TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-20-2013, 01:15 PM   #1
jtreid

Remote Unresponsive

Well, I had this problem with the Premiere XL and today, after about 2 weeks of use, the Roamio Pro is not responding to either my universal remote, the Tivo remote with IR or RF or the Tivo app remote on my iPhone. I get the yellow flash on the front of the unit with the remotes (not the app), but the Roamio just sits there acting dumb. I cannot pause or get to any menu.

Great! I guess I'll yank the plug to get a reboot. I hate doing that as the aforementioned XL hard drive died when I was replacing it with the Roamio. Thank goodness for Weaknees.
1 x S3 w/1TB Internal (1-Scard)
1 x Pioneer 810HS w/500G
jtreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:20 PM   #2
jtreid

Yep! A reboot and we're back in business. Oh woe is me. I don't want this to continue.
1 x Pioneer 810HS w/500G
Old 09-20-2013, 05:30 PM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

This use to happen occasionally on the Premiere units. It was caused by the Tuning adapter. If you unplugged the TA and allowed it to reboot the problem would clear itself up. It would also clear up on it's own if you left it alone long enough.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:56 PM   #4
chicagobrownblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
This use to happen occasionally on the Premiere units. It was caused by the Tuning adapter. If you unplugged the TA and allowed it to reboot the problem would clear itself up. It would also clear up on it's own if you left it alone long enough.
Never had a tuning adapter and I had enough reboots, spontaneous or required on the HDUI on my Premiere that I went back to the SDUI. I was an early adopter with the Premiere; I'll be a late adopter with the Roamio.
RCN Signature HD but no premium channels
Panasonic TC-42PX14 42" 720p plasma HDTV
Sony BDP-S360 Blu-ray Player Refurb $59
chicagobrownblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:34 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

That may be true, but it's not really pertinent to the OPs issue. What the OP describes is a problem that's haunted the Premiere for years. Basically the TiVo will continue to function as normal, record shows, play whatever was playing, but it will not respond to the remote control. There is a huge thread about it in the Premiere forum. After a lot of trial and error by the more heavily afflicted users they discovered that the problem was related to the tuning adapter and that rebooting it would cause the problem to go away. Whether the problem is the TiVos fault or the TAs fault I can't say for sure, but rebooting the TA is faster and a lot less invasive then rebooting the whole TiVo.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:39 AM   #6
chicagobrownblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
That may be true, but it's not really pertinent to the OPs issue.
The remote became non-responsive right before some of the Premiere reboots. I think that one of the issues caused by the remote is using it quickly or going from deep in one menu item to a totally different menu; sometimes after starting a recording from the guide menu. I've learned to pause after starting a recording.

The other problem is that we are all left to wonder if the Premiere problem was a slow processor, slow Internet connection, bad flash software, ... TiVo never really explained this, so here we go again with the Roamio.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:54 AM   #7
jtreid

I'm the OP. I have never had tuning adapters. So, TA's in my case are not applicable. Also, I wan't navigating menus. I just got up and hit pause and no response. Very similar to my past experiences with the Premiere, which by the way, I can't recall the last time it happened on that box.
1 x Pioneer 810HS w/500G
Old 09-21-2013, 12:30 PM   #8
chicagobrownblue

OK. With the SDUI I've waited 5 minutes and the remote regained responsiveness. On the HDUI waiting 20 minutes did not restore the remote. I'm guessing your issue is like the HDUI issue, but waiting a little might do the trick. You might want to report this to TiVo technical support so they can take a look at your TiVo.

Thanks for your post. I'm going to wait before getting a Roamio.