TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:09 PM   #571
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devx View Post
Even if there were somehow an issue that caused the Pro to freeze up due to transfers, it still should not have caused the hard drive to have an issue. I would expect that the transfer would need to be restarted and there might be partial recordings, not that the entire drive would suddenly fail.
It did boot up at the Best Buy store. But it wouldn't the several times I tried it at home. The replacement one is working great though. So I can't really complain.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:42 AM   #572
JimPa
S3 owner/user

I've always been a bit suspect of my Tivo S3 stacked on top of the Dish 722 receiver...due to the heat. As we know, heat is an enemy of electronics.

This time around, I'd like to do something to add more of an air gap between the Roamio and the Dish 722.

Googling component stacker didn't give me anything of any use.

Has anyone come up with a way to add a little space between components short of just sawing up some 1"X 1" X 1" blocks of wood and using them?

P.S. Roamio came in Wednesday afternoon. Plugged everything in and it worked fine. Only hiccup was transferring season passes and that was due to Tivo's website being temporarily down. When it came up again, transfer was pretty easy. Only complaint is that bright green light. I like having a light there and don't want to turn it off. Have some "light dims" left over and will apply one to lower the brightness.
JimPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:55 AM   #573
aristoBrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
It did boot up at the Best Buy store. But it wouldn't the several times I tried it at home. The replacement one is working great though. So I can't really complain.
When my original Pro failed, it also wouldn't boot. TiVo had me remove the cable card, and then it would boot up, but still didn't act right (i.e. it would glitch playing shows that I know recorded fine).

If you didn't have a cable card in it at Best Buy, wonder if that's why it booted.

Glad you got yours replaced so quickly. The Pros are still showing as unavailable at any of the stores within 100 miles where I live.
aristoBrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:01 AM   #574
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPa View Post
... Only complaint is that bright green light. I like having a light there and don't want to turn it off. Have some "light dims" left over and will apply one to lower the brightness.
Are these an actual product, or a home made solution?
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:14 AM   #575
JimPa
S3 owner/user

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS View Post
Are these an actual product, or a home made solution?
It's an actual product found here..... http://www.lightdims.com/

Be sure to order the right ones. The first ones I ordered totally blocked the light. Had to reorder the other kind that reduces most of it.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:34 AM   #576
aaronwt
HD Addict

I had five light Dims on my First Roamio Pro. They were a pain to take off before I returned it. I have not put any more Light Dims on the replacement yet. The red recording lights and the yellow light that flashes bother me the most. The yellow is the worst though since every time there is a button press on the remote it flashes. I had to put two light dims over top of the yellow circle so it could barely be seen.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:42 AM   #577
jmbissell

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
Yes the search works fine if you know what you want to sub to. I had/have the same issue with Tekzilla if I check on my Roamio, if you check on the web the current shows are there. For some reason HDNation is listed under the HD Shows but not the tech shows on the web site. I really love this feature of my TiVo, but it feels like TiVo is blowing it off and for me the web site is painful to use.
Thanks for the pointer to the "HD" section. The shows there are the new ones while the Tekzilla shows under the "Technology" section are stale and HD Nation is missing completely. I'll see if the shows actually get downloaded correctly. No idea why these don't show up correctly when searched from the TiVo itself. Instead, I just see the out-of-date shows.

The website is painfully slow and often asks me to login when I'm already logged in. Then I'm often given an "Oops" error when trying to view episodes or schedule a SP. The website has never been snappy but it's gotten annoyingly slow and unreliable.
jmbissell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:43 AM   #578
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristoBrat View Post
When my original Pro failed, it also wouldn't boot. TiVo had me remove the cable card, and then it would boot up, but still didn't act right (i.e. it would glitch playing shows that I know recorded fine).

If you didn't have a cable card in it at Best Buy, wonder if that's why it booted.

Glad you got yours replaced so quickly. The Pros are still showing as unavailable at any of the stores within 100 miles where I live.
I had removed all cables and cable card at one point and it still wouldn't boot up. Before I took it too Best Buy I did move it around alot and had it at multiple angles trying to get the Light Dims off. At BestBuy they plugged it in at one TV but couldn't reach the HDMI input of the TV. SO they unplugged and moved it to another TV and when they connected it to the TV it came right up. At home it was stuck at the initial screen that pops up when it is first turned on. I don't know what the issue was as long as it doesn't happen with this one.

My only other concern though is the old Pro still would have had access to all my streaming content. Although TiVo did deactivate it and it's sitting at the bottom of my TiVo list saying that it can be activated again.

The other thing I ran across, I was talking to the Magnolia rep and he did say that TiVo requires any defective TiVos to be sent back to them. He said they are not allowed to repair it. So with the extended warranty they would need to replace it. JMPage had mentioned that before too, but I had also been told something different by a previous rep, so who knows.

They were debating whether they should resell it or send it back to TiVo. And at the time I didn't think about the access to the streaming services on the box. Hopefully they will wipe the disc first if they resell it. Or just TiVo deactivating it is enough. Otherwise there is also still 2TB of content on the drive too.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:56 AM   #579
Ricco67

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
Me too. So far, this is the best out-of-the-box TiVo experience ever. And I have experienced pretty much every model. Is it perfect? No. I still have quite a few gripes, but I have will *every* model.

I probably should have gotten the Plus instead of the Pro, but whatever. They should have finished the Slide 2 remote and bundled that with the Pro.

I just purchased my Roamio Plus and I was surprised how much of an improvement it really was. A friend came over (not knowing we got a new TIVO) and wonders how our picture improved.

One thing that does annoy me is that my Desktop software doesn't work, but then again, that laptop is dying.
Ricco67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:54 AM   #580
tonestert

Love my Roamio !
The only issue I've had is when I transferred my shows from my Premiere the season and episode info did not transfer which is a pain.
tonestert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:44 PM   #581
HarperVision

Quote:
I've always been a bit suspect of my Tivo S3 stacked on top of the Dish 722 receiver...due to the heat. As we know, heat is an enemy of electronics.

This time around, I'd like to do something to add more of an air gap between the Roamio and the Dish 722.

Has anyone come up with a way to add a little space between components short of just sawing up some 1"X 1" X 1" blocks of wood and using them?

P.S. Roamio came in Wednesday afternoon. Plugged everything in and it worked fine. Only hiccup was transferring season passes and that was due to Tivo's website being temporarily down. When it came up again, transfer was pretty easy. Only complaint is that bright green light. I like having a light there and don't want to turn it off. Have some "light dims" left over and will apply one to lower the brightness.
I've used those stands designed for a monitor that sits over top of your laptop when it's folded closed and used like a regular desktop PC.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:09 PM   #582
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
I've used those stands designed for a monitor that sits over top of your laptop when it's folded closed and used like a regular desktop PC.
I use 4 plastic NyQuil type medicine cups, they fit perfectly around the rubber feet of the Premiere & Roamio Plus/Pro. You can easily spray them black if you like.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:26 PM   #583
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricco67 View Post
One thing that does annoy me is that my Desktop software doesn't work, but then again, that laptop is dying.
Time to upgrade to PyTiVo and KMTTG which both work fine and under all major OS's.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:04 AM   #584
Leon WIlkinson
TiVo Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
I use 4 plastic NyQuil type medicine cups, they fit perfectly around the rubber feet of the Premiere & Roamio Plus/Pro. You can easily spray them black if you like.
I used poker chips then tape the stack with black tape.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:26 AM   #585
JimPa
S3 owner/user

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Is this what you're talking about?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...3868&CatId=576
Old 09-21-2013, 09:14 AM   #586
JimPa
S3 owner/user

The antenna signal strength numbers for my Roamio basic appear lower than what I recall getting with the S3. I haven't noticed any picture tiling/freezing but I haven't had it long enough to view all channels.

Is this normal? What are you guys seeing?
Old 09-21-2013, 09:19 AM   #587
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by headless chicken View Post
See, I caved and bought a Premiere Elite last year when it was on sale to make way for the rebranded XL4. Oddly enough, the unit I got happened to be an XL4 but I absolutely hated the thing and returned it within a week. The new interface and severe lag times were awful.
Your loss, if you had bothered to use the SD interface instead of the half-baked HD on the XL4 it would have been faster than your ancient S3. And it is pretty much the same interface as yours.

I use the HD interface btw, and while slow at times it's not intolerable, and is way better than SD.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:21 AM   #588
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
The Roamio has had the fewest problems of any TiVo new product release in the last 5 to 6 years, the interface is not half backed
The interface will ALWAYS be half-baked as long as it's not fully HD. Same with lack of Android streaming.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 01:28 PM   #589
atmuscarella

Quote:
The antenna signal strength numbers for my Roamio basic appear lower than what I recall getting with the S3. I haven't noticed any picture tiling/freezing but I haven't had it long enough to view all channels.

Is this normal? What are you guys seeing?
There are no standards for signal strength so the numbers do not necessarily mean anything device to device. I have an original Series 3, TiVo HD, Premiere, and Roamio used for OTA. The 2 series 3 units show about the same signal strength numbers which are always higher than the Premiere and Roamio's numbers. Really all OTA signal strength numbers are good for is comparing different channels on the same device.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 01:42 PM   #590
HarperVision

Quote:

Is this what you're talking about?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...3868&CatId=576
Mine was more like this, but yeah.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...54396&csid=_61
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:04 PM   #591
I WANT MORE

I bought one.
I WANT MORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:50 AM   #592
StevesWeb
Grumpy Old Geek

Quote:

I use metal cooling racks as used in a kitchen. I put one under each component.
StevesWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:28 AM   #593
aaronwt
HD Addict

If any device has vents on top, I won't stack anything on top of it. That will be the device at the top of the stack.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:29 AM   #594
TripFoeYa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonestert View Post
Love my Roamio !
The only issue I've had is when I transferred my shows from my Premiere the season and episode info did not transfer which is a pain.
I thought this was only an issue when transferring from a Series 3 to Roamio. Did you transfer from the Premiere to a computer and then to the Roamio or straight to the Roamio from the Premiere?
TripFoeYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:18 AM   #595
MeCouchPotato

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryFarpolo View Post
It looks good so far, but the activation process so I can fully test my network is slow!
My activation actually went quite fast. I think about 20 min total.

But... I have a 60Mbit connection.
MeCouchPotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:19 AM   #596
MeCouchPotato

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_smits View Post
How is the Netflix app?
It screams. It' the fastest NetFlix App I've seen yet.

Amazon is the same old POS though
Old 09-23-2013, 01:08 PM   #597
MeCouchPotato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devx View Post
Even if there were somehow an issue that caused the Pro to freeze up due to transfers, it still should not have caused the hard drive to have an issue. I would expect that the transfer would need to be restarted and there might be partial recordings, not that the entire drive would suddenly fail.
I transferred over 100 shows from my old one to the new Pro this weekend with no issues.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:20 PM   #598
tonestert

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripFoeYa View Post
I thought this was only an issue when transferring from a Series 3 to Roamio. Did you transfer from the Premiere to a computer and then to the Roamio or straight to the Roamio from the Premiere?
No I used a cross-over cable between the two.
tonestert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:14 PM   #599
drugrep

I've had my Roamio Pro a little over a week now.

Understand I'm coming from a Series 2 Tivo connected to a Comcast box and could only record and watch 1 channel at a time.

I am happier than a pig in **** with my Roamio. I love it!

I think there may be some bugs with the iOS app, but I'm confident those will be handled in time.

I have no issues using my Roamio with Comcast and the Motorola M-Card they provided.
Series 1 (Retired)

Last edited by drugrep : 09-23-2013 at 02:34 PM.
drugrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:44 AM   #600
TheWizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Well a standby button never actually existed on a real TiVo remote. But long ago, in the days of the Pronto, someone discovered the hex code for it. For a long time I actually hosted a page on my website with these hex codes. (just stumbled across a link to my old site) I have taken the site down, but I was able to dig up the page from my backup. Here is the list of codes...

Code:
0 - 0000 006d 0022 0002 0156 00ab 0015 0040 0016 0014 0015 0040 0016 0014 0015 0014 0015 0015 0015 0014 0015 0040 0015 0014 0015 0015 0015 0014 0015 0015 0015 003f 0015 0040 0016 0014 0015 0014 0016 003f 0015 0014 0016 003f 0015 0014 0016 003f 0015 0040 0016 0014 0015 0014 0015 0015 0015 0014 0015 0015 0015 0014 0015 0015 0016 0014 0015 0040 0016 003f 0015 06e2 0155 0054 0015 0e53
The number before the dash is the TiVo remote code. Only copy the part after the dash. If you only have one TiVo then just use 0, if you have multiple TiVos then you'll need to use the one that corresponds to the code for the TiVo you're setting this up for.

Now apparently the way to enter these codes is to first log in to http://members.harmonyremote.com/ then go to this page http://members.harmonyremote.com/Eas...owInfrared.asp from there you can convert the Pronto code above into a command for your remote.

I've never actually attempted this, but according to the instructions I found it should work
I just moved to TiVo from DTV Genie, so having to setup everything again on my Harmony. I've had everything hidden in a cabinet for 10 years and rely heavily on my Harmony IR remote to control everything, so was glad to find this. I input it on the website as suggested and it works great at putting my Roamio into Standby mode. Thanks so much for this!!
TheWizz is offline   Reply With Quote