TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-14-2013, 07:50 AM   #1
markp99
TakoKichi

Roamio - Adding External Storage

I am contemplating expanding the storage on my Roamio Plus.

An external eSATA drive seems least painful from an install/moving recordings an internal replacement would require. Is the Roamio limited to the My Book AV DVR Expander from Western Digital?

I no longer have a functional PC with eSATA drive ports, so I might be a bit limited on a winmfs-based approach.

What are my options? Should I just bite the bullet and switch out the internal drive??

Last edited by markp99 : 09-14-2013 at 07:57 AM.
markp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:21 AM   #2
aaronwt
HD Addict

Yes, switch out the internal drive.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:52 AM   #3
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Yes, now that TiVo made it easy to upgrade the internal hard drive, it's a no brainer.

Forget about the external and the extra point of failure it adds.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:18 AM   #4
markp99
TakoKichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Forget about the external and the extra point of failure it adds.

Sold on this point alone!
Old 09-14-2013, 12:31 PM   #5
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post

Yes, now that TiVo made it easy to upgrade the internal hard drive, it's a no brainer.
I haven't followed any of the Roamio drive upgrade threads. How is it easier now? Do you no longer need WinMFS or InstantCake?
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:38 PM   #6
bobfrank

All reports are that you just install a new hard drive, up to 3 tb, and the Tivo installs the software without any additional software needed on your part.
bobfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:38 PM   #7
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
I haven't followed any of the Roamio drive upgrade threads. How is it easier now? Do you no longer need WinMFS or InstantCake?
correct no tools needed, take the old drive out, place the blank drive in, Tivo formats it as needed.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:53 PM   #8
mdscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
correct no tools needed, take the old drive out, place the blank drive in, Tivo formats it as needed.
Up to 3TB

michael
Old 09-14-2013, 02:36 PM   #9
TC25D

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
I haven't followed any of the Roamio drive upgrade threads.
There's only 1 thread and all the answers are within the first few pages. Let us know if you'd like someone to stop over and install a drive for you.
TC25D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:56 PM   #10
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfrank View Post

All reports are that you just install a new hard drive, up to 3 tb, and the Tivo installs the software without any additional software needed on your part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post

Correct no tools needed, take the old drive out, place the blank drive in, Tivo formats it as needed.
Wow, that's pretty cool! I wish I had known this before buying my Pro. I could have bought a Plus instead and just upgraded it myself. I assume I would have saved some money. How much are 3TB drives going for these days? Do you have to use a specific type, or will any old 3TB drive do?
(3) Minis

Old 09-14-2013, 04:19 PM   #11
markp99
TakoKichi

Westrn Digital AV-GP 3TB $146.67

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004W9BKE0
Old 09-14-2013, 09:23 PM   #12
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp99 View Post
Westrn Digital AV-GP 3TB $146.67

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004W9BKE0
It's actually $10 less now at $136.54.
Are there any other difference between the Plus and the Pro other than the size of the drive?
(3) Minis

Old 09-14-2013, 11:57 PM   #13
yokito

Is it true that as soon as TiVo gets external storage it is being used right away to store stuff - even if the internal hard drive is not full yet?
Old 09-15-2013, 01:12 AM   #14
fdisker2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokito View Post
Is it true that as soon as TiVo gets external storage it is being used right away to store stuff - even if the internal hard drive is not full yet?
As soon as an external HDD is used it is "married" to the internal drive and recordings can and will span the two drives. If the external HDD is removed any recordings since its use will, most likely, no longer work. Recordings from before the externals use should still work.
fdisker2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:38 AM   #15
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdisker2000 View Post
As soon as an external HDD is used it is "married" to the internal drive and recordings can and will span the two drives. If the external HDD is removed any recordings since its use will, most likely, no longer work. Recordings from before the externals use should still work.
Yes. This is done for speed, but also more importantly, cablecard regulations. CableLabs is very particular that a cablecard device does not put an entire copy of a recording on a device outside of the cablecard device (the TiVo itself).
Old 09-15-2013, 08:17 AM   #16
yokito

So, if the external hard drive fails will I lose all recordings since installation of that drive or only some?
Old 09-15-2013, 08:22 AM   #17
TC25D

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokito View Post
So, if the external hard drive fails will I lose all recordings since installation of that drive or only some?
This.

The TiVo starts using the external drive as soon as it is connected.
TC25D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:14 AM   #18
zubinh

I just need a little extra capacity not much. I saw a 500GB USB hard drive (Seagate STBX 500100) for about $60 on Amazon. It is powered by USB only no separate adapter needed. Is there anything like this with ESATA that can be powered by the Roamio without a separate power supply?
Old 09-20-2013, 11:24 AM   #19
bradleys
It'll be fine....

I installed an external drive on my S3 just after the functionality was introduced and the handshake failed within just a few months. The drive was fine, but something went wrong and the Tivo would not work.

I removed the external drive, rebooted and everthing was back to normal. But, yes - I lost ALL of my recordings.

I would never use an external drive again, it just creates an unessessary level of complexity if you have a problem with either drive - you will loose everything!
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:33 PM   #20
Goober96

Now that they come with such large drives and upgrading the drive is so simple, I agree that adding an external drive is just more potential trouble than it's worth.
Goober96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:45 PM   #21
Chesterton

What about the warranty? Isn't that a reason to go with an external drive? Sorry, I'm not trying to drive my own point, as I'm just a newbie to TiVo. I just don't know the answer. Is the answer "keep the old disk around and put it back in if something goes wrong and hope TiVo doesn't notice when it's sent in"?
Chesterton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:01 PM   #22
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesterton View Post
What about the warranty? Isn't that a reason to go with an external drive? Sorry, I'm not trying to drive my own point, as I'm just a newbie to TiVo. I just don't know the answer. Is the answer "keep the old disk around and put it back in if something goes wrong and hope TiVo doesn't notice when it's sent in"?
Tivo has always been a "don't ask, don't tell" approach to replaced drives, they know you upgraded your drive, but if the OEM drive is back in it for troubleshooting and the issues is not drive related, they will usually let it slide. It's not written in stone, but over the years it's been pretty consistent.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:07 PM   #23
Adam333

How big is the hard drive on the middle of the road roamio?

Thanks
Adam
Adam333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:42 PM   #24
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam333 View Post

Thanks
Adam
The Roamio Plus comes with a 1TB drive.

The Roamio Pro comes with a 3TB drive.

The Roamio Basic comes with a 500GB drive.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:45 PM   #25
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam333 View Post

Thanks
Adam
The plus has a 1 Terabyte drive installed, it can be replaced with a 3tb drive.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:33 PM   #26
HDRyder9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
The plus has a 1 Terabyte drive installed, it can be replaced with a 3tb drive.
Yes, it can.
HDRyder9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:48 AM   #27
aaronwt
HD Addict

It can also be replaced with a 1.5 TB, 2 TB, or 2.5 TB drive too. Isn't that the case?
Old 06-19-2014, 05:35 PM   #28
mkelley

Sorry to revisit on old thread, but I just bought a Roamio Basic (the lowest model) after not having a new TiVo since my Series 3.

It so happens I have lots of 3TB drives laying around (don't ask -- I'm a former IT professional who just has lots of computer gear) and am wondering if the internal drive replacement is true for the Basic (which I don't see anyone talking about here except in terms of drive space).

Frankly I'm not sure I'll ever need or want more than 75 hours of HD recording (because with my older TiVos I found if I had too much stuff it just never got watched and eventually deleted) but OTOH the idea of putting a much larger drive inside appeals to me. In any case, is this a possibility with the TiVo I bought? (And are there instructions to point me to somewhere on the web, although I suspect I could figure it out once I got the box opened up, as I replace drives in computers all the time).
Old 06-19-2014, 06:04 PM   #29
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkelley View Post
Sorry to revisit on old thread, but I just bought a Roamio Basic (the lowest model) after not having a new TiVo since my Series 3.

It so happens I have lots of 3TB drives laying around (don't ask -- I'm a former IT professional who just has lots of computer gear) and am wondering if the internal drive replacement is true for the Basic (which I don't see anyone talking about here except in terms of drive space).

Frankly I'm not sure I'll ever need or want more than 75 hours of HD recording (because with my older TiVos I found if I had too much stuff it just never got watched and eventually deleted) but OTOH the idea of putting a much larger drive inside appeals to me. In any case, is this a possibility with the TiVo I bought? (And are there instructions to point me to somewhere on the web, although I suspect I could figure it out once I got the box opened up, as I replace drives in computers all the time).
It will work for the basic just the same manner as the Plus & Pro, the cover isn't as easy to remove as the standard box as there is one screw to remove (in the back center) and the cover slips off with three tabs that need to be eased out carefully to prevent their damage, it's a little nerving at first as you don't want to damage the plastic cover. There is drive upgrade thread in the Roamio section that has pictures and better instructions.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=507695

Just about any 3tb drive should work but the preferred option is use the green AV drives as the standard desktop drives can produce more heat than the type of drives intended including those who hold the position that the AV drives are just better for the Roamio overall. Of course removing the cover voids the warranty and it's advised to keep the stock drive for warranty purposes.

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:36 PM   #30
jmbach

A do it yourself Roamio 4TB install is now possible. Not as simple as dropping a drive in and go for 3TB and less size drive as it requires using a computer to prep the 4TB drive. Look at it here at 4TB Roamio Image community edition