TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-24-2013, 08:06 PM   #31
Bettamojo5
Rolling Along

Watched it, liked it, season pass set.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:42 PM   #32
ElJay

I thought it was rather terrible. Spader is the only reason I'll give it another episode in the hope they dial the stupid down a notch.
ElJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:25 PM   #33
BradJW

I watched Hostages last night and saved the Blacklist for tonight. The Blacklist was definitely better. Nice to see Spader back on TV in a decent role.

I'm gonna keep watching both. I like the fact that Hostages is billed as a 13 episode miniseries, so I don't need to devote a ton of time to it.

But I pretty much liked everything about The Blacklist.
BradJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:40 PM   #34
bsnelson
I'm an Android, baby

TC CLUB MEMBER
A lot of tropes, yes, but some good stuff.

I can't believe nobody's brought this up yet, but we've already been shown the key to some of Reddington's omniscience: He's behind the operative that was clearly placed to become her husband. That's where he got his info about her (my wife gets credit for noticing this).

If nothing else, as has oft been said already, we're in for Spader.

Brad
bsnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:58 PM   #35
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsnelson View Post
I can't believe nobody's brought this up yet, but we've already been shown the key to some of Reddington's omniscience: He's behind the operative that was clearly placed to become her husband. That's where he got his info about her (my wife gets credit for noticing this).
Noticing what, exactly?
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:23 PM   #36
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I liked it. I enjoy Spader and will stay for that. Him getting a pen in the neck was a surprise.

I thought the attack on the bridge was hinky and I asked why couldn't she take the bomb and throw it back out the window?

I kept feeling like Silence of the Lambs throughout it. Sitting and facing each other to talk, then later with him making certain requests for food and such.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:39 PM   #37
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

Well dang. I came here hoping it would be a landslide one way or the other, but it seems fairly evenly split. Now I guess I'll have to watch and decide on my own.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:46 PM   #38
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

I enjoyed it more than I wanted to.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:48 PM   #39
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushikitten View Post
Now I guess I'll have to watch and decide on my own.
Don'cha hate when that happens?
Old 09-25-2013, 12:05 AM   #40
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Not great, but good enough to keep watching.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:53 AM   #41
Archangel00

Liked it. 2nd best thing I've seen from NBC in a loooooong time. (Chicago Fire being 1st)
Archangel00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:50 AM   #42
marksman
ID-10-T

I really enjoyed it. James Spader best work since Tough Turf.

I thought I was well done and will provide an interesting basis for a procedural. In the vein of POI which has a bit more heft than the typical procedural.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:52 AM   #43
brettatk
If I Only Knew

I love James Spader. He alone is enough for me to keep the SP although I did enjoy it. Looking forward to what might come.
brettatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:00 AM   #44
ADG
Allan

100% derivative of Silence of the Lambs (especially the first half), completely unbelievable and ridiculous situations straight across the board, and way too convenient resolutions. But a fun ride - and James Spader!!! We'll keep watching for a while

ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:14 AM   #45
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwit View Post
Actually wasn't so bad. Pleasantly surprised.

Don't really pay much attention to new shows, etc., unless a Tivo ad catches my attention.

Thanks for the heads up.
So, what do you watch then? Rockford Files and Murder She Wrote?

markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:21 AM   #46
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

I liked it a lot, for a pilot. It moved fast and wasn't TOO ridiculous (as noted above, the fact that Red set the entire thing up ended up making it much more believable than it would have been otherwise, and solved some of the really terrible plot holes).

And I do like Spader.

BTW, someone above said that the husband getting mad was not believable: actually I thought he didn't get mad at all, as you'd expect from a TV show. His reaction seemed quite realistic to me, surprisingly so. He just wanted reassurance that she really wanted to go through with it, then he handled it himself without any complaints.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:54 AM   #47
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsnelson View Post
A lot of tropes, yes, but some good stuff.

If nothing else, as has oft been said already, we're in for Spader.

Brad
Do you mean "realizing" or "predicting" rather than "noticing" or did I miss clues in the show that revealed this?
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:27 AM   #48
bsnelson
I'm an Android, baby

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
Do you mean "realizing" or "predicting" rather than "noticing" or did I miss clues in the show that revealed this?
Yes, poor choice of words on my part; it's more "realizing" or "predicting", although, it's "obvious" to her.

Brad
bsnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:48 AM   #49
dwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by markz View Post
So, what do you watch then? Rockford Files and Murder She Wrote?
I do seem watch most things when they go into rerun.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:59 AM   #50
purwater
I make tasty water

My wife and I enjoyed it. Everything can't be as good as Breaking Bad and some nice action and spy fun is always a good time. I'll be shocked if Spader isn't the father more than any other plot they could come up with.
purwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:04 AM   #51
LlamaLarry

It was an okay pilot, but not sure that Red proves his value by catching a bad guy he got into the country and plan he put into motion.

Was the weird engraving on the top of her hubby's secret spy reveal kit based on Liz's scar?
LlamaLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:25 AM   #52
milo99

i liked it enough to keep watching for now.

as for anything that hasn't been said, i'll say this- if Red is indeed her father, as it seems the show is dropping a ton of hints that he is, then they better "reveal" that within an episode or 2. Because if they wait to reveal something that is so obvious, it's going to be a total dud of a "twist".

However, if that is all misdirection and he's not actually her dad, but like someone else suggested he put hubby up to spying on her, or had some other connection to her, then a later reveal is fine with me.
milo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:09 PM   #53
Beryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo99 View Post
if Red is indeed her father, as it seems the show is dropping a ton of hints that he is, then they better "reveal" that within an episode or 2. Because if they wait to reveal something that is so obvious, it's going to be a total dud of a "twist". However, if that is all misdirection and he's not actually her dad, but like someone else suggested he put hubby up to spying on her, or had some other connection to her, then a later reveal is fine with me.
This. If she is as smart as she seems to be, she should be determining his paternal status by episode 3.

I hope it gets a little more like "Person of Interest" than "The Silence of the Lambs" in the next episodes.
Beryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:20 PM   #54
hefe
Rebus Philbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
Quite a bit like Silence of the Lambs.
Yeah, I thought a lot of that plus a dash of 24.

The pilot seemed a bit rushed. They wanted to get a lot set up. Plus it was predictable. Still, I enjoyed it. It's a great role for Spader, and I like watching him. I think it has good potential.

Hefe's a cruel man, but fair.~edhara
That hefe, he's really smart!~Fish Man
hefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:21 PM   #55
hefe
Rebus Philbin

If I were making this show, I'd drop in little Silence of the Lambs references and jokes, like showing Spader eating fava beans or something.

Hefe's a cruel man, but fair.~edhara
That hefe, he's really smart!~Fish Man
hefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:21 PM   #56
markp99
TakoKichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefe View Post
If I were making this show, I'd drop in little Silence of the Lambs references and jokes, like showing Spader eating fava beans or something.
He seemed to be enjoying a nice chianti at the hotel!
markp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:31 PM   #57
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by purwater View Post
My wife and I enjoyed it. Everything can't be as good as Breaking Bad and some nice action and spy fun is always a good time. I'll be shocked if Spader isn't the father more than any other plot they could come up with.
The first time she walked in to talk to him, he definitely had a "proud papa" expression on his face.

If he isn't her father, it's a good bit of misdirection.
scooterboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:13 PM   #58
Ereth

The one thing I don't think I've seen commented on is that Spader was clearly working with the bad guy, and his surrender and reveal of the kidnapping plot was a necessary part for the plot to succeed.

Had he not alerted the agents to that, they wouldn't have been carrying the girl across the bridge at that time, for the "chemical spill" to turn them around and set them up for everything that follows.

Spader is clearly playing both sides.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:54 PM   #59
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
The one thing I don't think I've seen commented on is that Spader was clearly working with the bad guy, and his surrender and reveal of the kidnapping plot was a necessary part for the plot to succeed.

Had he not alerted the agents to that, they wouldn't have been carrying the girl across the bridge at that time, for the "chemical spill" to turn them around and set them up for everything that follows.

Not clear at all. While it is possible Red was working with Zamani, it is also possible (and perhaps more likely) that Red was manipulating Zamani, making him think he was working with him when Red was actually just using him as a tool to accomplish his goals and/or to defeat or kill Zamani.

And I'm not sure why you think Zamani could not have come up with another absurd plan that would never work (but actually does work) to kidnap the girl without her being in a convoy of FBI agents.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:10 PM   #60
FrodoB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post

I thought this as well. The only alternative to the "I know I'm sending you into a trap effect" I can see is that maybe the girl would have had a nanny pick her up and something similar happened, but several heavily armed men to take out one nanny seems unlikely.

However, I think the possibility that he was just manipulating Zamani is likely as well. I will say, though, that if he really was deep cover like was surmised earlier, he has an awfully callous regard towards the life of his fellow FBI agents. Heck, even if he's *not* deep cover and is just in it for simple revenge or something like that, he took quite the risk with his new "friend" Elizabeth....
FrodoB is offline   Reply With Quote