TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-18-2013, 09:55 AM   #1
gweempose

The Shield or The Wire?

I've never seen a single episode of either series. I don't have time to watch them both right now. Which one should I choose?
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:02 AM   #2
cheesesteak
Meh.

The Wire is the only tv show I've ever seen that could actually be real life. It's the unquestioned #1 show of all time in my book. Everybody could be a real person and every event could actually happen. The Shield is an excellent tv show in its own right. It's a lot more action-y than The Wire. If you like a lot of stuff to happen in an episode then The Shield's for you. Things move at a slower pace in The Wire.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:03 AM   #3
JohnB1000

Watch them both (in time) so it doesn't really matter. Personally I would rate them equally for my enjoyment factor.

The Shield is probably easier to get into.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:15 AM   #4
Dawghows

Back when they initially aired, we tried both at the same time. As has been stated, The Shield has more action and is more immediately accessible. After about three episodes of each, we decided to stick with The Shield and dropped The Wire. A few weeks later, a friend who was also watching both urged us to give The Wire another try. Thank the TV Gods he did.

Upon starting over and sticking with it, The Wire became our favorite TV show of all time. Perhaps even my favorite show of any kind of all time. So rich, so real.

You can't go wrong with either show, but for me The Wire is pretty much the most perfect piece of work I've ever seen.
Dawghows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:21 AM   #5
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

The Wire, by far. I liked The Shield a lot but it had a lot of ups and downs. Especially in the early seasons.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:22 AM   #6
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

I've been watching The Wire on HBOGo the last few weeks. I made it to the last season, but I've liked it less and less as the seasons went on. Right now I've got 3 episodes left to the end and have pretty much no motivation to finish it. I don't know why this show gets all the love that it does. It's mostly unlikable people doing dumb things.

Never watched The Shield.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:37 AM   #7
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Never watched The Wire, but I wholeheartedly endorse The Shield. And I disagree that the series "had a lot of ups and downs". It was consistently high quality, intense television that had me on the edge of my seat all the time...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:47 AM   #8
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post

I've been watching The Wire on HBOGo the last few weeks ...
How does one access HBOGo? The nice thing about The Shield is that it's available on Amazon Prime, so I can stream it through my Roku.

Edit: I just realized that HBOGo can be streamed through the Roku as well, but for some reason Comcast is not supported. That sucks!
(3) Minis

Last edited by gweempose : 09-18-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:58 AM   #9
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Those are two of my three favorite TV shows ever. You cant' go wrong with either one. I would suggest starting with The Shield. If you aren't drawn in to The Shield after watching the pilot, maybe it's not for you. The Wire may take a few episodes to grow on you. It wasn't that way with me, but it was with some other people I know.
tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:00 AM   #10
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoboyjr View Post

Those are two of my three favorite TV shows ever ...
Out of curiosity, what's the third one?
(3) Minis

Old 09-18-2013, 11:34 AM   #11
goblue97
Hoke-amania

I'll echo the other comments that The Wire was some of the best TV I have ever seen. I really enjoyed the Shield too but would rank The Wire ahead of it.
goblue97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:38 AM   #12
MikeMar
Go Pats

The Wire, probably a good 6-7 characters that are my all time favorites, BEFORE any other show! Just pure amazing character depth, you root for and against every single person

The Shield was very good too

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:18 PM   #13
bryhamm
randomize

Quote:
Those are two of my three favorite TV shows ever. You cant' go wrong with either one. I would suggest starting with The Shield. If you aren't drawn in to The Shield after watching the pilot, maybe it's not for you. The Wire may take a few episodes to grow on you. It wasn't that way with me, but it was with some other people I know.

I've watched every ep of The Wire on dvd, but am only through S2 of The Shield. At this point, I would recommend The Wire.

In regards to the bolded, one of the eps in S2 of the The Shield was called "pre-pilot". Other than the name, it showed up on one of the discs like it was a regular ep. I talked to my buddy here at work and he said it was never aired. It was exactly what the title sounds like ... it was an ep that chronologically occurred prior to the actual pilot. It was kind of cool and I would recommend any Shield fans to try and catch it.

Bry, normally I would say you can hammer me any time baby -- Zevida

I should have frickin' bryhammed your balls yesterday -- KMan
bryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:20 PM   #14
bryhamm
randomize

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMar View Post
The Wire, probably a good 6-7 characters that are my all time favorites, BEFORE any other show! Just pure amazing character depth, you root for and against every single person

The Shield was very good too
So many actors/actresses that are from The Wire that I see in other shows and immediately think of their character in The Wire. Idris Elba has become a pretty big star, but every time I see him ... Stringer!!!

Old 09-18-2013, 12:28 PM   #15
jcondon

I liked both but never finished The Wire. I loved the first season. Watched the second and lost interest. IRC the got rid of several characters I really liked. I preferred The Shield personally.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:28 PM   #16
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

The Wire is one of my all-time favorites.

The biggest compliment I can give The Wire might be that I DON'T wish I could see it again for the first time. I really liked it the first time through. The second time let me appreciate how masterful it really was.

Bachelorhood: Life, liberty, and the happiness of pursuit.

Xbox Live: ClutchBrake
ClutchBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:38 PM   #17
MikeMar
Go Pats

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchBrake View Post
The Wire is one of my all-time favorites.

The biggest compliment I can give The Wire might be that I DON'T wish I could see it again for the first time. I really liked it the first time through. The second time let me appreciate how masterful it really was.
This, I have watched it twice through, and enjoyed it as much if not more the 2nd time!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:39 PM   #18
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryhamm View Post
I've watched every ep of The Wire on dvd, but am only through S2 of The Shield. At this point, I would recommend The Wire.

In regards to the bolded, one of the eps in S2 of the The Shield was called "pre-pilot". Other than the name, it showed up on one of the discs like it was a regular ep. I talked to my buddy here at work and he said it was never aired. It was exactly what the title sounds like ... it was an ep that chronologically occurred prior to the actual pilot. It was kind of cool and I would recommend any Shield fans to try and catch it.
Pretty sure it was called "co-pilot." I think it aired but could be wrong. Anyway, you're right that any Shield fans who haven't seen it would like it.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:40 PM   #19
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
Out of curiosity, what's the third one?
Three's Company.

But seriously, it's Breaking Bad. There are lots of shows I love, but if I had to rank them in terms of the "best," those are my top three.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:40 PM   #20
fmowry

You have to invest in watching The Wire. There are places where you might need to listen to a conversation a few times or go to CC to understand what they are talking about.

The Shield you can just let em rip.

Both great shows. I rewatched The Wire last year. Might need to rewatch The Shield again.
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:44 PM   #21
lambertman
I'm a man, I'm 40

Quote:
Three's Company.
But seriously, it's Breaking Bad. There are lots of shows I love, but if I had to rank them in terms of the "best," those are my top three.
Precisely my choices, at least in terms of drama and likely overall. S/W/BB.

Sitcoms go Cheers/Seinfeld/MTM.

and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at .... let me get back to you
lambertman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:45 PM   #22
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcondon View Post
I liked both but never finished The Wire. I loved the first season. Watched the second and lost interest. IRC the got rid of several characters I really liked. I preferred The Shield personally.
That happened to me. It took me nearly a year to watch the second season. I kept giving up on it. I can't say why without getting into spoilers and won't do that. But for anyone else with the same problem, I strongly recommend that you just keep watching. The second season gets better and the seasons after that are incredible, and they build on things that happened in seasons one and two.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:50 PM   #23
VegasVic
Craps Player

The Shield
Old 09-18-2013, 12:54 PM   #24
bryhamm
randomize

Quote:
Pretty sure it was called "co-pilot." I think it aired but could be wrong. Anyway, you're right that any Shield fans who haven't seen it would like it.
You might be right on the name, which would make more sense. If it was labeled "pre-pilot" on the dvd, I might have skipped it by figuring out what it was just from the title. With "co-pilot", it could mean many things.

Regardless, glad I watched it. It was very cool.

Maybe my coworker simply missed the ep then, because when I was describing it to him he knew he hadn't seen it yet.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:12 PM   #25
max99

Co-Pilot was the 9th episode of Season 2 and was a flashback to the first day of the Barn.
max99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:00 PM   #26
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Someday when I'm retired I'm going to give the Wire another shot. I just don't have time for it now.

I watched the first episode a couple of years ago and although I could see the quality, I just didn't care for the world they were showing. It was so dreary. Maybe I just wasn't in the right mood at the time.
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:14 PM   #27
Supfreak26
Live Like Noone Else

I'm finishing up the 2nd season of The Wire tonight and I also feel it was a tough one to watch. It's definitely gained momentum in the last few eps. IMO, you really have to stick with this show. The journey is slow but you grow to appreciate that as you get deeper into the story.

Love The Shield. You can't really compare the two shows. Both are amazing in their own way.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:21 PM   #28
mr.unnatural

Both are great shows. I'd highly recommend they be on anyone's must see list. The Shield is by far the best show Michael Chiklis has ever done. The first season of The Wire is a bit slow, but picks up later on. The later seasons were progressively better.

I'd also highly recommend "Homicide: Life on the Street." It's also set in Baltimore like The Wire and was a groundbreaking show of its time. In fact, PBS ran a special about it called the best show on TV that nobody was watching.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:47 PM   #29
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
Someday when I'm retired I'm going to give the Wire another shot. I just don't have time for it now.

I watched the first episode a couple of years ago and although I could see the quality, I just didn't care for the world they were showing. It was so dreary. Maybe I just wasn't in the right mood at the time.
I keep trying to get my wife to watch The Wire and she says it's too depressing and she can't understand what anyone is saying. That's what I say to her about Downton Abbey.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:35 PM   #30
bryhamm
randomize

Quote:
Originally Posted by max99 View Post
Co-Pilot was the 9th episode of Season 2 and was a flashback to the first day of the Barn.
So it was part of the "regularly scheduled eps". I'll have to tell my coworker that he must have just missed it.