TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-18-2013, 06:16 AM   #1
dkraft

Explain this bug

I have a Roamio set to use only 4 tuners due to the Cisco Cable Card firmware version not being current. Although originally Romaio recorded on all 6 tuners but when TiVo explained without the cable card firmware update the recordings could be random on the two extra tuners I disabled 2 tuners.

I have had issues with random tuners out of the 4 tuners not receiving signal. This is the same issue I have on my Premier XL4.

Last night I set the Roamio to record Dads, Brooklyn Nine and New Girl. All programs were on Fox and in order. Dads was a full recording. Brooklyn Nine was not recorded due to no signal, TiVo history gave me that information. New Girl was a full recording.

Very hard to believe this is a cable card problem or a cable company problem.
dkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:30 AM   #2
socrplyr

I could be wrong but I thought back to back recordings on the same channel were typically not made with the same tuner. (It switches.) It could be a bad tuner for you, except that you say you had the same/similar problem on your XL4. Have you tried amplifying your signal (typically done at the earliest point you can before any splits - although I try to split off the cable modem first).
Josh
socrplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:37 AM   #3
dkraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrplyr View Post
I could be wrong but I thought back to back recordings on the same channel were typically not made with the same tuner. (It switches.) It could be a bad tuner for you, except that you say you had the same/similar problem on your XL4. Have you tried amplifying your signal (typically done at the earliest point you can before any splits - although I try to split off the cable modem first).
Josh
Thanks for you help. I have went down the "it is your signal" road. I took a poll here on TiVo Community and 35% percent of those polled are having tuning issues with the Roamio. http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...t=Tuning+issue

I also posted a poll in the Premier forum and their percentage is higher.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:33 AM   #4
zundian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkraft View Post
Last night I set the Roamio to record Dads, Brooklyn Nine and New Girl. All programs were on Fox and in order. Dads was a full recording. Brooklyn Nine was not recorded due to no signal, TiVo history gave me that information. New Girl was a full recording.
Your Roamio needed a time out to recover from the awfulness of "Dads"
zundian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:40 AM   #5
nyjklein
J-E-T-S JetsJetsJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkraft View Post
Thanks for you help. I have went down the "it is your signal" road. I took a poll here on TiVo Community and 35% percent of those polled are having tuning issues with the Roamio. http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...t=Tuning+issue

I also posted a poll in the Premier forum and their percentage is higher.
But your poll didn't ask whether limiting the number of tuners to 4 or 5 resolved the tuning issues. I think if you had asked that, the percentage of people having tuning issues outside the acknowledged issues with cablecard firmware on the extra tuners would have dropped significantly. So your 35% number is a distortion of the facts.

Jeff
nyjklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:28 PM   #6
dkraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyjklein View Post
But your poll didn't ask whether limiting the number of tuners to 4 or 5 resolved the tuning issues. I think if you had asked that, the percentage of people having tuning issues outside the acknowledged issues with cablecard firmware on the extra tuners would have dropped significantly. So your 35% number is a distortion of the facts.

Jeff
There are multiple reasons Roamio tuners do not work. There is no way to create a poll to cover everything. The point of the poll was out of those that voted, 35% of Roamio owners have a product that does not work as advertised. That is a serious problem. No one hates the cable companies more than I. Tuning issues are also wide spread with Premier owners, myself included.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:26 PM   #7
dkraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by zundian View Post
Your Roamio needed a time out to recover from the awfulness of "Dads"
My thoughts exactly! No season pass for Dads will be setup!