TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-15-2013, 04:25 AM   #31
drugrep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC25D View Post
You might be confusing the fact the Roamio Basic supports Over The Air (OTA), while the Plus and Pro do not. All Roamios have a coax connector on the back.
It's no big deal to me, but why in the world did they take away that feature on Plus and Pro?
Series 1 (Retired)
drugrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:50 PM   #32
shfawaz

Well good news. I finally jettisoned my Tivo Roamio, installed the Roamio Plus, sans the cable card, and all is working great. Guide is accurate and season passes all record perfectly. Now it's time to replace the HDD to 3Tb. All six tuners are all working. I'm a happy camper.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:25 AM   #33
shfawaz

3Tb WD installed and all six tuners recording six HD channels simultaneously. Couldn't be happier. Gonna wait a few weeks then order the lifetime on this box. Anyone know of any deals on the lifetime lower than the $399 MSD price?
Old 12-02-2013, 04:58 PM   #34
gols15

Question

Hello, shfawaz,

I hope all is well. I noticed you were able to get your Roamio Plus to work with basic digital cable. Do you have a cable box or just the regular coax cable into the back of the Tivo Roamio box? Are you able to record on all tuners? I am in Canada and none of our cable providers use cable cards. I would love to get a Roamio Plus to work with my cable provider.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shfawaz View Post
Well good news. I finally jettisoned my Tivo Roamio, installed the Roamio Plus, sans the cable card, and all is working great. Guide is accurate and season passes all record perfectly. Now it's time to replace the HDD to 3Tb. All six tuners are all working. I'm a happy camper.

gols15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:15 PM   #35
shfawaz

Yes, I was able to record on all four tuners without a cable box. The cable was plugged directly into the Roamio. I had to manually scan the channels because it would not tune digital channels without a cablecard, but once the did a channel scan, all the channels I subscribe to are there. I have digital basic, no premium channels, and the only HD channels I get are the locals with their respective national networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, and Fox).
Old 12-02-2013, 05:19 PM   #36
gols15

Hello,

Thanks for your response. So once you performed a manual scan the channels worked properly? Did the season pass feature work properly? My concern was when I scan channels here in Canada the channel names and data would not be accurate.

Quote:
Yes, I was able to record on all four tuners without a cable box. The cable was plugged directly into the Roamio. I had to manually scan the channels because it would not tune digital channels without a cablecard, but once the did a channel scan, all the channels I subscribe to are there. I have digital basic, no premium channels, and the only HD channels I get are the locals with their respective national networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, and Fox).

gols15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #37
shfawaz

Yes, I did after I went through the initial setup, changing channels would only bring a message that said a cablecard was needed to tune a a particular channel. It actually was on all 100 channels. Once I did a channel scan and added them to the mix, they all worked. Season passes record flawlessly on all six tuners. Channel banners match the programs. Keep in mind not all cable companies have a system where you can bypass having a box. My brother had tried this on his cable system in TN (I think it was comcast) with his premiere and he couldn't get it to work without a cable card. I have 4 Tivo HD's, and a Premiere, and the same trick works on all. It's an extra pain to setup, but once it's setup, it works perfectly. Occasionally my cable company (WOWWay) will realign the channels and I have to rescan because I lose a channel or two, but it's not big deal.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:38 PM   #38
HarperVision

I think from what I've read that you can also buy a Cablecard on eBay that's compatible with your system and then it should work for basic in the clear qam channels without having to rescan.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #39
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
I think from what I've read that you can also buy a Cablecard on eBay that's compatible with your system and then it should work for basic in the clear qam channels without having to rescan.
That would only work if that card is activated on your cable headend. 99% of cable companies will not work with a cablecard that is not in their system. Their are a few small companies that will let customers bring their own card but no major cable company.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:17 AM   #40
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post

That would only work if that card is activated on your cable headend. 99% of cable companies will not work with a cablecard that is not in their system. Their are a few small companies that will let customers bring their own card but no major cable company.
Not true for just basic channels that are broadcast in clear QAM on their cable system. All you have to do is make sure you're using the same one that they use for your area (Motorola, Cisco/SA, etc.). There are numerous reports of this working. You just can't have any premium and pay type channels authorized with it because as you say, it would née to be provisioned on their system, which most won't do. That is what you're referring to, not what I suggested. This gives the proper channel mapping for the guide, etc.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:26 AM   #41
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Not true for just basic channels that are broadcast in clear QAM on their cable system.
Like I said, unless it is activated it will not give you even the basic channels for most systems. I know for sure this will not work for Charter in all-digital areas as they encrypt all channels now. Pairing will not be possible like I said which would give you premiums. But the chances of it working for basic cable are pretty slim unless it was previously activated on the same cable system.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:05 PM   #42
HarperVision

Quote:

That would only work if that card is activated on your cable headend....
No, you said the above and used the word "only", which makes your statement not true.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:15 PM   #43
Jruckel

Quote:
Yes, I did after I went through the initial setup, changing channels would only bring a message that said a cablecard was needed to tune a a particular channel. It actually was on all 100 channels. Once I did a channel scan and added them to the mix, they all worked. Season passes record flawlessly on all six tuners. Channel banners match the programs. Keep in mind not all cable companies have a system where you can bypass having a box. My brother had tried this on his cable system in TN (I think it was comcast) with his premiere and he couldn't get it to work without a cable card. I have 4 Tivo HD's, and a Premiere, and the same trick works on all. It's an extra pain to setup, but once it's setup, it works perfectly. Occasionally my cable company (WOWWay) will realign the channels and I have to rescan because I lose a channel or two, but it's not big deal.
I actually have wow way myself. Could you tell me the steps you used...... I'd love to use the guide. 😊 thank you.
Jruckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:50 PM   #44
shfawaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jruckel View Post
I actually have wow way myself. Could you tell me the steps you used...... I'd love to use the guide. 😊 thank you.
Actually, you setup your Tivo as if you are going to have cable cards. Tivo gives you the option to choose "I'll add cable cards later" in one of the steps. Once you go through the entire setup, channels will display a message telling you a cablecard is required to tune this channel. Simply go to the settings, channels, delete scanned channels, then rescan all channels, add them once the process is complete, and if all goes well (and most importantly) your WowWay system is like ours in Canton, MI (this worked in Dearborn, MI with WowWay there as well), your digital basic channels 1-199 and local HD channels should now come in as if you had a cable card installed. You may want to first try to rescan channels if you've already gone through the setup, but unless you chose "I will install cable cards later" you're gonna have to go through the dreaded guided setup.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:00 PM   #45
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Although initially it complains that a cable card is necessary to tune in most of the channels, a channel scan pretty much fixes that.
I think that's your problem right there with doing this on a Plus or Pro. Because the basic Roamio is designed to work with OTA digital channels, it will allow you to do a channel scan and it is apparently finding other digital channels your cable company is sending through in the clear during this scan. However, since the Plus and Pro are only designed to work with a CableCard, I don't think there is any way for them to run a channel scan to find unencrypted channels.
tarheelblue32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:06 PM   #46
shfawaz

Actually I am using a Roamio Plus and it works perfectly. I had the Roamio basic and it worked on that too, and currently works on a Tivo Premier and the First Gen High Def Tivos. Works like a charm on all of them, sans any cable cards.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:29 PM   #47
Jruckel

Fantastic! What I didn't do was delete scanned channels.... Do it now & rescanning! Here's hoping we are in mid michigan. Fingers officially crossed.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:46 PM   #48
Jruckel

Nope doesn't work in mid-Michigan. bummer but thanks for the directions.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:58 PM   #49
twhiting9275
TV Buff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy2 View Post
I was always under the impression that you needed a cable card for digital channels from a cable company to get the proper lineup for scheduling recordings. Is that not still the case?
Only if you're looking at HD channels, or your cable company has gone 'all digital'.
twhiting9275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:22 PM   #50
Nola111

Hi Shfawaz - I hope you're still hanging around here. I bought a Roamio Basic - I have basic cable through Cox with no cable boxes - I can plug the cable directly from the wall into the TV coax connector and my basic channels all tune in with no issue. But I've connected the coax cable to the Roamio with no cable card installed, and I'm stuck with the message about needing a Cablecard installed, on all channels. Per your posts, I've done the manual channel scan (twice now) and still no luck.

Interestingly, the scan says it finds 400+ channels? Not sure how. Any ideas on what/if I'm doing something wrong here? Is is possible that my tv can tune my QAM cable channels without any kind of box but that the Tivo still would need a Cablecard?

I don't know the technicals behind the protocol/standard that Cox broadcasts it QAM channels, so I'm hoping anyone here with some insight could help.

Thanks!
Nola111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:54 AM   #51
Nola111

As a follow-up to my above post, does anyone know how I can tell whether the signal coming out of my wall is analog or digital? If it's analog, then that's obviously my problem. I tried calling Cox to ask them but the person I spoke to was completely clueless.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:29 AM   #52
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nola111 View Post
As a follow-up to my above post, does anyone know how I can tell whether the signal coming out of my wall is analog or digital? If it's analog, then that's obviously my problem. I tried calling Cox to ask them but the person I spoke to was completely clueless.
Plug the coax into your tv and do a channel scan. The digital stations will be in the form of 4.1 (or 4-1) and the analog stations will in the form of just 4, 5, etc.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:20 AM   #53
Nola111

Quote:
Plug the coax into your tv and do a channel scan. The digital stations will be in the form of 4.1 (or 4-1) and the analog stations will in the form of just 4, 5, etc.
Thanks Rainwater, I'll give that a shot.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:24 PM   #54
Nola111

Ok, so I definitely have analog basic cable. So the Roamio won't work for me.

Next question: is analog cable still considered "ClearQAM" or does it HAVE to be digital for it to be ClearQAM? If so, what is the protocol called for analog basic cable? I just want to make sure I know exactly what I'm looking for when exploring my hardware options (which may or may not include a different model TiVo).

Thanks.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:39 PM   #55
Nola111

I think I found my answer to my above question - NTSC. Someone please check me if I'm wrong there. Thanks.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:41 PM   #56
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nola111 View Post
Ok, so I definitely have analog basic cable. So the Roamio won't work for me.
Are you sure? Just because you get analog channels doesn't mean your cable company doesn't provide them in digital as well. Before my cable company went all digital, it simulcast all channels in digital so there were no missing channels on my Roamio.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:46 PM   #57
Nola111

Quote:
Are you sure? Just because you get analog channels doesn't mean your cable company doesn't provide them in digital as well. Before my cable company went all digital, it simulcast all channels in digital so there were no missing channels on my Roamio.
When I do a cable channel scan on my tv (a 2013 Samsung) with the line connected directly to the coax jack on the tv, it brings back about 75 channels with normal numbers (4, 5, 10, etc) and no more than 10 channels with .1 channel numbers. I assumed that meant that they're only simulcasting those 10 channels in digital. Is that right?
Old 02-05-2014, 12:51 PM   #58
Nola111

This might also shed a little light:

http://ww2.cox.com/wcm/en/residentia...90105_NOLA.pdf

I have the channels under "Basic" and "Expanded" show up when connected directly to the tv. When reading the footnotes on the bottom right of the lineup page, it looks like the only ClearQAM channels are the ones with the asterisk next to them (only 9 of them). Cox bastards.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:53 PM   #59
Nola111

Sorry for so many questions, but I appreciate your help very much, Rainwater. What is the last TiVo model to support NTSC?
Old 02-05-2014, 12:54 PM   #60
Nola111

Ha, looks like I just answered my own question again - the Premiere.