TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.92 average.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:03 PM   #61
martinso

Correct hankinsohl, this is not completely isolated to Fox channels. So far I have 11 of these broken recordings. 10 are Fox shows and 1 is from Lifetime (LIFEPHD).

I was able to confirm a workaround suggested elsewhere: I downloaded a broken Bones recording to iPad and was able to watch in HD with working 30-sec skip, as well as jump back and forward. The recording played the entire show.
martinso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:23 PM   #62
TiVoMargret
VP of Design, TiVo

Ok, another question:

For the issue where sections of the show are being skipped when you fast-forward or rewind. Is this only happening in the first speed of fast-forward, or in all three speeds?

Thanks,
--Margret
TiVo Inc. *
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TiVoMargret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:07 PM   #63
Goober96

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
Ok, another question: For the issue where sections of the show are being skipped when you fast-forward or rewind. Is this only happening in the first speed of fast-forward, or in all three speeds? Thanks, --Margret
All 3 speeds for me. I can start 3x fast forwarding from the beginning and then it hits that "wall" at some point in the program and starts goofing up.
Goober96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:08 PM   #64
uw69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober96 View Post
All 3 speeds for me. I can start 3x fast forwarding from the beginning and then it hits that "wall" at some point in the program and starts goofing up.
Same here
1 Roamio plus 470 hours
3 TiVo Mini's
uw69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:15 PM   #65
fdisker2000

For me, I can only play just some of the commercials that are part of the recording and fwd/rwd through them. It is as if the main program is of a codec that the TiVo can not play. If I pull the show to my PC, I can play it fully with not problems.
fdisker2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:57 PM   #66
martinso

All speeds. I have noticed, as others have, that it shows commercials I am fast forwarding thru, but when it hits content it repeats the same frame(s) in a loop and the index mark stays in one place. Pressing Play after this jumps the index marker ahead a lot.
martinso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:10 PM   #67
V Funk

Just to pile on with my Roamio Plus. Another Seattle Comcast person here. All of my primetime FOX shows last night have this issue. I have a paired cable card and non-working On Demand.

Forced to watch commercials on the playback--after 10+ years of TiVo this is pretty rough!
V Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:01 PM   #68
garryj

Roamio Plus, Seattle area (Bellevue) & Comcast, Sleepy Hollow recorded 9/16 @ 9:00PM Fox channel 113.

Info banner shows the recording as 4 minutes, zero seconds, but the trickplay bar shows ~50 minutes of record time. Commercials play, but things go wonky as soon as show content starts.

Cablecard is paired properly and OnDemand works just fine -- in fact that was how I was able to view the Sleepy Hollow pilot tonight...

Edit:
After playing with the recording a bit:
I could get the show segment from 00:30:27 to 00:39:22 to play properly and was also able to 1x ff through it. However, when within this segment at normal or 1x speed, if any other trickplay button was pressed, the recording would either jump to the end of the recording, or loop back to the 00:30:27 mark.

Last edited by garryj : 09-18-2013 at 11:41 PM.
garryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:17 AM   #69
fdisker2000

Just as an experiment tonight, I recorded "The X Factor"(Fox KCPQHD13 Seattle) on my Roamio and on my Premiere XL in another room. The Roamio's recording is messed up(can only play a few commercials, not the show, says 5min. Partial) and the Premiere's recording is perfectly fine. The Roamio can even play the Premiere's recording(MRV). The Premiere plays the Roamio's recording the same messed up way the Roamio does.

Last edited by fdisker2000 : 09-19-2013 at 01:42 AM.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:52 AM   #70
jjfester

Same Problem also from Washington with Comcast

I am having the same problem with Fox shows. I am also a Comcast customer from Tacoma, Washington area.

I had the same problem with Bones. I can watch it all the way through, but if I try and fast forward or rewind it either gets stuck and wont do anything or will instantly go to a point in the middle of the recording. Pretty much what everyone else has been reporting only some others have explained it much better than me.

I also had the problem with New Girl (also Fox) where it showed only a partial recording of 2 minutes or so even though it was showing that it was recording during the whole episode.

I haven't watched my recordings of Sleepy Hollow or So You Think You Can Dance yet, but I do have them recorded and will check in the morning.

My CableCard is paired and On Demand works fine. I haven't tried the actual PPV shows, but the On Demand that streams the premium channel movies and television shows have been working fine.
jjfester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:18 AM   #71
uw69

For those who's Sleepy Hollow recording was unwatchable, Fox is rebroadcasting it on Friday 8/20. Record in HD if your adventurous or SD to be on the safe side. With 6 tuners I'm going for both!
1 Roamio plus 470 hours
3 TiVo Mini's
Old 09-19-2013, 09:27 AM   #72
BayouBoy32

Roamio Pro with same problem.

I am in the New Orleans area and use Cox Cable. Have the glitch so far only on Fox network shows, I.E., Bones, Sleep Hollow, New Girl, and worst of all Fox Sports that telecast Saints football. Local Fox shows and commercial work fine. Able to use non-HD Fox channels or my HD Tivo in the bedroom for any recordings. Have put attenutor on line as suggested by support but that has not helped. I can only put a 9db attenutor on the line or I loose other channels to no signal or pixilation.
Feel this is a software problem and hope it is fixed soon.
Dan
BayouBoy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:45 AM   #73
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdisker2000 View Post
For me, I can only play just some of the commercials that are part of the recording and fwd/rwd through them. It is as if the main program is of a codec that the TiVo can not play. If I pull the show to my PC, I can play it fully with not problems.
What you're seeing might be consistent with some timing data (Program Clock Reference?) being missing or stuck (not incrementing) in the main program sections of the transport stream but present during the commercials. TiVo seems to rely on proper timing information for some functions. I've seen this with OTA broadcasts from a local translator (re-transmitter) for one of our PBS stations when a piece of equipment which inserts new PSIP data goes wonky.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:04 AM   #74
fdisker2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
What you're seeing might be consistent with some timing data (Program Clock Reference?) being missing or stuck (not incrementing) in the main program sections of the transport stream but present during the commercials. TiVo seems to rely on proper timing information for some functions. I've seen this with OTA broadcasts from a local translator (re-transmitter) for one of our PBS stations when a piece of equipment which inserts new PSIP data goes wonky.
That makes sense except:how come I don't have this problem with the same programming on my Premieres?
I can also play the effected shows on my Roamio that were recorded on my Premieres.
There just seems to be a hardware or software difference between the Premiere and Roamio that is causing this problem, it's strange because I thought the software was essentially the same, just updated for the new hardware.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:22 AM   #75
L David Matheny

Quote:
That makes sense except: how come I don't have this problem with the same programming on my Premieres?
I can also play the effected shows on my Roamio that were recorded on my Premieres.
There just seems to be a hardware or software difference between the Premiere and Roamio that is causing this problem, it's strange because I thought the software was essentially the same, just updated for the new hardware.
That's a good question. The problems I saw involved OTA broadcasts on a Premiere and also (as I recall) on a TiVo HD. Do you mean that you don't see the problem when you stream those same programs recorded on a Premiere to the Roamio? Or have you determined that the same troublesome programs record and play back fine on the Premiere but fail when recorded and played back on the Roamio?
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:39 AM   #76
fdisker2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
That's a good question. The problems I saw involved OTA broadcasts on a Premiere and also (as I recall) on a TiVo HD. Do you mean that you don't see the problem when you stream those same programs recorded on a Premiere to the Roamio? Or have you determined that the same troublesome programs record and play back fine on the Premiere but fail when recorded and played back on the Roamio?
Both, I can also pull the Roamio effected recordings using kmttg onto my PC and they play fine on my PC. So, I believe, the Roamio records it fine but has a problem when playing it back. That is why I believe it's an encoding problem. The shows have two different codecs involved; hence only part of the recording being able to be played back on the Roamio and the Roamio's handling of the encoding. Also, trick-play is effected because it is essentially recording. There is a hardware or software difference between the Premieres and the Roamios that is causing this problem.
I could be totally off base on this. I am not very knowledgeable in the are of video encoding.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:54 PM   #77
Cleo256

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
Ok, another question:

For the issue where sections of the show are being skipped when you fast-forward or rewind. Is this only happening in the first speed of fast-forward, or in all three speeds?

Thanks,
--Margret
As others have said, it seems to happen at all speeds, fast-forward, rewind, or even play. It's like there's a big section of the show just missing. Notably, when I look at the recording in the menu, the TiVo reports that the recording time is less than expected. 2 minutes and 10 seconds for New Girl, for example. It labels it "partial", even though I did nothing to interrupt it.

I'm not sure I noticed a positive correlation to commercials specifically. It's not as if I have a perfect recording of all commercials and zero show.

In particular, the very first Masterchef episode that I saw this behavior with, the first 20 minutes were completely missing. Then I was able to watch one segment of the show about 20 minutes in. The next skipped section began during one commercial break and ended during another. The experience was that I finished one segment, FF-ed through the commercials, and came back to another segment, but realized that I had missed an entire segment of the show.

I'll also add that I haven't seen this issue on any other channels. I've recorded several episodes of Project Runway on Lifetime HD and haven't had a problem. The Daily Show and Colbert from Comedy Central HD play flawlessly. Top Chef Masters on Bravo HD. The problem is only on Fox for me. I've started recording some miscellaneous shows just to see if I can figure out other networks that could have an issue.

Last edited by Cleo256 : 09-19-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Cleo256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:02 PM   #78
mrizzo80

If anyone is a member over at AVSForum, you may want to PM this guy. He may be able to help.

http://www.avsforum.com/u/34898/foxeng

I would summarize the issue and give him specific markets this is occurring in. I think Fox has some sort of advanced splicing system that allows local affiliates to tweak the feed between when they get it off the satellite but before they send it out locally. Maybe all networks have that capability...but I think Fox's may be different and/or more advanced. Maybe these markets are rolling out new software or something?
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:46 PM   #79
fdisker2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrizzo80 View Post
If anyone is a member over at AVSForum, you may want to PM this guy. He may be able to help.

http://www.avsforum.com/u/34898/foxeng

I would summarize the issue and give him specific markets this is occurring in. I think Fox has some sort of advanced splicing system that allows local affiliates to tweak the feed between when they get it off the satellite but before they send it out locally. Maybe all networks have that capability...but I think Fox's may be different and/or more advanced. Maybe these markets are rolling out new software or something?
I believe all markets and affiliates have this capability. That's how local commercials, promos (commercials for local news,etc) get added to the national/regional feed. Even some cable channels (Discovery, History, etc.) have local commercials added.
The thing is; my two Premieres don't have this problem, only my Roamio Pro.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:36 PM   #80
rainwater

Quote:
The thing is; my two Premieres don't have this problem, only my Roamio Pro.
The Premiere's have completely different tuners so it isn't surprising.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:48 PM   #81
fdisker2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
The Premiere's have completely different tuners so it isn't surprising.
If the tuners were a problem I think it wouldn't be able to display the channels. The Roamio doesn't even have a problem recording the channels (I can play them fully and completely on my PC) it just has trouble playing the recording and buffer. It think it's different hardware handling the decoding of the recording.
Hopefully it's a software problem, not hardware.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:05 AM   #82
zend

Also in Seattle on Comcast. Experiencing the same issues with a Roamio Pro when attempting to record Fox shows. Margret - I sent you my TSN and answers to your questions over email.
zend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:10 AM   #83
fdisker2000

Just an observation from watching the recording of Fox shows Dads and Brooklyn Nine-Nine tonight: The green status bar didn't move until it got to the third commercial break. It then jumped to 21mins and continued until the end of the commercial break, then stopped again.
The commercials during this break, were definitely only local commercials.
I hope TiVoMargret is still following this thread.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:44 PM   #84
jjfester

Should we still use the 911 clear?

Should we still be trying the 911 clear etc or has that been ruled out as a fix?

Also should we still be emailing if we are having these problems or have there been enough people emailing to have it documented and researched?
jjfester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:02 PM   #85
socrplyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfester View Post
Should we still be trying the 911 clear etc or has that been ruled out as a fix?

Also should we still be emailing if we are having these problems or have there been enough people emailing to have it documented and researched?
911clear just marks the log where you were having a problem. Then you need to work with Tivo, so they know what they are looking at there.
I am not positive what 777clear does. I know it has been used for issues playing back recordings (but not general dvr issues). I don't know if it just marks the log or if it actually changes anything.
The connections to Tivo afterward sends the logs to them for review.
socrplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:10 PM   #86
fdisker2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfester View Post

Last thing I heard, TiVo was sending a tech to an effected user's home on the west coast yesterday or today. I volunteered, but my home is not convenient.

Last edited by fdisker2000 : 09-20-2013 at 10:44 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:16 PM   #87
BayouBoy32

Tivo Tech Support?

Calling Tivo support is a waste of time. I have called 3 times and each time get different tech that gives me different run-around. 1st said I needed attenuator because signal to high. Did that and it did not help. Called back and next tech just advised me of Desktop app that I could transfer files from HD Tivo. The last tech I spoke with ran me though some checks of the cable card and said it was not authorized correctly and to call Cox Cable. Called Cox and they checked everything and repaired the card and said it was working and set up correctly. I compared the setting with the HD Tivo and the setting are the same. All channels work correctly on the Roamio Pro except for Fox. All channels on the HD work correctly including Fox. All of the techs all said they have never heard of this problem and had no reports about this problem. I am going to wait and call back on Monday, after I cool down some and ask to speck to a supervisor. Not sure if they can or will help but getting fed up. I have until 27th of this month on my 30 day return. I really like the Roamio not sure if I would return for this problem.
Dan
BayouBoy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:26 PM   #88
JDoc208

Unable to fast forward/rewind some channels

I am having a similar problem (although not exact) to what others have posted. I just upgraded from a Premiere XL to the Roamio Plus. I kept the same cablecard. My issue occurs on Fox Sports Midwest (channel 824) and the Big Ten Network (822); however, I am NOT having an issue with Fox (702). The channels play and record normally. When not live, I can fast forward at 1x speed normally where I can see what I'm fast forwarding through. But when I try to fast forward at 2x/3x or rewind on 1x/2x/3x speeds, the picture freezes. If I fast forward on 3x speed for 30 seconds and then press play, the picture then jumps ahead to the point in the show as if I had been fast forwarding on 1x speed. Likewise, if I rewind on 3x speed for 30 seconds, the picture will again freeze and then once I press play, it will jump ahead to the point in the show as if I had been rewinding on 1x speed. The problem occurs whether I'm watching the channels on live TV or watching a previous recording on those channels. The problem also occurs on my Mini. The "rewind 8 seconds" button and "fast forward 30 seconds" buttons work normally. When I called Tivo, they said my signal was "too strong." I put different attenuators on the line, which lowered the signal strength and SNR but didn't change the original problem. Tivo then blamed the problem on my cable company (Charter) and said I had "poor quality" of signal. Charter wanted to switch out cablecards. I picked up 3 cablecards but none of them worked at all, so I have a tech coming out tomorrow.

Any advice?
JDoc208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:50 PM   #89
fdisker2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoc208 View Post
I am having a similar problem (although not exact) to what others have posted. I just upgraded from a Premiere XL to the Roamio Plus. I kept the same cablecard. My issue occurs on Fox Sports Midwest (channel 824) and the Big Ten Network (822); however, I am NOT having an issue with Fox (702). The channels play and record normally. When not live, I can fast forward at 1x speed normally where I can see what I'm fast forwarding through. But when I try to fast forward at 2x/3x or rewind on 1x/2x/3x speeds, the picture freezes. If I fast forward on 3x speed for 30 seconds and then press play, the picture then jumps ahead to the point in the show as if I had been fast forwarding on 1x speed. Likewise, if I rewind on 3x speed for 30 seconds, the picture will again freeze and then once I press play, it will jump ahead to the point in the show as if I had been rewinding on 1x speed. The problem occurs whether I'm watching the channels on live TV or watching a previous recording on those channels. The problem also occurs on my Mini. The "rewind 8 seconds" button and "fast forward 30 seconds" buttons work normally. When I called Tivo, they said my signal was "too strong." I put different attenuators on the line, which lowered the signal strength and SNR but didn't change the original problem. Tivo then blamed the problem on my cable company (Charter) and said I had "poor quality" of signal. Charter wanted to switch out cablecards. I picked up 3 cablecards but none of them worked at all, so I have a tech coming out tomorrow.

Any advice?
Yeah, wait for a fix from TiVo.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:02 PM   #90
uw69

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBoy32 View Post
Calling Tivo support is a waste of time. I have called 3 times and each time get different tech that gives me different run-around. 1st said I needed attenuator because signal to high. Did that and it did not help. Called back and next tech just advised me of Desktop app that I could transfer files from HD Tivo. The last tech I spoke with ran me though some checks of the cable card and said it was not authorized correctly and to call Cox Cable. Called Cox and they checked everything and repaired the card and said it was working and set up correctly. I compared the setting with the HD Tivo and the setting are the same. All channels work correctly on the Roamio Pro except for Fox. All channels on the HD work correctly including Fox. All of the techs all said they have never heard of this problem and had no reports about this problem. I am going to wait and call back on Monday, after I cool down some and ask to speck to a supervisor. Not sure if they can or will help but getting fed up. I have until 27th of this month on my 30 day return. I really like the Roamio not sure if I would return for this problem.
Dan
Frustrating for sure but Tivo is actively working this issue. I have the same issue and have been recording FOX show in SD and they seem to be fine.
1 Roamio plus 470 hours
3 TiVo Mini's