TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-12-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
Rangers4me
The One and Only

Out of Network Streaming

I am on the road and am trying to stream both live TV and recorded shows from my Roamio Pro to my iPhone. Every channel or recording I try to stream gives the message - "Away From Home Network: While you're away from your home network, some options are not available."

I thought "Sling" like functionality was part of this?
Old 09-12-2013, 06:36 PM   #2
scole250

I think it's "Coming soon"
Old 09-12-2013, 06:39 PM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

According to an interview the CEO gave during the Roamio launch it's coming "this Fall".
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:02 AM   #4
Envy2

Remote streaming from my Roamio Plus to my iPad works using a VPN already, even over LTE.

There's no technical issue preventing this from working today, but for whatever reason TiVo has delayed it. Likely they want to implement their own dynamic DNS service rather than relying on users to do so themselves and thus disabled the feature.

Using a VPN also gets around similar artificial restrictions in other software, such as the TWC TV app.
Envy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:41 PM   #5
fungflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy2 View Post
Remote streaming from my Roamio Plus to my iPad works using a VPN already, even over LTE.

There's no technical issue preventing this from working today, but for whatever reason TiVo has delayed it. Likely they want to implement their own dynamic DNS service rather than relying on users to do so themselves and thus disabled the feature.

Using a VPN also gets around similar artificial restrictions in other software, such as the TWC TV app.
Would you mind explaining your VPN solution a little bit? Was strongly considering setting something up in my home as well so I could accomplish this very thing and saw on the forum mixed results.

Thanks!
fungflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:44 PM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator

It's my understanding that you can't get a functional VPN connection unless you jail break your iOS device. So this is not really a viable solution for most people.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:55 PM   #7
windracer
joined the 10k club

My VPN solution requires OpenVPN, which is only available on jailbroken iOS devices. That being said, it technically works but since it relies on good upstream bandwidth, it wasn't actually usable for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:38 PM   #8
fungflex

Shame. I have a very solid upstream speed (25+) from FIOS, but as an active iOS developer all my devices are on iOS 7 and therefore cannot be jailbroken.
fungflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:53 PM   #9
jscozz

Hmmm... iOS 7 support per app vpn connectivity... but I can't find any info on how it works. I'd be curios if this would allow you to connect to home vpn whenever you run tivo app.
jscozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:20 PM   #10
windracer
joined the 10k club

It would only work if the VPN client in iOS supports features like Bonjour forwarding. The current VPN software in iOS doesn't, which is why I had to use OpenVPN.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote