TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-20-2013, 11:18 AM   #1
cheesesteak
Meh.

The Bridge "Take The Ride, Pay The Toll" 9/18/2013

I really got into this show while I watched 6 or 7 TiVo'd episodes in a row. Then I became disappointed when it was revealed that David Tate, like so many other tv villains, was practically omniscient and omnipotent and has unlimited resources. I like the Marco, Sonya and Hank scenes but I want to ffwd through the David Tate scenes. I know I can't, so I'm stuck watching them with distaste. Maybe we'll get a better, more real big bad next season if this show comes back.

Hail Hydra!

Last edited by cheesesteak : 09-20-2013 at 11:28 AM.
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:46 PM   #2
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Judging from the ad copy for the British blu-ray set of the Danish/Swedish original series, it has the same basic plot. I can't wait to find it at a reasonable price so I can see how the treatment of it differs.

I felt much the same as you. Everything about this show was great, except the villain. And I guess the tunnel stuff, which still confuses me (as in, why is this here?). Maybe they're setting up future stories? I doubt the original had a tunnel connecting Denmark and Sweden...
Old 09-20-2013, 02:06 PM   #3
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I doubt the original had a tunnel connecting Denmark and Sweden...
Kinda...

astrohip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:35 PM   #4
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that wasn't a secret tunnel dug by drug smugglers...
Old 09-20-2013, 02:56 PM   #5
Flop

Quote:
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that wasn't a secret tunnel dug by drug smugglers...
What tunnel are you talking about? There's no tunnel in that picture. You MUST be mistaken.
Flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:19 PM   #6
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

By the way, I think that's "the bridge" of the original series...
Old 09-22-2013, 04:40 PM   #7
wprager

Quote:
By the way, I think that's "the bridge" of the original series...
I can see a new show coming: "Under the Bridge"
wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:10 PM   #8
Archangel00

Just caught up to this over the last few days. Really like it so far.

Specific to this episode, am I the only one screaming
TURN THE EFFING WATER OFF!!!

Sonya's realization that the water pipes were a clue was all well and good, but seriously upon returning to the house:
1. Locate and look at the fraking water meter. (assuming the house is on city water which I've little doubt it is)
2. See that there is water flow, even when all sources of water usage in the house are not flowing.
3. SHUT OFF THE WATER SUPPLY!
Archangel00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:41 PM   #9
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

But again, she was tracking him by the sound of the water flowing through the pipes. If she had shut off the water, she would have had no way to find him...and where he was wasn't at all obvious except by the sound of the water.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:30 AM   #10
Jon J
Curmudgeon

Quote:
But again, she was tracking him by the sound of the water flowing through the pipes.
I thought she was following the exposed pipe.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:43 AM   #11
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon J View Post
I thought she was following the exposed pipe.
IIRC, she was listening to pipes, going from one to another.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:21 PM   #12
Jon J
Curmudgeon

Quote:
IIRC, she was listening to pipes, going from one to another.
IIRC she identified a lone pipe that went through a wall, over a hallway then through a wall into the garage and through another wall where she found sheetrock dust and evidence of recent construction behind the chest freezer.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:58 PM   #13
Fl_Gulfer
Tivo's R Us

I was yelling the same thing when she was standing next to the 2 faucets that had big red handles on the wall.
2 DirecTV HR20-700 HD DVR's
2 DirecTV HR24 HD DVR
Fl_Gulfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:19 PM   #14
cheesesteak
Meh.

I didn't think they'd kill off Gus. I thought it would be the standard tv drama, find him at the last second deal. Why Tate didn't just kill him and pretend like he was still alive is another question.

Hail Hydra!
Old 09-24-2013, 02:57 PM   #15
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
I didn't think they'd kill off Gus. I thought it would be the standard tv drama, find him at the last second deal. Why Tate didn't just kill him and pretend like he was still alive is another question.
Probably so that Marco would know that he could have saved him, but failed.

Which is really more of a TV/movie bad guy thing than a distraught father seeking vengeance thing, but that's just the kind of villain he is.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:34 PM   #16
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Probably so that Marco would know that he could have saved him, but failed.

Which is really more of a TV/movie bad guy thing than a distraught father seeking vengeance thing, but that's just the kind of villain he is.
The tv villain thing was that he kept checking his watch to see if Gus had drowned yet like he had run multiple test scenarios with how fast the container would fill with certain flow rates, allowing for Gus's body volume. "It's 5:47 so Gus is dead....... Now!"

Hail Hydra!
Old 09-24-2013, 04:32 PM   #17
astrohip
Stuart F

'The Bridge' Renewed by FX for 13-Episode Second Season

'The Bridge' Renewed by FX for 13-Episode Second Season

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...-second-season

Quote:
FX SET TO CROSS “THE BRIDGE” FOR A SECOND TIME

Network Places 13-Episode Second Season Order for Critically Acclaimed Drama Series
From Executive Producers Meredith Stiehm and Elwood Reid

Series Stars Oscar Nominee Demian Bichir and Diane Kruger

Season 2 Will Debut in Summer 2014

LOS ANGELES – September 24, 2013 – FX has ordered a second season of its critically acclaimed new drama series The Bridge, placing a 13-episode order for season 2, it was announced today by Eric Schrier, President of Original Programming for FX Networks and FX Productions.

Starring Academy Award nominee Demian Bichir and Diane Kruger, The Bridge is a present-day crime thriller exploring the tensions on the US-Mexico border. When an American judge known for her anti-immigration views is found dead on the bridge connecting El Paso and Juarez, Sonya Cross (Kruger) from El Paso PD must work with her Mexican counterpart from Chihuahua State Police, Marco Ruiz (Bichir), to catch a serial killer operating on both sides of the border. Marco understands the slippery politics of Mexican law enforcement, and while his police force slowly succumbs to the pressures and demands of the cartel, he’s one of the last good men in the department. He’s charming, but also cunning as he will do whatever it takes to get what he needs. This does not sit well with Sonya, who has Asperger’s and strictly follows rules as well as protocol. Her candid and off-putting personality fuels an unforgiving drive for truth. The case quickly pulls them into a string of murders on the border, a scene already consumed by illegal immigration, drug trafficking, violence and prostitution.

“We’ve been blown away by the compelling performances of Demian Bichir and Diane Kruger and the writing of Meredith Stiehm, Elwood Reid and their team, and are thrilled to be able to continue this journey for another season,” said Schrier. “We look forward to continuing our partnership with Rich Ross, Carolyn Bernstein and everyone at Shine America.”

Said Rich Ross, CEO, Shine America, "We’re thrilled that viewers and critics alike have embraced Sonya Cross and Marco Ruiz and that our partners at FX are enthusiastically joining us for a continuation of the wild ride in season 2."

astrohip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:51 AM   #18
Jon J
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
The tv villain thing was that he kept checking his watch to see if Gus had drowned yet like he had run multiple test scenarios with how fast the container would fill with certain flow rates, allowing for Gus's body volume. "It's 5:47 so Gus is dead....... Now!"
Makes you wonder, me at least, if the tank had filled and drowned Gus wouldn't the flow have stopped ending the sound?
Old 09-25-2013, 10:05 AM   #19
andyw715

Maybe I wasn't watching closely, but couldn't Gus just stick his finger in the pipe and at least slow down the water from filling up the tank.
andyw715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:11 AM   #20
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyw715 View Post
Maybe I wasn't watching closely, but couldn't Gus just stick his finger in the pipe and at least slow down the water from filling up the tank.
He was bound and gagged.

Bachelorhood: Life, liberty, and the happiness of pursuit.

Xbox Live: ClutchBrake
ClutchBrake is offline   Reply With Quote