TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-16-2013, 07:40 PM   #5761
moyekj

Changing extension name to .mpg fixing something doesn't make any sense to me. As I mentioned above whenever you update the encode file you need to refresh encoding proflies in kmttg which is probably step you were missing.

Using a mpg extension is not really a good idea in general since you run the risk of overwriting your input file if the input & output files are set to go to same dir.

I noticed you now have "-f DVD" which is not a valid ffmpeg option - ffmpeg is case sensitive. It needs to be "-f dvd" as I posted originally.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:45 PM   #5762
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

How do you refresh the encoding profile? restart KMTTG?

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:46 PM   #5763
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
How do you refresh the encoding profile? restart KMTTG?
File - Refresh Encoding Profiles (or Ctrl-E)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:01 PM   #5764
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Is there a way to make the output to a .srt.mpg instead of a .mpeg file?

~~~~~

Old 09-16-2013, 08:06 PM   #5765
moyekj

Quote:
Is there a way to make the output to a .srt.mpg instead of a .mpeg file?
Sure, under <extension> section specify srt.mpg instead of mpeg.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:22 PM   #5766
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Sure, under <extension> section specify srt.mpg instead of mpeg.
Code:
encoding failed (exit code: 1 ) - check command: E:\kmttg\ffmpeg\ffmpeg.exe -y -i "I:\Video\Undercover Boss - 408 -  - Moes Southwest Grill 2013.01.18-20.00.mpg" -i "i:\video\Undercover Boss - 408 -  - Moes Southwest Grill 2013.01.18-20.00.srt.srt" -scodec mov_text -acodec copy -vcodec copy -fflags genpts -f dvd "i:\video\Undercover Boss - 408 -  - Moes Southwest Grill 2013.01.18-20.00.srt.mpg" 
ffmpeg version N-53033-g56ba331 Copyright (c) 2000-2013 the FFmpeg developers
  built on May 13 2013 22:18:29 with gcc 4.7.3 (GCC)
  configuration: --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --disable-w32threads --enable-avisynth --enable-bzlib --enable-fontconfig --enable-frei0r --enable-gnutls --enable-iconv --enable-libass --enable-libbluray --enable-libcaca --enable-libfreetype --enable-libgsm --enable-libilbc --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-libopus --enable-librtmp --enable-libschroedinger --enable-libsoxr --enable-libspeex --enable-libtheora --enable-libtwolame --enable-libvo-aacenc --enable-libvo-amrwbenc --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libx264 --enable-libxavs --enable-libxvid --enable-zlib
  libavutil      52. 31.100 / 52. 31.100
  libavcodec     55.  9.100 / 55.  9.100
  libavformat    55.  7.100 / 55.  7.100
  libavdevice    55.  0.100 / 55.  0.100
  libavfilter     3. 65.100 /  3. 65.100
  libswscale      2.  3.100 /  2.  3.100
  libswresample   0. 17.102 /  0. 17.102
  libpostproc    52.  3.100 / 52.  3.100
Input #0, mpeg, from 'I:\Video\Undercover Boss - 408 -  - Moes Southwest Grill 2013.01.18-20.00.mpg':
  Duration: 01:00:00.30, start: 0.200000, bitrate: 17648 kb/s
    Stream #0:0[0x1e0]: Video: mpeg2video (Main), yuv420p, 1920x1080 [SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], 29.97 fps, 29.97 tbr, 90k tbn, 59.94 tbc
    Stream #0:1[0x80]: Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), fltp, 384 kb/s
i:\video\Undercover Boss - 408 -  - Moes Southwest Grill 2013.01.18-20.00.srt.srt: No such file or directory
This is with the extension at "srt.mpg"

~~~~~

Old 09-16-2013, 08:33 PM   #5767
moyekj

Then just stick with mpeg (and make a custom script to rename it if you really don't like it).

Old 09-17-2013, 08:35 AM   #5768
moyekj

Tried out the hard subs profile I posted this morning and couldn't get it to work with mpeg2 as output file. Choosing an H.264 encoding profile and adding "-i SRTFILE -scodec mov_text" did work.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:10 AM   #5769
moyekj

v1p0f version released

v1p0f version is now released.
* Contains internal workaround to allow Remote functions to work with Java 7 update 40 or later without having to patch Java installation.
* Remote Web tab updated to be able to run flash or html pages.
* Added Remote Season Passes table right menu popup item (bindkey p) which allows you to directly specify priority to use for selected row.
* mediainfo video codec identification fix
* For encode task added smarter SRTFILE keyword replacement

Consult release_notes Wiki for full details.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:24 PM   #5770
Soapm

Quote:
* For encode task added smarter SRTFILE keyword replacement

Consult release_notes Wiki for full details.
Does this have any bearing on our conversation? I can't update at this time since I'm encoding a series but was curious if a difference was made in this area.

Great product by the way, you're a blessing for the gift you gave the community which includes your skill, time and patient support. May whomever your god is give you a double portion of blessings...
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:34 PM   #5771
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
Does this have any bearing on our conversation? I can't update at this time since I'm encoding a series but was curious if a difference was made in this area.
Specifically it addresses ThAbtO's issue above where with srt.mpg extension defined in encoding profile the incorrect srt input file was being looked for.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:46 PM   #5772
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Specifically it addresses ThAbtO's issue above where with srt.mpg extension defined in encoding profile the incorrect srt input file was being looked for.
You didn't have to do that, but TY.

I am over my head trying to figure out those profiles so I hardly even try to deal with them.
I thought this profile would put CC on the video as if they were being burned in.
But after trying the Before and After encoded video files on the Tivo, it turned out both had the CC visible.

~~~~~

Old 09-17-2013, 04:52 PM   #5773
moyekj

Quote:
I thought this profile would put CC on the video as if they were being burned in.
That was the goal (to get hard subs in the video), but as I posted early this morning above after testing it I couldn't get it working when output video was mpeg2 with ffmpeg. It works when choosing an H.264 ffmpeg encoding profile and adding "-i SRTFILE -scodec mov_text".
There probably is a way to get it to work with mpeg2 output as well but at this point I'm tired of trying to figure it out.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:34 AM   #5774
moyekj

Quote:
That was the goal (to get hard subs in the video), but as I posted early this morning above after testing it I couldn't get it working when output video was mpeg2 with ffmpeg. It works when choosing an H.264 ffmpeg encoding profile and adding "-i SRTFILE -scodec mov_text".
There probably is a way to get it to work with mpeg2 output as well but at this point I'm tired of trying to figure it out.
FYI, I was wrong about this too. This adds timed text stream to the encode which VLC automatically displays when present, but it doesn't burn captions into the video which was the intent.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:34 PM   #5775
ALbino
Lurker Series 2

FWIW, a cool feature might be a quick search box. Nothing fancy, just something that shows the exact matches for the term and an X to delete and go back to everything. Just a thought
Old 09-18-2013, 12:47 PM   #5776
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALbino View Post
FWIW, a cool feature might be a quick search box. Nothing fancy, just something that shows the exact matches for the term and an X to delete and go back to everything. Just a thought
If you mean searching kmttg tables that's already in place:
File->Search Table... or Ctrl-S shortcut
I use it quite a lot to find Season Passes on my Roamio since I have over 100 of them now.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:46 PM   #5777
ALbino
Lurker Series 2

That does work in a way, in that it finds a match, and then the next one, etc. I guess what I'd like to see is it just display all the matches in the window and nothing else. But yeah, ctrl+s is still very useful.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:01 AM   #5778
sar840t2

I was finally able to check the result of my encode of a 1 hour recording. I used the "hb tivo hd" profile (sorry, the file isn't in front of me so I can't give the exact name, but it had those three terms in it).

I found that playback of the MP4 file in Windows Media Player on Windows 7 had significant A/V issues (off by at least a second). Is there a better profile I should use? Or should I use ffmpeg instead of handbrake?

My goal is to keep the resolution but compress the file without losing too much quality. The resulting file has great video quality and is sufficiently compressed, but I'm picky and like the words to be in sync with the lips

I'm asking here rather than trying each profile because the two encodes I've done so far took almost 14 hours each, so it's a rather long lather-rinse-repeat cycle.

Thanks ... Mike
sar840t2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:07 AM   #5779
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

I have not really had good luck with handbrake on windows. It is slow, cpu intensive and the audio is always off sync.

I've had issues with ffmpeg too, audio errors. I've posted elsewhere in this forum about them, and was told that it is video/audio glitches, cleaned up by QSFIX mode in videoredo.

I tried that, and yes, the audio stays synced if qsfix is run.

So, I switched all my profiles/runs to Videoredo (Yes, I bought it).

I can run 2 at a time, and they are fast.

14 hours to run one encode seems excessive. What is your cpu/memory?
Tivo (S2-retired, 500gb HD, 2 units)
TivoHD (2tb HD, chip mod, 2 units)
Tivo Premiere (2tb HD)
Tivo Premiere4 (2tb (JMFS) HD)
philhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:32 AM   #5780
az1097

When I try to update to the latest version by the help menu, an error is given "file or path not found". How do I fix this? thanks.
az1097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:54 AM   #5781
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by az1097 View Post
When I try to update to the latest version by the help menu, an error is given "file or path not found". How do I fix this? thanks.
It only works properly for v1p0b or later, so if you have v1p0a you will need to update manually one last time.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:56 AM   #5782
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by sar840t2 View Post
I was finally able to check the result of my encode of a 1 hour recording. I used the "hb tivo hd" profile (sorry, the file isn't in front of me so I can't give the exact name, but it had those three terms in it).

I found that playback of the MP4 file in Windows Media Player on Windows 7 had significant A/V issues (off by at least a second). Is there a better profile I should use? Or should I use ffmpeg instead of handbrake?

My goal is to keep the resolution but compress the file without losing too much quality. The resulting file has great video quality and is sufficiently compressed, but I'm picky and like the words to be in sync with the lips

I'm asking here rather than trying each profile because the two encodes I've done so far took almost 14 hours each, so it's a rather long lather-rinse-repeat cycle.

Thanks ... Mike
As mentioned above you have to include "QS Fix" in the flow to avoid A/V sync issues (as mentioned in the tooltips). It's best if you can use VideoRedo for QS Fix, but ProjectX works OK most of the time too.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:57 AM   #5783
sar840t2

Quote:
As mentioned above you have to include "QS Fix" in the flow to avoid A/V sync issues (as mentioned in the tooltips). It's best if you can use VideoRedo for QS Fix, but ProjectX works OK most of the time too.
Thanks, I'll try that. I had seen references to Project X, but hadn't looked into it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philhu View Post
I have not really had good luck with handbrake on windows. It is slow, cpu intensive and the audio is always off sync.

I've had issues with ffmpeg too, audio errors. I've posted elsewhere in this forum about them, and was told that it is video/audio glitches, cleaned up by QSFIX mode in videoredo.

I tried that, and yes, the audio stays synced if qsfix is run.

So, I switched all my profiles/runs to Videoredo (Yes, I bought it).

I can run 2 at a time, and they are fast.

14 hours to run one encode seems excessive. What is your cpu/memory?
Good to know, thanks. I may look some more at VideoReDo, but having already bought Tivo Dektop Plus thinking it could encode with decent quality (it can't), I'm not sure how much more money I want to sink into this project. I may just resort to sending the (uncompressed) mpg file from kmttg to my daughter at college on an SD card, rather than try to shrink them.

My PC was leading edge (but not bleeding edge) probably 7 years ago, so it's certainly not a screamer, but was good for standard-def FireWire captures and encode.

Other than "dual-core" I can't remember what CPU it is (how I miss the days when the name was simply 486 at some clock frequency). 1GB of memory I believe (possibly 2GB). As more of my usage moves to a tablet (or even a phone) it's unlikely this PC will get replaced any time soon
Old 09-19-2013, 11:58 AM   #5784
ALbino
Lurker Series 2

For what it's worth, I was having sync issues before as well, and QS Fix solved my problems.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #5785
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

I have a i7-4770k with 16GB of memory (just built it) and can do 2 1hour hd conversions (to H.264 mp4 or mkv) in a little over 2 hours. It runs 2 videoredo jobs at once.

If I run them one at a time, it takes about 2.5 hours to do both

Now this might be slowed a bit by the fact that Videoredo writes its output file to a NAS device and reads from a local disk.

I have kmttg set to download about 9 shows from various Tivos and then have kmttg tell videoredo to write the resulting files to a directory on my NAS that I serve up using pytivo as 'Just In'. Weekly I move the items from there to the correct folders by Show name. Very few glitches, it just works.

I couldn't wait 14 hours to do a convert
Tivo (S2-retired, 500gb HD, 2 units)
TivoHD (2tb HD, chip mod, 2 units)
Tivo Premiere (2tb HD)
Tivo Premiere4 (2tb (JMFS) HD)
philhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:52 PM   #5786
lpwcomp

Quote:
Good to know, thanks. I may look some more at VideoReDo, but having already bought Tivo Dektop Plus thinking it could encode with decent quality (it can't), I'm not sure how much more money I want to sink into this project. I may just resort to sending the (uncompressed) mpg file from kmttg to my daughter at college on an SD card, rather than try to shrink them.(
Does your daughter have a TiVo or do either of you have internet caps?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:50 PM   #5787
sar840t2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Does your daughter have a TiVo or do either of you have internet caps?
No, no remote TiVo. Good thought though.

Last I saw on Comcast's site they have suspended their 250GB monthly cap.

@philhu - showoff
Old 09-19-2013, 03:31 PM   #5788
lpwcomp

Quote:
No, no remote TiVo. Good thought though.
You might want to take a look at VirtualDub then. It's what I used to use for the same purpose - edit, save as compressed avi, write to transportable medium. It's freeware.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:10 PM   #5789
mattack

Quote:
No, if your .TiVo files are PS container then you have a problem since you need to convert to TS container in a way that preserves captions before sending back to series 4 TiVo.
I sure thought you gave me a command line option to do this, but I can't find it at the moment. (I searched for caption on this page forward.)

Is there a way to convert files that were downloaded _and_ decrypted in PS container to TS container THEN transfer back to Tivo (e.g. with pytivo)?

or are the captions already 'ruined' by the time it has been downloaded/decoded in PS format? (I suspect not, since VLC can still play the captions.. or at least they show SOME form of captions).

PS is fast enough from Premiere units that I can live with that, but not having the captions when going BACK to the Tivo is slightly a pain (yeah I should follow my own advice and write this up as a bug on Tivo's forums, since it works with S3). And I paranoidly check that the download really was complete, so even though I suggested doing it before, I want to really decode the program first and check it, THEN delete it from my Tivo.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:30 PM   #5790
Soapm

Quote:
Good to know, thanks. I may look some more at VideoReDo, but having already bought Tivo Dektop Plus thinking it could encode with decent quality (it can't), I'm not sure how much more money I want to sink into this project. I may just resort to sending the (uncompressed) mpg file from kmttg to my daughter at college on an SD card, rather than try to shrink them.
Have you run QSFix and did it sync the audio? I don't see why HB won't do the job, I've been using it for a while and happen to think it's a great tool. You may have to adjust the setting in the profile to your liking (liking upping the quality setting one or two) but it should work just fine.
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote