TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 4.91 average.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:04 AM   #121
tough joe

i had the same problem with person of interest - the HD recording just stopped in the middle of the show. only recording about 41 minutes of the show. then when I work up this morning, live tv was all messed up. I could rewind live tv but not play current live tv. only way to get out of it was to restart the unit. I do not have a tuning adapter. this is the same problem I had with my old premiere - and now im having this problem with my new roamio? I switched the cable card from the old premiere to the new roamio and it paired successfully. don't know whats going on here. getting ready to move to the cable company's dvr.
tough joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:37 AM   #122
uw69

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilfried View Post
I am in Seattle too with the same issue on FOX. My TiVo also shows those recordings as "partial". Anyone else sees that?
Not sure how widespread this issue is but you are not alone. This thread is getting pretty long, but if you have the time and scan through it, there are multiple folks in the Seattle area that have this issue. I am recording FOX shows in SD or on a series 3 box as a temporary workaround.
1 Roamio plus 470 hours
3 TiVo Mini's
uw69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:59 AM   #123
uw69

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
Here's the latest:

As of tonight, we have streams in our lab that demonstrate this problem, and we can see the issue that causes the failures with fast-forward and rewind. Hopefully this will lead us to quickly understand what is causing the problem, and how to fix it.

There is an update coming to Roamio in the next day or two that fixes some other issues (not this one). Assuming we quickly understand the problem now that we can reproduce it, I would expect another update for Roamio within a couple of weeks to contain a fix for this issue.

(For those of you that can't wait that long, it may be possible to put you in an early access Beta for the update. I'll post more as soon as I have a confirmed fix.)

I sincerely apologize to those of you suffering from this problem. I can only imagine how frustrating it must be.

Thanks (again) for your patience.

--Margret
Thank you for the update!
1 Roamio plus 470 hours
3 TiVo Mini's
Old 09-25-2013, 08:12 AM   #124
BayouBoy32

Thanks Margret.

Quote:
Here's the latest:

As of tonight, we have streams in our lab that demonstrate this problem, and we can see the issue that causes the failures with fast-forward and rewind. Hopefully this will lead us to quickly understand what is causing the problem, and how to fix it.

There is an update coming to Roamio in the next day or two that fixes some other issues (not this one). Assuming we quickly understand the problem now that we can reproduce it, I would expect another update for Roamio within a couple of weeks to contain a fix for this issue.

(For those of you that can't wait that long, it may be possible to put you in an early access Beta for the update. I'll post more as soon as I have a confirmed fix.)

I sincerely apologize to those of you suffering from this problem. I can only imagine how frustrating it must be.

--Margret
That is great news, Margret. Glad you were able to recreate the problem and see that we truly had a problem, minor for some but bigger for others. The Roamio is the best unit so far and when this problem gets fixed it will be really great.

Thanks Margret.
Dan
BayouBoy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:56 AM   #125
JasonD

At least for me fox isn't my goto station. The only thing on it that I'm interested in is Sleepy Hollow and that I can watch on SD.
JasonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:48 AM   #126
rdh91007

Why hasn't Tech Support been informed?

The Roamio code base is all new and unforeseen problems can arise.

I have only one beef with TiVo.

Tech Support should have been informed of this problem, probably more than two weeks ago. This would have assisted the gathering of information to assist in nailing down and fixing the problem.

As far as I can determine Tech Support still hasn't been informed.
rdh91007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:56 PM   #127
tough joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by uw69 View Post
Thank you for the update!
Quote:
Here's the latest:

--Margret
oh thank god. ive swaped out 3 cable cards and I have a tech from the cable company coming out to check the lines.
tough joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:06 PM   #128
BayouBoy32

Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdh91007 View Post
The Roamio code base is all new and unforeseen problems can arise.

I have only one beef with TiVo.

Tech Support should have been informed of this problem, probably more than two weeks ago. This would have assisted the gathering of information to assist in nailing down and fixing the problem.

As far as I can determine Tech Support still hasn't been informed.
I agree. I wasted time with 3 calls to support and was told they have not heard of problem or had anyone else reported this problem.

Not until I googled problem did I find how many ppl are having the problem. And thanks to Margaret Schmidt we should see this problem solved soon.
BayouBoy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:08 PM   #129
rdh91007

Mini affected by problem too

I should add that a Mini connected to a Roamio will have problems connecting to a channel that causes the Trickplay bug. The mini may connect, but after a while the spinning icon will be displayed and the Mini will have to be power cycled.

A tech support rep called this a network problem and wouldn't open a case because "TiVo doesn't support networks with switches."

How can TiVo claim whole house and up to 6 Minis and not support switches. Of course someone may say MOCA, but that has a unique set of potential problems.

I really want to see TiVo succeed, but not informing Tech support of known problems and not working through problems with customers is a pathway to failure.
rdh91007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:35 AM   #130
flar

I just noticed this issue tonight (or perhaps something very similar). I thought that I hadn't had it before the update that arrived this evening, but then I realized that I had never spent much time on the channel causing it (801, the HD HBO channel on SF Bay Area Comcast).

I first realized I was experiencing it when I rebooted to pick up the update and the Pro came back with all tuners set to 801 (cute). When I went to Live TV I got a V53 error, but the channel was displaying perfectly. I switched around to all 6 tuners and some of them would give a V53 and some did not. I then noticed that the ones giving V53 had no history (no green bar) and would not seek. I didn't try all of the recording tests listed in the OP, but the missing green bar reminded me of this thread.

I did try carefully tracking the tuners and forcing an erring tuner away from the channel and back on to it and it worked fine the second time. Another tuner that was showing the error still showed it when I went away and back. When there are 6 tuners all on the same problem channel, maybe 2 or 3 will show the problem randomly (not necessarily the same tuners every time).

In any case, nobody here has mentioned V53 before so this may be a new manifestation of the basic problem...?
selling TiVo Series 3, WD10EVCS, lifetime from Series 2
retired TiVo Series 2, 80 hour
flar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:35 PM   #131
TiVoMargret
VP of Design, TiVo

We are getting really close!

Again, I apologize for how frustrating this has been.

We now understand the issue, and how to fix it. The fix is in process. For those of you that would like to help verify that it solves your issues, please:

1. Sign up for the Beta program at:
http://fieldtrials.tivo.com

2. Send me email (margret@tivo.com) with the subject: "FOX Trickplay fix"

Thanks,
--Margret
TiVo Inc. *
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TiVoMargret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:51 PM   #132
fdisker2000

Quote:

We now understand the issue, and how to fix it. The fix is in process. For those of you that would like to help verify that it solves your issues, please:

Thanks,
--Margret
Thanks Margret, it's good to see that TiVo is on top of this.
fdisker2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:22 PM   #133
uw69

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdisker2000 View Post
Thanks Margret, it's good to see that TiVo is on top of this.
+1
1 Roamio plus 470 hours
3 TiVo Mini's
Old 09-26-2013, 01:55 PM   #134
djdanska

I haven't been able to record or even watch the Simpson's in over 2 weeks on Fox. Getting very annoying. What is Fox pulling here?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
djdanska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:42 PM   #135
flar

Quote:

Thanks,
--Margret
Thanks Margret!

I wonder if my problems are the same, though, as I mentioned that I am getting a V53 error that doesn't seem to be mentioned by others in this thread. It does have the same symptom of not having a green progress bar in Live TV mode. Others are now reporting the V53 errors in another thread:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=509400

Might the V53 errors (involving a live picture, but no local buffer) be fixed by the same trial?
selling TiVo Series 3, WD10EVCS, lifetime from Series 2
retired TiVo Series 2, 80 hour
flar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:42 PM   #136
TiVoMargret
VP of Design, TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
Thanks Margret!

I wonder if my problems are the same, though, as I mentioned that I am getting a V53 error that doesn't seem to be mentioned by others in this thread. It does have the same symptom of not having a green progress bar in Live TV mode. Others are now reporting the V53 errors in another thread:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=509400

Might the V53 errors (involving a live picture, but no local buffer) be fixed by the same trial?
No, but I'm having the engineers look into the V53 issue.
TiVo Inc. *

Old 09-26-2013, 06:43 PM   #137
TiVoMargret
VP of Design, TiVo

For those who have signed up for the Beta to test the "FOX Trickplay Fix" -- I expect the update to be available Monday night. (if all goes well)

--Margret
TiVo Inc. *

Old 09-26-2013, 07:18 PM   #138
uw69

Quote:
For those who have signed up for the Beta to test the "FOX Trickplay Fix" -- I expect the update to be available Monday night. (if all goes well)

--Margret
thank you!
1 Roamio plus 470 hours
3 TiVo Mini's
Old 09-27-2013, 09:50 AM   #139
zend

Quote:

--Margret
Hi, Margret - I've sent you a couple of emails with my info but haven't received a response. Are you sending email replies to people who request participation in the beta or should I assume that if I've sent you mail I'll be included?

Thanks for being so proactive and communicative on this issue.

Update: I'm good now. Thanks, Margret!

Last edited by zend : 09-27-2013 at 05:13 PM.
zend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:41 PM   #140
synch22

In Seattle xfinity ..channel 113 and having this issue 2nd day in row. I attempted reboot no fix. The channel won't record or buffer properly.

Glad to see others having same issue. Only channel I've noticed the issue on. Not good for football sat and Sunday!

TiVo Margaret

This is also causing a freeze on the TiVo mini
Twice now when I tried to tune in fox on the mini I got the spinning icon which did not go away until I unplugged the mini. The mini can not even tune the picture or channel , the roamio at least shows the content.

Last edited by synch22 : 09-29-2013 at 04:37 PM.
synch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:42 PM   #141
swerver

Yes I just had the same problems, no rewind on football and mini got the spinny. Red zone channel is fine when playing fox. (trying to take this in stride...)
swerver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:05 AM   #142
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by synch22 View Post
In Seattle xfinity ..channel 113 and having this issue 2nd day in row. I attempted reboot no fix. The channel won't record or buffer properly.

Glad to see others having same issue. Only channel I've noticed the issue on. Not good for football sat and Sunday!

TiVo Margaret

This is also causing a freeze on the TiVo mini
Twice now when I tried to tune in fox on the mini I got the spinning icon which did not go away until I unplugged the mini. The mini can not even tune the picture or channel , the roamio at least shows the content.
Same here. I didn't know these two problems are related though.

My mini started acting up a couple of days ago. Even when it is connected to Premier XL4. Sometimes the guide doesn't come up (it claims network problem even though it is playing the current show just fine. Worse, it forces you to abandon whatever it is you are watching and kicks you to the home screen) and other times it hangs (when it tries to show My Shows).

This is really frustrating. You take it for granted that an equipment that you paid more than 1k for would work as expected. Or at least doesn't have as many problems as I am running into.
Gadfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:58 AM   #143
ahwman

For those of you who get a spinning icon on the Mini when trying to tune one of these problem channels, you can use the TiVo iOS app to tune to a different channel and avoid having to reboot the Mini. Hopefully soon this problem will be fixed.
ahwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:02 AM   #144
ahwman

Quote:

--Margret
I'm looking forward to testing it Margaret, crossing my fingers! By the way, could you please also make sure that the engineers are working on a fix for the audio slip issue where audio will slip from stereo to mono sporadically. This issue has been around for a long time on the Premiere and now the Roamio and they keep saying that a fix is forthcoming.

Thank you for all that you do for us Margret!
ahwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:42 PM   #145
Gadfly

So it turns out I cannot participate in the beta program because I work for a company that Tivo considers a competitor.

Hopefully the fix will be rolled out to the public soon.

Edit:
In particular this problem seems to be specific to Comcast in Seattle area where some companies (well, at least one) that Tivo considers a competitor have a strong presence. Those of you that have signed up for the beta might want to make sure to read the NDA agreement carefully.

Last edited by Gadfly : 09-30-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Gadfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:35 PM   #146
fdisker2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
So it turns out I cannot participate in the beta program because I work for a company that Tivo considers a competitor.

Hopefully the fix will be rolled out to the public soon.

Edit:
In particular this problem seems to be specific to Comcast in Seattle area where some companies (well, at least one) that Tivo considers a competitor have a strong presence. Those of you that have signed up for the beta might want to make sure to read the NDA agreement carefully.
Shhhh! First rule of beta testing: Don't talk about beta testing. /jk
Old 10-02-2013, 01:05 AM   #147
seattletivo

This bug is really frustrating. First it messed up the recording to the first Seahawks game: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb....php?t=508812a and on Sunday it messed up one of the animation domination shows. Both times it was on 113/Fox. I've emailed TiVoMargret and really hoping I can get on the beta.
seattletivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:26 AM   #148
fdisker2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattletivo View Post
This bug is really frustrating. First it messed up the recording to the first Seahawks game: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb....php?t=508812a and on Sunday it messed up one of the animation domination shows. Both times it was on 113/Fox. I've emailed TiVoMargret and really hoping I can get on the beta.
For now the best alternative is to record the SD feed channel 13. The problem doesn't appear to effect the standard definition broadcast.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:19 AM   #149
uw69

Typically beta testers are required to agree to a non-disclosure agreement (NDA). If indeed you are a beta tester you may want to delete your post.
1 Roamio plus 470 hours
3 TiVo Mini's
Old 10-03-2013, 09:21 AM   #150
fdisker2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaundice22 View Post
So far the beta testing for the fox trickplay issue has worked for me. I taped fox shows and they recorded properly. I watched them live and they buffered properly.

So far so good.

Only thing i haven't tested is "live" tv broadcasts on fox like football. Ready to test that feature out this Sunday.
Shhhh! First rule of beta testing: Don't talk about beta testing. /jk