TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.00 average.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:37 PM   #31
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
Wouldn't an HDMI handshake indicate that MINI was connected to a Television in an ON state?

If the Television is ON, then the MINI should not time out.

Does that make sense?
Not necessarily. What if I'm connecting through a receiver or HDMI switch or active splitter that is always on? Some TVs keep the HDMI handshake alive even when TV is off. What if I use the component breakout cable to connect to TV instead and not HDMI at all? There's too many permutations of connections to be able to make assumptions based on HDMI connection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:07 PM   #32
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Some TV sets keep the HDMI handshake even when off. I know mine does. That's why the component outputs on a regular TiVo keep working even when I shut off the TV. On my old TV, the handshake broke when the TV was off, and I got a warning on the component outputs instead of video.

edit: I didn't see the comment above this one when I replied.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:16 PM   #33
ckelly33

I'm considering a mini and I'm not sure I understand all of this. How does the time out work? If I'm watching a long football game is it going to ask me if I am still watching?
Old 07-30-2013, 08:53 AM   #34
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly33 View Post
I'm considering a mini and I'm not sure I understand all of this. How does the time out work? If I'm watching a long football game is it going to ask me if I am still watching?
If you don't use the remote for a certain amount of time.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:46 AM   #35
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly33 View Post
Only if you never touch the remote for more than 90 minutes while watching. Personally I'm always using the remote periodically for something - either skipping commercials or adjusting sound or something, so it's never been an issue for me.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:58 AM   #36
HenryFarpolo

It isn't an issue for me, but it irritates my wife which by default makes it an issue for me.
HenryFarpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:49 PM   #37
Loach

The time-out has become more annoying for me since the 20.3.1 update. Now when I receive the "Are you still there?" message and select "OK" to clear it, video and audio cease for a second or two. I don't actually miss any video or audio - it just seems to delay it like hitting the pause button would. Then when it comes back, I have to hit the Jump or FF button to get back to truly live TV. Really annoying when watching a sporting event.
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:20 PM   #38
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I would hate for them to get rid of this. The thing they need to add is the ability to make it shorter.
One night in my bedroom I wanted to watch something. But the Mini from the other room was still connected since it had not been 90 minutes yet. So I had to get up to address the Mini in the other room. If the timer had been 30 minutes or even less in that instance I would have never needed to get out of bed to be able to view a channel on the Mini in my bedrom
Do you not have a smart phone?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:37 AM   #39
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
That's a rather wise-ass kind of remark to a legitimate problem. Not to mention, hmmm... let's fire up the TiVo app, then let's find that particular TiVo, then let's go ahead and exit the live TV so that I can tune a channel on this local tivo.

Or, my fat ass could burn a few calories and walk 100 feet and do it with the IR remote.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #40
Grakthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Not necessarily. What if I'm connecting through a receiver or HDMI switch or active splitter that is always on? Some TVs keep the HDMI handshake alive even when TV is off. What if I use the component breakout cable to connect to TV instead and not HDMI at all? There's too many permutations of connections to be able to make assumptions based on HDMI connection.
Seems like it's simple to have a setting in the mini that says "timeout: never, HDMI handshaking, 30, 60, 90"

I mean, of course, you change the wording on that to be like "when should the mini release it's video stream back to the Premier to reduce bandwidth and free up the tuner?"

"Never."
"Anytime the TV is detected to be off (may not work on all TVs)"
"30 minutes"
"60 Minutes"
"90 Minutes (default)"

Of course, TiVo has to care about this before they will fix it.

I do not own a Mini, but my intention has been to watch them and possibly buy one someday when I move to a larger house with a basement TV.

Knowing about this timeout, however, I am now far more inclined to go a different route.
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:23 PM   #41
jmpage2

I've seen many people complain about this, but has anyone actually contacted TiVo directly by phone to complain about it and insist the issue get escalated? Sometimes this is the only way the engineers doing the software find out about the problem and desired change.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:43 PM   #42
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
That's a rather wise-ass kind of remark to a legitimate problem. Not to mention, hmmm... let's fire up the TiVo app, then let's find that particular TiVo, then let's go ahead and exit the live TV so that I can tune a channel on this local tivo.

Or, my fat ass could burn a few calories and walk 100 feet and do it with the IR remote.
And you're calling my remark "Wise-ass"? You totally ignored the fact that for the poster to whom my response was intended, it was more than just "walking a hundred feet", he had to disarm his alarm system. Admittedly that is at least partially my fault since, while I had read the post in which he mentioned that fact, I quoted an earlier post if his..

Old 08-03-2013, 05:36 PM   #43
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Not in my bedroom. My cell phone rarely goes past the entry door since that is where the charging station is and it connects to my cordless phone over BT. So as soon as I come in the cellphone goes on the charger and it has automatically connected so that I can make or receive any calls on my cordless phone from my personal cellphone, my work cell phone, and my landline.

And my tablets were not in the bedroom either.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:48 PM   #44
lpwcomp

Quote:
Not in my bedroom. My cell phone rarely goes past the entry door since that is where the charging station is and it connects to my cordless phone over BT. So as soon as I come in the cellphone goes on the charger and it has automatically connected so that I can make or receive any calls on my cordless phone from my personal cellphone, my work cell phone, and my landline.

And my tablets were not in the bedroom either.
Ah, OK. So much for that idea.

Old 09-16-2013, 02:35 AM   #45
Jeremy5

Giving this thread a bump. I just returned to TiVo with a new Roamio and two minis after a several year hiatus. While I am generally happy with what I've found, the time-out is my number one gripe. I like to sleep with the TV on, and no longer can. In my office, I like to have the TV on in the background and not have to fumble for the remote every 90 minutes.

TiVo, please give us a choice! I do not ever need my Roamio to have all 6 tuners and would happily choose a "never time-out" setting.
Jeremy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:32 AM   #46
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy5 View Post
Giving this thread a bump. I just returned to TiVo with a new Roamio and two minis after a several year hiatus. While I am generally happy with what I've found, the time-out is my number one gripe. I like to sleep with the TV on, and no longer can. In my office, I like to have the TV on in the background and not have to fumble for the remote every 90 minutes.

TiVo, please give us a choice! I do not ever need my Roamio to have all 6 tuners and would happily choose a "never time-out" setting.
I don't think it is giving you all your tuners is the main reason for this as in the TP-4 one tuner is set only for the Mini (until DTA if ever) I think this time out is TiVo answer to keeping your network traffic down, but just give us some options TiVo.

Old 09-16-2013, 11:55 AM   #47
moyekj

For those with a server running 24/7 one potential workaround is to have a simple program that uses the telnet capability to mimic a remote key press on the Mini every 60 minutes or so to prevent the timeout from happening.

Old 09-16-2013, 12:09 PM   #48
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
I don't think it is giving you all your tuners is the main reason for this as in the TP-4 one tuner is set only for the Mini (until DTA if ever) I think this time out is TiVo answer to keeping your network traffic down, but just give us some options TiVo.
Options would be nice, but while network traffic might be a consideration, I think it is also a tuner issue.

Question for those with a Mini and a Roamio - if all of the other tuners are recording something, are you given the option to let the tuner you are watching on the Mini change the channel and start recording? And default to a "yes" if there is no response? IOW, does it work like watching "live" TV on a TiVo?

Old 09-16-2013, 12:44 PM   #49
moyekj

Quote:
Question for those with a Mini and a Roamio - if all of the other tuners are recording something, are you given the option to let the tuner you are watching on the Mini change the channel and start recording? And default to a "yes" if there is no response? IOW, does it work like watching "live" TV on a TiVo?
If the host Roamio needs the tuner being used by Mini to record something it will prompt the Mini user if it's OK to take the tuner, with default answer of yes. So if Mini user does nothing then the tuner is taken by the host Roamio.

Old 09-16-2013, 09:38 PM   #50
lessd

Quote:
Options would be nice, but while network traffic might be a consideration, I think it is also a tuner issue.
It can't be a tuner issue as when the Mini first came out as you had to assign a tuner from your Premiere 4 for the Mini, so you only had 3 tuners to record, Mini on or off, and for the Roamio, if it needs a tuner to record it will ask the Mini to give up its tuner, default is yes. The only logic I can see with this Mini time out is network traffic reduction and maybe some power reduction also (to get a green rating ??).

Old 09-17-2013, 09:27 AM   #51
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
It can't be a tuner issue as when the Mini first came out as you had to assign a tuner from your Premiere 4 for the Mini, so you only had 3 tuners to record, Mini on or off, and for the Roamio, if it needs a tuner to record it will ask the Mini to give up its tuner, default is yes. The only logic I can see with this Mini time out is network traffic reduction and maybe some power reduction also (to get a green rating ??).
My Minis use around 5.7 watts while streaming a channel and around 5.2 watts when just in the menus. A half watt savings is not very much.

If I put the Mini in standby it uses 4.4 watts. But you have to manually put the Mini in standby.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:04 PM   #52
lessd

Quote:
My Minis use around 5.7 watts while streaming a channel and around 5.2 watts when just in the menus. A half watt savings is not very much.

If I put the Mini in standby it uses 4.4 watts. But you have to manually put the Mini in standby.
The 1/2 watt is still a 9% savings, I don't know what it takes to get this new green rating, and I don't know if the network system uses more power when the Mini is showing a channel, what about the Roamio (or TP-4) the Mini is connected to, any power savings when the Mini goes off line??

Old 09-17-2013, 05:25 PM   #53
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
The 1/2 watt is still a 9% savings, I don't know what it takes to get this new green rating, and I don't know if the network system uses more power when the Mini is showing a channel, what about the Roamio (or TP-4) the Mini is connected to, any power savings when the Mini goes off line??
I don't recall specifically checking my Roamio power usage when streaming to my Minis. I'll need to look at it sometime.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:19 PM   #54
aaronwt
HD Addict

I just checked the power usage of my Romaio Pro. When streaming live channels concurrently to both of my TiVo Minis, the power usage of my Pro increased by .2 to .3 watts. This was also while one recording was taking place.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:19 AM   #55
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
The 1/2 watt is still a 9% savings
LOL - there are lies, damned lies, and statistics.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:59 AM   #56
cr33p

Has anyone analyzed the differences in power usage using MOCA vs Ethernet?
cr33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:23 AM   #57
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
LOL - there are lies, damned lies, and statistics.
I only guessing as to why they put this timeout in the Mini without any user control, does not seem to make sense as some people use (or want to use) the Mini to have the TV on all night in the bedroom, or in a workout room where your spending more than 90 minutes working out and want the TV on (or the kitchen for background TV) .

Old 09-19-2013, 01:32 PM   #58
swerver

Well I for one like it, built in sleep timer for my bedroom tv, unlike you goofballs I like the tv off when I sleep. But I definitely agree it should be configurable.
swerver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:32 PM   #59
Bigg

They should make it user configureable... however, people should NOT be sleeping with the TV on. It is not healthy to have excess noise and light in your room while you are sleeping.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:35 PM   #60
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
They should make it user configureable... however, people should NOT be sleeping with the TV on. It is not healthy to have excess noise and light in your room while you are sleeping.
??? How is it not healthy? If it helps people sleep then I would think it's healthy. Personally I don;t sleep with my TV on, but I have a very difficult time sleeping with little to no ambient noise. I need some ambient noise, like a fan or heat pump outside and I will fall right asleep. If it's quiet I will toss and turn for hours since I can hear every little noise from all over. Like insects outside, creaks from things expanding and contracting, people talking or using the bathroom from 2 floors up. I hear too much when it's quiet. I need some ambient noise to drown it out. I'll even hear a watch or clocking ticking from down the hall which along with the sound of running water are two of the most annoying sounds to me. And I can't use ear plugs because then I will hear my blood flowing and my heartbeat. WHich will prevent me from sleeping as well.