TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:17 AM   #511
Goober96

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Yes it can, if you supply your tivo.com login and password in kmttg config.
Thanks. I didn't have that info in there when I used it. Didn't realize you wrote it either. It's a great tool. Thanks for that.
Goober96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:22 AM   #512
aaronwt
HD Addict

So is there a newer version of kmttg? The one I have I installed in May 2010. It works with my Roamio but I wonder if there have been some new features added.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:15 PM   #513
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
So is there a newer version of kmttg? The one I have I installed in May 2010. It works with my Roamio but I wonder if there have been some new features added.
There's a ton of new features compared to the ancient version you have installed. Click on link in my sig to get to latest version. Once you have latest version installed you can update to newest version from Help menu.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:03 PM   #514
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post

The digital picture is the digital picture. Unless scaling/smoothing/etc is involved it shouldn't matter what device is being used to spit the digital signal to the TV. The codecs for HDTV are well known and pretty much the same everywhere.

And there is essentially no difference in picture quality on DVD/Bluray players, except for upscaling on DVD (Bluray has no need for upscaling or smoothing). The difference you are paying for is quality of the hardware (longevity, reliability), and features.
Not true in the real world that I have tested, seen, sold, installed and calibrated on numerous occasions and also PROVEN here in two different benchmarks:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/secre...roduction.html

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/secre...follow-up.html

Plus we are talking TiVo here, and my reply was responding to the poster asking about image quality differences, so in this case you have to factor in QAM demodulation quality which can have noise, timing errors, etc based on the quality of the hardware used in each one.

Quote:
The HDMI on the TiVO is digital only. And that is what we are talking about.
Uhhhh, I AM talking about that genius.. I'm talking about the fact that hdmi carries rgbhv and YCbCr DIGITAL signals and how those formats aren't relegated to analog only, as insinuated by a poster earlier.

Do people even read and contextualize before they spout their so called "knowledge" all over the digital universe?
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:05 PM   #515
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

I suppose -- for nonsense. I'd like to think it was just a typo but I don't think so.

By the way, Oppo (I have two) picks from the same pool of decoders/HDMI parts everyone else does.
I hope you're not talking and referring to my posts? See above for more "NONSENSE" if you'd like.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:45 PM   #516
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Not true in the real world that I have tested, seen, sold, installed and calibrated on numerous occasions[...]
[good info deleted] was not aware of the multiple digital output formats.

Quote:
Uhhhh, I AM talking about that genius.. [...] Do people even read and contextualize before they spout their so called "knowledge" all over the digital universe?
You don't have to be an arrogant a*****e about it with personal attacks.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:07 PM   #517
HarperVision

Sorry but I already explained in previous posts and people just come on these forums and say whatever they "think" is going on and spreading false rumors that lead to "Best Buy Sales Agent" syndrome, where the only one that loses is the consumer. I'd like to think I earned my knowledge with over 25 years in the industry. I didn't deserve the condescending tone when I was trying to clear up misconceptions in previous posts.

I apologize for calling you a genius.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:13 PM   #518
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPa View Post

I should have a bit more specific.

For OTA, are you guys seeing any difference between the S3 and the Roamio basic?

Although it's all digital, you have the sensitivity and selectivity of the incoming signal as well as how the signal is massaged into RGB or component.

I'm pretty sure that I'm going to at least try the Roamio. The 4 OTA tuners is something I've wanted for a long time.

Sure wish they'd offer it on the step up models.
^^^^^THIS^^^^^^
Old 09-15-2013, 08:20 PM   #519
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPa
I should have a bit more specific.

For OTA, are you guys seeing any difference between the S3 and the Roamio basic?

Although it's all digital, you have the sensitivity and selectivity of the incoming signal
Quote:

That is not picture or sound quality, that is signal quality or reception quality. If you have a good signal, it will look and sound the same. If you are using digital, it will always look/sound the same, that is the whole point of digital (with the exception of up/downscaling). HDMI, DVI, and optical TOSLINK are all digital.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPa
...as well as how the signal is massaged into RGB or component..
Quote:
Very few people use analog connections, but that is a valid concern if you use those, still. Thank goodness the TiVo still has analog. In any case, I doubt there would be much difference there, either.
And ^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^
Old 09-15-2013, 09:07 PM   #520
jmpage2

Great article Harper. I have bitten my lip a bit about this because i did not want to take the thread off the rails or start a pissing match. The bottom line is that the idea that "because it is digital" everything is identical does not hold water. My perception has been that color decoding (over HDMI) is slightly different between XL4 and Roamio but without test data it is just a meaningless observation.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:10 PM   #521
russg
UID=0

Wow, its been a long time since I posted here. I moved from 2 series one and 1 series two Directivos to a Roamio Plus and Tivo Mini on FiOS. I don't know that I am in a good position to rate the Roamio because I've missed a lot.

I really like this and I'm still exploring. I have all of my systems on gig-e copper and the mini just rocks. The Roamio has more features than I can get used to so far and I'm really digging Kmttg. I bought em with lifetime subs but I can already see I may be having to drop a 3GB drive in the plus pretty soon. Not having HD before wasn't a big deal to me but since I have it now I'm using it and boy it eats some storage.

Well, that's it for an old timer back after a long happy time with some very old Tivos.
russg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:04 AM   #522
aaronwt
HD Addict

I finally turned in my second to last cable card. Now I'm finally down to only one cable card(And just at the right time too since FiOS is increasing cable card prices to $5 a month). At one point I had eight cable cards with FiOS along with two on Comcast. So I've been looking forward to this day for a while.

The only bad thing is that now I am completely reliant on my Roamio Pro for recordings. Although I do have a two tuner Premiere for OTA only but I don't have any SPs setup on it.

So far my Roamio Pro has worked great. So hopefully it continues to run for many years like all my previous TiVos have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
There's a ton of new features compared to the ancient version you have installed. Click on link in my sig to get to latest version. Once you have latest version installed you can update to newest version from Help menu.

Do I need to uninstall the old version first, or can this newer version install over top of the old one?
Old 09-16-2013, 09:17 AM   #523
moyekj

Quote:
Do I need to uninstall the old version first, or can this newer version install over top of the old one?
You can just unzip over the previous one and override older files.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:10 PM   #524
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Great article Harper. I have bitten my lip a bit about this because i did not want to take the thread off the rails or start a pissing match. The bottom line is that the idea that "because it is digital" everything is identical does not hold water. My perception has been that color decoding (over HDMI) is slightly different between XL4 and Roamio but without test data it is just a meaningless observation.
Thanks jmpage. Sometimes I think people think that electronic devices are just a big box with one board in it with one big IC Chip on it and if that happens to be the same chip as something else, then they must work exactly the same! Do they not realize that there are literally TONS of extraneous supporting ICs and components that work in conjunction with the main processing chips, and they ALL can effect outcome, not to mention the quality of the manufacturing, the connections, traces, wires etc and the software and firmware to run said chips!
Old 09-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #525
evanborkow

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Kevin J. Moye, AKA moyekj.

KMTTG = Kevin Moye's TiVo-To-Go
for moyekj and wmcbrine!
evanborkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:05 PM   #526
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanborkow View Post
for moyekj and wmcbrine!
Absolutely... and most especially for supporting Linux compatible software
Old 09-18-2013, 08:04 AM   #527
aaronwt
HD Addict

Angry

Well this sucks. I went to look at TV from one of my Minis and it didn't have a connection to the Roamio. I had made a change last night to switch the DHCP lease time from 3600 seconds to 36000 seconds so at first I thought maybe I was having some network issue. But then I checked the Roamio Pro and it was on the start screen.

So I unplug it and plug it back in and the same screen pops up and the drive is making some funky noises. So I've tried a couple of times with the same result.

So my Roamio Pro is dead. And I guess all the recordings I had on it(it was 67% full last night) are gone. I wonder if there was an issue with the hard drive when it reached a certain sector? Anyway I'm going to have to exchange it at BestBuy this morning. I'm transferring my SPs to my Elite right now.

It's still within the 60 day return period at BestBuy(or is it 45 now?) and within the 30 day period for Lifetime. So I'll have them give me a credit and buy a new one and start over from scratch.

EDIT: At least the SP transfers show up in less than a minute so I'm glad transferring SPs are so easy now.

Last edited by aaronwt : 09-18-2013 at 08:16 AM.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:40 AM   #528
uw69

That is very unfortunate. Glad your still within the return window.
1 Roamio plus 470 hours
3 TiVo Mini's
uw69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:43 AM   #529
markp99
TakoKichi

Quote:
So far my Roamio Pro has worked great. So hopefully it continues to run for many years like all my previous TiVos have.
Missed it by >< that much! Sorry to hear you;re having issues. Any HD upgrades in there?
markp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:13 AM   #530
DaveDFW

Quote:
So my Roamio Pro is dead. And I guess all the recordings I had on it(it was 67% full last night) are gone. I wonder if there was an issue with the hard drive when it reached a certain sector?
As long as the drive isn't totally dead, you could try to dd_rescue the failed drive to a new drive to preserve as much as possible. Though with 3tb, that's a long recovery process.
DaveDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:59 AM   #531
aaronwt
HD Addict

So I'm here at Bestbuy and it boots up. I tried it several times at home and even tried it at a different location and it stayed stuck on the startup screen.

Trying to get triple points on the new purchase since they made it difficult to get a plus.

Last edited by aaronwt : 09-18-2013 at 10:20 AM.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:04 PM   #532
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp99 View Post
Missed it by >< that much! Sorry to hear you;re having issues. Any HD upgrades in there?
I really must have jinxed myself when I said my Pro was working great.

I was thinking about getting a plus but for me to keep the 3 yeras no interest I would have had to get a gift card that could only be used at magnolia. Then I thought about getting a Plus and a basic but Magnolia doesn't sell the basic. The regular BestBuy sells them.

So I just ended up getting another Pro and hopefully I'll be able to get my triple reward points from the Birthday coupon I had.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:03 PM   #533
jmbissell

Some Usability Issues on Roamio

I'm coming from a TiVo HD and have had my Roamio for about two weeks. The menus all seem fine to me except for the learning curve of where things are that have moved or been renamed. A few questions/comments:

1) The 30-sec skip function on the HD does a true skip. On the Roamio it basically does a 30-sec fast forward, showing the 30-secs of skipped program at high speed. Personally, I prefer just skipping the commercial, not seeing it at all. Is there a way to get this behavior back?

2) The Record by Time, Record by Channel, and Manual Recording all now have a bright yellow background on the selections. In two cases the text is in white, making it very hard to see the selection. The other (I believe Manual Recording) has black on yellow which is at least visible.

3) The ability to list all of the webcasts seems to be gone. I can search for a known webcast (e.g. Tekzilla) but the only place I see a list of all the available webcasts is on the TiVo site. Am I missing something somewhere?

Several folks with TiVo HDs have commented on how much faster the Roamio interface is. While I'm sure it's much better than the Series 4/Premieres, which I have never seen, I don't find the Roamio to be nearly as responsive as the HD.

I bought the Roamio for the four tuners (didn't need 6) but I really don't see much else to get excited about over the HD. And the HD came with a manual, which was also useful.

BTW, I had no trouble using the website to copy my SPs over to the Roamio. And I was able to easily transfer the shows that were already recorded on the HD to the Roamio directly. If only I hadn't had to spend three hours over 2 days w/ Charter to get the cable card working.
jmbissell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:28 PM   #534
markp99
TakoKichi

1 - You can recover 30-sec skip by hitting - "Select-Play-Select-3-0-Select" on your remote while playing back a recording. It's a toggle, but is now retained after a reboot.

2 - This issue has been reported. Marget said will be addressed in next update

3 - You can search for your favorite webcasts right in the Find TV > Search utility. Results from all sources are merged together. Tekzilla is in there! You can manage your download season passes from Manage Recordings > Download Manager

4 - You should see a very NOTICEABLE performance boost with your new Roamio. I did, even from my Premier XL4!

Good luck!

Last edited by markp99 : 09-18-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:29 PM   #535
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
1 - You can recover 30-sce skip by hitting - "Select-Play-Select-3-0-Select on your remote

3 - You can search for your favorite webcasts right in the Find TV > Search. results from all sources are merged together. Tekzilla is in there!

4 - You see a very NOTICEABLE performance boost with your new Roamio.
3 - I think he knows that, but wants a full list of all webcasts in a menu.
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:34 PM   #536
jmbissell

Quote:
1 - You can recover 30-sec skip by hitting - "Select-Play-Select-3-0-Select on your remote while playing back a recording

3 - You can search for your favorite webcasts right in the Find TV > Search. results from all sources are merged together. Tekzilla is in there!

4 - You see a very NOTICEABLE performance boost with your new Roamio.
1) Thanks, I was going to try it but didn't want to screw anything up.

2) Good to know. How does this stuff make it past any kind of UI testing?

3) I really wanted to be able to browse rather than have to search. I've found lots of new stuff that way on the HD./ Looks like the website is the only way to browse now.
I did find Tekzilla via Search but it is showing the latest program as 2/14/13! It did not show any new episodes past that though my HD is still faithfully recording new Tekzillas twice a week. Ditto for the website, if you don't get a 404 error. HD Nation has completely disappeared from the website. Again, the SP for it on the TiVo HD is working fine.
I have reported this to both Revision3 and TiVo.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #537
markp99
TakoKichi

3 - Try "FindTV > WebVideo Hotlist" (at the end of the list), via Launchpad. There is a pretty exhaustive list of webcasts there!

But, you cannot setup a download season pass from there...

Last edited by markp99 : 09-18-2013 at 04:45 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:58 PM   #538
mike1273

Just to let newcomers know that success can happen. My Plus arrived yesterday. Usual issue pairing with the Motorola card from my Ceton unit with Suddenlink.

Plus started easily. Put in 30 second FF. OK.

Recorded six stations at once, played them back.

The Plus has no pixelation, just performs!

Fast scan through the guide.

But much, much slower channel scans than my HDHHomeRunPlus units via Media Center.

Great streaming to iPad.

Mikeg26
mike1273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:03 PM   #539
jmbissell

Quote:
3 - Try "FindTV > WebVideo Hotlist" (at the end of the list), via Launchpad. There is a pretty exhaustive list of webcasts there!

But, you cannot setup a download season pass from there...
Not sure why the ability to browse & then schedule was removed. Maybe that happened in the Premiere line and isn't new to Roamio.

I tried the old Skip setup and it still shows what it is skipping over rather than just moving ahead 30 seconds.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:53 PM   #540
aaronwt
HD Addict

I'm still in the guided setup process with my replacement Roamio Pro. But at least the RF remote has the same excellent range as my first one did.

I still wonder why the other Pro crapped out right after it had filled up 2TB of the 3TB of available storage. Although I do wish I would have been able to get the Plus or the Plus and the basic version. But I wanted to keep the three years no interest financing. If I would have been able to use the Magnolia gift card in the entire BestBuy store I wouldn't have had a problem.