Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-17-2013, 06:30 PM   #31
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
That's good info, thanks.
Hmm. Trying it just now on my Mini the "skip back" button now acts like "back" and the "B" button does nothing, so looks like it changed in one of the recent updates. I actually like this way better since it is more intuitive and matches the icon displayed in YouTube.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:11 PM   #32
jmpage2

They need to map one of the buttons on older remotes to do the equivalent of the back button in apps like Netflix. Annoying.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:30 PM   #33
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
They need to map one of the buttons on older remotes to do the equivalent of the back button in apps like Netflix. Annoying.
They have. On my Slide remote it is the ZOOM button.

On my S3 remote it is the Aspect Ratio Button.

EDIT: On my S2 remote the PiP button is the "back" function.

And again on my S4 IR remote, the Zoom button is used as "back"

These all work for me as the "back" button in the Netflix and the Youtube apps.

And what all these buttons have in common with the Roamio remote is that each button that is used as "back" is in the same location on the remote as the "back" button is on the Roamio remote.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt : 09-17-2013 at 08:39 PM.
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:00 PM   #34
innocentfreak

Quote:
I wonder how the RF pairing will be accomplished... since that's pretty much guaranteed to need to take place.

I would consider getting one of these and moving the existing remote to a location with a Mini. It's surprising to me that the Mini remote does not have the "back" button that is clearly going to be needed moving forward for apps like Netflix.
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2719

Quote:
To pair a different remote to your DVR

You can control the Roamio Series DVR with a different remote or transfer the remote to another DVR by performing these steps:
Prepare the DVR for pairing:

Press the Live TV button to go to Live TV.
Press Clear, Enter, Clear, 221, Clear.

The DVR is now in a new pairing state.
Put the Roamio remote into Allow Pairing mode:

Make sure that the remote is in IR mode by pressing and holding the TiVo+Red C buttons until the activity indicator lights.
Press and hold the TiVo+Back buttons until the activity indicator light turns red. The remote control will then send pairing requests for 30 seconds (as indicated by the flashing amber activity indicator).

The remote will pair with any DVR that is accepting pairing requests.

NOTE: If pairing is unsuccessful, the remote will return to its original state (either paired or unpaired).

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:16 AM   #35
jmpage2

Awesome info, thanks!
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:54 PM   #36
Joe Siegler

I wanted one of these for the longest time until I realized I didn't really need it.

With all their pushing of the mobile app, you can connect THAT to your TiVo, and type from there. Keyboard is much larger, too.

TiVo Roamio 75hr unmodified, TiVo Roamio 316hr/2TB, both OTA only.
Joe Siegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:54 PM   #37
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
I wanted one of these for the longest time until I realized I didn't really need it.

With all their pushing of the mobile app, you can connect THAT to your TiVo, and type from there. Keyboard is much larger, too.
Tablet/phone is usually a PITA. It needs to be available, charged, have to possibly unlock it, launch the app or switch to it, possibly wait for it to load/connect, possibly select WHICH TiVo, get into the right mode, etc.

With the Slide remote- it is always right there, since you use it constantly anyway. Battery life is like a YEAR. Just slide it open and type on a physical keyboard. Couldn't be faster, easier, or mode convenient.

Now, if you were doing a lot of searching and texting and such, it might be worth the effort/ordeal to use a tablet or phone, but I find for quick stuff, nothing can touch the convenience of the Slide.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:36 PM   #38
Fist of Death
Bon Vivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
Tablet/phone is usually a PITA. It needs to be available, charged, have to possibly unlock it, launch the app or switch to it, possibly wait for it to load/connect, possibly select WHICH TiVo, get into the right mode, etc.

With the Slide remote- it is always right there, since you use it constantly anyway. Battery life is like a YEAR. Just slide it open and type on a physical keyboard. Couldn't be faster, easier, or mode convenient.

Now, if you were doing a lot of searching and texting and such, it might be worth the effort/ordeal to use a tablet or phone, but I find for quick stuff, nothing can touch the convenience of the Slide.
100% agree with the above. This sums up my opinion perfectly.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:50 AM   #39
swerver

Is it just me, or is it true that I can't type in the youtube app anymore? The search screen just has a long line of the whole alphabet but my keyboard doesn't work with it???
swerver is offline   Reply With Quote