TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-21-2013, 04:31 PM   #31
actionj

I love my Roamio but I've also had 4 or 5 reboots. I was watching and recording 3 football games just now and it rebooted. I checked my network settings and sure enough a call was made right before. Questions are.
1) why in the world are these calls made during day. How can I force them to happen in middle of night?
2) the call shows as successful. Tivo wouldn't schedule an immediate reboot while I'm recording shows would they?
3) also what criteria happen for the tivo to force a reboot? Is it just for software updates or are there other reasons?
actionj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:09 PM   #32
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionj View Post
I love my Roamio but I've also had 4 or 5 reboots. I was watching and recording 3 football games just now and it rebooted. I checked my network settings and sure enough a call was made right before. Questions are.
1) why in the world are these calls made during day. How can I force them to happen in middle of night?
2) the call shows as successful. Tivo wouldn't schedule an immediate reboot while I'm recording shows would they?
3) also what criteria happen for the tivo to force a reboot? Is it just for software updates or are there other reasons?
The only TiVo re-boots will be for software updates and take place at 2am if you are not recording, any other re-boots is some bug (or power loss), if you turn on the screen time it will not survive any re-boot, one way to tell if you have had a re-boot.

Old 09-22-2013, 01:02 AM   #33
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

I am actively monitoring mine now. So far, 28 hours OK.

Code:
$ cat pingtivo
while true
 do if ! ping -qc1 roamio > /dev/null
   then echo "FAIL: "`date` >> /tmp/pingfail
   echo "FAIL: "`date`
  else
   echo -n "."
  fi
 sleep 20
done

Last edited by crxssi : 09-22-2013 at 08:10 AM.
crxssi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:10 AM   #34
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
I am actively monitoring mine now. So far, 28 hours OK.
Well, that didn't take long:

FAIL: Sun Sep 22 06:21:14 EDT 2013
FAIL: Sun Sep 22 06:21:44 EDT 2013
FAIL: Sun Sep 22 06:22:07 EDT 2013
FAIL: Sun Sep 22 06:22:30 EDT 2013
FAIL: Sun Sep 22 06:22:53 EDT 2013

And guess when the last service connection was? 6:53am
Time since OOB Tune Start: 9695 sec (161min/ 2.7hr) which also matches above.

Since the ping is every 20 seconds, there was a network downtime of between 99 and 118 seconds. Doesn't seem like enough time for a reboot, but the network might come back quickly in the bootup process. I am going to call this the first monitored reboot on my machine. And this is not the first reboot after a service call. I will keep monitoring and building up some solid, empirical data.

I think there is something very wrong with the Roamio.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:50 AM   #35
chicagobrownblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrown9 View Post
I'm having Premiere flashbacks.

chicagobrownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:45 AM   #36
aaronwt
HD Addict

It certainly should not be booting. My first Roamio Pro and my replacement have not had any unexpected reboots. I guess except for when my first one took a crap and was stuck at the start screen.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt : 09-23-2013 at 07:34 PM. Reason: spelling doH!! Stupid cellphone.
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:53 AM   #37
uw69

Dumb question, but unless to are watching when a reboot happens, how can you tell if you have had an unexpected reboot?
1 Roamio plus 470 hours
3 TiVo Mini's
uw69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:10 AM   #38
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by uw69 View Post
Dumb question, but unless to are watching when a reboot happens, how can you tell if you have had an unexpected reboot?
The clock (if on the screen) will go off, when you press the info button and look at your tuners they will be all on the same channel, and there are other ways to tell.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:50 AM   #39
uw69

Thank you
1 Roamio plus 470 hours
3 TiVo Mini's
uw69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:33 PM   #40
swerver

Mine booted 3 times yesterday afternoon while watching football, all within about an hour of each other. It was very uncool. I was transferring some shows from pc, and also recording on several tuners. My mini booted too yesterday. Both had been stable since my initial couple of reboots the day I set it up a couple weeks ago. Seems like something was going on in tivo land, for several of us to all get the boot around the same time.
swerver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:44 PM   #41
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by uw69 View Post
I look at the time since the last boot on the DVR diagnostics screen or I can look at the Stream info from a web browser and it will show me the time as well. At least it does now since I can't use the Stream function with Android. I guess once I am able to use the stream function those times won't be a reflection of when the box last booted.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:37 PM   #42
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Well, that didn't take long:

FAIL: Sun Sep 22 06:21:14 EDT 2013
FAIL: Sun Sep 22 06:21:44 EDT 2013
FAIL: Sun Sep 22 06:22:07 EDT 2013
FAIL: Sun Sep 22 06:22:30 EDT 2013
FAIL: Sun Sep 22 06:22:53 EDT 2013

And guess when the last service connection was? 6:53am
Time since OOB Tune Start: 9695 sec (161min/ 2.7hr) which also matches above. [...] I think there is something very wrong with the Roamio.
And again:
FAIL: Tue Sep 24 20:00:09 EDT 2013
FAIL: Tue Sep 24 20:00:39 EDT 2013
FAIL: Tue Sep 24 20:01:02 EDT 2013
FAIL: Tue Sep 24 20:01:25 EDT 2013
FAIL: Tue Sep 24 20:01:48 EDT 2013

Time since OOB Tune Start places it at the same time. So I will stop looking at the OOB number, it is clear when I have a 90+ second ping loss, it is due to rebooting.

And like the last time, the 8:32pm service call was today was about 30 minutes AFTER the reboot. This doesn't make sense to me, unless the time it claims for the service call is not really when the call is being made. It seems to be related to the service call... although it did NOT reboot on Monday. Hmm....
Old 09-24-2013, 09:43 PM   #43
moyekj

I enable SPSPS backdoor (quick clear play bar) after each reboot, so if there was a reboot I soon find out as soon as I start using trick play functions and the annoying play bar doesn't go away quickly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:57 PM   #44
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
And again:
And again it rebooted:

FAIL: Wed Sep 25 10:56:24 EDT 2013
FAIL: Wed Sep 25 10:56:47 EDT 2013
FAIL: Wed Sep 25 10:57:10 EDT 2013
FAIL: Wed Sep 25 10:57:33 EDT 2013
FAIL: Wed Sep 25 10:57:56 EDT 2013

Last successful service call: Today at 2:29pm. So this is the first of three documented reboots that did NOT occur near the service connection time. As you know from this thread, I have had many other reboots prior to logging all this.

I have contacted Margret with this info, she has responded, and I am feeding back more system info to them as well as updating this thread. If anyone else suspects this type of rebooting on their Roamio, please do post on this thread and let us know.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:05 PM   #45
Millionaire2K

Disconnect the internet from the box for a day and see if it still happens. Also disconnect anything else you may have attached.

Not saying this is your problem but A year ago my Elite 4XL kept rebooting. I disconnected my Ethernet cable for a few days and the problem stopped. I then fond out my network switch was causing the reboots. I bought a new switch and it never rebooted again.
Millionaire2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:21 PM   #46
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millionaire2K View Post
Disconnect the internet from the box for a day and see if it still happens. Also disconnect anything else you may have attached.

Not saying this is your problem but A year ago my Elite 4XL kept rebooting. I disconnected my Ethernet cable for a few days and the problem stopped. I then fond out my network switch was causing the reboots. I bought a new switch and it never rebooted again.
I am using a WRT54GL running Toastman Tomato which is older and rock solid. No separate switch. Same setup as my Premiere which had no rebooting issues (and neither with my other connected equipment). I suppose anything is possible, though.

At the moment, I am still in data collection mode and also in contact with TiVo, so I won't make any changes unless directed by them because I wouldn't want to complicate the controlled testing..... not yet, anyway.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:44 PM   #47
Millionaire2K

I felt the same way when they told me to remove it from the network. I hung up on them and called them idiots. A week later I was thankful for the tip.
Millionaire2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:50 PM   #48
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Margret reports (and said I can relay to this thread) that TiVo believes my reboot is a known problem caused by certain types of TV's when they are turned "off." A proposed temporary solution would be to use an HDMI switchbox or to unplug the HDMI cable after turning off the TV.

Supposedly there is a possible fix in an upcoming beta, which is not open for enrollment yet. There is no ETA but they are working on it "urgently" since this is apparently a wide-spread severe issue. Margret requests that if you are also having this rebooting issue to not only post about it in this thread, but also report what model TV you have.

Mine is a Vizio Gallevia GV52L 52" LCD 1080P TV

Old 09-25-2013, 11:38 PM   #49
dana278

I was experiencing some unexpected reboots, and I noticed over four days they were happening at 7:30 or 8pm. I spent time trying to figure out that pattern, but I couldn't figure it out.

I started paying more attention and it turns out that my TiVo doesn't appreciate having over 25 episodes of a show recorded. Since I have a Plus with plenty of room I have a few sitcoms (you know, the ones that air at least a dozen episodes every day) on Season Passes. Whenever I'd hit 25 episodes TiVo would restart, I guess when attempting to record that 26th episode. Oh and this was happening even when I had the "all episodes" option chosen. It's very odd but I was happy I figured out the problem. I deleted the episodes and removed those Season Passes and I haven't had one reboot since.

Oddly enough, I did try modifying the recording options and lowering the episodes saved to 10, but TiVo didn't seem to care and kept going way past that number, back up near 25! So yeah, I just deleted the Season Passes instead. I don't need them anyways and I really don't feel like figuring out what the deal is with that right now!
dana278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:18 AM   #50
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Margret reports (and said I can relay to this thread) that TiVo believes my reboot is a known problem caused by certain types of TV's when they are turned "off." A proposed temporary solution would be to use an HDMI switchbox or to unplug the HDMI cable after turning off the TV.

Supposedly there is a possible fix in an upcoming beta, which is not open for enrollment yet. There is no ETA but they are working on it "urgently" since this is apparently a wide-spread severe issue. Margret requests that if you are also having this rebooting issue to not only post about it in this thread, but also report what model TV you have.

Mine is a Vizio Gallevia GV52L 52" LCD 1080P TV
Interesting. Does this have anything to do with CEC commands?
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:44 AM   #51
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS View Post
Interesting. Does this have anything to do with CEC commands?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#CEC

I have no idea. My TV is fairly old and doesn't "do" CEC though.

Sounds like it could be a reasonable guess though. I said it seems odd to have anything to do with the TV being "off" (standby) because it does not happen soon after the TV is "off", nor does it happen consistently.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:51 AM   #52
bbrown9

That's not my reboot problem. The reboots I have noticed have been when I was using it - after exiting Netflix or watching a recorded TV show, but not every time.
bbrown9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:54 PM   #53
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
That's not my reboot problem. The reboots I have noticed have been when I was using it - after exiting Netflix or watching a recorded TV show, but not every time.
Having a reboot on [any] TiVo while you just told it to do something, especially when using non-native apps (like Netflix) is not very unusual. Not saying it is "expected" but far more "typical".

This thread [seems to be] more about rebooting when not using it, or when you have not touched it for a while, like when it has been recording or playing back something for several minutes or more. That is far less common (at least in previous models). I suspect this is happening a lot more than most people out there realize it.

As an update on my stuff- it hasn't rebooted since my last report, and have changed nothing yet. After the next reboot, I plan to start unplugging the HDMI as a test to try and confirm/deny it might be related to the TV. At this point I would have to see no reboot for approximately 5 days while doing that to be confident there is a link.

Update: Have the "pending restart" for the service update, so I will wait until after the reboot after this coming planned one.

Last edited by crxssi : 09-26-2013 at 10:39 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:52 PM   #54
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Update: Have the "pending restart" for the service update, so I will wait until after the reboot after this coming planned one.
It rebooted itself for the update at 08:11:03, which seems like a strange time.

Anyway, here we go again:

FAIL: Fri Sep 27 20:07:38 EDT 2013
FAIL: Fri Sep 27 20:08:08 EDT 2013
FAIL: Fri Sep 27 20:08:31 EDT 2013
FAIL: Fri Sep 27 20:08:54 EDT 2013
FAIL: Fri Sep 27 20:09:17 EDT 2013

So now that I know nothing has changed I will start disconnecting the HDMI cable when not using it and see if there is any difference....
Old 09-28-2013, 11:52 AM   #55
bbrown9

I put mine on standby when I'm not using it. Since that disables the output, I wonder if that would make a difference? Maybe that's why I don't see the reboots when I'm not using it (I can tell because the SPS9S clock in the upper right corner would disappear if it rebooted). It's easier than disconnecting the cable.
bbrown9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:46 PM   #56
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
I put mine on standby when I'm not using it. Since that disables the output, I wonder if that would make a difference? It's easier than disconnecting the cable.
That is a very good idea. Can't say if it would work or not. I suppose that could be tested later, if disconnecting the HDMI proved to be a solution. So far it has been 24 hours into my disconnection test, so far no reboot (but that isn't saying much)
Old 09-30-2013, 06:47 AM   #57
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
So far it has been 24 hours into my disconnection test, so far no reboot (but that isn't saying much)
Unfortunately I ruined the test because I fell asleep last night at the TV and when I woke, I forgot to unplug the HDMI cable. And then:

FAIL: Mon Sep 30 02:03:50 EDT 2013
FAIL: Mon Sep 30 02:04:13 EDT 2013
FAIL: Mon Sep 30 02:04:36 EDT 2013
FAIL: Mon Sep 30 02:04:59 EDT 2013
FAIL: Mon Sep 30 02:05:22 EDT 2013
FAIL: Mon Sep 30 02:05:45 EDT 2013

But it hadn't rebooted since the 27th. I was so close to proving this is working, now I have to start over

UPDATE: I still didn't bother to unplug it this morning when I wrote this... it rebooted again at 3pm ...

Last edited by crxssi : 09-30-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:02 AM   #58
actionj

My Roamio pro has now rebooted with TV off, with TV on, while lots of shows are recording, while no shows are recording, while watching live TV, and while fast forwarding through recorded shows. Basically it just reboots almost every day and for myriad reasons. I'm growing impatient.
actionj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:13 PM   #59
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:

Having a reboot on [any] TiVo while you just told it to do something, especially when using non-native apps (like Netflix) is not very unusual. Not saying it is "expected" but far more "typical".

This thread [seems to be] more about rebooting when not using it, or when you have not touched it for a while, like when it has been recording or playing back something for several minutes or more. That is far less common (at least in previous models). I suspect this is happening a lot more than most people out there realize it.

As an update on my stuff- it hasn't rebooted since my last report, and have changed nothing yet. After the next reboot, I plan to start unplugging the HDMI as a test to try and confirm/deny it might be related to the TV. At this point I would have to see no reboot for approximately 5 days while doing that to be confident there is a link.

Definitely very unusual to reboot in my use of TiVos.

Last edited by aaronwt : 10-01-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:30 PM   #60
matt.macgibbon

When i watch netflix, it reboots the tivo occasionally. i never had a premiere, but this has happened 3 times in the last 2 days. i have it hard wired.

should i return it and go back to using my series 3? (HD XL?)
matt.macgibbon is offline   Reply With Quote