TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-19-2013, 12:40 AM   #1
jkeyser

Shows deleting as soon as they're recorded

I'd really appreciate any advice here: I have looked through old posts but only found a couple of similar complaints, with no definitive solution.

I've had a Tivo Premiere Q (through my cable company) for about 3 months, and it had been working fine. In the last 5 days, though, I had FOUR separate times where it recorded a show, and immediately deleted it after the recording was finished. I am nearly certain that the shows were recording (I brought up the Tivo menu while recording on a couple of them, and saw that it was recording), but then as soon as they "finished", they were gone from my list. I've had two "successful" recordings, as well as several Tivo suggestions recorded in the same time frame.

I'm currently using about 85% capacity, which is not a ton of room, but should be more than sufficient for these shows. The shows do not show up in the deleted shows category. If I look in the history, it shows them as "deleted" with a reason of "space needed" and a time stamp of whatever the current time is. But again, space should not be an issue here (I've previously recorded up to the 99% range). Also, in flipping by the channel, I know there was at least a signal when I checked for 2 of the 4 shows, so if there were signal problems, they were not continuous.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be, and how to fix it? I will call my cable provider and/or Tivo tomorrow, but I expect they will be totally unhelpful, especially since it's not quickly reproducible.
jkeyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:48 AM   #2
Arcady
Stargate Fan

If you have a bunch of season passes set to KUID (keep until I delete) then it will immediately delete other things (even fresh recordings) to keep room for those KUID passes.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:24 PM   #3
etz

You said "(I brought up the Tivo menu while recording on a couple of them, and saw that it was recording)". Are you sure it was actually recording at the time? Did you see the actual video?

Sometimes if you have a bad or missing video signal, the box will look like it's recording as per the indicator lights and now playing / to do lists, but you're just recording black screen. As soon as the 'recording' is done, it deletes it.
etz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:12 PM   #4
jkeyser

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, for at least one of those deleted episodes I saw that the tuner really was getting the signal. I didn't watch the whole thing - if I lost a signal at some point in the process, would the whole thing delete? We had problems several weeks ago with bad signals (we were missing whole channels that never came up), but after the cable company replaced some cables, that seemed to be fixed now.

As for the KUID season passes, I do have a few (3, I think). In fact, one of those KUID season passes was one of the episodes that was deleted! One of the 2 successful records this week was also a season pass. Are you saying that there is a bug in the TIVO software where it deletes at random if you have KUID season passes? If so, is there a fix for this (again, I had plenty of recording space for these shows)? If I remove the season pass but program them individually would that remove the bug?

Again, I really do appreciate the help! As a relatively new TIVO owner, I'm rather frustrated by this. I'm about ready to go back to a VCR: despite the SD quality, and lack of basically any features, my VCRs never missed as many recordings in 20+ years of use as this TIVO DVR has now missed in one week.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:28 PM   #5
mattack

Check the *recording history*
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:18 PM   #6
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Check the *recording history*
The OP did that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeyser View Post
If I look in the history, it shows them as "deleted" with a reason of "space needed" and a time stamp of whatever the current time is.

Old 09-20-2013, 04:30 PM   #7
worachj

Maybe your cable company is setting the copy control information (cci) flag to copy never for some shows. During recording you can check which CCI flag is being used under Settings=-> Account & System Information => DVR Diagnostics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copy_Control_Information
0x07 - Content is Copy Never for digital content (deleted after 90 minutes) and Macrovision 7 day/24 hour for content recorded from analog channels. Content cannot be transferred via TiVoToGo transfers or MRV, and cannot be saved to VCR or DVD.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:24 AM   #8
jkeyser

Well, it seems that a simple power cycling of the system was enough to solve the problem, at least for now. I've been successfully recording for a couple of days now - we'll see if this holds up longer-term.

I feel kind of silly that the "fix" was so simple (and that I hadn't tried it yet!), but it is a little disturbing that the software state was able to get corrupted like it did for no apparent reason.