Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-22-2013, 05:16 PM   #361
Marco
Yes, Mr. Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsnelson View Post
OK, all this talk about Walt's 52nd birthday and all (e.g. "why would his new identity have the same birthday") - we're rewatching the series and watched S05aE01 last night: You never actually see his DL to be able to verify the date, so we don't even know when this is with certainty. He could have chosen a birthdate 6 months offset from his real one. Shoot, he could have made himself a year younger and this "52nd birthday" at Denny's could be almost 2 years after the happenings of the episodes aired to date.

Just sayin'...

Brad
Why would he draw attention to himself with the bacon numerals on a fake-ID made-up 52nd birthday? Wouldn't that be incredibly stupid? Isn't it much easier to imagine him slipping up and doing that on his real birthday, out of nostalgia, grief, what have you?
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:20 PM   #362
bsnelson
I'm an Android, baby

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
Why would he draw attention to himself with the bacon numerals on a fake-ID made-up 52nd birthday? Wouldn't that be incredibly stupid? Isn't it much easier to imagine him slipping up and doing that on his real birthday, out of nostalgia, grief, what have you?
No, I mean that maybe he had his birthday changed on the new ID. He did have to show the ID to prove that it was his birthday, so we do know that whatever day this was, it's the one on the license.

As for drawing attention to himself - there weren't too many people around to notice, and certainly not many that would recognize him with the new "look".

Brad
bsnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:30 PM   #363
Marco
Yes, Mr. Tony

1. Imagine you have Walt's birthday tradition. Would you play with your bacon on your fake-ID birthday, or your real birthday?

2. The "attention" I'm talking about is the act of making him a memorable customer to the waitress, if the police should come asking. If he hadn't made bacon numbers or mentioned his birthday, she might forget all about him, which is a good thing if you're on the run, eh?
Old 09-22-2013, 05:31 PM   #364
Hank
AC•FTW

Despite all the alternate possibilities of this fake-id birthday being different or the same real life birthday, I think it was just a convenient "artistic license" moment for the writers to convey that only one year has actually transpired. No tin-foil hat conspiracy theories needed. Sometimes a banana is just a banana.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:56 PM   #365
jamesl

Quote:
2. The "attention" I'm talking about is the act of making him a memorable customer to the waitress, if the police should come asking. If he hadn't made bacon numbers or mentioned his birthday, she might forget all about him, which is a good thing if you're on the run, eh?
he plans on being dead in an hour and 15 minutes so he doesn't really care if she remembers him or not
jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:57 PM   #366
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Quote:
Didn't he tip her $100? If so, it doesn't matter what he did with the bacon.
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:05 PM   #367
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by markz View Post
Here's an interesting article showing what all has happened during the timeframe of the show:

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/enter...onology/68987/

I didn't see any spoilers.
A critical flaw in their analysis (excusable given the dateline) is revealed by the now-seen disclosure that Holly is 18 months old.
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:28 PM   #368
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
1. Imagine you have Walt's birthday tradition. Would you play with your bacon on your fake-ID birthday, or your real birthday?

$100 tip on a free breakfast is going to make him memorable no matter what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
Despite all the alternate possibilities of this fake-id birthday being different or the same real life birthday, I think it was just a convenient "artistic license" moment for the writers to convey that only one year has actually transpired. No tin-foil hat conspiracy theories needed. Sometimes a banana is just a banana.
Exactly. The writers did that so we would have a clue to the timeline. If Walt just chose some random day for his new birthday, and then went through the process of doing his birthday bacon tradition on a day that wasn't really his birthday, that would be kind of pointless to show the viewers.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:13 AM   #369
BitbyBlit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
Actually, it's 20s, 50s, and 100s if you look at the straps.
You're right. I was confusing this set of money with the money Walt got from Gus, which was never in 100s. (Except when Gus was angry at him.)

Even though I didn't remember any 10s, I knew there were 3 denominations, and so figured it had to be 10s, 20s, and 50s thinking there were no 100s.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:24 AM   #370
BitbyBlit

Quote:
Exactly. We have to look at the bacon first, then the ID. Obviously Walt was not doing the bacon tradition as a show for anyone else. Thus, we can conclude that he had an emotional connection to "today", therefore making "today" his real birthday.

We also know that the waitress verified that "today" matched the day shown on his ID. Thus, we can conclude that the ID has his real birthday.

I suppose we don't technically know if the year is the same, but that is irrelevant. We know that Walt is 52 as evidenced by how he arranged the bacon.

If Walt wasn't really 52, then the only people he would have been faking out would have been the viewers, and the writers have been very good about never cheating like that.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:34 PM   #371
Marco
Yes, Mr. Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
$100 tip on a free breakfast is going to make him memorable no matter what.
I could argue that a $100 tip would be a good way to persuade somebody NOT to remember you. But of course you'd have to actually ask for that.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:36 PM   #372
MacThor
Not Pictured

At the point he returns to ABQ he just doesn't care. "Hello, Carol."
MacThor is offline   Reply With Quote