TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:27 AM   #61
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibsparky View Post
Can I just take the cable card out of my Tivo HD and put it in my new Roamio and it will just work?
Yes it shoudl work. It did with mine. I just couldn't view HBO and Cinemax until it was paired.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:40 AM   #62
pbubel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibsparky View Post
Can I just take the cable card out of my Tivo HD and put it in my new Roamio and it will just work?
Yes you can. You won't be able to get HBO and Cinemax until you pair it however. All of the other channels should work just fine.
pbubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:12 PM   #63
vurbano

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbubel View Post
Why can't you transfer your seasons passes? I was able to move mine via the website, just don't move any from HBO yet.
it wouldnt work yesterday. But I tried today and it did.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:16 PM   #64
pbubel

Quote:
Originally Posted by vurbano View Post
it wouldnt work yesterday. But I tried today and it did.
Run into the same problem. TiVo's website is always slow and sometimes just won't work. I was hoping when they relaunched it when the Roamio's launched it would improve, but doesn't look like it did.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:23 PM   #65
andrews777

A possibly helpful note for people working through problems:

I just spent an hour on the phone with a helpful Fios rep and only figured out right at the end that I had not hooked the coax up. Stupid user error, but everything showed "fine" on his end, which shows that they can't tell if you are really connected.

I then ran guided setup again and I think reset the box. I called them and worked through the automated system to pair the cable card. That got my channels up (finally), but now I am not authorized to see any of them, even though the list of channels seems to indicate the ones you would expect (and is missing channels like HBO that I don't pay for).

I will try to update this when I get done, but I would encourage everyone to double check connections, especially if your media area is as crowded as mine is and you are trying to keep an existing unit running while you setup the Roamio.

EDIT: I called back in and somehow the card showed up as disabled in the view of another CSR. She ultimately went through the whole pairing and initialization process again and everything seems to be working. I still have a few channels that tell me "not authorized" like MGMHD, but that may be on a pay tier I didn't realize.

I did notice that the CableCard Conditional screen (I think) showed 0 2 3 4 5. Does that mean that I only have 5 tuners working?

Roamio, 3 Minis

Last edited by andrews777 : 09-04-2013 at 03:02 PM.
andrews777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:43 PM   #66
cheeser

Swap cablecard

I may have missed it but what is the process to swap cards from a Premiere to the Roamio with fios? I am guessing I need to call tech support since the card needs to be paired with the roamio but it should not need to be reactivated. Any thoughts?
cheeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:54 PM   #67
WRX09MD

Quote:
Why can't you transfer your seasons passes? I was able to move mine via the website, just don't move any from HBO yet.
Was that free to transfer season passes or did you purchase the software?
Slide x 2
Slide Pro x 2
Verizon Fios
WRX09MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:15 PM   #68
BruceShultes

Late this afternoon, I received my Pro and started to connect it.

It took close to an hour and a half before It had downloaded and installed all updates and I got it activated.

Then I inserted the cable card.

First I tried to activate it through the website. Although both the website and the Pro said the card was activated, I was receiving nothing other than local channels.

I called verizon support and they got it working in about 20 minutes. From what I was told they had to de-activate the card and then activate it again.
BruceShultes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:09 PM   #69
jdmass

Thanks to this site, I able to avoid most of the hassles with activating my Roamio Pro with FIOS. I was upgrading from my Tivo Premiere, and it turned out that I had an 006 Mcard. So I brought to the Verizon store and swapped it for an 017. I installed the Roamio and deferred the cable card installation until all updates were installed. I tuned to 131, inserted the card and did the online activation. It activated everything except Channel 131 and the HBO channels. I opened a chat in the Verizon In-home Agent, and the agent asked me for all my activation info (cable ID, host ID, data ID). He did a manual reset (his words) -- I was tuned to 131 -- and as soon as he was said it was done, the channel came in. Checked HBO, as well as some other channels and everything was fine. About 15 minutes total time in chat.

One thing to note. Somewhere in this thread, there was mention of some values in the Condition Access menu in the Cablecard Menu. Specifically, the values:

Conn: Yes EBCP: Yes Val: V 0x00 - the comment was that for HBO to work, V should be non-zero. This is NOT true in my case. All of my channels are functioning and the value on my Tivo is still 0.
jdmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:35 AM   #70
NYHeel

How long does the cablecard activation process take online with Fios? I'm currently doing it and it's taking a while. Probably been at least 20 minutes so far. I just decided to move on and complete the rest of guided setup. I probably should have done that first anyway.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:32 AM   #71
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbertrand View Post
I received a replacement CableCard from FIOS; once it came I performed the on-line activation, and continued to have issues with HBO and Cinemax. Under conditional access in the CableCard menu, it showed:

Conn: Yes EBCP: Yes Val: V 0x00

My understanding is that Val: needs to be something other than 0x00 for HBO & Cinemax to work. Through Verizon's online chat, I asked a Verizon agent to send the "reload software" signal to the cable card. After a minute or two the Val: changed to 0x01 and I was able to tune to HBO. I encourage you to use the FiOS online chat option. So far HBO/Cinemax has worked with a -017 card; not with my -002 cards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmass View Post
...One thing to note. Somewhere in this thread, there was mention of some values in the Condition Access menu in the Cablecard Menu. Specifically, the values:

Conn: Yes EBCP: Yes Val: V 0x00 - the comment was that for HBO to work, V should be non-zero. This is NOT true in my case. All of my channels are functioning and the value on my Tivo is still 0.
I am in the same position as jdmass. My TiVo (premiere) shows the same value: Val: V 0x00 , and none of my channels are pixelated - including HBO, Cinemax, Showtime etc.

Does anyone know what the 0x00 or 0x01 values mean? Are there other possible numbers that could appear in this field?
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:52 AM   #72
pbubel

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX09MD View Post
Was that free to transfer season passes or did you purchase the software?
I just used TiVo.com which is free.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:53 AM   #73
pbubel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHeel View Post
How long does the cablecard activation process take online with Fios? I'm currently doing it and it's taking a while. Probably been at least 20 minutes so far. I just decided to move on and complete the rest of guided setup. I probably should have done that first anyway.
The pairing process if done correctly takes a minute or two. You on the phone with verizon or trying the web based system?
Old 09-09-2013, 12:35 PM   #74
NYHeel

Quote:
The pairing process if done correctly takes a minute or two. You on the phone with verizon or trying the web based system?
I tried the web which didn't work. After about 90 minutes I called the automated phone system and that worked right away. Of course that was activating only and not pairing. I later tried the online chat and the technician seemed to know what he/she was doing but alas after they tried the card still wasn't paired. They fed me that BS about having a pending order on my account until Monday and that I should try again then.

I want to see if I can find that letter they sent me about a year or two ago when they first started copy protecting HBO and Cinemax and cable cards had to be paired. It worked then when I used that automated phone system. Does anyone have a PDF of those instructions?
Old 09-09-2013, 02:55 PM   #75
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHeel View Post
I tried the web which didn't work. After about 90 minutes I called the automated phone system and that worked right away. Of course that was activating only and not pairing. I later tried the online chat and the technician seemed to know what he/she was doing but alas after they tried the card still wasn't paired. They fed me that BS about having a pending order on my account until Monday and that I should try again then.

I want to see if I can find that letter they sent me about a year or two ago when they first started copy protecting HBO and Cinemax and cable cards had to be paired. It worked then when I used that automated phone system. Does anyone have a PDF of those instructions?
Yes it worked initially(I used it several times) but I used the same process with my Roamio and pairing did not work this time.

Here is a link to the FiOS pdf for the cable card installation flyer they sent out.

http://www.verizon.com/cs/groups/pub...cable_d97e.pdf

Last edited by aaronwt : 09-09-2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:01 PM   #76
ciucca

I've had the same pixelation issue on my Roamio Pro. I had to get the new cable card XXX-017-000. It took 4 calls to FIOS tech support to first pair the XXXX-006 card to the Roamio box, total about 3.5 hours. Once the last tech got it paired. He said, you know this cable card is not compatible with HBO on the TIVO Roamio. Why didn't they tell me that right away. He then said I would be shipped the right version card in 2 days. 4 days go by no card, I call back, no one knows anything about shipping a new M card to me. WTF?? I am then told to go to the FIOS store near my house and exchange the card. I go there and the dolts know nothing about new version of MCARDS. I argued with him and his imbecile lying manager for an hour that the cards are different , if they have different part number. I even showed him the number on my card and the one the store had was different, but he insisted there was no difference. Finally he agrees to call some number they have to FIOS support and he argues with the person on the phone for a half hour. Finally someone must have told him to shut up and humor the idiot customer and give me the card. All told I was there an hour and a half. I'm now down 4 1/2 hours just to get my new Roamio Pro to work with Verizon.

Now I'm reading this thread and the pairing is not going to work through the net or on the automated phone system? My head is going to explode. I swear I think Verizon purposely hires morons to work in customer support. Not to be a conspiracy theorist, but I have to believe Verizon purposely makes activating cable cards on TIVOs frustrating on purpose , so the average non-geek will just give up and rent on of their POS overpriced DVR boxes.
ciucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:06 PM   #77
aaronwt
HD Addict

All I did was go to the FiOS store and say I wanted to get a cable card with the specific part number. The lady went into the back and came out in a couple of minutes with a cable card that matched the part number I wrote down for her.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:34 PM   #78
ciucca

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
All I did was go to the FiOS store and say I wanted to get a cable card with the specific part number. The lady went into the back and came out in a couple of minutes with a cable card that matched the part number I wrote down for her.
It is very possible the state you live in is not full of morons!

Anyway I just got home, activated online, pairing of course did not work. Tried live chat and the tech got it paired in 5 minutes. I am convinced the telephone tech support has a requirement that they hire only people with double digit IQs, if you know what I mean
ciucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:57 PM   #79
rsnaider

Has it been confirmed that only 017 cards work and not the 006 cards at this time? I will eventually get one but only have 006 cards right now.

TiVo Roamio Pro
TiVo Roamio Pro - WD 1TB Expander
TiVo Premier - WD 1TB Expander
TiVo Premier XL
TiVo Mini
rsnaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:46 PM   #80
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsnaider View Post
Has it been confirmed that only 017 cards work and not the 006 cards at this time? I will eventually get one but only have 006 cards right now.
My 002 cable cards couldn't be paired. Well at least the tech that dealt with it couldn't get them paired.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:45 PM   #81
JGC650I

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsnaider View Post
I had 006 cards and they paired ok (after a bit of back and forth with Verizon), but then had the pixelating issue with HBO/Cinemax and had to swap out for 017 cards to correct. If you don't have HBO/Cinemax, should be ok with 006 cards.
JGC650I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:49 PM   #82
rsnaider

Thanks for the quick replies as I have both HBO and Cinimax I will plan to swap out one of the cards then.

TiVo Roamio Pro
TiVo Roamio Pro - WD 1TB Expander
TiVo Premier - WD 1TB Expander
TiVo Premier XL
TiVo Mini
rsnaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:42 PM   #83
NYHeel

So I just got my cable card paired by online chat support. It took 2 tries as the first person couldn't do it Saturday night. I tried again today and it worked perfectly. Took about 15-20 minutes on chat tonight.

By the way, when I went to the store to pick up my new card (the 2 that I currently have are the 002 ones) the lady had no idea about different kinds of cable cards but just pulled one out of the box and it was the 017 one. Those must be the newest ones.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:44 PM   #84
NYHeel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciucca View Post
I've had the same pixelation issue on my Roamio Pro. I had to get the new cable card XXX-017-000. It took 4 calls to FIOS tech support to first pair the XXXX-006 card to the Roamio box, total about 3.5 hours. Once the last tech got it paired. He said, you know this cable card is not compatible with HBO on the TIVO Roamio. Why didn't they tell me that right away. He then said I would be shipped the right version card in 2 days. 4 days go by no card, I call back, no one knows anything about shipping a new M card to me. WTF?? I am then told to go to the FIOS store near my house and exchange the card. I go there and the dolts know nothing about new version of MCARDS. I argued with him and his imbecile lying manager for an hour that the cards are different , if they have different part number. I even showed him the number on my card and the one the store had was different, but he insisted there was no difference. Finally he agrees to call some number they have to FIOS support and he argues with the person on the phone for a half hour. Finally someone must have told him to shut up and humor the idiot customer and give me the card. All told I was there an hour and a half. I'm now down 4 1/2 hours just to get my new Roamio Pro to work with Verizon.

Now I'm reading this thread and the pairing is not going to work through the net or on the automated phone system? My head is going to explode. I swear I think Verizon purposely hires morons to work in customer support. Not to be a conspiracy theorist, but I have to believe Verizon purposely makes activating cable cards on TIVOs frustrating on purpose , so the average non-geek will just give up and rent on of their POS overpriced DVR boxes.
Why not just tell the store person that the card you have is defective and you need a new one? Why even bother getting into a whole song and dance with the guy. I usually find the minimum information necessary is most effective in these cases.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:37 PM   #85
aaronwt
HD Addict

What a PITA. I got a replacement ROamio PRo today and have been in chat with a CSR for one hour and fifteen minutes. He still can't get the card paired. What a royal PITA.

I t should not be this difficult to get the cable card paired.

With my other Romaio, once I got the 017 card, it got paired rather quickly. Unless there is something wrong with the card. But it was working fine in the old box.
And I get the other channels properly so it is activated.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:43 PM   #86
gsusser

Verizon's answer to TiVo problems is to send new cable cards. They avoid sending a tech out at any cost. That was my experience as documented in another thread. They ended up sending me 5 cards! It turned out the problem was that I wasn't getting enough signal strength. Perhaps it is the wiring in your house. The Roamio has greater power needs than its predecessors.
gsusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:52 PM   #87
aaronwt
HD Addict

My signal strength is between 88 and 95 on the channels I checked. The feed from the ONT goes to an 8 way splitter and then the coax goes 50 feet to the Roamio PRo.

They had me give them the ID info again. I typed in the same thing as before but now it magically worked. I'll bet they typed it in wrong before.

HBO and CInemax is coming in now. Now I need to get 591, 596, and 597 working since they screwed up the sports channels. I really don't need them but since it's supposed to be part of the Ultimate package I expect to get them. But I'll probably let it slide for now if they don't get it in a couple of minutes because I need to get to bed soon.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:54 PM   #88
Tivogre

After a 2+ hour ordeal last night with no success pairing my CC to my new Roamio Pro, I cane here to search.

I found this thread, leading me to go pick up the correct 017 model card from the Verizon store in Woodbridge, VA.

After another hour on the phone (something about having to wait until my order fully processed - they can push it through - ...), they finally got the new card paired.

I was able to verify all channels EXCEPT HBO.

They updated the card to reflect that I was an HBO subscriber, and "re-hit" the card.

Finally up and working.

This shouldn't be this hard after YEARS of Cable Card support.

It's clear that there is NO INTEREST in making the process easier.
Samsung 72", 56", 4 x 32" HDTV
Sony 40" HDTV
iRule + iTach Remotes
Tivogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #89
bradleys
It'll be fine....

That is exactly why you will never see Apple touch cable cards.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #90
sac84371
Lost In Space

I have the 514517-006-00 (MCPOD2) cable card and a Roamio Plus on its way. I don't subscribe to any premium channels so do I still need the 514517-017-00 (MCPOD3) Verizon cable card?
sac84371 is offline   Reply With Quote