TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 112 votes, 4.97 average.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:03 PM   #301
keenanSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyf View Post
So this will probably never propagate to Comcast, right? Even though we use the same cards?
I'm curious about this as well although I haven't seen Comcast mentioned in this thread. It appears to be focused on CableVision and Verizon as far as I can tell, though the thread title is not selective of any particular provider or providers.
keenanSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:42 PM   #302
inc77

So I received the update from Cablevision this afternoon while I was at work. Cable card is now on 1.5.3 1101. I recorded 6 channels (mixture of HBO and Showtime) for about an hour and had no errors. It looks like it's fixed.
inc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:52 PM   #303
AdamNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by YanksRule View Post
I have lowered the number of tuners to 5, but how are we going to know when the firmware is updated and the 6th one is available? I guess it will just take trying to enable it once in a while?
Who is your provider? If it is Cablevision, I would expect it to be released generally to all CC users after the couple of us test it out a little. And we might get a date saying so.

You can check the firmware version using the instructions in this thread. There is no message that the tivo box displays or anything.

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:56 PM   #304
AdamNJ

got version 1.5.3.1101!

When I got home from work, I was able to confirm that I got the update to Cisco firmware 1.5.3.1101.

I would say it is going to take a few days to give a good test before we can say the issue is fixed. But so far with a 10 minute test of changing channels on all 6 tuners, no issues.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:09 PM   #305
AdamNJ

Quote:
So this will probably never propagate to Comcast, right? Even though we use the same cards?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
......or Time Warner? I'm on 153 0601
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenanSR View Post
I'm curious about this as well although I haven't seen Comcast mentioned in this thread.

The few of us that got the update to 1.5.3.1101 have to test it out first. I assume Cablevision only sent it to a handful of us so that we could test it and report back before they do a more general release. But CV doing a release certainly won't directly affect other networks.

Cablevision is the only company who admitted knowing about the issue and that they were testing newer firmware to correct it (although admittedly as a CV customer, I was only searching for this issue on CV elsewhere on the internet). Also note that on this board there are people who say that 1.5.3.0601 works already and we know of a provider who has their own 6 tuner dvr using this 601 release. The first step is getting the provider to care/acknowledge the issue so that they can start their own testing. Tivo might be able to apply some pressure from their end.

Margret might be able to shed more like on the question of "what about the rest of us?"

Old 09-19-2013, 08:25 PM   #306
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamNJ View Post

Did you put the 1.5.3.0601 card in your Roamio? I know you talked about it being in your HD HomeRun and what you were going to try it. But I never saw an update on if it fixed anything?
Yes I ended up having time to do it last night. It didn't fix anything. I have also tried dropping number of tuners from 6 all the way down to 3 with no success either. I'm really getting quite fed up with the possibility of spending $1500+ on a Pro, minis and Lifetime on each only be their beta tester!!! WMC here I come! At worst I'll keep expensive, over compressed HD DirecTV.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:56 PM   #307
razor237

I wonder if the Cablevison SA cards are gonna get that firmware as well or should i try to get a Cisco card from them
razor237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:23 PM   #308
NJguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor237 View Post
I wonder if the Cablevison SA cards are gonna get that firmware as well or should i try to get a Cisco card from them
Or what about Cablevision NDS cards? I wish Cablevision was monitoring this site like Margaret from Tivo is. I have not seen an update on that card yet. Anyone with a Cablevision NDS card know of any update to those? I haven't received any emails or anything from them or Tivo. Hope it happens (or happened) soon.
NJguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:58 PM   #309
AdamNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor237 View Post
Scientific Atlanta (SA) was bought by Cisco some years ago. So in the case of cablecards, they are the same and run the same software/firmware.

pkm800 / pkm802 - branded as SA
pkm801 / pkm803 - branded as Cisco
pkm908 - newest from Cisco, supports 8 tuners, but u probably won't find your provider using them.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:26 PM   #310
jwbelcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by netw0rks View Post
I am on the Cisco PKEY1.5.3_F.p.0601 firmware, and I only have 5 tuners available. I also have some troubles tuning HBO/Cinemax channels. I am on Time Warner, in the Charlotte NC area.

Is there anything I can help with to get this resolved?

I did follow the steps in #212 to do the 777 Clear.
I have the same problem as you on Brighthouse in Orlando. Which is basically TWC with a different name. I have a tuning adapter and routinely fail on premium channels with Roamio. I dont experience issues on non-SDV channels or with normal broadcast channels using the CableCARD (FW 0601) when the TA is disconnected. However I have no consistency with tuning SDV + TA.

Its sounds like the same issue as Dave (HarperVision). I hope this issue has someone's attention.

James
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:47 PM   #311
AdamNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbelcher View Post
I have a tuning adapter and routinely fail on premium channels with Roamio. I dont experience issues on non-SDV channels or with normal broadcast channels using the CableCARD (FW 0601) when the TA is disconnected. However I have no consistency with tuning SDV + TA.

Its sounds like the same issue as Dave (HarperVision). I hope this issue has someone's attention.
It is my understanding that when the TA is connected, Tivo relies on the TA for all tuning decisions, the CC is only used to decrypt. I wonder if it could be possible that your TA cannot handle more then a certain number of streams.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:11 PM   #312
gamo62

I'm having issues with Cincinnati Bell Fioptics. Only 4 out of 6 are authorized, with one being used for the Mini.

Current f/w: PKEY_1.5.2_F.p.1401
Build Time April 20. 2009

Last edited by gamo62 : 09-19-2013 at 11:25 PM.
gamo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:28 AM   #313
cpgny9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJguy View Post
Or what about Cablevision NDS cards? I wish Cablevision was monitoring this site like Margaret from Tivo is. I have not seen an update on that card yet. Anyone with a Cablevision NDS card know of any update to those? I haven't received any emails or anything from them or Tivo. Hope it happens (or happened) soon.
I have a cablevision (in NJ) NDS card w/version 3.92.13 and have the roamio plus since the day it came out, and all 6 tuners have been working fine. Had some problems at first on a couple of the tuners - just pulled the card out and put it back in a couple of times and a couple of resets later, everything worked.
cpgny9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:43 AM   #314
NJguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpgny9 View Post
I have a cablevision (in NJ) NDS card w/version 3.92.13 and have the roamio plus since the day it came out, and all 6 tuners have been working fine. Had some problems at first on a couple of the tuners - just pulled the card out and put it back in a couple of times and a couple of resets later, everything worked.
Interesting. I'm not showing that build win NDS. I'm showing VGUARD 3.0.7_F.p.0501. Says build time for this was Mar 3, 2011. This is my 2nd card with this exact build.

Really happy for you it's working well since day one. I've got the Plus and wondering how long it will be before i use 6 tuners. I have a couple more weeks before I'm locked in with Tivo but I do have a 60 day return policy with BB. May try to call Tivo to see if they can extend.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:28 AM   #315
tyheyn

2401 Cable Cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
More feedback from our engineer:

Re: Post #221/Verizon FIOS is a different issue. Tuning works fine on all
six tuners, but macroblocking has been reported on some channels. During our
investigation, we determined that the problem does not exist on version 017
cards:
514517-002-00 - Older
514517-006-00 - Old
514517-017-00 - Newer
We are not finished investigating, but there is a chance we can workaround
problems with the older cards through a software release. In the mean time,
version 017 cards do work.

Re: Post #222/Thanks for the feedback, CoxInPHX. It is good to know that
your particular combination of hardware and firmware is working fully.

Re: Post #223/monkeydust - please gather all the information described in
post #212. That should be hugely helpful.

Re: Post #226/generaltso - Yours is a heavily tested configuration, and we
have not experienced any issues. On the next failure, please gather the
information described in post #212.

Re: Post #227/andyf - the behavior you describe sounds more like the
CableCARD is crashing and being reset. You may have a faulty CableCARD. On
the next failure, please gather the information described in post #212.
getting the 777-Clear in during the period where all tuners are black would
be quite useful.

Re: Post #230/profet and Post #232/Am_I_Evil - We're hearing more about NDS
cards. Please go through the CableCARD menus and determine what firmware
version you are running.

Re: Post #233/NJChris - Your CableCARD is definitely too old. You need to
be at 1.5.2_2801 or higher.
Hi, Margret,

As I read through all of the posts, a lot of us Comcast subscribers are at 2401 for our CableCARDS; I'm guessing that that is the most recent mainstream release from Comcast. Is TiVo working to address this issue for this level of firmware?

Thanks!

Tyson
tyheyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:51 AM   #316
I WANT MORE

Does anyone have any experience with Midcontinent Communications? Anyone have them as a provider and able to use all 6 tuners?
I WANT MORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:44 AM   #317
Smirks
.:. Hello .:.

I checked on things yesterday evening and this morning and I'm happy to report all 6 tuners are still working with the 1.5.3_1101 firmware!

With 1.5.2_1601 my 6th tuner would V58 after a couple of hours. Now it's gone over 24 and still chugging along! I'd say things are definitely looking brighter for us Cablevisioners with Cisco/SA cards!
Smirks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:51 AM   #318
andyf

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyheyn View Post
Hi, Margret,

As I read through all of the posts, a lot of us Comcast subscribers are at 2401 for our CableCARDS; I'm guessing that that is the most recent mainstream release from Comcast. Is TiVo working to address this issue for this level of firmware?

Thanks!

Tyson
Comcast in Houston subscribers were updated to 3001 a couple of years ago so it's unlikely 2401 is the latest mainstream release.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:09 AM   #319
anthonymoody

So I got the update (CV, westchester county NY) and switched back to 6 tuners (I'd had to drop to 5). At first the added tuner said something like "Show not found" or something to that effect in the tuner list. But, it could tune channels. The channel number and show simply wasn't reflected in the list.

Then I rebooted and now all 6 tuners seems to work. Fingers crossed that this is "it!"
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:48 AM   #320
AdamNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
So I got the update (CV, westchester county NY) and switched back to 6 tuners (I'd had to drop to 5). At first the added tuner said something like "Show not found" or something to that effect in the tuner list. But, it could tune channels. The channel number and show simply wasn't reflected in the list.

Then I rebooted and now all 6 tuners seems to work. Fingers crossed that this is "it!"
Yes you need to reboot after changing the # of tuners, so the "Show not found" isn't something to be worried about.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:08 AM   #321
mchief
Morey

I am also on Comcast and 3001. Still don't know if that is current or not. Tivo Roamio Plus arriving next week, I hope.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #322
HarperVision

Quote:

It is my understanding that when the TA is connected, Tivo relies on the TA for all tuning decisions, the CC is only used to decrypt. I wonder if it could be possible that your TA cannot handle more then a certain number of streams.
Yeah I was thinking that myself. You may be on to something, but I could swear I remember tuning 6 different streams that I'm sure are SDV. It seems to be hit or miss with me. It works one time, then not the next. It could certainly be a TA issue though, even if not a "number of streams" issue.

Last edited by HarperVision : 09-21-2013 at 02:30 AM.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:03 PM   #323
keenanSR

Quote:
Quote:
The few of us that got the update to 1.5.3.1101 have to test it out first. I assume Cablevision only sent it to a handful of us so that we could test it and report back before they do a more general release. But CV doing a release certainly won't directly affect other networks.

Cablevision is the only company who admitted knowing about the issue and that they were testing newer firmware to correct it (although admittedly as a CV customer, I was only searching for this issue on CV elsewhere on the internet). Also note that on this board there are people who say that 1.5.3.0601 works already and we know of a provider who has their own 6 tuner dvr using this 601 release. The first step is getting the provider to care/acknowledge the issue so that they can start their own testing. Tivo might be able to apply some pressure from their end.

Margret might be able to shed more like on the question of "what about the rest of us?"
Thanks for the response, and good idea on asking Margret about other providers.
keenanSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:25 PM   #324
Smirks
.:. Hello .:.

Came home tonight to a frozen TiVo. Not sure if it was related to the new firmware, but I haven't seen this problem in the nearly two weeks it's been hooked up. Had to pull the plug and do a hard power cycle to get things going again. Guess I'll have to keep a closer eye on it for he next couple of days.
Smirks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:58 PM   #325
YanksRule

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post

I guess the updates are going out in waves as I am also CV of Westchester and still have the old firmware :-(. Hopefully it will be soon...
YanksRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:13 AM   #326
Jobeo

I'm on cablevision in CT and I definitely didn't receive any firmware update... still on 1.5.2 1601

However, switching to 5 tuners seems to have resolved all my issues
Jobeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:38 AM   #327
anthonymoody

Thanks Adam for confirming the need for the reboot.

Yanksrule and Jobeo - if you haven't, make sure to email Marget at TiVo with your CV phone number and Roamio TSN. She forwards that to the CV techs for them to push out the FW update. My sense is that they do it selectively, not universally, as they don't want to risk breaking other devices in the field with a new FW if it's not absolutely necessary. (Sorry if this is obvious).
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:02 PM   #328
AdamNJ

i have no confirmation on this, but i really think if all the of CV customers wait a few more days for those that have the new firmware to confirm no issues, then it will be rolled out to every card. i doubt they want multiple versions to deal with.

Old 09-21-2013, 04:52 PM   #329
NJguy

Quote:
i have no confirmation on this, but i really think if all the of CV customers wait a few more days for those that have the new firmware to confirm no issues, then it will be rolled out to every card. i doubt they want multiple versions to deal with.
Well they have multiple versions since I have an NDS card now and they do not offer any other card in my Cablevision service area. I hope/(think?) you're right.

If this get's fixed I'll sign up for lifetime with my TiVo and my 2 Mini's. I'm a new TiVo convert! Thanks to all of you who have been with TiVo for a long time. You're overall good comments are what swayed me away from the awful "whole home" service that Cablevision claims is so great.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:42 PM   #330
netw0rks

Quote:
Originally Posted by netw0rks View Post
I am using a TA. I called TWC and they asked me to check levels also, on the TA. I did and found:

Tuner: -11dBmv
FDC: dont remember
RDC: 30's

Tech stated that anything under -7 was bad. The range is supposed to be -7 to +7. So I went outside and made the connection the TA is on a homerun. No splitters, etc. in the path.

Now my values are better, -3, 0, 26. However, I still have the channel tuning issues. I have a tech coming in the morning. What a pain.
An update....

It turns out that my firmware does not have the 5 tuner problem, I in fact do see all 6 tuners, and can record across all of them at the same time. I was looking at the info screen wrong. I thought the the multi-circle icon showed all my available tuners, but it dawned on me that i have those 5 plus the one I'm on. However....

I still have massive tuning issues. To date, I've literally spent close to 5 hours on the phone with Tivo and/or TWC. They of course pointed the finger at each other, but I'll boil it down like this. I've had a tech out and changed ends on connectors, (they were fine, I made them myself, compression type) added an amp, checked all signal levels, swapped out cable card, swapped out tuning adapter. I had to drive and get these items myself. Thanks TWC... #middlefiger

No dice. I still get black screens on 5/6 out of 10 channel changes. So, now a trip back to BestBuy. I swapped out the Tivo, brought it home and hooked it up to the new TA and cablecard, ran through the guided setup, blah blah, NO DICE. Same problem. Queue another 2.5 hour call with TWC and Tivo.

Through it all, I'll say that Tivo's support has been very good. Polite, courteous, understanding of the hassle, etc. I won't go into all the details, but they've taken all my testing info and sent it to 'engineering'. (I don't like being a beta tester, but I have faith in this product, it's very good, er, could be)

Hopefully, I'll get a resolution. The tech I worked with acknowledged that there must be 'software issues' between the tivo and the tuning adapter/cable card. Let's see how long that will be.
netw0rks is offline   Reply With Quote