Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-16-2013, 11:17 AM   #121
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I never watch sneaks or previews. I just wait for the pilot to air and go from there...
I try to avoid the sneak peaks and the commercials. I like to judge these shows on it's own merit. There was one show where there was a commercial for it recently, a sitcom, and I turned to my wife and said, if that's the scene they think is funny enough to sell the show, we might as well just skip it. (The Allison Janney show...forget the name). I don't need a network talking head (or a critic for that matter) telling me when something is good. With a DVR, it's easy, I record, I watch, and then I judge

Quote:
I need reading material for... {TMI edit}. And I love EW. So I call it a win-win.
All I can say to that, is you probably don't wanna borrow my phone or tablet
Old 09-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #122
Lori
Social Defective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
(The Allison Janney show...forget the name)...
Mom.

That's one that I liked the preview for quite a bit. I watched it twice, and laughed harder the second time. That seemed to bode well.

Plus, Chuck Lorre.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is not the size of our army that shall lead us to victory. It is the undeniable righteousness of our cause... "--JAB
Lori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:29 PM   #123
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori View Post
Mom.

That's one that I liked the preview for quite a bit. I watched it twice, and laughed harder the second time. That seemed to bode well.

Plus, Chuck Lorre.
Maybe the preview is better than the commercial. The commercial had Janney talking to her daughter and made some comment that was completely unfunny. My wife looked at me and we almost simultaneously said PASS!! I'm not a Janney fan so I wasn't that enthused with the show anyway. I have the pilot set to record, from before we saw that ad, so we'll see.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:24 PM   #124
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Mom.

Plus, Chuck Lorre.
yes but CL also created Two and a Half Men...
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:36 PM   #125
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
yes but CL also created Two and a Half Men...
When I think about it, the only Chuck Lorre show that I'm aware he did that I've ever liked is Big Bang Theory, so perhaps that's the anomaly and I generally don't like his stuff

Last edited by Steveknj : 09-16-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Steveknj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:41 PM   #126
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
When I think about it, the only Chuck Lorre show that I'm aware he did that I've ever liked is Big Brother, so perhaps that's the anomaly and I generally don't like his stuff
only thing I like(d) recently is Big Bang Theory, but it took a dive after S1/S2. He did EP Roseanne though.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:45 PM   #127
mwhip
All better

Quote:
When I think about it, the only Chuck Lorre show that I'm aware he did that I've ever liked is Big Brother, so perhaps that's the anomaly and I generally don't like his stuff
Big Brother?

I generally like CL shows:

Roseanne (writer not creator)
Grace Under Fire
Dharma and Greg
Mike and Molly
Big Bang Theory (the Sheen years)
BBT

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:48 PM   #128
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhip View Post
Where can I find these?
Old 09-16-2013, 02:58 PM   #129
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Big Brother?

Grace Under Fire
Dharma and Greg
Mike and Molly
BBT
Fixed....ooops!!

I did not like any of those shows listed except TBBT. Not a one. So yeah, if that's his credits, TBBT is the anomaly and I'm probably right about not going to like the new one. But I'll give the pilot a shot.

Big Bang Theory (the Sheen years) - The Sheen years?

touche`
Old 09-16-2013, 03:01 PM   #130
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
Where can I find these?
It's really only the one episode when Raj announced to a bar full of people that we was going to be in People Magazine. Sheen turned around from the bar and said "let me know when you're on the cover".

ETA: found the video.

BBT-Charlie Sheen

Last edited by scooterboy : 09-16-2013 at 04:03 PM.
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:32 PM   #131
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
It's really only the one episode when Raj announced to a bar full of people that we was going to be in People Magazine. Sheen turned around from the bar and said "let me know when you're on the cover".
lol
Old 09-16-2013, 03:40 PM   #132
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

Twice a year IGN.com does an article listing just about every show and when it starts. I always bookmark that article when I see it and check it once a week. I then set recordings for shows that look interesting.

I have set recordings for Dads and Brooklyn Nine-Nine. I've heard bad things about Dads and to be honest, just from the title I don't expect to like it. I'm going to watch it because it is the Family Guy guy.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:37 PM   #133
jamesl

I know many people are tired of Bones, but I'm excited for both of these tonight

Sep 16, 2013

Bones
Season 9 : Episode 1
The Secrets in the Proposal: In the Season 9 premiere, the remains of a State Department accountant are found in a hotel's air-conditioning unit, but the investigation takes an unusual turn when Booth discovers that an old Army pal, who's now a CIA agent, is also looking for clues. Meanwhile, Booth seeks advice from a friend and former priest about his relationship with Brennan, who is uncertain about their future together.

Sleepy Hollow
Pilot Season 1, Episode 1
In the series premiere of this update of Washington Irving's classic tale, Ichabod Crane wakes up in the 21st century but finds his 18th-century nemesis, the Headless Horseman, has also come along for the ride. After a local sheriff is killed, Crane teams up with Det. Abbie Mills to sort out the mystery and its historical implications, though her supervisor is skeptical of all the supernatural shenanigans
jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:52 PM   #134
marksman
ID-10-T

I watched the goldbergs on the abc app and besides a tiny bit of nostalgia and two chuckles it was not very good. Biggest issue with it was it was not funny. This is a problem for a comedy.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:47 AM   #135
TonyD79

Quote:

Big Brother?

Grace Under Fire
Dharma and Greg
Mike and Molly
BBT
Other than the typo, the only show I did not like was dharma and greg. Largely because Jenna Elfman usually gets on my nerves.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:54 AM   #136
TonyD79

Quote:
I get the tablet edition as part of my "Next Issue" subscription.

$15/month. All the magazines you can read.
Thanks for the tip. I did the one month free trial and got the EW issue. They don't even want a credit card for the trial. Good selection of mags.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:08 AM   #137
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

i streamed the trophy wife pilot last night. the kids were ok, but the rest of the supporting cast was lacking, all but one of the story lines were way too familiar (overused), and the primary reasons i watched, bradley whitford and marcia gay hardin, were disappointing.

for me, it was a combination of writing and premise - oh, well, another sp bites the dust.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:33 AM   #138
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
i streamed the trophy wife pilot last night. the kids were ok, but the rest of the supporting cast was lacking, all but one of the story lines were way too familiar (overused), and the primary reasons i watched, bradley whitford and marcia gay hardin, were disappointing.

for me, it was a combination of writing and premise - oh, well, another sp bites the dust.
I like Bradley Whitford, but not sure there's enough in this show to have me watch. Actually Marcia Gay Hardin kind of cancels out Bradley. I can't stand her.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:53 AM   #139
Lori
Social Defective

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Thanks for the tip. I did the one month free trial and got the EW issue. They don't even want a credit card for the trial. Good selection of mags.
I love it. It's like I pay for People and EW and Food and Wine and get 97 magazines for free.

Plus, with the payments spread out like that, I don't feel the hit of the $130 People sub all at once.

Plus, no magazines to throw away.

It's win all around for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is not the size of our army that shall lead us to victory. It is the undeniable righteousness of our cause... "--JAB
Old 09-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #140
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
I love it. It's like I pay for People and EW and Food and Wine and get 97 magazines for free.

Plus, with the payments spread out like that, I don't feel the hit of the $130 People sub all at once.
I don't think it would make sense for me to get it... I have People @ $26.30 a quarter (through Amazon) and EW is $25 a year. Even though People is expensive, I'm still saving $50 a year. If I read more magazines it would be good, but as it is I have a lot of build up of People. I clearly need to get to the gym more (it's my gym magazine) or stop watching Netflix instead when I am there.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:58 PM   #141
Lori
Social Defective

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
I don't think it would make sense for me to get it... I have People @ $26.30 a quarter (through Amazon) and EW is $25 a year. Even though People is expensive, I'm still saving $50 a year. If I read more magazines it would be good, but as it is I have a lot of build up of People. I clearly need to get to the gym more (it's my gym magazine) or stop watching Netflix instead when I am there.
Yeah, you'd be paying an extra $50 a year, and if those are the only two magazines you read, it doesn't make sense.

For me, there are a ton of magazines that I buy 3 or 4 times a year, and pay newsstand prices for, just because there's an article I want to read. US, Vanity Fair, Oprah, Time, Newsweek, Rolling Stone...and now, I can read them whenever I want. Worth it for me, probably not worth it for everyone.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:46 PM   #142
Doh

I like to get discount magazine subscriptions-- you can find a lot of good mags for $4 or $5 a year, but we only have one ipad...
Old 09-17-2013, 02:08 PM   #143
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

We had a three month free trial of NextIssue and, while it's useful, we still pay for the print edition of Entertainment Weekly (which gives us free access to the digital copy). Actually, I usually renew using MyCokeRewards, so effectively, it doesn't really cost anything.

I picked up a sub to Motor Trend about a year ago and it was FOUR years for $13 and I regularly get a free year's sub to Motor Cyclist.

So, apart from the wife's copie of O and Redbook, we find that it's not worth paying $15 a month for the full package. If things change, then sure, we'll go for it.

Oh, and you can install the app and log in from more than one device, so we can both read EW at the same time if we want.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:18 PM   #144
TonyD79

Yeah, I am not sure I will stay with it. It was useful in that my EW sub has been up for a while and I may not renew. Getting the issue free was pretty good. I will see how much I read from it in the month and decide. Still a great find.

(BTW, there is a $10 a month version with fewer magazines.)
Old 09-17-2013, 09:37 PM   #145
laria
Librocubicularist

Man, I'm totally already behind! I was going to spend this week with my EW and my spreadsheet and my remote setting up season passes, and FOX went and already had 2 nights of shows without me!
Old 09-17-2013, 10:09 PM   #146
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
Man, I'm totally already behind! I was going to spend this week with my EW and my spreadsheet and my remote setting up season passes, and FOX went and already had 2 nights of shows without me!
You ARE behind! I spent the weekend getting ready. Shows locked & loaded.

I also had to set up an entire new TiVo, my Roamio Pro. Had to recreate 75 SPs and about 50 WL. Then set up a MINI. Then take my Elite and turn it into my wife's TiVo. Which mainly entails removing all the Kathy Morgan Wishlists.

get on it girl!
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:42 AM   #147
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

So far I have seen 3 of the new shows

Sleepy Hollow - I don't think i will be watching.

Dads - 4 actors I like a lot in a very unfunny comedy show. I did not even make it through it.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - On the fence about this one there were some good moments or maybe the bar was set so low by Dads that anything would look good in comparison.

Tivos new shows category is working out well so far. Record the category and forget about it. No need to set up multiple season passes. Watch the shows as they pop up and decide which ones get an actual season pass.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:04 AM   #148
alyssa

*loving* the tivo feature of recording new shows! and it's sister feature of listing the returning shows- I had to dump all my SP's from last year due to a hardware issue so i needed to recreate them.

found this printable calendar to be handy.
http://tvline.com/2013/07/17/fall-tv...dar-printable/

For all your Comic-Con needs.

alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:20 PM   #149
b_scott
TiVo Fan

I watched Sleepy Hollow and liked it. Very surprised.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:43 PM   #150
Beryl

Fall TV Season 2013 - Any shows really interest you?

My complete TV list both old and new. I'll drop many of the new shows will drop after the pilot. (I cut/pasted from a review link -- sorry for the all caps)
THE ARSENIO HALL SHOW
SONS OF ANARCHY
SLEEPY HOLLOW
THE WATSONS GO TO BIRMINGHAM
HOSTAGES
PERSON OF INTEREST
LAW & ORDER: SVU
THE GOOD WIFE
SCANDAL
AMERICAN HORROR STORY: COVEN (New for me because of Kathy Bates & Angela Bassett joining the cast)
THE WALKING DEAD
ALMOST HUMAN
MOB CITY
THE 100
IRONSIDE
SONS OF ANARCHY
LUTHER
THE BLACKLIST

Edited - dropped a sitcom after 5 minutes of the pilot. I don't know why I keep trying sitcoms.