TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:01 AM   #1
warner

Unable to hook up 2nd mini to Roamio

Is anyone having issues hooking up a 2nd mini to a Roamio Plus. I keep getting a V70 error and cannot complete the Guided Setup. Only option i have is to Retry or unplug the power cord and go thru the setup again. I've read some of the other threads here and have tried just about everything that has been suggested except setting up Moca. I've rebooted everything multiple times, renamed Roamio and forced connections. The 1st mini purchased thru Amazon worked right out of the box. No issues there except for using the Trendnet 8 port greenNet switch as posted in another thread. Then I purchased a 2nd mini from Best Buy (open box one). After contacting Tivo, they determined it was a defective unit. So returned it and got a new one from Best Buy yesterday. Called Tivo to transfer the service to the new mini. And again after multiple rebooting, renaming, forced connections, I'm still getting the same v70 error. I'll need to call Tivo again to escalate this issue. It seems very unlikely that I would have 2 defective units in a row.
warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:10 AM   #2
jdmass

I'm using a Roamio Pro with 2 Minis - no problems with setup here.
jdmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:13 AM   #3
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic

Not sure what's up with your setup, but I'm running 4 Minis without a problem.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:45 AM   #4
wildcattdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by warner View Post
Is anyone having issues hooking up a 2nd mini to a Roamio Plus. I keep getting a V70 error and cannot complete the Guided Setup. Only option i have is to Retry or unplug the power cord and go thru the setup again. I've read some of the other threads here and have tried just about everything that has been suggested except setting up Moca. I've rebooted everything multiple times, renamed Roamio and forced connections. The 1st mini purchased thru Amazon worked right out of the box. No issues there except for using the Trendnet 8 port greenNet switch as posted in another thread. Then I purchased a 2nd mini from Best Buy (open box one). After contacting Tivo, they determined it was a defective unit. So returned it and got a new one from Best Buy yesterday. Called Tivo to transfer the service to the new mini. And again after multiple rebooting, renaming, forced connections, I'm still getting the same v70 error. I'll need to call Tivo again to escalate this issue. It seems very unlikely that I would have 2 defective units in a row.
Yep, just completed my third Support contact (one call and two chats). The gentleman that helped me said he engaged a supervisor and they have been having problems with the Minis taking longer than expected to get the MAK. He suggested trying the setup every few hours and giving it another 24. I got my second Mini Friday afternoon, so today is two days. We'll see if it works.

I love the Roamio though.

T
wildcattdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:25 AM   #5
NJguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by warner View Post
I had problem with my 2nd mini also. Made one call to tech support and the guy was useless. I was on the "Tivo DVR Not Found" screen and he couldn't help me because the Mini was not connected to the same router as the Roamio. My house is pretty well hard wired but I have a few bridges throughout the house. So my current Mini is set up from this way: Router goes to a bridge. That bridge then connects to my 2nd bridge which is where my Mini#1 is set up. I bought another mini and hooked up to the first bridge (the one that passes through to my 2nd bridge with a mini working fine) and couldn't get a connection. Again, guy didn't want to help me at all.

So, I connected via MoCa and it still wasn't working. I called tech support again and got Dustin (I think that was his name) and he was outstanding. Spent 40 minutes working through this problem with me and when we finally got the Moca working he wasn't satisfied with that because he felt it should work fine through ethernet and felt it was a better connection than Moca.

So the long and short of this is, if you have a cable wire in the room of your mini set up as moca first (love that it's built into the Roamio). Once you have that set up you can get into the settings menu and switch to ethernet (which is what he helped me with) and all is fine. You may have to call tech support though to get them to work through it with you. Hopefully you don't get the first guy that I dealt with.
NJguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:58 PM   #6
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmedic View Post
Not sure what's up with your setup, but I'm running 4 Minis without a problem.
I set up a system (at a friends home) with 5 Minis and a Roamio Plus, no problems.

Old 09-15-2013, 02:52 PM   #7
hopefulboydy

Im having the exact same problem but in my case its with the 3rd MINI.
The first 2 worked great and installed as expected.
This time, its been a nightmare. After 3 calls with Tivo support they suggested getting a new mini. After transferring the service to the new mini .... the exact same issue. It doesn't see any compatible TiVo on my network. I have a Roamio ... but I don't know anything about MOCA and what Ive seen on tivos website doesnt explain the connections very well.
Each of my rooms has cable from the room to the splitter in the garage which then goes off to Comcast. I already have the roam connected to the cable network but I don't think its as easy as connecting the mini to the cable outlet. ... is it? Do I need some sort of cable switch ?
I want to try Moca to rule out that its my Ethernet network but if I need to buy something, then I cant do that today.
thanks, hopefulboydy
hopefulboydy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:21 PM   #8
hopefulboydy

So setting up Moca was as simple as connecting the mini to my coax outlet, enabling moca in my roamio plus and selecting moca in the guided setup after a restart of the mini.
Now the bad news ... my problem is not a networking issue as I get the exact same v70 error screen.
I hope its the MAK issue already mentioned as this is getting very very annoying.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:03 PM   #9
hopefulboydy

So just got off the phone with Tivo for the 5th time.
The person I spoke to said that he checked and it seems this issue has been reported numerous times now, enough to make it be caught in their "trend-tracker".... and they are now going to investigate a potential issue on their end.....whatever than means.
I will try again in 24hrs and see if the issue is resolved.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:13 PM   #10
warner

Thanks for the update, Hopefulboydy. I'm close to giving up on this. This Mini is going into my Fitness Room so which means I probably won't even use it that much anyway . It just shouldn't be this difficult and frustrating. Well, as long as my Roamio and Mini #1 is working, i'm still happy.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:02 PM   #11
mcomer

I had this problem with my install over the weekend, and the helpful person on Tivo phone tech support told me they had been receiving a number of calls about it. We ended up solving it pretty easily via forcing two connections back to the mother ship from the Roamio then restarting it. After that, a simple click of the "retry" on the Mini connected right up, no need to even restart it. The tech said that for some reasons the servers at Tivo were not always reliably sending the TSNs of other new Tivos down to the Roamio on initial calls, so a few forced connections and a reboot seemed to be required.
mcomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:36 PM   #12
hopefulboydy

Thanks for the info.
I will try forcing a couple of connections as soon as I get home later.
I had done a couple over the weekend but maybe it hadn't successfully got the info.

One question though .... when you get to the error page on the mini does it show no TiVos or does it show your Tivo but it is grayed out (not selectable)? I ask as when I installed my 2 other minis, when I get to that part of the setup, my Roamio would show on the mini but I couldn't select it. I had multiple tivos on the network at the time. The other 2 tuner tivos were always grayed out of course. Then after I did a forced connection of the Roamio and tried again, the Roamio was no longer grayed out at the Mini and I could select it.

However this issue is slightly different as the Romaio isn't found at all ... so doesn't even show at all.

Hence my question.
regards,
hopefulboydy

added later: 2 forced calls, a reboot and still the same problem.

Last edited by hopefulboydy : 09-16-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:55 PM   #13
wildcattdw

Here's my update:

I had been fighting with the second Mini since Friday, and after a bunch of calls, the support tech suggested replacing; sounds familiar, yeah? Only been about 9 hours, and still have not had any luck with the replacement. As soon as my wife is done watching DWTS I'm going to do a couple forced connects and restart.

T
Old 09-16-2013, 09:03 PM   #14
kherr

I had troubles installing my second Mini also. I changed cables, ports on the switch, phoned home (both Mini and PXL4), restarted install, rebooting ....., called tech support, the whole nine yards. I wasn't about to send it in. Swapped it with my working Mini and it installed right away. Went down placed it where it started out (same cable, port ...) and haven't had a problem since.
kherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:23 PM   #15
wildcattdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by kherr View Post
I had troubles installing my second Mini also. I changed cables, ports on the switch, phoned home (both Mini and PXL4), restarted install, rebooting ....., called tech support, the whole nine yards. I wasn't about to send it in. Swapped it with my working Mini and it installed right away. Went down placed it where it started out (same cable, port ...) and haven't had a problem since.
I have moved mine around to different Coax connections, even tried an ethernet connection. I have not had any problems with the connection sequence.

I just completed a double phone home - reboot and the second mini's not yet working. *sigh*
Old 09-16-2013, 10:09 PM   #16
LJP
LJP

Having same issue, 1st Mini was simple to connect/activate...second one is being difficult...Day 3 and so far ...no connection. Support says it needs a specific update to recognize the Roamio and although it has updated, still an older version...be patient...give it another 24 hours....sheesh!!
LJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:48 AM   #17
wildcattdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJP View Post
Having same issue, 1st Mini was simple to connect/activate...second one is being difficult...Day 3 and so far ...no connection. Support says it needs a specific update to recognize the Roamio and although it has updated, still an older version...be patient...give it another 24 hours....sheesh!!
That's an interesting point, and one that I mentioned to TiVo Support. When I installed the first Mini, it happily told me an update was available and proceeded to download/install/reboot. The second Mini (and subsequent replacement of second Mini) have not updated. I did mention this fact to TS, and he thought that was OK, the Mini was at a new enough version to work with the Roamio.

Maybe not important, but perhaps a clue?
Old 09-17-2013, 09:03 AM   #18
warner

When I called yesterday afternoon, tech support told me the Mini that wasn't working was running an older version (compared to my working Mini). He wasn't sure if that was the cause of it so he escalated my case to the engineers. Day 6, 2nd non-working Mini.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:15 PM   #19
Dan203
Super Moderator

Are you guys all using MoCa? Is it possible the MoCa signal simply isn't good at the new location? Try swapping your other, working, Mini into this new position and see if it works there. That will tell you if the MoCa signal is good or not. If that Mini works then I'm betting it's an account issue. Try rebooting the Mini and run through the setup until it gets to the point where it makes a call. Then do it again a couple more times. Also force a call on your Roamio a few times.

The Roamio itself does not know, or care, how many Minis are set to use it as a host. As long as the account information matches up and they can find each other on the network you should be able to hook up as many as 9 Minis to a single Roamio. And the only reason there is that limit is because TiVo has a max of 10 devices on a single account.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:24 PM   #20
warner

I'm not using MoCa. Everything is hooked up via gigabit ethernet. Also tried hooking up both the non working minis to the location where the good mini is but still got the same error. And when i hook up the good mini to where the bad mini is located, the good mini continues to work fine.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:17 PM   #21
djmike0408

Roamio 4Tuner and 4 Minis

So I got my new Roamio 4Tuner and have it hooked into my network via MoCA connection (MoCA bridge hooked into my router in the office and another MoCA bridge hooked into my Roamio 4Tuner in the MasterBR). The MoCA bridge in the MasterBR is hooked into my Roamio through the coax and the ethernet port ... not sure if the ethernet port is necessary, but it doesn't connect to the internet otherwise. Anyway, I'm now trying to hook up my first Tivo Mini via MoCA and I'm having the same issues. I can't find the Roamio or connect to the network. When I run an ethernet cable from my router into the Guest Room that I'm hooking the Mini up in, I'm able to get connection to the network, but it can't find the Roamio. Roamio and Mini are both on my account, sharing is enabled and MoCA doesn't have a password enabled. I've tried rebooting, etc. to no avail. Haven't called Tivo tech support yet as I haven't had the time for a lengthily call. Any ideas for me to try?

PS: I've tried hooking the Mini up in different rooms in the house as well, but I get the same results.
djmike0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:30 PM   #22
hopefulboydy

Dan203,

I have been trying with Ethernet as I have the house wired for cat5. But so I could rule out a network issue (even though my other 2 minis setup fine in the same locations) I also tried MoCA and got the same error.
I am thinking that the mini is supposed to download new sw so it can recognise the roamio and it isnt doing so. I recall that when I set up my 2 working minis it did get an update, but alas cant remember if it was before or after the part where it looks for a compatable tivo.
Im going to call tivo again tonight to see if their boffins have figured out whats the issue is. I can try making a hundred forced connections from my roamio (Im up to about 20 at the minute) but dont think that is going to solve my issue.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:18 PM   #23
Dan203
Super Moderator

I wonder if a kick start would work?

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-kickstart-codes.php

#56 looks like it forces the unit to call home and install the latest software update. Although I'm not sure if these kickstart codes work with a Mini or not.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:21 PM   #24
hopefulboydy

Thanks for that tip .... I can try and see if the kickstart codes work .... it wont hurt to try.
I will do it as soon as I get home later and provide feedback.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:32 PM   #25
hopefulboydy

I tried the kickstart code. When the white light flashes pressing pause makes it stay amber. Then entering the code makes it flash for a few seconds and then go out.
But the end result is that it boots to the normal guided set up page. Im going to ask Tivo about it when I call shortly.
hopefulboydy
Old 09-17-2013, 06:54 PM   #26
hopefulboydy

I just got off the phone with Tivo and the support person looked in my notes for my case and said it had been updated with new info 2 hrs ago to state that they think my issue is caused by a known roamio issue that they are working on a sw update for. Something to do with the roamio and how it deals with multiple minis and tuner allocation. He couldn't give me any more detail when I questioned why the issue exists even if my 2 other minis are unplugged.

I will check daily with a forced call on the roamio to see if I get some sort of update.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:36 PM   #27
Dan203
Super Moderator

OK here is my suggestion...

Connect the Mini to the same exact TV as the Roamio and connect it to the same Ethernet switch. Do NOT connect coax to the Mini.

Once it boots up check the DHCP table in your router and ensure the Mini is listed on the network (it'll be listed by it's TiVo TSN) and has a valid IP address that does not conflict with any other devices. (beware that devices with static IP addresses may not be listed and could cause a conflict so you may want to just turn off anything with a static IP)

Unplug your Roamio and allow it to reboot. (do not use the menu option, we want a hard reboot)

Once the Roamio has completely booted verify that you can access it from one of the other Minis on your network.

Now go through the setup on the new Mini. If you can see the Roamio but it's grayed out then force more calls, change the TiVo and Minis name via the website, etc... to try and get it to recognize they are on the same account.

If you still can't even see the Roamio on the list then something is seriously wrong. TiVos use a simple UDP broadcast protocol to discover one another so there is no reason they shouldn't be able to at least see one another. At this point I would isolate the Roamio and Mini to their own network and see if you can get them to see one another. Disable MoCa on the Roamio and disconnect all devices from the network switch except the Mini and the Roamio. If the network switch is a wifi router then temporarily disable wifi to exclude wifi devices as the possible cause of the conflict.

The fact that you can't even see the Roamio points heavily to some sort of network conflict. If you can get past the setup then it'll be a LOT easier to troubleshoot the network problem.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:22 PM   #28
kherr

Now that you mentioned that, it reminds me of another issue I had with my PXL4. There was an IP issue where 2 devices were vying for the same IP. I used a network IP scanner to find the duplicate. Once that got straightened out everything worked. I ended up going through my network and gave everything a "sticky" (where the router reserves a dedicated IP for a given MAC address) DHCP IP. That and a reset of the IP in the Tivo. Solves a lot of work and head scratching,
kherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:44 PM   #29
hopefulboydy

Thanks for the tips.
Im out of town till Friday but the first thing I was going to do when I get back was to reserve an address for the failing Mini, and also remove everything from my network other than the roamio and mini, reset my switch, mini and romio and see whats going on with wireshark if it still fails.

Thanks for recommending debugging a networking problem as up until now I was getting blinkered with the ssumption it was a tivo issue.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:42 PM   #30
djmike0408

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulboydy View Post
Thanks for the tips.
Im out of town till Friday but the first thing I was going to do when I get back was to reserve an address for the failing Mini, and also remove everything from my network other than the roamio and mini, reset my switch, mini and romio and see whats going on with wireshark if it still fails.

Thanks for recommending debugging a networking problem as up until now I was getting blinkered with the ssumption it was a tivo issue.
When I called Tivo last night ... they said that this was a known issue and they are working on a fix and for me to sit tight, but I'd be curious to see if this method works for anyone.
djmike0408 is offline   Reply With Quote