TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-23-2013, 07:42 PM   #1
Gifted1

Why would I need a cable card? Any alternative?

So I just bought a Tivo Premier after replacing my Tivo S2.

I don't subscribe to cable. I do get regular channels though Time Warner though. My building has it set up where all I have to do is plug the cable wire from the wall to my tv (or now my Tivo). I get all the regular local channels in SD & HD, plus any of the regular channels that are provided when you get OTA channels.

So I set my Tivo up and noticed that the HD channels are black. It will not receive signal. But if I switch to the antenna channels, I get the HD channels. The problem is that there is no guide or any information shown for those channels. Just the channel number.

This makes it difficult because I can not set season passes or schedule recording for any of the antenna HD channels unless I get a cable card. I have no subscription to Time Warner so there is no way i can get one.

Is there an alternative. It's really annoying. I can set them to record on the SD channels but really... I havn't looked at an SD channel since I got my HDTV a few years ago. I do not want to record in SD.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
Gifted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:06 PM   #2
GBL
covert opiniative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gifted1 View Post
But if I switch to the antenna channels, I get the HD channels. The problem is that there is no guide or any information shown for those channels. Just the channel number.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
If they truly are antenna channels,perhaps you can redo your guided setup,specify "antenna only" or "antenna plus cable", and you may get guide data. Antenna channels usually are labeled 11.1 or 4-1, etc.

unpaid volunteer, TiVo army
GBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:30 PM   #3
Gifted1

OK I just did a little more researching and see that Tivo doesnt have any guide information for clear QAM signals so that is why I can't get any guide info for the OTA HD channels. I don't know why because it is the same exact guide as the SD channel (example... NBC is 4 and the HD NBC channel is 4.1. I get a guide for the the SD channel but not the HD channel). That really sucks. I wish there was a way to designate a specific channel guide to a channel.
Gifted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:38 AM   #4
buscuitboy

Keep in mind & from my understanding, Time Warner is the next big cable company to go all digital & roll it out to all customers. I have Comcast and they did it last year. This basically means you need a cable card or DTA (digital transport adapter ) of some kind on EVERY TV. No more simply plugging the coaxial cable from the wall right into your TV or TiVo.

I think you may be able to still get local channels without any additional equipment, but anything else needs some sort of channel encryption decoding. I personally thinks this stinks on some level, but its the direction the industry is going.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:51 AM   #5
tatergator1

Your setup is a little unclear based on the terminology you're using, but, it sounds like you have a coax from the wall that provides the Time Warner SD channels(presumably Analog Cable). It also sounds like you may have your own HD antenna in your apartment to pickup the OTA HD versions of the locals. Since this is a Base 2-tuner Premiere, it has two inputs, Cable and Antenna. You should be able to attach the TWC cable and OTA antenna to the appropriate inputs, and then re-run Guided Setup on the Tivo, selecting the option of Cable and OTA during the process.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:54 AM   #6
SugarBowl

That's why you need a cablecard. So that you can get the guide data for the HD channels.. and most likely, you will get several additional HD channels that you can't see yet.

but since you don't subscribe to cable.. getting a cable card for your Time Warner feed could be tricky.
SugarBowl is offline   Reply With Quote