Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-21-2013, 08:51 PM   #31
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
I've seen the writers and they look like some serious throwbacks to the sixties.
Carlton Cuse & Damon Lindelof? Really?

Quote:
One of the best shows ever? Definitely not. One of the most disappointing, perhaps.
Sounds like YMMV. I feel 180.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:04 PM   #32
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

I think it was both. One of the best, and one of the most disappointing.

It's too bad that what was for me the most important and interesting parts of the show, was for them just filler.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:26 AM   #33
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by wprager View Post
And just like a rollercoaster ride, after the last big drop there was a sudden stop, and a slow roll back to the starting position. In other words the ride was over way before you could get off.
I don't ever want to ride the rollercoaster where you can get off before the ride is over
Old 09-22-2013, 09:19 AM   #34
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post

It's too bad that what was for me the most important and interesting parts of the show, was for them just filler.
I agree. It started out as one of the best and then just went south towards the end. What ticked me off the most was that they would introduce a situation and then drop it from the storyline. IIRC, they introduced the smoke monster in the first season and then forgot about it until the final episodes. The ending reminded me of the miniseries they did for Stephen King's "It." It was scary at the beginning and then it was reduced to a stupid monster movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Carlton Cuse & Damon Lindelof? Really?

Sounds like YMMV. I feel 180.
This show probably caused more controversy than any other show I've ever seen. You either loved it or you hated it or both. In the end, it just pissed me off.
As for the writers, they did a special about Lost where they interviewed the writers and they both looked like they just came out of a Hangover sequel. They looked nothing like the picture above.

Last edited by mr.unnatural : 09-22-2013 at 09:25 AM.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:38 AM   #35
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
How does it treat the audience as anything but confused? Some of the smartest people I know watched that show and most of them were scratching their heads trying to figure out what the writers were trying to portray while in their drug-induced stupor. I've seen the writers and they look like some serious throwbacks to the sixties.
You seem more upset that there are those of us who understood what was going on and you didn't. I'm sorry you feel like you threw away 5 years, perhaps you should have bailed earlier.

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:35 PM   #36
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
What ticked me off the most was that they would introduce a situation and then drop it from the storyline. IIRC, they introduced the smoke monster in the first season and then forgot about it until the final episodes.
Just a WAG, but I would bet every single season had multiple appearances of Smoky.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #37
JMikeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Just a WAG, but I would bet every single season had multiple appearances of Smoky.
I just finished a re-watch of the entire series, and yes, Smokey showed up in all the seasons.

I enjoyed the series much more the second time around, when I could watch multiple episodes several days a week. I read the appropriate entries in the Finding Lost books for each episode, also.

This time around, the ending didn't bother me at all.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:34 PM   #38
philw1776

Quote:

Yes
That's why I have never re-watched the show I once loved. No point to it.
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:42 PM   #39
Freshman JS
Blue Devil - x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post
The problem with Lost, one of the best TV series ever, is that by introducing and telling the stories of Jake & his bro in detail in Season 6 they made 90% of what transpired the 1st 5 seasons irrelevant or greatly diminished. Why it's still great is the soap opera of the characters' lives and interactions. Oh, and Kate.
how did that make anything that happened in the 1st 5 seasons irrelevant?
Old 09-22-2013, 09:56 PM   #40
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshman JS View Post
Because basically ALL that happened before had little to do with the two brothers' battle. It just felt that all the Dharma stuff, the Others, the stuff with Whitmore, were pretty meaningless in the bigger picture of the brothers' chess game. It was like five years of interesting plot lines were completely meaningless. I loved the ride for those 5 years, but the 6th year I could have done without.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:38 PM   #41
philw1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshman JS View Post
See prior post
Old 09-22-2013, 11:23 PM   #42
Johnny Dancing
Closet Rebel

I loved Lost. One of my favorite shows ever and I enjoyed every minute of the ride. I plan on buying the deluxe BD set one day when I am not busy and will watch it over 3 or 4 months. Not sure when that will be but I look forward to a re-watch over a short period of time.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:41 AM   #43
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Dancing View Post
I loved Lost. One of my favorite shows ever and I enjoyed every minute of the ride. I plan on buying the deluxe BD set one day when I am not busy and will watch it over 3 or 4 months. Not sure when that will be but I look forward to a re-watch over a short period of time.
I've been saying that for years now, and I've started twice and never got past halfway through S1. It's not that I don't want to rewatch, but I just don't have the time. Even in the summer, I find things to watch and with Netflix, I have been exploring series that I never had time for before (or in channels I didn't sub to).
Old 09-23-2013, 10:23 AM   #44
Johnny Dancing
Closet Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I've been saying that for years now, and I've started twice and never got past halfway through S1. It's not that I don't want to rewatch, but I just don't have the time. Even in the summer, I find things to watch and with Netflix, I have been exploring series that I never had time for before (or in channels I didn't sub to).
While summering at the beach house would be the perfect time.

The problem now is I use my empty time on vacation to work. Damn Interwebs.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:01 PM   #45
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchance View Post
You seem more upset that there are those of us who understood what was going on and you didn't. I'm sorry you feel like you threw away 5 years, perhaps you should have bailed earlier.

Greg
If you understood everything that was going on from the very beginning right up to the last episode then you're a very special person indeed. Most of the people I talked to ended up getting lost (pun intended ) somewhere around the 4th season, IIRC.

For me, most shows that are really well done have always stuck with me to where I can usually recall most of the episodes at a later point in time, or at least the key facts about the storyline and the characters. Lost is but a fading memory and I can't even recall most of what I saw on that show. I just remember what a disappointment it turned out to be because I had such high hopes for it to be much better.

Again, YMMV.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:33 PM   #46
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
If you understood everything that was going on from the very beginning right up to the last episode then you're a very special person indeed. Most of the people I talked to ended up getting lost (pun intended ) somewhere around the 4th season, IIRC.

For me, most shows that are really well done have always stuck with me to where I can usually recall most of the episodes at a later point in time, or at least the key facts about the storyline and the characters. Lost is but a fading memory and I can't even recall most of what I saw on that show. I just remember what a disappointment it turned out to be because I had such high hopes for it to be much better.

Again, YMMV.
I think I honestly understood the majority of what was explained on the show. Where it went terribly wrong is when ALL that stuff I had figured out over the years. The purpose of Dharma, why The Others were there, even why Jack felt he had to go back, was quickly washed away with that scene at the end of S5 where Jacob and the MIB were talking. At that scene NONE of made any more sense.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:57 PM   #47
mr.unnatural

Exactly. I wouldn't have had a problem if the storyline was coherent. Problem was, you'd get to a point where you thought you had things figured out and the writers would say, "Let's do this and really screw with their heads." I'd be watching and then go "WTF? What just happened?" I think they were running out of rational ideas and had to find creative ways to get the audience coming back just to see what was going on.

It left me far less than satisfied to find out I was watching a show about dead people and that everything they experienced wasn't real. The show was basically a 5-year dream sequence that had no real direction or purpose other than to generate ratings. I felt a bit betrayed in the end. I think they would have been better off leaving things open and let the audience draw their own conclusions rather than the lame ending they conjured up.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:02 PM   #48
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Exactly. I wouldn't have had a problem if the storyline was coherent. Problem was, you'd get to a point where you thought you had things figured out and the writers would say, "Let's do this and really screw with their heads." I'd be watching and then go "WTF? What just happened?" I think they were running out of rational ideas and had to find creative ways to get the audience coming back just to see what was going on.

It left me far less than satisfied to find out I was watching a show about dead people and that everything they experienced wasn't real. The show was basically a 5-year dream sequence that had no real direction or purpose other than to generate ratings. I felt a bit betrayed in the end. I think they would have been better off leaving things open and let the audience draw their own conclusions rather than the lame ending they conjured up.
WTF are you talking about? Are you sure you're talking about LOST? Who was dead?
Old 09-23-2013, 03:49 PM   #49
uncdrew
Annie 2.0

Is there a site that has LOST FAQs? I would love to read more about:

1. What was the Island?
2. Where was the Island?
3. What was the smoke?
4. What was the 4-toed statue?

That kind of thing.
uncdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:11 PM   #50
wprager

The only beefs I have with Lost are the Niki/Paolo episode and the horrible job Allison Janney did with her Latin (actually I kinda hated that whole episode and wasn't that crazy about Ricardo's backstory, either). OK, and John and Yoko took up way too much time (double the dialog just because he didn't like to speak English).

Anyhow, lots of minor beefs, but no issue with the major ones.
wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:12 PM   #51
wprager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
WTF are you talking about? Are you sure you're talking about LOST? Who was dead?
Must be a troll. I didn't think you could get an account here if you still thought they were all dead.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:59 PM   #52
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wprager View Post
Must be a troll. I didn't think you could get an account here if you still thought they were all dead.
Well, they were at one point. In LA, in the last season.

I guess if you knew that and didn't think about it too much, you could get confused...
Old 09-23-2013, 06:30 PM   #53
wprager

Quote:
Well, they were at one point. In LA, in the last season.

I guess if you knew that and didn't think about it too much, you could get confused...
Yes, the "not" Purgatory.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:33 PM   #54
philw1776

Quote:
I think I honestly understood the majority of what was explained on the show. Where it went terribly wrong is when ALL that stuff I had figured out over the years. The purpose of Dharma, why The Others were there, even why Jack felt he had to go back, was quickly washed away with that scene at the end of S5 where Jacob and the MIB were talking. At that scene NONE of made any more sense.
Yes. The writers made the previous years' developments mostly irrelevant with Season 6. That's why my Blu-Ray discs sit unopened.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:21 PM   #55
smak
TV MA SLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
They didn't have a plan, so what? I liked the show for what it was, not because someone said that they knew where they were going with the show.
Nobody should ever have a plan that voids real life events.

If they had followed some sort of plan, the character of Ben would have been gone in a couple of episodes, instead of being one of the best things about the show in the last 4 years.

-smak-
smak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:42 PM   #56
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
a show about dead people and that everything they experienced wasn't real. The show was basically a 5-year dream sequence
They were alive the entire time they were alive. And everything they did was real, not a dream. They were dead in the Flash-Sideways, but alive the rest of the time. Island, flashback, flashforward.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:42 PM   #57
javabird

The plan was for Ben to go early in the season. There was such an overwhelming fan response to Ben, they decided to keep him around.
javabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:23 AM   #58
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
From the Lost Wikipedia for season six:

Quote:
The series finale reveals that the flash-sideways timeline is actually a form of limbo, where some of the survivors and other characters from the island are reunited after having died because their time on the island had been the most important part of their existence. In the end, the survivors are all reunited in a church where they "move on" together.
I took the ending to imply that everyone on the island was actually dead and that there were no survivors. I may have drawn the wrong conclusion, but my wife reached the same one that I did. By the end of the series I was "Lost." The thread title says it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncdrew View Post
Is there a site that has LOST FAQs? I would love to read more about:

1. What was the Island?
2. Where was the Island?
3. What was the smoke?
4. What was the 4-toed statue?

That kind of thing.
Try google. There are tons of website that talk about Lost and the things you listed, as well as just about every other spect of the show.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:27 AM   #59
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
From the Lost Wikipedia for season six:

I took the ending to imply that everyone on the island was actually dead and that there were no survivors. I may have drawn the wrong conclusion, but my wife reached the same one that I did. By the end of the series I was "Lost."
I think Hurley and Ben were NOT dead and were the caretakers of the Island. Everyone else was dead.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:30 AM   #60
mr.unnatural

Quote:
I think Hurley and Ben were NOT dead and were the caretakers of the Island. Everyone else was dead.
The fact that you say you think this is the case indicates you're not sure, making you just as confused as the rest of us. There are just too many things left open to interpretation to draw solid conclusions. I'm pretty sure the writers intended it to be that way just to stir up controversy.