Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-24-2013, 08:12 AM   #121
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordKronos View Post
Pushing someone (especially someone who can't swim well) into water before they are ready probably isn't a good idea. But he could have helped him up the steps. Along those lines, why was Aras the ony one helping Gervase swim that last segment? It seemed like the others were just waiting by the boat for them to get there. Why didn't anyone else swim back and give Aras a hand pulling Gervase along?
Because they were all untying the knots so that when Aras and Gervase got there, the boat would be ready to go.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:42 AM   #122
LordKronos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Because they were all untying the knots so that when Aras and Gervase got there, the boat would be ready to go.
I'll have to watch it again, but I though I just saw them all hanging onto the side of the boat, watching Aras and Gervase. Though even then, you don't really know how they edit this stuff, so I guess it doesn't say much.

But if you are right, I do find that odd. Usually, isn't the requirement that the whole tribe has to arrive at the location before anyone can begin working on that part of the challenge? That's what makes the slow people get so much resentment. I wonder why they would have done it differently this time.
LordKronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:09 AM   #123

I just watched. Meh.

I want a season where there only is one tribe. Start with 20 and work your way down.
702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:06 AM   #124
dfergie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcour View Post
I really like him, both professionally and personally. I think he's the best host on reality tv (not that I'm an expert, by any means). I think he does an excellent job of exerting authority over the game and the players without arrogance or ego, and seems genuinely interested in what the players are going through and the strategic dynamics of both the individuals and the tribes.
Without Jeff there would be no Survivor, I doubt it would have lasted more than one season...
dfergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:11 AM   #125
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfergie View Post
Without Jeff there would be no Survivor, I doubt it would have lasted more than one season...
Hard to say. We are very used to Jeff. Doesn't mean someone else couldn't do the same job as Jeff or better. But the show is molded the way he wanted. Personally I don't like that he has so much influence in the outcome of the game, but the game has always been played that way, so it is what it is.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:29 PM   #126
VegasVic
Craps Player

Remember the season when Rosie did the reunion show instead of Probst? Ugh. Byrant Gumbel hosted a couple of those as well. What the hell was CBS thinking?
Old 09-24-2013, 12:30 PM   #127
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasVic View Post
Remember the season when Rosie did the reunion show instead of Probst? Ugh. Byrant Gumbel hosted a couple of those as well. What the hell was CBS thinking?
Totally agreed.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:44 PM   #128
dirtypacman
Coming and going

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfergie View Post
Jeff did not make Survivor what it is, he helped mold it to the point it has evolved but he did not make Season 1 or any of the seasons by any means. And yes I understand his role both in production and inside the game itself.

Saying Jeff is the best reality show host is comparable to saying "so and so" is the best QB on the NY Jets. They all stink, but he stinks the least.
3) PIONEER #810H-S
4) TIVO Series 2 80 Hour

Comcast HD & Digital
home wired network (4) USB200M
dirtypacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:48 PM   #129
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtypacman View Post
Jeff did not make Survivor what it is, he helped mold it to the point it has evolved but he did not make Season 1 or any of the seasons by any means. And yes I understand his role both in production and inside the game itself.

Saying Jeff is the best reality show host is comparable to saying "so and so" is the best QB on the NY Jets. They all stink, but he stinks the least.
I don't think he stinks. I think he's very good actually. It's just hard to say if anyone could have been better, since there's no one to compare to.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:50 PM   #130
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasVic View Post
I thought Gumbel was very good and in some respects better than Jeff, because he could think of the questions more to the point of view of a fan, since he wasn't actively involved in the show 24/7. He's an excellent interviewer. Rosie was just a train wreck. That could have been you or me hosting that show, she was such a fan girl.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:21 PM   #131
Amnesia
The Question

Maybe Colby could take over if Jeff left. I think Colby does a good job on Top Shot...
Amnesia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:28 PM   #132
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

At this point, Probst is synonymous with Survivor. I don't think you can have the show without him. And I think he does a pretty good job all in all.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:07 PM   #133
VegasVic
Craps Player

He's 51, his talk show lasted one season. He'll be on the Survivor gravy train until it's over.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:24 PM   #134
gweempose

Anyone remember when Probst used to host Rock & Roll Jeopardy? Seems like an eternity ago. I loved that show!
(3) Minis

gweempose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:40 PM   #135
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
Anyone remember when Probst used to host Rock & Roll Jeopardy? Seems like an eternity ago. I loved that show!
I still have a Season Pass for it on one of my TiVos. Unfortunately, it never repeats anymore. I remember when they had actual rock stars on playing for charity and Mark McGrath from Sugar Ray knew EVERYTHING!
Old 09-24-2013, 02:41 PM   #136
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post

SO and I used to watch it all the time on the weekends back when we started dating. When Survivor started and we started watching it we were both like, HEY! It's the Rock and Roll Jeopardy guy!
Old 09-25-2013, 06:15 AM   #137
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordKronos View Post
But if you are right, I do find that odd. Usually, isn't the requirement that the whole tribe has to arrive at the location before anyone can begin working on that part of the challenge? That's what makes the slow people get so much resentment. I wonder why they would have done it differently this time.
They did have to wait for everyone to get up on the platform before they could go further, but you're right and I found it strange as well that some could start on the boat while people were still trying to get OFF the platform into the water. That really helped the returning players; they were able to catch up completely even though Gervase was so bad. Of course then they lost it all again by not being able to paddle a boat.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:26 AM   #138
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
At this point, Probst is synonymous with Survivor. I don't think you can have the show without him. And I think he does a pretty good job all in all.
I think you could. Why not? The Price is Right went on without Bob Barker after 20 or more years. Jeopardy went on after Art Fleming and now we think of Alex Trebeck as the host of the show.

Would it be the same? Of course not. It actually might freshen the show up a bit.