TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-18-2013, 06:23 PM   #541
jmpage2

It probably failed due to normal hard drive infant mortality.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:46 PM   #542
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1273 View Post
But much, much slower channel scans than my HDHHomeRunPlus units via Media Center.
Really? I notice the exact opposite with slower channel changes using my HDHomerun Prime with WMC than with the Roamio pro.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:18 PM   #543
Devx

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbissell View Post
...Several folks with TiVo HDs have commented on how much faster the Roamio interface is. While I'm sure it's much better than the Series 4/Premieres, which I have never seen, I don't find the Roamio to be nearly as responsive as the HD.

I bought the Roamio for the four tuners (didn't need 6) but I really don't see much else to get excited about over the HD. And the HD came with a manual, which was also useful...
Are you using the remote that came with the Roamio? RF brings a noticeable speed improvement on its own although the box is still fast without it. A universal remote, like the Harmony, especially if the delay hasn't been reduced can make commands appear slower.

Another poster, BurnBaby, made a thread with some handy links to the guides and manuals for the Roamio.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=509211
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:21 PM   #544
consumedsoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devx View Post
Are you using the remote that came with the Roamio? RF brings a noticeable speed improvement on its own although the box is still fast without it. A universal remote, like the Harmony, especially if the delay hasn't been reduced can make commands appear slower.

Another poster, BurnBaby, made a thread with some handy links to the guides and manuals for the Roamio.

Out of curiosity how do you reduce the lag (didn't know they even added a delay) to the Harmony remote setup?
Old 09-18-2013, 07:40 PM   #545
aaronwt
HD Addict

Crap. Now the TiVo site is down due to maintenance. Just when I wanted to transfer over the rest of my SPs.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #546
Devx

Quote:
Originally Posted by consumedsoul View Post
Out of curiosity how do you reduce the lag (didn't know they even added a delay) to the Harmony remote setup?
It's been a while. The post doesn't refer to it but there should be a repeating key delay in there somewhere too. That would be in addition to the inter-key delay.

Quote:
To adjust the delays (speed settings) following these steps:
1.Launch the Logitech Harmony Remote Software and login to your account
2.Click on the Devices tab
3.Click on the Settings button next to the device that you wish to adjust the delay
4.Select Adjust the delays (speed settings) and then click on the Next button
http://blog.logitech.com/2010/08/24/...e-help-button/
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Old 09-18-2013, 07:59 PM   #547
Devx

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Crap. Now the TiVo site is down due to maintenance. Just when I wanted to transfer over the rest of my SPs.
No good luck for you today. I think KMTTG can do it without access to TiVo.com. I could be mistaken though but worth a try.
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Old 09-18-2013, 08:08 PM   #548
JimPa
S3 owner/user

Just got my Roamio basic a couple of hours ago.

Does it support podcast off of the internet? I don't see it where it use to be on my S3
JimPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:13 PM   #549
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
No good luck for you today. I think KMTTG can do it without access to TiVo.com. I could be mistaken though but worth a try.
And that's another thing I'm having an issue with. I was going to try KMTTG but I'm having issues on my TiVo Dekstop machine. And I'm wondering if somehow that caused a problem with the Roamio Pro. I had turned on my TiVo Desktop machine last night and forgot to turn it off. Now I see there was some update and my Raid 5 drive is not showing up now which stores TiVo recordings. I wonder if it was downloading some shows to the TiVo Desktop app that I had set up for auto download and that froze the Romaio Pro somehow?
Old 09-19-2013, 05:27 AM   #550
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPa View Post
Just got my Roamio basic a couple of hours ago.

Does it support podcast off of the internet? I don't see it where it use to be on my S3
Yes it does. I have season passes to about 25 pod-casts. You are however correct that finding them is not easy like it used to be. You can use search to find them or you can do it on line which is more like you could on older TiVos directly. When TiVo's web site is working ok it is pretty easy to see what is available and sign up for pod-casts, but it can be fairly painful if the web site is moving slow, and at times it just does not work at all. Took me several days to get all my pod-casts moved to my Roamio.

Good Luck,
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:12 AM   #551
headless chicken

So glad I didn't give in and buy one of these things
headless chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:35 AM   #552
uw69

Quote:
Originally Posted by headless chicken View Post
Being an "early adopter" is not for everyone. Like many others, I have some issues (one mainly) but I certainly am impressed and enjoy the vast majority of the experience I am getting from the Roamio.

I think another very positive point is how active TiVo (Tivo Margret) has been in working through issues. Going through the growing pains of a complex new product, can be a little frustrating.
1 Roamio plus 470 hours
3 TiVo Mini's

Last edited by uw69 : 09-19-2013 at 07:53 AM.
uw69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:49 AM   #553
markp99
TakoKichi

Quote:
Funny. I have the exact opposite opinion.

I am totally happy I gave in an bought one of these things!
markp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:59 AM   #554
jmpage2

Quote:
Sounds like sour grapes to me. Roamio is an improvement in pretty much every way from the Premiere let alone the S3/HD. Sure, there are some people having problems with cable-cards and tuning adapters, I would imagine that TiVo will be working hard with the cable providers to get those issues solved.

You should also look at the results of the poll so far. With about 150 voters so far over 90% of owners are either thrilled with the Roamio or very happy with it.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:20 AM   #555
atmuscarella

Quote:
Why? Most people love their new Roamio DVRs. As with anything their will be some defective units, some people will need time to adjust to get used to how these units work, and yes some people will never be happy, but these DVRs are, without a question, TiVo's best DVRs ever and likely the most advanced OTA/Cable DVR you can buy/rent.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 09-19-2013, 09:32 AM   #556
headless chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Sounds like sour grapes to me. Roamio is an improvement in pretty much every way from the Premiere let alone the S3/HD.
Nope, its relief. I love my S3 OLED. At some point I'll pick up a Roamio but I can wait until the kinks are all sorted out and the price drops.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:43 AM   #557
uw69

Quote:
Nope, its relief. I love my S3 OLED. At some point I'll pick up a Roamio but I can wait until the kinks are all sorted out and the price drops.
Nothing wrong with that, I loved my S3 OLED enough I didn't even bother with series 4 hardware. When you do take the jump your going to be amazed at the improvements and how nice it is to have 4 or 6 tuners.
1 Roamio plus 470 hours
3 TiVo Mini's
uw69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:59 AM   #558
markp99
TakoKichi

Quote:
Yep, loved my S3 OLED too, but I couldn't actually READ the display from my couch! D'oh.

I really don't miss it on my Premier XL4 and now the Roamio.
markp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:12 AM   #559
lessd

Quote:
The Roamio has had the fewest problems of any TiVo new product release in the last 5 to 6 years, the interface is not half backed, we are not waiting for major upgrades to make promised things work (except for some cable card problems going to six tuners), and hard drive upgrades (or hard drive repair) could not be any easier, IMHO this has been the most trouble free TiVo new product release in a long time.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:17 AM   #560
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
The Roamio has had the fewest problems of any TiVo new product release in the last 5 to 6 years, the interface is not half backed, we are not waiting for major upgrades to make promised things work (except for some cable card problems going to six tuners), and hard drive upgrades (or hard drive repair) could not be any easier, IMHO this has been the most trouble free TiVo new product release in a long time.
And it figures. I never had a major issue with any of my other TiVos over the last 12 years. This is the first one that had an issue. But I was probably over due to have an issue. But the Romaio is certainly worth the upgrade. And aside from cable card pairing issues with FiOS yesterday, setup and Season Pass transfer is very quick. Everything was up and running perfectly last night with the replacement Roamio Pro and my two Minis connected to it.

Although I still think my TiVo Desktop machine may have somehow caused an issue with the other Roamio Pro. Or just the opposite, the Romaio Pro having an issue caused the problem with my TiVo desktop machine. Either way though I've wiped every disc in my Raid 5 on that machine and trashed several Terabytes of recordings I had on it. I'll probably just throw a 3TB drive in there for now instead of using the Raid 5 setup.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:28 AM   #561
lessd

Quote:
And it figures. I never had a major issue with any of my other TiVos over the last 12 years. This is the first one that had an issue. But I was probably over due to have an issue. But the Romaio is certainly worth the upgrade. And aside from cable card pairing issues with FiOS yesterday, setup and Season Pass transfer is very quick. Everything was up and running perfectly last night with the replacement Roamio Pro and my two Minis connected to it.

Although I still think my TiVo Desktop machine may have somehow caused an issue with the other Roamio Pro. Or just the opposite, the Romaio Pro having an issue caused the problem with my TiVo desktop machine. Either way though I've wiped every disc in my Raid 5 now and trashed several Terabytes of recordings I had on it. I'll probably just throw a since 3TB drive in there for now instead of using the Raid 5 setup.
There are two types of issues, unfinished design and a given TiVo that has a problem unique to that TiVo (a bad something or other), that what the warranty is for, however the latter is still a PITA.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:49 AM   #562
atmuscarella

Quote:
Nothing wrong with that. I waited on the Premiere and still got burned a little (ok not much as I got a really good deal on a new Premiere with lifetime). But because of the issues I have with the Premiere and OTA reception I ended up having to keeping all my units.

Now with the Roamio working so well I need to figure out how much of the 5+TBs of shows I have on 3 older TiVos I really want and then buy enough drives to move the shows to my computers so I can sell the older units.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 09-19-2013, 11:05 AM   #563
headless chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by uw69 View Post
Nothing wrong with that, I loved my S3 OLED enough I didn't even bother with series 4 hardware. When you do take the jump your going to be amazed at the improvements and how nice it is to have 4 or 6 tuners.
See, I caved and bought a Premiere Elite last year when it was on sale to make way for the rebranded XL4. Oddly enough, the unit I got happened to be an XL4 but I absolutely hated the thing and returned it within a week. The new interface and severe lag times were awful.

The Roamio has a stupid name and won't win any prizes for its aesthetics, but it seems to be an improvement over the Premiere line. I'll buy mine once all the major issues are all worked out and the price drops by at least 33%.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:43 PM   #564
jmbissell

Quote:

I have been using my URC MX-500 universal remote but have started to use the TiVo remote since I have two TiVos for now and need to have them as 1 and 2. RF may be a bit faster than IR but I don't really notice it. I still don't see a major speed difference from the TiVo HD but I never had any issues w/ the speed of that box. No annoying lag in the 5 years I've been using it.
jmbissell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:48 PM   #565
jmbissell

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
Yes it does. I have season passes to about 25 pod-casts. You are however correct that finding them is not easy like it used to be. You can use search to find them or you can do it on line which is more like you could on older TiVos directly. When TiVo's web site is working ok it is pretty easy to see what is available and sign up for pod-casts, but it can be fairly painful if the web site is moving slow, and at times it just does not work at all. Took me several days to get all my pod-casts moved to my Roamio.

Good Luck,
I was easily able to find/schedule all of my TiVo HD pod/webcasts on the Roamio by using the Search function. However, Tekzilla and HD Nation are not showing new programs (Feb is the last one for Tekzilla) even though the HD continues to download the latest episodes. The online TiVo Web Videos list does not even show HD Nation now and trying to access Tekzilla just tells me there are no videos available after spinning for 5 minutes. Not sure what is going on.
I do miss the ability to browse available webcasts directly on the Roamio.

Last edited by jmbissell : 09-19-2013 at 02:57 PM.
jmbissell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:21 PM   #566
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbissell View Post
I was easily able to find/schedule all of my TiVo HD pod/webcasts on the Roamio by using the Search function. However, Tekzilla and HD Nation are not showing new programs (Feb is the last one for Tekzilla) even though the HD continues to download the latest episodes. The online TiVo Web Videos list does not even show HD Nation now and trying to access Tekzilla just tells me there are no videos available after spinning for 5 minutes. Not sure what is going on.
I do miss the ability to browse available webcasts directly on the Roamio.
Yes the search works fine if you know what you want to sub to. I had/have the same issue with Tekzilla if I check on my Roamio, if you check on the web the current shows are there. For some reason HDNation is listed under the HD Shows but not the tech shows on the web site. I really love this feature of my TiVo, but it feels like TiVo is blowing it off and for me the web site is painful to use.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 09-19-2013, 05:03 PM   #567
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp99 View Post
Funny. I have the exact opposite opinion.

I am totally happy I gave in an bought one of these things!
Me too. So far, this is the best out-of-the-box TiVo experience ever. And I have experienced pretty much every model. Is it perfect? No. I still have quite a few gripes, but I have will *every* model.

I probably should have gotten the Plus instead of the Pro, but whatever. They should have finished the Slide 2 remote and bundled that with the Pro.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:05 PM   #568
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
You might be waiting a looooooooooong time if past performance is any indication of future returns.

As for price- don't hold your breath. The majority of the cost is the lifetime service, and that is very VERY unlikely to change. Perhaps the plus/pro might drop a little, but hardly enough to matter in the big picture.

The speed and font readability of the Roamio, ALONE, makes it worth the upgrade to me.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:36 PM   #569
headless chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
You might be waiting a looooooooooong time if past performance is any indication of future returns.

As for price- don't hold your breath. The majority of the cost is the lifetime service, and that is very VERY unlikely to change. Perhaps the plus/pro might drop a little, but hardly enough to matter in the big picture.
I can always buy a used unit with lifetime off CL or ebay in the future. I got my S3 OLED upgraded with 1TB drive and Lifetime service for around $450 and it was in perfect condition.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:47 PM   #570
Devx

Quote:

Although I still think my TiVo Desktop machine may have somehow caused an issue with the other Roamio Pro. Or just the opposite, the Romaio Pro having an issue caused the problem with my TiVo desktop machine. Either way though I've wiped every disc in my Raid 5 on that machine and trashed several Terabytes of recordings I had on it. I'll probably just throw a 3TB drive in there for now instead of using the Raid 5 setup.
Even if there were somehow an issue that caused the Pro to freeze up due to transfers, it still should not have caused the hard drive to have an issue. I would expect that the transfer would need to be restarted and there might be partial recordings, not that the entire drive would suddenly fail.
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)