Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-17-2013, 08:14 AM   #241
kaszeta
Fjohürs Lykkewe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
If it were all laundered, the cash would actually be gone. That's the point of laundering money, to get cash into the "system" a little bit at a time so you can get it into a bank account, report it on your tax return, pay tax on it, and then spend it. There's absolutely no way they could have laundered $80million through the car wash in a year. see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laundering_money#Methods
Indeed, it's already way more money than he could launder even if he was the A1 Car Wash King of New Mexico.

Knowing someone that runs a shockingly similar car wash (over in Arizona), total annual revenue is around half a million (he does ~140 cars a day, six days a week, averaging $12/car). So they've got 160 times the annual revenue of their car wash to launder. At best, they can launder a few million through there.

That, and from what we've seen with the money, it's almost all in fresh, crisp $100 bills. Go ahead, try spending a lot of those without questions getting asked and rumors starting. Or even try depositing a bunch of those at the bank, even if you nominally have a plausible revenue source that could generate that much cash: car washes don't generate lots of crisp new $100 bills all banded up, and depositing a mere $5000 this way more than once is likely to generate Suspicious Activity Reports from the bank to law enforcement
kaszeta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:19 AM   #242
cheesesteak
Meh.

$80 million in cash? The town's gentlemen's clubs would be empty because all the strippers would be at my house.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:07 AM   #243
Fahtrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by markz View Post
Wasn't it already laundered through the car wash? Should be clean now!

I see what you did there!

Others above appear to have taken you way too seriously
Fahtrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:15 AM   #244
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
$80 million in cash? The town's gentlemen's clubs would be empty because all the strippers would be at my house.
Wouldn't the wife complain?
Old 09-17-2013, 09:18 AM   #245
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
Wouldn't the wife complain?
She'd be in the other room with her $100 bills looking for her own Magic Mike.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:19 AM   #246
uncdrew
Annie 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeegan View Post
A coworker brought up the fact that the picture puts Jesse in a similar situation to Walt at the beginning of the series: he had to cook for the woman and kid that he cared about.
Yeah, but one is family. The other is some girl I used to know.

Though in this situation Jesse will probably care just about as much.
uncdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:38 AM   #247
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahtrim View Post
I see what you did there!

Others above appear to have taken you way too seriously
NEVER!!
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:49 AM   #248
BitbyBlit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
Jeeze, you make it sound like it was the first time Walt Jr told a little, rather insignificant lie. He's a teenager, I'm sure he's "lied" plenty.
To the police? I doubt it.

Note how shortly after Walt Jr lies to the police to protect Skyler, what does Walt do? He lies to the police to protect Skyler. Obviously Walt's lie is much more grandiose, but nonetheless, there are echoes of "like father, like son" here.

This doesn't mean that Walt Jr is on the path to becoming an evil drug lord, but a big theme of the series is that the path to darkness is paved with small, seemingly insignificant compromises.

The show began with Walt lying to Skyler over the phone about where he was, and it quickly jumped forward in time to where everything ultimately led: the shootout. The Walt of the past never could have imagined that things could have even remotely gotten that far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaszeta View Post
That, and from what we've seen with the money, it's almost all in fresh, crisp $100 bills.
The money is actually primarily 10s, 20s, and 50s. That's why it was hard for them to easily come to a good estimate. (Although apparently Walt took the time at some point later on.)

One thought I had about the ricin: What if it's for Jesse? What if Todd threatens harm to Andrea and Brock if Jesse kills himself, so Jesse needs a way to die that looks natural?

Perhaps Jesse tells Walt, "I know you want me dead. But please, let me die my way." And so they get one final bout of teamwork in order to bring down the Brotherhoood. Jesse takes the ricin and dies a painful death. The Brotherhood has now lost their cook, but knows that Walt is back in town because he hasn't been hiding himself. So they go after him, not realizing that he is leading them into a trap.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:52 AM   #249
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

So if Walt had $80M wouldn't jesse have that much? AFAIK I just saw him with the one bag. Where's the rest?

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:53 AM   #250
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTigerFan View Post
So if Walt had $80M wouldn't jesse have that much? AFAIK I just saw him with the one bag. Where's the rest?
Walt paid Jesse what he had been owed from the sale of "his third" of the precursor chemical.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:01 AM   #251
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
Walt paid Jesse what he had been owed from the sale of "his third" of the precursor chemical.
After which he tossed it out the window.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:08 AM   #252
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitbyBlit View Post
The money is actually primarily 10s, 20s, and 50s
Actually, it's 20s, 50s, and 100s if you look at the straps.
Hank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:23 AM   #253
kaszeta
Fjohürs Lykkewe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitbyBlit View Post
The money is actually primarily 10s, 20s, and 50s. That's why it was hard for them to easily come to a good estimate. (Although apparently Walt took the time at some point later on.)
Yeah, watching the Huell scene, the stack is *mostly* 50s, with a scattering of 20s and 100s. I thought that it was mostly hundreds since several other money closeups were 100s (like the stash Mike left for Kaylee, and the the stack he had for the truck)

Which is actually pretty consistent with volume: a stack of 50s the size of the pile in the storage locker would be around $60 million. Add in some $100s and that $80 million figure seems plausible.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:26 AM   #254
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
So how much did Walt pay for that truck in the last episode?

Old 09-17-2013, 10:26 AM   #255
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
After which he tossed it out the window.
and the rest got confiscated by the police, I'm sure.

Jesse had his $5 million and that was it. Now it's all gone and he's cooking for free.
Anubys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:27 AM   #256
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
and the rest got confiscated by the police, I'm sure.

Jesse had his $5 million and that was it. Now it's all gone and he's cooking for free.
Well, he's cooking for his life.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:31 AM   #257
kaszeta
Fjohürs Lykkewe

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
So how much did Walt pay for that truck in the last episode?
It looked like either one or two stacks of $100s, so either $10k or $20k. I think the former.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #258
mrdbdigital
The TBS Archives

TC CLUB MEMBER
This Hollywood Reporter article has some interesting insight on how they shot the scene with Holly saying, "mama".

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...g-death-629957
mrdbdigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:13 AM   #259
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacThor View Post
Just rewatched. Marie couldn't hear the phone call. She saw Skylar's face after she asked about Hank, and Walt said "you're never going to see Hank again." Marie didn't hear Walt but Skylar's reaction was all she needed...
Really? It looked like the cops had the phone sorta on speakerphone as they recorded it, but in that case Walt would have heard Marie gasp.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

Last edited by MikeAndrews : 09-17-2013 at 11:28 AM.
MikeAndrews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:21 AM   #260
Bribo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000 View Post
I feel like an idiot that I didn't get Walt's intention with that last phone call (until reading this thread), that he was trying to cover for Skylar. I just thought he had gone off the deep end. Pretty brilliant.

Anyway, the episodes just keep getting more and more intense! I can't imagine what we'll see next. Well, I can, but it will never be as good as what they've in store, that's for sure.
Me Too! I thought that he was trying to implicate her, out of spite, the same way he told Jesse about Jane out of spite. Heisenberg would do that. It was only after reading some of the posts here I realized he was giving her an out, and after rewatching, I realized I had it wrong.
Bribo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:21 AM   #261
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
Really? It looked like the cops had the phone sorta on speaker as they recorded it, but in that case Walt would have heard Marie gasp.
well, let me explain to you the way a speaker actually works...

Edit: I know what you meant. But I think the cops actually had just a speaker going, not a speaker phone function...
Old 09-17-2013, 11:27 AM   #262
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdbdigital View Post
This Hollywood Reporter article has some interesting insight on how they shot the scene with Holly saying, "mama".

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...g-death-629957
I pretty much guessed right, other than it was a happy accident.

Dateline 2038: 27 year old "Holly" is interviewed on the 25th anniversary of Breaking Bad and says she doesn't remember doing the scene.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:32 AM   #263
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal View Post
(x6) to your list.
My nit picks: nit-pickers. Especially about such an amazing episode!!
(but you're entitled to your ridiculously impossible standards)

Just as Walt was fooled by Jesse's phone call about finding and burning the money because he was called to action before he could calmly process what was happening, Skyler was compelled by Marie's assertiveness in her claims. She knew that she hadn't seen Walt since he ran from the car wash in a panic, and she had just left him a message on the cell phone when Marie arrived.
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncdrew View Post
The list was for you in particular.

Kidding of course, but as others said, we're all free to state our miind here and discuss things. Some of those are thinking how things happened. That was my list.

I find trying to tell us what we can and can't discuss is a bit -- but it's not really a big deal. No worries. You're entitled to your opinion too, of course.

I acknowledged your right to your opinion ... I simply expressed my disagreement with your points. At no point have I ever dictated to anybody what you can or cannot post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncdrew View Post
Dude, no nitpicking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB1000 View Post
I think that's what Getreal is missing. We like to discuss the show, if all we did was say "great show" it wouldn't be much fun so we deeply analyze it in a way we wouldn't with other shows.
{RANT}
I was disappointed that JohnB1000 added to the misrepresentation of my post, but I suppose I should not be surprised. However, neither of you guys will intimidate me from posting. Get real, dudes.

I appreciate most of your posts (uncdrew & JohnB1000), but I take exception to personal attacks, even though you may try to hide behind smiley face icons. If you first say "Kidding, of course" and then follow up with more misrepresentations of the same post, then it clearly struck a raw nerve.

I started to respond to this yesterday, but decided to let it go. However, it bothered me enough that I needed to reply today in order to get it off my chest. Thanks for your patience. Now I'm over it.
{/RANT}

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
I think that was a Sisyphus reference- a punishment for chronic deceitfulness and all.
Wow! Great observation! I agree. There is so much stuff going on in this episode, and it needs to be seen more than once to appreciate all of it. That is great writing, direction, acting, etc. etc. etc.

BTW, I also really liked the photo comparisons between the fallen statue on the ground, a fallen Walt after the execution of Hank, and the fallen Gus Fring after the execution of his partner back in the day. Wow!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
With more than 12k votes and counting, Ozymandias is holding into a 10.0/10 score on IMDB at the moment. Wow. It deserves it, I'd say.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt2301451/?ref_=tt_ep_pr
Rating a ten is much better than a six. Just sayin' ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB1000 View Post
Another Ozymandias style refernce

getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:53 AM   #264
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
I think that was a Sisyphus reference- a punishment for chronic deceitfulness and all.
In the article posted, the director admits it was a direct Sisyphus reference. Also, Walt's pants were in the script.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:52 PM   #265
pmyers

I really am hoping Skylar was smart enough to have a 2nd storage unit or something and syphoned off some cash.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:54 PM   #266
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
I really am hoping Skylar was smart enough to have a 2nd storage unit or something and syphoned off some cash.
But once the police hounds are on that trail, they will find anything she has. The car wash is a goner and anything she put anywhere will be found. She should be penniless and homeless by minute 1 of the next show.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:57 PM   #267
pmyers

Quote:
But once the police hounds are on that trail, they will find anything she has. The car wash is a goner and anything she put anywhere will be found. She should be penniless and homeless by minute 1 of the next show.
I don't agree. I know I could hide cash.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:58 PM   #268
Beryl

Quote:
Unless she buried some in the desert.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:03 PM   #269
Fahtrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
Unless she buried some in the desert.
Maybe it's in a van down by the river!!!!!
Fahtrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:03 PM   #270
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Yeah, I don't see why they would find it.. if she's claiming innocence and was manipulated/coerced into it, she's just running the car wash (and can still launder the cash). She is too smart to rent a storage unit in her own name. Even if she loses the car wash, she can still start another cash-business (like that nail salon) to continue to launder the cash nobody but her knows about.