TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-21-2013, 12:50 AM   #1
tvmaster2

signal strength meter

my TiVo Premiere is showing "no digital channels available" when I pull up the signal strength meter.

using Cox with a tuning adapter

anyone else have this problem
tvmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 01:49 AM   #2
moyekj

For some idiotic reason I seem to recall you have navigate to the Tuning Adapter menus to check signal strength, not the cablecard menus.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:46 AM   #3
tvmaster2

thanks, I'll check that. I didn't know there was a second place to check.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:29 PM   #4
moyekj

Oh, I misread and thought you were actually looking for "Test Channels". I think you were referring to Settings-Channels-Signal Strength which does not work (maybe when TAs are attached or only valid for OTA tuning)?

However, to see signal strength numbers tune 1 or more channels of interest and then visit Account & System Info-DVR Diagnostics where you will see info for each tuner including Signal Strength.

Old 09-21-2013, 03:08 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

There is some weird bug here. I had this same thing happen on my Premiere. To get it to work I had to remove the CableCARD and tuning adapter, then do a channel scan, then reinstall then CC and TA. After that it started letting me into the signal strength meter.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:54 PM   #6
tvmaster2

if I go to settings/cable card/tuning adapter/DVR, then the main TiVo diagnostic screen shows both the SN and signal strength for both tuners, and from that I was able to discover that the rather long drop in one room was 20% weaker then it should be, hence, pixelation and blank channels.

I'm suspicious that the tuning adapter strips a fair amount of signal, enough to render the room unwatchable.

Cox will say it's my wiring.

I'll say the wiring was fine before the advent of Cox's TA and signal loss.

Do I have a chance with that argument?
Old 09-22-2013, 12:52 AM   #7
XIBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
I'm suspicious that the tuning adapter strips a fair amount of signal, enough to render the room unwatchable.

Cox will say it's my wiring.

I'll say the wiring was fine before the advent of Cox's TA and signal loss.
You could put a splitter before the TA and feed it and the Tivo rather than letting the signal go through the TA to the Tivo. I think doing this made my signal a bit stronger in my Tivo.
XIBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:56 AM   #8
tvmaster2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XIBM View Post
You could put a splitter before the TA and feed it and the Tivo rather than letting the signal go through the TA to the Tivo. I think doing this made my signal a bit stronger in my Tivo.
thanks, I thought about that, but I've never been able to find a splitter without a 3.5db(?) drop
Old 09-22-2013, 02:28 AM   #9
moyekj

50% signal loss = -3dB so you won't get better than that for a 2-way split. i.e. -3.5dB loss per split is normal/expected.

Old 09-22-2013, 12:28 PM   #10
tvmaster2

I should take a photo of the Cox drop box on my house - if you're looking for signal loss, the six splitters that are in there takes care of that no problem...lol.
Hopefully I can talk them into putting in a more elaborate combination signal booster/distribution amp of some kind, as switched digital seems to react very badly to signal loss (unlike good old fashioned cable tv did)
Old 09-22-2013, 12:29 PM   #11
tvmaster2

I should take a photo of the Cox drop box on my house - if you're looking for signal loss, the six splitters that are in there takes care of that no problem...lol.
Hopefully I can talk them into putting in a more elaborate combination signal booster/distribution amp of some kind, as switched digital seems to react very badly to signal loss (unlike good old fashioned cable tv did)

for that matter, if anyone is using a coax RF distribution amp with multiple outputs that is compatible with switched digital, please post the brand and model if you have it handy. That's likely the way this should end up going at some point. for example, anything from this list that would make Tivo's happy?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...on%20amplifier

Last edited by tvmaster2 : 09-22-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:41 PM   #12
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post

for that matter, if anyone is using a coax RF distribution amp with multiple outputs that is compatible with switched digital, please post the brand and model if you have it handy. That's likely the way this should end up going at some point. for example, anything from this list that would make Tivo's happy?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...on%20amplifier
Yes something like that would be OK. I have an Electroline 8 way amplified splitter that I use at the drop that I bought about a decade ago. It has a return path so my cable modem coax also comes from the splitter. I also use 75 ohm terminators for the 3 outputs of the splitter not in use. Cox technicians that have visited a couple of times initially hate what I did there until they measure the signals coming out of the amp and admit everything looks good.

Last edited by moyekj : 09-22-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:50 PM   #13
tvmaster2

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Yes something like that would be OK. I have an Electroline 8 way amplified splitter that I use at the drop that I bought about a decade ago. It has a return path so my cable modem coax also comes from the splitter. I also use 75 ohm terminators for the 3 outputs of the splitter not in use. Cox technicians that have visited a couple of times initially hate what I did there until they measure the signals coming out of the amp and admit everything looks good.
ah, mission Viejo...just up the road question: what is the purpose of the "return path" you mentioned. Also, the terminators do what exactly.
thanks
Old 09-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #14
moyekj

Your cable modem obviously needs upstream communication to work, so you need a return path through an amplifier. Some amplifiers only work in downstream direction which means you can't communicate back to headend. Cable modem and Tuning Adapters need to be able to communicate back so an amp/splitter with return path is essential.

The terminators just ensure that you don't introduce reflections and ghosting into the other splits. It's not essential but a nice/cheap finishing touch.

Old 09-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #15
tvmaster2

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Your cable modem obviously needs upstream communication to work, so you need a return path through an amplifier. Some amplifiers only work in downstream direction which means you can't communicate back to headend. Cable modem and Tuning Adapters need to be able to communicate back so an amp/splitter with return path is essential.

The terminators just ensure that you don't introduce reflections and ghosting into the other splits. It's not essential but a nice/cheap finishing touch.
thanks - all good info.