TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:05 PM   #31
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbielowicz View Post
Same here, I have the D-Link 8 port and have issues, but they are specific to streaming and downloading on my iPAD. Mine was purchased from Amazon on 4/2011.

If I have the Tivo on (not in standby), it connects ok. By ok, it might download 2-3 shows before a download failure. If it is in Standby mode, I keep getting errors and it cannot connect.

My Elite had no issues at all and seemed to work better.
Well at least we found someone who uses the TiVo in standby mode

What is the error/failure you get when downloading to the iPad? I will try to reproduce since I have the same switch.
jmpage2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:55 PM   #32
tbielowicz

Part of the issue is that the errors are not consistent. The first one said that it could not connect. Then it said that my TiVo stream was overheating. The latest even when turned on gives me download failure on some videos.

I will check it out again when I return home on Thursday.
tbielowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:59 AM   #33
jfh3

I have all green switches, including 2 TRENDnet 16 port switches and Netgear ProSafe.

A Roamio Basic and Pro are on one of the 16 port switches.

ZERO networking problems so far; doesn't matter if either of the Roamios are in standby or not. I thought I had a problem with the basic at one point, but it turned out to be a bad Ethernet cable.

Sorry, don't buy "green switches are a problem".
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:23 PM   #34
tbielowicz

Just got back in town.

When I first tried to watch a show on my iPAD, it couldn't connect. I then did the troubleshooting device setup selection and it was able to connect. It would do this with the TiVo Stream as well. Maybe if I am off network for too long, I have to reconnect?

I have loaded 5 shows to transfer and 2 have transferred without an issue. My TiVo Roamio is in standby and seems to be working well. So I guess all is working well, even with a "green" switch. I just hope it stays that way.
tbielowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:16 AM   #35
PHeadland

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3 View Post
I have all green switches ... Sorry, don't buy "green switches are a problem".
And your grandfather smoked 60 a day and lived to be 100, so cigarettes don't cause lung cancer.

The fact remains that some of us have experienced network connectivity problems with Roamios connected to "green" switches and have been able to resolve those problems by using non-"green" switches. So clearly there is an issue with at least some combinations of Roamios and switches. Equally clearly, this is a TiVo defect, because it has been seen with multiple brands of switches and people who have seen these problems have had zero problems with any other devices on the same switches.

The only question in my mind is whether this issue relates in any way to gigabit switches. I have managed to borrow an older gigabit switch that is not "green"; I will be testing with that tomorrow.
PHeadland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:11 PM   #36
wmhjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHeadland View Post
And your grandfather smoked 60 a day and lived to be 100, so cigarettes don't cause lung cancer.

The fact remains that some of us have experienced network connectivity problems with Roamios connected to "green" switches and have been able to resolve those problems by using non-"green" switches. So clearly there is an issue with at least some combinations of Roamios and switches. Equally clearly, this is a TiVo defect, because it has been seen with multiple brands of switches and people who have seen these problems have had zero problems with any other devices on the same switches.

The only question in my mind is whether this issue relates in any way to gigabit switches. I have managed to borrow an older gigabit switch that is not "green"; I will be testing with that tomorrow.
You are spot on - though this is not just a Roamio issue. It is clearly a Tivo issue. And you are so correct that this is not an issue with different switch manufacturers - it is a Tivo defect which seems to somehow span the Tivo product family - including Premieres. I've been reporting issues for well over a year (actually, far longer than that, but singularly with a single unit for multiple calls spanning 18 months or so now). Tivo just kind of evaporates - support has been of zero help. They actually state that they "don't support switches".
wmhjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:26 PM   #37
Devx

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmhjr View Post
You are spot on - though this is not just a Roamio issue. It is clearly a Tivo issue. And you are so correct that this is not an issue with different switch manufacturers - it is a Tivo defect which seems to somehow span the Tivo product family - including Premieres. I've been reporting issues for well over a year (actually, far longer than that, but singularly with a single unit for multiple calls spanning 18 months or so now). Tivo just kind of evaporates - support has been of zero help. They actually state that they "don't support switches".
That's very interesting. Was it one of the later 4 tuner Premieres? My Elite/XL4 was plugged into the same switch as the Roamio, a Trendnet green TEG-S80g switch and never had a problem. It's a launch Elite, so it was connected to the same switch for almost 2 yrs at this point.
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:05 PM   #38
PHeadland

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmhjr View Post
this is not just a Roamio issue
Interesting - my old HD is working fine on the TRENDnet switch that makes the Roamio barf.

FWIW the support guy I spoke to took me seriously, and said he would pass the issue back to engineering. That said, I haven't had any further response several days later.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:32 PM   #39
wmhjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devx View Post
That's very interesting. Was it one of the later 4 tuner Premieres? My Elite/XL4 was plugged into the same switch as the Roamio, a Trendnet green TEG-S80g switch and never had a problem. It's a launch Elite, so it was connected to the same switch for almost 2 yrs at this point.
Yes, I suppose it was. I got an elite also, but it failed and was replaced after close to a year with an XL4. Then, I picked up my 2nd XL4 when I decided to go the mini route and encountered the ridiculous lack of DTA, which IMHO cripples Premieres. BTW, I've found that this issue can happen with a number of switches. A Cisco Gig 24 port switch, a Linksys gig 12 port, an old Linksys 8 port. Two of the 3 are obviously not "green" switches. Bottom line is that I've experienced network problems with XL4s, Premieres and minis on a very common basis regardless of the network. Seems as though there is very little rhyme or reason about it. Except that the common failure is always - always - the Tivo.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:34 PM   #40
wmhjr

Quote:
Interesting - my old HD is working fine on the TRENDnet switch that makes the Roamio barf.

FWIW the support guy I spoke to took me seriously, and said he would pass the issue back to engineering. That said, I haven't had any further response several days later.
Now that you mention it, I'm not sure that I experience most of these issues with my HDs. I'm not using them at the moment so it's hard to say. As far as "pass the issue back to engineering", I would not even remotely consider that as being "taken seriously". I can't even count the number of times I've been told that. I have yet to see a single instance where anything resulted from that.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:37 AM   #41
PHeadland

I tested with an old LinkSys 24-port gigabit switch yesterday. No problems at all. So in our case it's definitely a combination of the Roamio and a "green" switch. I am tempted to try and find a "green" 10/100 switch to determine whether it's related to the use of a gigabit port.

I wish Margret would chip in to let us know if TiVo is actually looking in to this issue - I am spending way too much time on this.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:37 AM   #42
stoli412

I see a lot of mentions of the TrendNet 8-port gigabit green switch, myself included. I've tested the 5-port version of the exact same make/model without issue. I wonder if there is some incompatibility between the Roamio and the chipset used in the TrendNet (and perhaps shared with other brands that are experiencing problems).

I switched to a cheapo Monoprice 8-port gigabit "green" switch and haven't had any trouble, so it's definitely not all "green" switches.
stoli412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:10 PM   #43
PHeadland

I have found that the easiest way to test for the problem is using YouTube - just set a long 1080p video running (I used one on Glacier National Park) and leave it for a while (you don't need to sit and watch). If the network connection chokes, you will find an error message on screen when you return.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:35 PM   #44
Devx

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoli412 View Post
I see a lot of mentions of the TrendNet 8-port gigabit green switch, myself included. I've tested the 5-port version of the exact same make/model without issue. I wonder if there is some incompatibility between the Roamio and the chipset used in the TrendNet (and perhaps shared with other brands that are experiencing problems).

I switched to a cheapo Monoprice 8-port gigabit "green" switch and haven't had any trouble, so it's definitely not all "green" switches.
In one of the other threads someone identified that they too were using a green switch without issue. It doesn't seem to be all green switches and even for those experiencing problems, some are affected more severely than others.
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Old 09-15-2013, 10:38 PM   #45
Devx

Quote:
I have found that the easiest way to test for the problem is using YouTube - just set a long 1080p video running (I used one on Glacier National Park) and leave it for a while (you don't need to sit and watch). If the network connection chokes, you will find an error message on screen when you return.
We may need to be careful here. How long is the video? I can stream a full hour show on a Trendnet green switch without issue sometimes, and other times, within 10-15 minutes there is a problem.
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Old 09-16-2013, 09:16 AM   #46
tonestert

Anyone know where to find a non-green gigabit 8 port switch ?
tonestert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:26 AM   #47
PHeadland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devx View Post
We may need to be careful here. How long is the video? I can stream a full hour show on a Trendnet green switch without issue sometimes, and other times, within 10-15 minutes there is a problem.
Wow - you are lucky! It takes less than 5 minutes to crap out of YouTube on my setup. I think the documentary I referenced is about 50 minutes.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:28 AM   #48
PHeadland

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonestert View Post
Anyone know where to find a non-green gigabit 8 port switch ?
This one doesn't appear to be green (I checked the manufacturer's web site and the manual): http://www.amazon.com/Tenda-G1008D-D...dp/B006KAP54A/
Old 09-16-2013, 12:42 PM   #49
russg
UID=0

There can easily be issues with 802.11.az or "Green Ethernet". The internets is full of odd things and for good reason. Lots of SOHO switch manufacturers jumped on the "Green Ethernet" trend prior to the ratification of 802.11az. The technology is suppose to be able to detect line length and with some signalling, put interfaces in sleep mode. Of course this means both ends need to be compatible and not have any bugs to make it all work.

Switches of the same model from the same manufacturer can have different firmware. If you have a "Green Switch" and are having problems you can try to A) disable the green feature if possible, B) upgrade the firmware of the switch if possible, C) replace the switch with one that is either non-green or known to work.

My Roamio Plus is plugged into an old Netgear GS108T gig-e switch which then connects to the house primary Cisco 3570 switch. The mini is connected to a new Netgear 5 port gig-e switch which is a pro-safe GS105 that has auto-power down. Neither of mine are experiencing issues.
russg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:21 PM   #50
tonestert

Quote:
This one doesn't appear to be green (I checked the manufacturer's web site and the manual): http://www.amazon.com/Tenda-G1008D-D...dp/B006KAP54A/
Thanks ! May have to buy that one.
tonestert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:15 PM   #51
TiVoMargret
VP of Design, TiVo

Just a quick note to reassure everyone we are actively looking at the "Green switch" issue. Sorry for the trouble -- and thanks for your patience!

--Margret
TiVo Inc. *
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TiVoMargret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:29 PM   #52
Beryl

I had a "network issue' today.

It successfully connected to TiVo Service but I was unable to access the HDUI features. TiVo Support suspected it was the switch and recommended going wireless since I don't have MoCA gear. That seemed to resolve the problem but I may need to set a permanent IP and/port forwarding if it didn't. Ethernet with a Netgear GS108NA ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit switch works great with other things (Roku, Apple TV, Vulkano, a camera hub, and TiVo HDXL) but apparently not the Roamio Plus.

I'm feeling a firmware update imminent to resolve these "network issues."
Old 09-17-2013, 12:25 AM   #53
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
Just a quick note to reassure everyone we are actively looking at the "Green switch" issue. Sorry for the trouble -- and thanks for your patience!

--Margret
Many thanks. It would be helpful if TiVo CSRs were not telling customers that TiVo is not supported when connected to a switch, and posting that in the forums.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:07 PM   #54
PHeadland

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
Just a quick note to reassure everyone we are actively looking at the "Green switch" issue.
That's great, thanks Margret!
Old 09-22-2013, 02:46 PM   #55
civerson4

I am also having issues with the Green switches (Roamio/Minis). No problems with anything else connected to the switch--including another media player. This is definitely a TIVO issue.

I have both Netgear GS105/108 switches (plus a managed Dlink 24 Port backbone switch). Full gigabit network that works perfectly--except with Roamio/Mini.
civerson4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:05 PM   #56
civerson4

Quote:
Originally Posted by civerson4 View Post
I am also having issues with the Green switches (Roamio/Minis). No problems with anything else connected to the switch--including another media player. This is definitely a TIVO issue.

I have both Netgear GS105/108 switches (plus a managed Dlink 24 Port backbone switch). Full gigabit network that works perfectly--except with Roamio/Mini.
Update after messing with my home network all day:

I moved switches around and bypassed switches. My home is wired with dual drop Cat6 gigabit Ethernet in all rooms, all terminating at a 24 port Managed Dlink switch. At some locations, I have inserted Netgear GS105/108 "Green" switches in order to connect additional items (AV receiver, media player, TV, HTPC, etc).

I have been able to determine (at least for me) that connecting a Netgear GS105/108 switch next to a Tivo Mini works fine. Connecting a Netgear GS105/108 switch next to the Roamio causes my problems. Prior to bypassing the "Green" Netgear switch connected to the Roamio, I was having constant connection issues. If I bypass the "Green" Netgear switch next to the Roamio (direct connection to Dlink 24 Port switch), the Minis have been able to stream live TV for the last hour without issue (prior to removing the switch, it would lose the connection in 3-10 minutes). This occurred with two different Mini devices in two different rooms (both connected via Ethernet to a gigabit home network).

Maybe this helps someone troubleshoot their issues in the future. Good luck.
civerson4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:15 PM   #57
kherr

How can a live devise such as a Tivo/Mini be seen as a dead device by a "green switch". My Mini shows net activity even though it's been sitting there for 3 days not being used. Seems the switch should become "smart" before it goes "green". The only time any of my devices show non-activity is when they're turned off.
kherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:23 PM   #58
jmpage2

802.3az

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy-Efficient_Ethernet

And similar technologies
Old 09-23-2013, 09:07 AM   #59
RustySTL

Do most of these green switches have settings that you can access to turn off the "green" technology?
RustySTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:16 AM   #60
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustySTL View Post
Do most of these green switches have settings that you can access to turn off the "green" technology?
Consumer switches do not typically have management capabilities to do things like that. Certainly the reasonably priced products do not.