TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-21-2013, 11:25 AM   #1
badhat

Swap HDs for Premieres?

I have 3 Series 3 HDs (all with lifetime), 2 of which are eligible to be "swapped" for refurbed Premieres for $49 each. This cost includes the transfer of the lifetime service, as well as exchange shipping -- so, $49 all in for each unit.

My question is: should I consider this offer? While being older models, the HDs are functioning well, and something makes me think their build quality might be better than that of the Premieres? I'm aware of the larger storage capacity of the Premieres, but for the most part this is not an issue based upon their usage.

All units have Comcast cablecards installed; I'm not interested in using their On-Demand feature.

I'd appreciate the sage advice of anyone who'd care to contribute an opinion!
badhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:35 AM   #2
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

For me, the deciding factor would be the ability to stream shows from one Premiere to another, without actual copying. Depending on what you do, that may or may not be important to you.

(Actually, I would get Roamios and Minis for me - the Roamio is much better than the Premiere. But you've got a nice deal available for you for very little money.)
Old 09-21-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
jrtroo
User

um, where did you get this offer? I'm intrugued as I would love to do this and then use the new premiere in place of a Mini and replace my other box with a roamio.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:27 PM   #4
badhat

Talk to TiVo tech support and ask about possibilities. Your mileage may vary...
Old 09-21-2013, 03:33 PM   #5
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

The TiVo HD power supplies going bad (bulging capacitors) is a big issue and it's getting worse as the hardware gets older. Based on that alone I'd go for the Premiere deal.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:04 PM   #6
WO312

I have both. I guess I do like the Premiere better but that may be because it has 4 tuners. I don't like the speed (slowness) of the HD interface, so I use the SD interface so the experience on both machines is about the same.

Will you ever use OTA ?? Do the Premieres they are offering have that?? That could be a consideration.
WO312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:29 PM   #7
badhat

Quote:
Originally Posted by WO312 View Post
I have both. I guess I do like the Premiere better but that may be because it has 4 tuners. I don't like the speed (slowness) of the HD interface, so I use the SD interface so the experience on both machines is about the same.

Will you ever use OTA ?? Do the Premieres they are offering have that?? That could be a consideration.
The Premiere being offered is the dual-tuner (yours must be the Premier 4), so its the same as the HD in that respect.

I have no plans to use OTA, so not an issue.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:18 PM   #8
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhat View Post
I have 3 Series 3 HDs (all with lifetime), 2 of which are eligible to be "swapped" for refurbed Premieres for $49 each. This cost includes the transfer of the lifetime service, as well as exchange shipping -- so, $49 all in for each unit.

My question is: should I consider this offer? While being older models, the HDs are functioning well, and something makes me think their build quality might be better than that of the Premieres? I'm aware of the larger storage capacity of the Premieres, but for the most part this is not an issue based upon their usage.

All units have Comcast cablecards installed; I'm not interested in using their On-Demand feature.

If you know which end of a soldering iron by which to not pick it up the power supply problem isn't a real biggie.

The HD and the original 320GB and 500GB Premiere models are all capable of and limited to upgrading to a 2TB drive.

Find out exactly what the Premiere offers that the HDs don't and see if it's something you think makes the deal worth it.

(Some of what I've read from early Premiere adopters would have had me wanting to trade them in on HDs)

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:25 PM   #9
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhat View Post

How did this offer happen to come about, anyway?

You should counter with an offer to do the changeover of the sub to the Premieres but on condition that they give you the $99 lifetime deal on the now unsubbed HDs so that you can sell them on for a couple of hundred bucks or so each.

I don't see any benefit to TiVo to actually physically getting their hands on your HDs as they're no doubt going to hand them off to the nearest recycler rather than try to sell them as used.

Actually shipping a Premiere to you and paying to ship your HD back to them is going to eat up most of that $49, so I'm wondering just what it is that they're really up to here.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:49 AM   #10
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

My guess is that he's on Cox or Verizon and can't pick up the few channels that are h.264, so they offered to swap HDs for Premieres.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:48 PM   #11
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
My guess is that he's on Cox or Verizon and can't pick up the few channels that are h.264, so they offered to swap HDs for Premieres.
Does that mean people with lifetimed dual tuner S2s will be able to swap for S3s or S4s when their cable company goes all digital?

Seems like the same principle "I paid for lifetime and my cable company broke things".

Old 09-24-2013, 12:54 PM   #12
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Tivo has been doing this (apparently) because the HD says it supports digital cable, but apparently not for h.264 channels that were added. I think it's a valid reason to offer a swap since it does play h.264 net streaming content, just not via QAM. I don't understand why they didn't update the software to support it though.

See the Cox cable thread in the S3 forum for details.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:31 PM   #13
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Does that mean people with lifetimed dual tuner S2s will be able to swap for S3s or S4s when their cable company goes all digital?

Seems like the same principle "I paid for lifetime and my cable company broke things".
I didn't even think to call Tivo when Comcast went digital but now I wonder if I missed out on a deal???
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:46 AM   #14
hanlan

so if i have an older HD (working fine BTW), i should call and say please upgrade me to a Premiere? I'd love to get a 4-tuner premiere
hanlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:09 PM   #15
badhat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanlan View Post
so if i have an older HD (working fine BTW), i should call and say please upgrade me to a Premiere? I'd love to get a 4-tuner premiere
As I understand it, the "standard" value for lifetime is 3 years. If you have lifetime service, but not yet for three years, they will consider a "swap" upgrade, and transfer the lifetime service to a refurbished Premiere (but NOT a 4-tuner model).

Two of my lifetime service agreements were inside the 3 year window, but the third had been owned with lifetime service for longer than that. I DID ask, but no upgrade path was available for that older HD. It's NOT how old the hardware is, but how long you've had the lifetime service agreement.