TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-19-2013, 12:22 PM   #1
the_Skywise

HR10-250 reboots/crashes on signal loss

For the past year or so I had noticed that my DirecTV tivo (HR10-250) had rebooted (both tuners were on the same channel) at some point when I wasn't looking and sometimes it'd be hung. It's a minor annoyance so I would just move on or reboot and move on.

I noticed last week during a thunderstorm and signal loss that my Tivo rebooted after being up for two weeks and then again, last night during a thunderstorm with signal loss my Tivo froze up not once but TWICE during a long storm.

I don't think that's a coincidence. Anyone else seen a pattern like that?
the_Skywise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:44 PM   #2
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

It's not uncommon when reception is interrupted. It's also possible that your AC power "glitched" due to a lightning strike.
HR10-250 HD DVR 400GB (v6.4a)
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
litzdog911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:00 PM   #3
the_Skywise

Quote:
Originally Posted by litzdog911 View Post
It's not uncommon when reception is interrupted. It's also possible that your AC power "glitched" due to a lightning strike.
Hope not... it's going through a battery backed UPS.

Actually I thought about that too but there was no lightning strike at the time, just rain. (There had been several hours earlier that caused several "spikes" in my lighting but the TiVo kept running then.)

The box is obviously old (I've replaced the power supply and have gone through several hard drives) so I was wondering if there was a known aging decoder issue or something.
the_Skywise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:50 PM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_Skywise View Post
Hope not... it's going through a battery backed UPS.

Actually I thought about that too but there was no lightning strike at the time, just rain. (There had been several hours earlier that caused several "spikes" in my lighting but the TiVo kept running then.)

The box is obviously old (I've replaced the power supply and have gone through several hard drives) so I was wondering if there was a known aging decoder issue or something.
Is it possible that you replaced the power supply with one that also eventually fell victim to capacitor plague?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:40 PM   #5
glenn m

I have 6 directv TIVO's . 2 HR10-250's and 3 R10's . All units are locking up at the same time with the rain fade that occurs daily in my area of Florida. This started 8 months ago to 1 year. So I can confirm that it is a directv problem with the older TIVO's
software. I have a new directv TiVo and it fades out with the rest but comes back and does not lock up. Directv claiming it is an antenna problem, switch etc so service is coming today....will post if we find anything. Some of the TiVo's reboot and reset after the rain fade, but not consistant.
glenn m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:25 PM   #6
glenn m

Tech was here....looked at signal, wiring, dish alignment and basically cancelled call. No issues found. Back to tech support.
glenn m is offline   Reply With Quote