TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-06-2013, 04:34 PM   #1
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Roamio MRS playback restarts on net glitch?

I have never used MRS (Multi-Room Streaming) before now (from my old Premiere to view on my new Roamio). I played with it some and it is pretty fantastic.

I am using a crappy little WiFi G gaming adapter and the signal is weak (far away), so it works fine MOST of the time. But there is an occasional glitch every now and then, which is not only expected, but no big whoop.

EXCEPT that on rare occasions it will throw up an error that my network is too slow, do I want to try again. Again, not a big whoop.... EXCEPT THAT WHEN I SAY "YES", IT TOTALLY FORGETS MY POSITION IN THE VIDEO and starts at the beginning of the video!

Is that "normal"?? I have never seen this mentioned before. It looks like a glaring bug to me. There is absolutely no reason the TiVo should start back at the beginning... it knew exactly where I was when I was watching it.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:46 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

There are other weird issues with the playback marker and MRS. For example if you play a program with start padding the MRS stream will always start after the padding. I have one show that I regularly pad by 5 minutes and when I watch it via MRS it starts 5 minutes into the recording. And last night I was watching the Daily Show via MRS on my main TV. I got to a commercial and decided I was tired and wanted to watch the rest in bed via my iPad. I FF past the commercial break, then paused it, and exited the show by pressing the TiVo button. (if you leave it paused you can't delete it via the Stream) Anyway when I started the stream on my iPad the video started before the commercial break, not after where I had paused it. So it seems whatever they use for the marker isn't always updated correctly.

As for your particular problem... I'd highly recommend upgrading to a better networking technology. You can get a pair of AV500 powerline adapters at Amazon for $40...

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PA4.../dp/B00AWRUICG

They'll provide a much better MRS experience.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:57 PM   #3
moyekj

MoCA would be a better option than powerline. Since OP already has Roamio Pro with built in MoCA, he would just need 1 MoCA adapter for the Premiere.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:01 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
MoCA would be a better option than powerline. Since OP already has Roamio Pro with built in MoCA, he would just need 1 MoCA adapter for the Premiere.
For some reason I thought he was an OTA guy so I assumed he was using the Basic. Provided he has coax where the Mini is then you are right. TiVo has the best deal on MoCa adapters at $50.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:04 PM   #5
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
For some reason I thought he was an OTA guy so I assumed he was using the Basic. Provided he has coax where the Mini is then you are right. TiVo has the best deal on MoCa adapters at $50.
My understanding is that OP is using MRS Premiere <-> Roamio Pro, so must have coax at Premiere location already.

Old 09-06-2013, 05:06 PM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
My understanding is that OP is using MRS Premiere <-> Roamio Pro, so must have coax at Premiere location already.
Good point. You're paying much closer attention to the details of this point then I am.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:51 PM   #7
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
You are assuming the other room has coax. Which it does not. And I am on a slab. And there is no attic.

This is just a test setup. If I were using it regularly (which I won't be), I would upgrade the wireless technology or go through the nightmare of running CAT6. But even "great" wireless can still have a glitch, and I don't understand why the TiVo would completely start a program over again at the beginning! Certainly it knows where I was... it happened twice, both times I was more than 30 minutes into a program.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:00 PM   #8
moyekj

As an avid MRS user (use it every day), I can say your experience is not the norm. But I don't suffer the errors you describe either. The only MRS related bug I do suffer from is when you start MRS of a still recording show, inevitably after the recording completes and you are still watching via MRS I get V87 error. With that error sometimes pause point is lost, other times not.
So in general I'd say the pause points are remembered, but if you get errors during MRS there are situations where pause point doesn't get properly saved.

This V87 bug is a long time known issue affecting series 4 & series 5 units that I've reported to TiVo numerous times but is one of those things that never gets fixed.

Old 09-16-2013, 11:12 AM   #9
Crrink

Quote:
As an avid MRS user (use it every day), I can say your experience is not the norm. But I don't suffer the errors you describe either. The only MRS related bug I do suffer from is when you start MRS of a still recording show, inevitably after the recording completes and you are still watching via MRS I get V87 error. With that error sometimes pause point is lost, other times not.
So in general I'd say the pause points are remembered, but if you get errors during MRS there are situations where pause point doesn't get properly saved.

This V87 bug is a long time known issue affecting series 4 & series 5 units that I've reported to TiVo numerous times but is one of those things that never gets fixed.
Eh, I think this is the problem I've been having with my Roamio Basic. It's set up for OTA, so we've been streaming Breaking Bad the last couple of weeks. I thought I was losing connection when it hit the one hour mark (the show has been 1:03 or :04 the last few weeks) but it may be occurring when the episode stops recording on the Premiere we're streaming from. I'll pay more attention to the time next time it happens.

Hope there will be a fix with the next update...the error has been brutal the last two weeks, Breaking Bad has amped up the adrenaline like crazy, and getting unceremoniously tossed out of the show with just a few minutes to go is jarring as hell!
Crrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:39 AM   #10
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crrink View Post
Hope there will be a fix with the next update...the error has been brutal the last two weeks, Breaking Bad has amped up the adrenaline like crazy, and getting unceremoniously tossed out of the show with just a few minutes to go is jarring as hell!
Don't get your hopes up. This V87 bug has been around since MRS was introduced with series 4 units so obviously is not a priority to be fixed by TiVo.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:46 PM   #11
Crrink

Quote:
Don't get your hopes up. This V87 bug has been around since MRS was introduced with series 4 units so obviously is not a priority to be fixed by TiVo.
Yeah, I hear you. This probably won't be an issue for us very often, but it would be nice if they'd fix it. Maybe they'll surprise us all and fix this, plus finish the HD conversion for the last few screens that are left
Crrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:34 PM   #12
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crrink View Post
plus finish the HD conversion for the last few screens that are left
If you count the settings section there are still quite a few non-HD screens. The only non-settings screens are Find By Time and Find By Channel, but most of the settings section is non-HD and there are probably 50+ total screens in there. Based on their current pace it could be years before the entire UI is HD.