TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-19-2013, 03:20 PM   #1
Big Boy Laroux

Emergency Alert issue

Hey all, weird thing happened on my Roamio Pro last night.

Emergency alert came for an amber alert and interrupted what I was watching. That's fine, expected behavior.

However, when the alert was over, the TiVO went back to a basic channel (CSPAN in my case) and the TiVo became unresponsive. Would not respond to any commands from the remote.

I pulled the plug on the tivo, and plugged back in. When it came back up, it was still on CSPAN and STILL unresponsive to remote.

After about 2-3 minutes, the channel changed and i was able to use the remote again.

I am on Comcast using a Motorola M-Card.

Anyone else seen this or heard of it occurring elsewhere? Hoping it was just a one-time thing.

Thanks!
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:24 PM   #2
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux View Post
Hey all, weird thing happened on my Roamio Pro last night.

Emergency alert came for an amber alert and interrupted what I was watching.
This is an alert controlled by the cable company?
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

This is normal. You just have to wait it out. The cable company sends an OOB signal to the TiVo telling it when the alert starts and when it ends. Until it gets the end signal you can not press any buttons on the remote. The actual alert is simply played as normal video on CSPAN so it doesn't actually have anyway of detecting that the alert is done. It'll stay on that station until it gets the OOB end signal from the cable company.

Unfortunately this alert thing is part of the CableCARD specification and there is nothing TiVo can really do about it.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:12 PM   #4
Big Boy Laroux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
This is normal. You just have to wait it out. The cable company sends an OOB signal to the TiVo telling it when the alert starts and when it ends. Until it gets the end signal you can not press any buttons on the remote. The actual alert is simply played as normal video on CSPAN so it doesn't actually have anyway of detecting that the alert is done. It'll stay on that station until it gets the OOB end signal from the cable company.

Unfortunately this alert thing is part of the CableCARD specification and there is nothing TiVo can really do about it.
Thanks for the info. So you're saying that even if the actual video of the alert is over, there is something that the cable company sends to indicate when the tivo can become responsive again. Got it.

I used to get alerts on my TiVo HDs quite a bit, but it would always be responsive once the alert ended and it went back to CSPAN. I guess the timing of the OOB end signal to the actual video of the alert was better. On this one last night, it was probably a good 5 minutes after the alert ended before it became responsive again.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:25 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux View Post
Thanks for the info. So you're saying that even if the actual video of the alert is over, there is something that the cable company sends to indicate when the tivo can become responsive again. Got it.

I used to get alerts on my TiVo HDs quite a bit, but it would always be responsive once the alert ended and it went back to CSPAN. I guess the timing of the OOB end signal to the actual video of the alert was better. On this one last night, it was probably a good 5 minutes after the alert ended before it became responsive again.
OK 5 minutes is a long time. Perhaps your TiVo did lock up or the cable company forgot to send the end signal. Hopefully it was a fluke and wont happen again.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:23 PM   #6
mattack

...and if you are getting these alerts, you may want to put your Tivo(s) in STANDBY when not using them, because then your Tivo will IGNORE them and keep recording the show you intended to record..
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:43 PM   #7
rainwater

I'm guessing it is just an issue with your cable company. I've seen the EAS alerts stick around for quite a while. In my case, I get to watch QVC for a few minutes.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:27 AM   #8
Dan203
Super Moderator

Up until about a week ago I got to see a black screen. Always freaked me out when it happened because the TiVo would just go black and I could not push any buttons. The reason I got a black screen is because until a week ago CSPAN was an analog only station and my Elite and Roamio could not actually tune the channel. Finally last week they started simulcasting some, but not all, of the analog stations and CSPAN was one of them.