TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-16-2013, 02:04 PM   #1
DaveDFW

Loss of internet or ethernet takes down MoCA?

I'm using my Plus as a MoCA bridge. The MoCA segment only contains the Plus and a Mini, and the Plus's ethernet port is directly attached to my router.

I've noticed that when I reboot my router (which obviously disables the internet, but also takes down the Plus's ethernet link) my Mini disconnects from MoCA saying the network is no longer available.

Should the loss of either internet or ethernet link on the Plus disrupt the MoCA network? It seems like the MoCA segment shouldn't be affected by either of those two occurrences.
DaveDFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #2
Smirks
.:. Hello .:.

I had something similar happen the other day...

My mini upstairs is connected to my Plus downstairs via MoCA. My PS3 is connected to the Plus via ethernet and I have a Actiontec MoCA bridge in the basement by the router.

I was watching something on the mini, and my wife was launching the Amazon app on the PS3 to stream something from Prime. The mini cutout due to a network error either when the PS3 was powered on, or when the Amazon app was being loaded (I'm not 100% sure of the timing, but it was during one of those activities).

I immediately tried to reconnect with the mini and it everything came right back and I haven't had the problem since. I also haven't been using the mini when someone was trying to stream to the PS3 either. More investigation is required I suppose.
Smirks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:53 PM   #3
Tico
Bear Down Cats!!!!!

When you lose your router you lose your IP's and Routing.
Series3 OLED STA1520 TA Activated 9/21/06
Tico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:08 PM   #4
DaveDFW

Yes, there's no routing but the devices are not losing their IPs and nothing is different in the MoCA segment. The Mini will not connect to the Roamio via MoCA when ethernet is lost at the Roamio.

Line four from this troubleshooting chart seems to match this situation and states that I should still be able to MRS.

Is this behavior different from the Elite/XL4? It seems like this is an error--is the Mini totally nonfunctional if my internet happens to be down?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini chart.jpg (37.9 KB, 149 views)
Old 09-16-2013, 06:11 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

It's probably not the fact that your internet is down, but the fact that the Ethernet port is not active. I bet if you had the Roamio plugged into a switch instead of directly into your router this wouldn't happen. You have the Roamio in bridge mode. If there is no active Ethernet port then there is nothing for it to bridge.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:32 PM   #6
DaveDFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
It's probably not the fact that your internet is down, but the fact that the Ethernet port is not active. I bet if you had the Roamio plugged into a switch instead of directly into your router this wouldn't happen. You have the Roamio in bridge mode. If there is no active Ethernet port then there is nothing for it to bridge.
It looks like this is what's happening. The Mini still functions over MoCA with internet down but with Roamio's ethernet link up.

Losing ethernet link on the Roamio disrupts the MoCA network, presumably because the bridge is interrupted.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Does anyone know if the XL4/Elite behaved the same way?
Old 09-20-2013, 02:03 PM   #7
a1tiguy

Hi there...new to this thread...am having a real hard time setting up the Moca network without a diagram...I've seen the one that shows a cable box and gaming console but don't understand how that works with the Roamio (no built in MOCA) and the TA...can someone direct me to a diagram, please??...thanks
a1tiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:03 PM   #8
AdamNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1tiguy View Post
Hi there...new to this thread...am having a real hard time setting up the Moca network without a diagram...I've seen the one that shows a cable box and gaming console but don't understand how that works with the Roamio (no built in MOCA) and the TA...can someone direct me to a diagram, please??...thanks
If you have the Roamio base model ($199), it does not come with built in MOCA. As such, if you want to use MOCA, you will need to get MOCA adapters involved. We need to know more about your setup and what you are trying to do.

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote