TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 63 votes, 4.92 average.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:50 PM   #1141
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwaylite View Post
...That stand was originally designed as one shelf in each section, but I had to drill new holes to fit the player, surge protector and Hopper in one spot. Luckily the Roamio is so little!
Be careful, those kangaroos have been known to stomp a Roamio to DVR dust, as posted in another thread!
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:50 PM   #1142
elwaylite

LOL. They both have their strong points.
Directv HR44/200
elwaylite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:17 PM   #1143
ggieseke

What does this have to do with the subject of this thread?
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:33 PM   #1144
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
What does this have to do with the subject of this thread?
It has to do with people lightening up and smiling once in awhile. Sounds like you could use some of that! :-/

Oh, and it has to do with not allowing Hopper and his evil sidekick, Joey, stomp all over your freshly installed bigger AV hard drive!

Last edited by HarperVision : 09-20-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:44 PM   #1145
Joe Siegler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar View Post
Here it is years ago (Jul 2011).

Today it's a lone S5 next to an XBox.

And you can't tell with this angle, but under that black shelf is almost an inch of open space to allow cold air from the front. Out the back, it's closed except for a vent up higher.
If you're getting an Xbox One, they're advising against that. Specifically "Put the Xbox One on it's side at your own risk".

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/0...your-own-risk/

TiVo Roamio 75hr unmodified, TiVo Roamio 316hr/2TB, both OTA only.
Joe Siegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:29 PM   #1146
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS View Post
Do you notice any vibration suing them vertically? Did you add any rubber feet?
No vibration, no. I did cut up some mousepads to put underneath each.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:34 AM   #1147
leiff

anyone know if my WD20EADS will work?
leiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:20 PM   #1148
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiff View Post
It should work. Other users have reported success with similar Green non AV WD drives.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:06 PM   #1149
cr33p

Im rocking a WD30EZRX in my Plus 89.99 shipped from Newegg
cr33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:45 PM   #1150
Tico
Bear Down Cats!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr33p View Post
Coupon code or something?

I see it at 129
Series3 OLED STA1520 TA Activated 9/21/06
Tico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:35 PM   #1151
bmgoodman

Quote:
How was it packaged?
bmgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:49 PM   #1152
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgoodman View Post

How was it packaged?
You mean like OEM or retail?
Old 09-24-2013, 07:12 PM   #1153
NJguy

Quote:
Don't see it for that price anywhere.
NJguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:43 PM   #1154
cr33p

It was a WD recert, I have had great experiences with them in the past, and it was in a WD clam shell type package like a retail box would have.
cr33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:45 PM   #1155
jmpage2

Quote:
It was a WD recert, I have had great experiences with them in the past, and it was in a WD clam shell type package like a retail box would have.
No thanks on that one. I don't want a refurb hard drive any more than a used jock strap.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:47 AM   #1156
bmgoodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
You mean like OEM or retail?
My beef with NewEgg the last time I ordered a hard drive was that they shipped a bare drive in *just* the plastic "clam shell" in a huge box with some peanuts in it. The drive had lots of room to bounce around inside the bigger box. They need to use much smaller outer boxes, IMO. Or use the air-filled pouches around the inner box. In any event, I won't order drives from NewEgg until they change their shipping methods.

Thanks.
bmgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:50 PM   #1157
shortcut3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgoodman View Post
My beef with NewEgg the last time I ordered a hard drive was that they shipped a bare drive in *just* the plastic "clam shell" in a huge box with some peanuts in it. The drive had lots of room to bounce around inside the bigger box. They need to use much smaller outer boxes, IMO. Or use the air-filled pouches around the inner box. In any event, I won't order drives from NewEgg until they change their shipping methods.

Thanks.
I've had mixed results with Newegg. A single OEM Seagate NAS drive was shipped in a generic 3.5" HDD cardboard container (plastic end holders sized to fit snugly). I ordered a very large set of NAS drives and they came in half the Styrofoam block from the manufacture bulk container. The exposed half was wrapped in large bubble wrap. Then a Qnap NAS was shipped without an exterior box. The drives were fine, but the NAS was DOA. In comparison, Amazon had each drive in their own generic 3.5" HDD shipping container within a huge box.
shortcut3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:19 PM   #1158
ggieseke

I got a single OEM drive from Newegg recently, and it was packed in a custom inflatable holder that was obviously designed for hard drives. A big improvement on bubble wrap and styrofoam peanouts IMO.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:33 PM   #1159
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiff View Post
It's a good drive, I had one in an S3 HD for a while before replacing it with a WD20EURS and putting the EADS in a PC to copy .tivo files to.

You'll need to run wdidle3 on the EADS to disable Intellipark or set the timer to 300 seconds to avoid the warm boot problem.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:21 AM   #1160
markp99
TakoKichi

Swapped-in a new 3TB drive last night into my Plus, Process could not have been simpler!

WD AV-GP 3TB AV Video Hard Drive (WD30EURS).

$140 on Amazon!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004W9BKE0
markp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:29 AM   #1161
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp99 View Post
Swapped-in a new 3TB drive last night into my Plus, Process could not have been simpler!

$140 on Amazon!

Swapped in the same WD30EURS into my base Roamio on Wednesday. I purchased the Amazon Warehouse deal return for $125 and it works great.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:49 AM   #1162
magnox

WD30EZRX - $82 on amazon right now.
magnox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:00 AM   #1163
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp99 View Post

$140 on Amazon!

Good to know it was easy. Guessing you just installed the drive and everything came back without having to re-do Guided Setup?

How does Tivo view people putting in their own drives when it comes to warranty issues? Do you keep the old one around incase you need to have warranty work done to the unit itself?

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:05 AM   #1164
jmpage2

No, you will have to re-do guided setup after replacing the drive and you will lose all of the recordings.

TiVo EULA does say that opening the unit voids the warranty. If you volunteer that you've monkeyed with the system then they might refuse warranty work.... or if you send a unit back with a non factory drive they also might refuse warranty work. From a warranty perspective the safest thing to do would be to keep the original drive, and not boast to them on the phone (as apparently someone here did) that you've replaced/upgraded the device when asking for warranty work to be done.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:07 AM   #1165
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
No, you will have to re-do guided setup after replacing the drive and you will lose all of the recordings.

TiVo EULA does say that opening the unit voids the warranty. If you volunteer that you've monkeyed with the system then they might refuse warranty work.... or if you send a unit back with a non factory drive they also might refuse warranty work. From a warranty perspective the safest thing to do would be to keep the original drive, and not boast to them on the phone (as apparently someone here did) that you've replaced/upgraded the device when asking for warranty work to be done.
Ah ok.....so I'm guessing all settings and season passes etc are lost as well. Does anyone know.....can you re-download season passes from Tivo.com after or does that get wiped once the new drive is in and the Tivo connects to the service?

As for the warranty...thanks. Kind of like the Apple warranty.....which is why I keep old RAM around just in case they refuse work with 3rd party RAM.

-Kevin
Old 09-26-2013, 11:11 AM   #1166
jmpage2

I realize that this is a long thread, but everything you are asking has already been covered, so you might do a search.

When you replace the drive you lose everything, including SPs, etc. You can re-transfer your SPs using tivo.com as far as I know. I just replaced my drive the day I got the box so I didn't have to mess around with losing everything later on.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:11 AM   #1167
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
I realize that this is a long thread, but everything you are asking has already been covered, so you might do a search.

When you replace the drive you lose everything, including SPs, etc. You can re-transfer your SPs using tivo.com as far as I know. I just replaced my drive the day I got the box so I didn't have to mess around with losing everything later on.
Sorry to make you waste your time.

I thought I read conflicting information, but after going through the thread again I see it's just like upgrading in the past......you lose everything including CC pairing. Only the upgrade process doesn't require a special drive with the Tivo software already on it.

So I'm guessing there is no way to transfer season passes to a new drive since Tivo.com only allows copying from 1 Tivo to another.....since there is only 1 on the account, I'm guessing after the first time the upgraded Tivo connects....it'll wipe all the season passes. Looking like kmttg if probably the best solution to copy SP for an upgraded drive.

-Kevin

Last edited by kbmb : 09-26-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:40 AM   #1168
Gary-B

After you add the new Tivo to your account, you can just transfer season passes from the on-line Season Pass Manager to the new box.
67" Samsung DLP
55" Samsung Plasma
61 Terabytes Storage.
Popcorn Hour C-300
Gary-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:46 AM   #1169
markp99
TakoKichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
Looking like kmttg if probably the best solution to copy SP for an upgraded drive.
Yep, just like upgrading in the past, except as you note, no special format/setup on the new drive. Nice!

I had a 2nd TiVo to move off my SPs. I then moved them back again with new drive inserted @ TiVo.com.

As you note, kmttg is a perfect option to take your SPs offline for the upgrade.
markp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:48 AM   #1170
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
Sorry to make you waste your time.

I thought I read conflicting information, but after going through the thread again I see it's just like upgrading in the past......you lose everything including CC pairing. Only the upgrade process doesn't require a special drive with the Tivo software already on it.

So I'm guessing there is no way to transfer season passes to a new drive since Tivo.com only allows copying from 1 Tivo to another.....since there is only 1 on the account, I'm guessing after the first time the upgraded Tivo connects....it'll wipe all the season passes. Looking like kmttg if probably the best solution to copy SP for an upgraded drive.

-Kevin
In respect to wanting to "upgrade" a drive you've already been using to a new drive and you want to preserve everything then yes, the new upgrade process is not much improved over the old one where special tools needed to be use to transfer settings, recordings, etc, over to a new drive.

The advantage (and it's a big one) is if you simply want to add capacity by way of a larger drive, don't mind losing things and re-running the setup.... for that all you have to do now is physically install a disk. That's a huge win for many of us... and also makes replacement in the event of a drive failure issue a snap.

Could TiVo make it so that the SPs, cable-card pairing, and many other things were written to flash for a drive swap out? Probably... but look at it this way, the primary reason they probably made the drive easy to swap out was for MSOs.... and those MSOs might actually look at that as a dis-advantage. If a customer brings in a TiVo or a TiVo has a problem they can just put a bare drive in and "bam" new TiVo.