TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-20-2013, 06:59 AM   #1
compnurd

Html5

well this begs the question... will they port the html 5 interface down to the premiere and would it do anything?
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #2
JWhites

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7...ners-but-when/
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:56 AM   #3
compnurd

It kind of answers some questions
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:19 AM   #4
JWhites

Well not the big questions of "what" and "when" unfortunately.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:29 AM   #5
Philmatic

HTML 5 is only used for the OTT apps (Netflix and YouTube now, Hulu, Spotify and others later). There is no indication that they ported any part of the core TiVo experience to HTML 5.

In any case, I would hold my breath if you expect any features to trickle back down to the Premiere line. Some stuff is obvious:
  • Outside the home streaming with a TiVo Stream
  • Dynamic Tuner Allocation on the TiVo Mini (Coming *soon* for the Premiere)
  • UI refresh to bring it in line with the Roamio (Darker color scheme, additional screen conversions)

I don't see ChromeCast/DIAL support or even HTML 5 coming down. It is too slow and won't benefit you at all.

Last edited by Philmatic : 08-20-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Philmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:36 AM   #6
jhilla

Arrow Tweet to Tivo Support (Waiting on Response)

@TiVo Are you still planning on supporting the Premiere units with updates to fix current glitches or is that the end of the road for us?

Yes I know the new units are coming down the pipe and we will be left in dust. But are they planning to help us get a stable format or drop us like leftovers? Don't get me wrong this sounds exciting but I think this is the end of the road for us.
jhilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:37 AM   #7
jhilla

Actually the Pro and ProPlus will have a built in streamer so it will not even need a secondary box to the job of 1.
jhilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:42 AM   #8
brentil

Do NOT expect the major improvements on the TiVo4 series. The CPU differences between the 2 are light years apart. The new TiVo5 hardware does GPU acceleration of Flash/AIR where the TiVo4 hardware does nearly all of it in CPU.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
brentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:36 AM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhilla View Post
@TiVo Are you still planning on supporting the Premiere units with updates to fix current glitches or is that the end of the road for us?

Yes I know the new units are coming down the pipe and we will be left in dust. But are they planning to help us get a stable format or drop us like leftovers? Don't get me wrong this sounds exciting but I think this is the end of the road for us.
I think we're going to get one more major update in the Fall with DTA and a few more HD screens and then after that maybe a couple bug fix releases and that will be it. This is how they've done it in the past and I don't really expect it to change for this generation.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:40 AM   #10
JWhites

I feel sick
Old 08-21-2013, 10:40 AM   #11
NoVa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philmatic View Post

In any case, I would hold my breath if you expect any features to trickle back down to the Premiere line. Some stuff is obvious:

Hmmm...I forgot about this jem...what is the proposal for the P4/4XL?
NoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:43 AM   #12
Philmatic

The proposal is that they enable outside the home stream for the TiVo stream. I imagine it won't be the same day as the Roamio gets it, but the chip used in the Stream was literally glued into the new Roamio so it is the same exact thing.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:00 AM   #13
Thos19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhites View Post
I feel sick
I am disappointed as well. I've had my series 4 for only since the Spring, and was really hoping a software update would address the sluggishness. But if it is a hardware issue, what can you do?
Thos19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:22 AM   #14
Philmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thos19 View Post
I am disappointed as well. I've had my series 4 for only since the Spring, and was really hoping a software update would address the sluggishness. But if it is a hardware issue, what can you do?
I wouldn't put the blame solely on the hardware, writing terrible software also doesn't help.

That was a little harsh, and I'm sure the code for the new HDUI is fine, but the decision to Adobe Air was a disaster.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:43 PM   #15
JWhites

I really wished that the new interface was coming to the Premiere if anything, to bring new life for the Premiere, but according to the FAQ of the Roamio, it's not https://www.tivo.com/shop/roamio#tab4
Old 09-23-2013, 03:17 PM   #16
MeCouchPotato

The performance of the Roamio is so dramatically improved over the Premier, to the point where it's hard to believe it's just a hardware change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philmatic View Post
HTML 5 is only used for the OTT apps (Netflix and YouTube now, Hulu, Spotify and others later). There is no indication that they ported any part of the core TiVo experience to HTML 5.

• Dynamic Tuner Allocation on the TiVo Mini (Coming *soon* for the Premiere)
  • UI refresh to bring it in line with the Roamio (Darker color scheme, additional screen conversions)

I don't see ChromeCast/DIAL support or even HTML 5 coming down. It is too slow and won't benefit you at all.

Last edited by MeCouchPotato : 09-23-2013 at 03:23 PM.
MeCouchPotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:27 PM   #17
aaronwt
HD Addict

Have they actually said there will Ui refresh for the Premiere? The only thing I've heard mentioned is that the Roamio UI will come to the Mini. But i never heard anything about it coming to the Premiere. I would think they might try and keep the newer UI on just the 2013 models and keep the prior boxes with the old UI. That way it's less confusing for people.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:51 PM   #18
moyekj

Dynamic Tuning Allocation (DTA) is supposedly on the way for the Premieres according to Margret and MSOs. I think it's likely the Premieres will get an update but without a lot of the UI changes (like the last Mini update which is same version as Roamios but without UI changes). They may get the new Netflix which is still Flash based but doubt they will get HTML5 and hence YouTube update.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:46 PM   #19
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeCouchPotato View Post
The performance of the Roamio is so dramatically improved over the Premier, to the point where it's hard to believe it's just a hardware change.
I'm sorry but that statement is bizarre to me. "Just" a hardware change?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:31 PM   #20
Dan203
Super Moderator

Yeah, try running Windows 7 on a 486 and on a new i7 and see how much of a difference a "hardware change" can make.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:12 PM   #21
mrizzo80

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Have they actually said there will Ui refresh for the Premiere? The only thing I've heard mentioned is that the Roamio UI will come to the Mini. But i never heard anything about it coming to the Premiere. I would think they might try and keep the newer UI on just the 2013 models and keep the prior boxes with the old UI. That way it's less confusing for people.
TiVo hasn't acknowledged this yet (to my knowledge) but Jason Nealis tweeted the Roamio UI is coming to RCN Series 4 boxes sometime in 2014... so fairly likely it will come to retail S4 boxes too.

https://twitter.com/jnealis/status/380175886223671296
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:24 PM   #22
Dan203
Super Moderator

The Roamio UI is the same as the Premiere UI just with a different color scheme. To me it looks like they tried to make it more generic. If it weren't for the TiVo guy in the corner there is really nothing that indicates it's a TiVo. I'm assuming that they are going to allow their partners replace that logo in the future so they can release a branded DVR for their service.