TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-18-2013, 04:37 PM   #31
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Depends... for ME, The Shield was just too cruel and I ended up deleting the SP. Some of the things that happened to people were so dark and disturbing that they literally haunted me for days afterward. Probably because in my mind, I knew that there are actually people in the World that would do things like that...

So The Shield is not for the faint of heart. The Wire was pretty good but there's an unnecessary amount of foul language in it. Every character talks like Dexter's sister in that show. Personally, if I had to pick, I'd probably go The Shield, but beware.... there's some sick ass psychos in that show.

ETA: boy I sound like prude...
Old 09-18-2013, 04:49 PM   #32
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
Depends... for ME, The Shield was just too cruel and I ended up deleting the SP. Some of the things that happened to people were so dark and disturbing that they literally haunted me for days afterward. Probably because in my mind, I knew that there are actually people in the World that would do things like that...

So The Shield is not for the faint of heart. The Wire was pretty good but there's an unnecessary amount of foul language in it. Every character talks like Dexter's sister in that show. Personally, if I had to pick, I'd probably go The Shield, but beware.... there's some sick ass psychos in that show.

Funny that you mention Dexter. I watch(ed) The Shield, The Wire, The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones...but I couldn't handle Dexter. Partly because I didn't think it was a "good" show (I just didn't like it that much) but also something about the killing and the gore bothered me. Though I've probably seen worse on the other shows I watch.
tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:00 PM   #33
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoboyjr View Post
Funny that you mention Dexter. I watch(ed) The Shield, The Wire, The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones...but I couldn't handle Dexter. Partly because I didn't think it was a "good" show (I just didn't like it that much) but also something about the killing and the gore bothered me. Though I've probably seen worse on the other shows I watch.
The first two seasons which were based on the Novels were the best, but overall it's been pretty good. They are wrapping the series this year and I think it's a wise decision.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:41 AM   #34
fmowry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post

There was a realistic amount of foul language in the Wire for urban Baltimore, blue collar dock worker Baltimore, and BCPD Baltimore.

So you didn't like either, didn't finish one (at least) and you're giving recommendations?
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:05 AM   #35
mr.unnatural

And yet you're from Baltimore with a Pittsburgh helmet as your avatar.

Go Ravens!
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:58 AM   #36
Fahtrim

The Wire, I still see as best show ever.
The Shield, great entertaining show.
Homicide Life on the Streets, watch it before you watch the wire, it warms you up to the style and is also an awesome show in and of itself. Andre Braugher in "the box" created some of the best scenes EVER in cop shows.
Fahtrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:04 AM   #37
goblue97
Hoke-amania

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
He may not be from Baltimore......just currently in Baltimore.

Go LIONS.
goblue97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:12 AM   #38
InterMurph

I only watched one episode of The Shield, so I can't comment on it.

But The Wire is the single greatest achievement in the history of TV. So at some point, you owe it to yourself to watch it. I would recommend starting today, or tomorrow at the latest.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:20 AM   #39
JohnB1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterMurph View Post
I only watched one episode of The Shield, so I can't comment on it.

But The Wire is the single greatest achievement in the history of TV. So at some point, you owe it to yourself to watch it. I would recommend starting today, or tomorrow at the latest.

How can you say that if you haven't watched The Shield - maybe it is the single greatest achievement
Old 09-19-2013, 10:29 AM   #40
cheesesteak
Meh.

I thought the fourth season of The Wire - the season of the school kids - was the most perfect thing I've ever seen on tv.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:12 AM   #41
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
I thought the fourth season of The Wire - the season of the school kids - was the most perfect thing I've ever seen on tv.
I thought Morgan Fairchild guest starring on Happy Days was the most perfect thing I've ever seen on TV, but The Wire was a better show.
tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:42 AM   #42
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterMurph View Post

.... The Wire is the single greatest achievement in the history of TV.
The problem is that you are hardly the first person to say this. In fact, so many people have said how amazing the show is, that I worry it can't possibly live up to the expectations I have for it.
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:11 PM   #43
fmowry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post

Go Ravens!
<middle finger icon>

My father's side of the family is from the 'Burgh and my mom was German. I was raised properly as a Steeler fan like every child of a Pittsburgh native well before the Colts loaded up the Mayflower vans and left their fans rooting for the Baltimore Stallions CFL team.

And I'll be at the Thanksgiving game sporting my Hines Ward jersey with the other half of Ravens stadium wearing black and gold.

38 years within 10 miles of Baltimore city is enough to have some knowledge on the subject.
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:06 PM   #44
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmowry View Post
<middle finger icon>
Real classy and just about what I'd expect from a Steelers fan. Too bad the Squealers aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Sports critics are already saying they're done for the year.

Quote:
My father's side of the family is from the 'Burgh and my mom was German. I was raised properly as a Steeler fan like every child of a Pittsburgh native well before the Colts loaded up the Mayflower vans and left their fans rooting for the Baltimore Stallions CFL team.
So, brainwashed from birth. That makes sense. Perhaps we ought to have an intervention on your behalf.

Definitely a dark day for Colts fans (Baltimore, not the Indianapolis Irsays). The NFL comissioner screwed us on getting an expansion team when smaller markets ended up with them, like Jacksonville, even though we offered a better package. My son grew up as a 'Skins fan because they were the only game in town. I grew up with Johnny Unitas and the real World Champion Baltimore Colts.

Quote:
And I'll be at the Thanksgiving game sporting my Hines Ward jersey with the other half of Ravens stadium wearing black and gold.
The Maryland Stadium Authority and Joe Flacco appreciate your support (somebody has to pay his salary, why not a Steelers fan). I'll be sitting home watching my big screen TV and drinking microbrews that don't require a 2nd mortgage to afford.

Quote:
38 years within 10 miles of Baltimore city is enough to have some knowledge on the subject.
By that reckoning, 62 years in the Baltimore area gives me even more. Aside from not liking the Steelers due to being division rivals, I've always respected the franchise. In fact, during the years of the NFL drought in Baltimore, I probably rooted for the Steelers and the Redskins the most. The Terry Bradshaw era completely outshined the current wannabes. Now that was a football team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goblue97 View Post
He may not be from Baltimore......just currently in Baltimore.

Go LIONS.
But apparently he likes Baltimore enough to indicate he lives there. A real Steelers fan would never admit to that.

Last edited by mr.unnatural : 09-19-2013 at 01:42 PM.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:50 PM   #45
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

Tough call, but for me it's The Shield. Not only for Vic but for Shane too.

Speaking of scenes that gave me nightmares...

Spoiler:
Acevedo when the gang bangers held a gun to his head and recorded it on his phone. :shudder:

Old 09-19-2013, 02:31 PM   #46
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahtrim View Post
The Wire, I still see as best show ever.
The Shield, great entertaining show.
Homicide Life on the Streets, watch it before you watch the wire, it warms you up to the style and is also an awesome show in and of itself. Andre Braugher in "the box" created some of the best scenes EVER in cop shows.
I sit possible to watch H:LOTS on line anywhere yet? I've looked in the past, but it's been a while.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #47
Fahtrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman View Post
I sit possible to watch H:LOTS on line anywhere yet? I've looked in the past, but it's been a while.
I don't know. It's been a while, but t o r r e n t should still work
Old 09-19-2013, 02:38 PM   #48
uncdrew
Annie 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by goblue97 View Post
I'll echo the other comments that The Wire was some of the best TV I have ever seen. I really enjoyed the Shield too but would rank The Wire ahead of it.
Agreed.

The Wire is/was just so darn good.

I look forward to watching it again. I doubt I'll watch The Shield again, though loved it the first time.
uncdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:38 PM   #49
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
I'm sure you could watch it while sitting. You might stand and cheer occasionally though.

scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:40 PM   #50
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahtrim View Post
I haven't seen The Wire. I loved The Shield, and even more, I loved H:LOTS! Great show!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:59 PM   #51
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
I'm sure you could watch it while sitting. You might stand and cheer occasionally though.

a comedian eh?
Old 09-19-2013, 10:52 PM   #52
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
a comedian eh?
I sit that obvious?
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:26 PM   #53
JasonD

The Wire is possibly the best tv show ever written. Many of the Actors are locals so its authentic. The real crime not one Emmy award? Why? Possibly because most of the actors were individuals of color. Not one Emmy! really?
JasonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:36 PM   #54
JohnB1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonD View Post
The Wire is possibly the best tv show ever written. Many of the Actors are locals so its authentic. The real crime not one Emmy award? Why? Possibly because most of the actors were individuals of color. Not one Emmy! really?
Man that's some bs.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:58 PM   #55
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB1000 View Post
Man that's some bs.
You got that right...what a load...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:42 AM   #56
Fahtrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by markz View Post
I haven't seen The Wire. I loved The Shield, and even more, I loved H:LOTS! Great show!
You would mostly likely enjoy The Wire then. Highly recommend.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:50 PM   #57
gweempose

I finished the first season of 'The Shield' last night. Burned through all 13 episodes in about a week. Very entertaining show! I love the frenetic camera work, and Chiklis does a great job. Prior to this show, I was only familiar with him from The Fantastic Four movies. It's also interesting to see a much younger Walton Goggins. I've always liked his character on 'Justified'.
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:45 PM   #58
bengalfreak

The Shield is a great, great, great show. However, The Wire is the best of all time.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:19 AM   #59
GoPackGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfreak View Post
The Shield is a great, great, great show. However, The Wire is the best of all time.
This.
GoPackGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:23 AM   #60
Timbeau

As said, The Shield is a great, great, great show, in my opinion The Wire is a much more sophisticated show. It had enough action to satisfy my man genes, it was intricate enough to keep me wondering but most of all it made me feel the utter hopelessness of living in that environment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-- visionary
Timbeau is offline   Reply With Quote