TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-16-2013, 09:22 AM   #121
JohnB1000

One thing with the phone call. At first it wasn't clear that people in the room could hear what Walt was saying but clearly they could. Surely Marie knows what was said was untrue so will she hold this against Skylar ? I am guessing Jesse doesn't know that much about Skylar's involvement so it's Marie who knows. I am thinking Marie now believes Skylar was coerced to some degree + she's the only family Marie has left.

Despite obviously wanting to see how it ends I am not left desperate for next week like I have been the last few. No specific cliffhanger.

I wouldn't worry about Walt on the side of the road, that was really just a plot device, you had to see him there to know where he had gone. It seems odd though that such an efficient "Disappearing" service would give him a new ID with the same birthdate !!!.

Mostly forgotten this week but Lydia needs to factor into the resolution. She can't just be forgotten about.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:23 AM   #122
wouldworker
_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
(Not sure if you're serious, but...) I was wondering about the baby. It was pretty obvious that the verbal stuff was dubbed. I wonder if there was any computer enhancement on the facial expressions? Because that scene did seem far too perfect for, well, somebody who is pretty much incapable of taking direction.
I thought the same thing. If it was really a baby saying those lines they must have spent many hours getting her to do it or they lucked out and found a baby who is a great mimic. More likely, I think, is that they dubbed her voice and the mouth movements were just normal babbling. If you've seen those "ridiculously bad lip reading" videos you know that your brain gives a lot of leeway on matching mouth shapes to the sounds that are supposedly coming out of the mouth. As long as some phonemes match the corresponding mouth shapes you let a lot of mismatches go by.
wouldworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:25 AM   #123
MonsterJoe
salty meat-poles

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB1000 View Post
One thing with the phone call. At first it wasn't clear that people in the room could hear what Walt was saying but clearly they could. Surely Marie knows what was said was untrue so will she hold this against Skylar ? I am guessing Jesse doesn't know that much about Skylar's involvement so it's Marie who knows. I am thinking Marie now believes Skylar was coerced to some degree + she's the only family Marie has left.

Despite obviously wanting to see how it ends I am not left desperate for next week like I have been the last few. No specific cliffhanger.

I wouldn't worry about Walt on the side of the road, that was really just a plot device, you had to see him there to know where he had gone. It seems odd though that such an efficient "Disappearing" service would give him a new ID with the same birthdate !!!.

Mostly forgotten this week but Lydia needs to factor into the resolution. She can't just be forgotten about.

She doesn't know that though - even moments (hours?) before at the car wash, Marie expressed her opinion that she was sure that Skyler had been coerced to some degree.

I really like the Todd character. Every bit as rotten as his uncle, but with just a glimmer of remorse that is constantly being subdued by the needs of the present.

You just know he saved Jessie (it puts the lotion in the basket) to impress Lydia by getting her higher quality product.
MonsterJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:25 AM   #124
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

did they say that baby was 18 months old? that can't be, right?
Anubys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:46 AM   #125
SugarBowl
Roamio Plus

does Jessie know how to make the mustard gas ?
SugarBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:51 AM   #126
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterJoe View Post
...I think Heisenberg/Walter White is my favorite TV character ever.....
Second in my opinion to Vic Mackey...
Bierboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:52 AM   #127
markp99
TakoKichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
I heard 18 months. Not sure if that conflicts with the plot timeline.
markp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:56 AM   #128
BitbyBlit

Quote:
This has been the most satisfying final season to any show I've ever watched.
Agreed. I can't think of any other show that has consistently gotten better each season. Most other shows either start going downhill or at best level off.

As sad as it might be that the show is going to be over soon, at least it is ending on a high note instead of at a point when we are all tired of it. And as we feel the pain of losing the show, I'm sure the cast and crew are feeling the joy of finally being able to talk about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
Hardly. Calling 911 on his crazed father he just found out is a wanted drug lord and responsible for killing Uncle Hank, saying Walt pulled the knife... and that's "breaking bad"? Please.
It doesn't matter how bad his father is, that doesn't justify lying to the police. The whole point of the show is that the ends do not justify the means. He wanted the police to go after his father, and did not want to implicate his mother at all. That's why he altered the situation to make her completely innocent in all of it. He was willing to lie to protect what was left of his family.

That lie is what made Walt realize that he had completely lost his son. And while it paled in comparison to what he had done, I think he saw a part of himself in his son, and that scared him. I wonder if his phone call to Skylar wasn't just about giving her an out, but also painting himself as such a bad guy for his son to ensure that he would not go down a similar path.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:01 AM   #129
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitbyBlit View Post
...It doesn't matter how bad his father is, that doesn't justify lying to the police. The whole point of the show is that the ends do not justify the means. He wanted the police to go after his father, and did not want to implicate his mother at all. That's why he altered the situation to make her completely innocent in all of it. He was willing to lie to protect what was left of his family.

That lie is what made Walt realize that he had completely lost his son. And while it paled in comparison to what he had done, I think he saw a part of himself in his son, and that scared him. I wonder if his phone call to Skylar wasn't just about giving her an out, but also painting himself as such a bad guy for his son to ensure that he would not go down a similar path.
I still wouldn't call that action "breaking bad". Yes, he lied, but that's FAR from "breaking bad"...
Old 09-16-2013, 10:04 AM   #130
nyny523
Oy

He lied to protect his mother.

Not breaking bad.

That scene was heart wrenching - seeing the son that idolized his father come to terms with the truth of who his father really was. Then the baby snatching and Skylar's panic - OMG. I was crying.

Simply. Devistating.

The writing and the acting in this show will be sorely missed...
Old 09-16-2013, 10:08 AM   #131
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigmo View Post
How brilliant of it of Todd to make sure he can keep Jesse around at least long enough to learn how to cook better? Can't wait to see how this finishes.
I disagree. They have $70million....time to vanish, not cook.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:10 AM   #132
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJay View Post
Last cook... Then again I also heard "gaunt."
I know you're joking. It was clearly Let's cook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeegan View Post
Rewatching the phone call..
<snip>
That phone call is one of the all time great scenes in this series.
One of the greatest scenes of one of the greatest episodes of one of the greatest series ever. When an episode physically moves you, it worked. A visceral gut-wrenching hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeegan View Post
One final thought before going to bed..

(And this is NOT a defense of Walt.. just a defense of character consistency)

After rewatching it, the harsh harsh harsh act of not only executing Jesse but also rubbing salt in the wound by telling him about Jane can be seen as a pure rage lashing out by Walt because of what has just happened.

He was tricked by Jesse to drive out into the desert. He was betrayed by Jesse who went to Hank. Hank (a member of his family) was just killed. And now Walt is losing most of his money to guys with swastikas on their hands. All of that happened as a result of Jesse calling him to the desert. Because of that call, Hank is dead now. Rage.

Before he ordered Jesse's death but said he was like family and to make it quick and painless. Now he wanted it to hurt - because of rage.

I think that the fact that it's RAGE that makes him tell Jesse about Jane (rather than it being "Walt is just pure evil now - that's all he does") makes other scenes still possible (like him saving his family on that call). I find it far more compelling to see Walt as someone who's done awful awful things but still thinks the same way that others think, rather than that he's become some unrecognizable foreign monster of evil that no one can even slightly comprehend.

G'night.
Agree. This show would have been over if Jesse had just shut up. Heisenberg is retired, Meth Damon is cooking, Saul gets his spinoff, Skyler becomes a car-wash tycoon, yada yada. Jesse's inability to STFU caused ALL of this. Hence Walt's rage. RAGE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Deficit View Post
WOW! All I can say is that this is how you end a great show!!!
And to think we have two episodes left!

Quote:
I think Heisenberg/Walter White is my favorite TV character ever. What do you do after this if you're Cranston???
I read an interview with him a few weeks ago, and he talked about how this has turned into the greatest character he will ever play. He knows he will never find a role like this again, that sometimes lightning strikes, and he was lucky enough to be there when it did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
Also: while it may sound odd to say it, I thought Holly did some mighty fine acting in this episode. Normally, small children totally kill the moment, for me (e.g. Harrison, on Dexter - that kid couldn't act his way off a treadmill). But in this episode, Holly totally nailed her performance.
She nailed that "...mama"
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:15 AM   #133
MonsterJoe
salty meat-poles

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post

She nailed that "...mama"
Pretty freaky after having watched Doctor Who's "The Empty Child" episode just minutes before...
MonsterJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:19 AM   #134
BitbyBlit

Quote:
I wouldn't worry about Walt on the side of the road, that was really just a plot device, you had to see him there to know where he had gone.
Plus, we don't know how long he had been waiting. I imagine that he didn't roll the barrel there himself, so he must have gotten dropped off (most likely by Saul or one of his men). And since the "eraser" was known for his punctuality, he could have been dropped off less than a minute before we saw him sitting there.

It will be interesting to see what happens to Saul in the next episode. Hank and Gomez taking Huell is going to put the DEA's focus on him even if Huell and Skylar don't talk. So I wonder if Saul is also going to go into hiding.

Quote:
It seems odd though that such an efficient "Disappearing" service would give him a new ID with the same birthdate !!!.
There are only 365 days in a year, so having the same birthday wouldn't make it any easier to find him. And conversely, having a different birthday wouldn't add any additional protection if other things led to him. Thus, he might as well keep the birthday he is familiar with.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:44 AM   #135
uncdrew
Annie 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
I was amazed that, with every law enforcement official looking for Walt, he was able to sit on the side of a street with bags (and a barrel full of money) and NOT be noticed....in broad daylight. I don't know how long he was there, but it had to be awhile since Holly was dropped off at night, and he was picked up during daylight...
My list of nit-picks:

1. Walt sitting on side of fairly main/busy street while the entire city is looking for him. [Perhaps was only a few minutes and Saul's guys drove pick-up away]

2. Walt rolls barrel and finds a house? Wow, what luck? [Certainly possible]

3. Walt knows the right switch to flip to make a firetruck's lights go off and those don't get noticed immediately [couldn't he have just set Holly down next to the truck?]

4. Something left me uneasy with Uncle Buck stealing Walt's money. Obviously they're opportunistic thieves, but still they were doing a job for Walt and then just robbed him.

Otherwise an ok epidsode. I give it a six.

uncdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:56 AM   #136
Fahtrim

My big and only issue with this episode is that Skylar just took Marie's word that Walt was arrested and then told Junior. Is she really that dumb? What happened to "trust but verify"

I guess you can claim that she just plain "knew" Marie wasn't lying, but still no proof for something that HUGE and she just out and tells Junior right then.
Fahtrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:32 AM   #137
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncdrew View Post
My list of nit-picks:

1. <snip>
2. <snip>
3. <snip>
4. <snip>
Otherwise an ok epidsode. I give it a six.

to your list.
My nit picks: nit-pickers. Especially about such an amazing episode!!
(but you're entitled to your ridiculously impossible standards)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahtrim View Post
My big and only issue with this episode is that Skylar just took Marie's word that Walt was arrested and then told Junior. Is she really that dumb? What happened to "trust but verify"

I guess you can claim that she just plain "knew" Marie wasn't lying, but still no proof for something that HUGE and she just out and tells Junior right then.
Just as Walt was fooled by Jesse's phone call about finding and burning the money because he was called to action before he could calmly process what was happening, Skyler was compelled by Marie's assertiveness in her claims. She knew that she hadn't seen Walt since he ran from the car wash in a panic, and she had just left him a message on the cell phone when Marie arrived.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:36 AM   #138
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

uncdrew found it hard to believe that mass murdering meth dealers found $80 million and stole it

The only part hard to believe is that they left $11 million of it!
Anubys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:40 AM   #139
pmyers

Some of my thoughts nitpicks:

Why would you even bother packing clothes when you have cash? Personal items I could understand like pictures, but not clothes.

Todd is crazy for still wanting to cook after getting all that money.

I was floored when Walt gave up Pinkman!
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:50 AM   #140
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by markp99 View Post
I heard 18 months. Not sure if that conflicts with the plot timeline.
There's no way the baby's 18 months old. Walt turned 51 in the pilot, when Skylar was still pregnant (as seen in the flashback). He's 52 in the flash forward, so this is sometime late that year. At best, Holly's got to be 11 months old.

Quote:
Pretty freaky after having watched Doctor Who's "The Empty Child" episode just minutes before...

I'm firmly of the belief that this is how Family Ties should have ended.

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:54 AM   #141
nyny523
Oy

Didn't he turn 50 in the pilot and then 51 later (when Skylar was not happy with him), then 52 in the flashback? I thought there were 3 plates with bacon numbers...

Am I wrong? Bueller?
Old 09-16-2013, 11:54 AM   #142
Hank
AC•FTW

I think he turned 50 in the pilot... because he turned 51 in the middle of the series when Skyler begrudgingly broke the bacon on his eggs for 51.

eta: I really doubt the show runners would make a gaff as big as that in this show.

Try my new
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:55 AM   #143
HoosierFan
Poker nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchance View Post
There's no way the baby's 18 months old. Walt turned 51 in the pilot, when Skylar was still pregnant (as seen in the flashback). He's 52 in the flash forward, so this is sometime late that year. At best, Holly's got to be 11 months old.

Greg
He was actually 50 in the pilot.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:00 PM   #144
bsnelson
I'm an Android, baby

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahtrim View Post
Marie wasn't giving her a choice. If Skylar didn't tell Flynn, she (Marie) was going to do it. Now, in retrospect, that may have been better, because Flynn might well have been less likely to accept Marie's news, as surely even he knows that she blows things out of proportion etc. Skylar could have just sat there and said "I have no idea what she's talking about".

Either way, I'll echo the masses and say this was really an intense episode.

Brad
bsnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:05 PM   #145
Hank
AC•FTW

According to the writer of the episode's twitter feed, she said "Vince said to 'go big or go home'."

Try my new
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:15 PM   #146
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
I think he turned 50 in the pilot... because he turned 51 in the middle of the series when Skyler begrudgingly broke the bacon on his eggs for 51.

eta: I really doubt the show runners would make a gaff as big as that in this show.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierFan View Post
He was actually 50 in the pilot.
You know, you're right. Carry on.

Edit: Dunno what I was thinking, even the episode is titled Fifty One. It sounds like 18 months is right on track.

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
Old 09-16-2013, 12:16 PM   #147
nyny523
Oy

Quote:
You know, you're right. Carry on.

Greg
What am I, chopped liver?
Old 09-16-2013, 12:38 PM   #148
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny523 View Post
What am I, chopped liver?
Oh no, you're much nicer looking than chopped liver. I guess I didn't see your post, sorry about that.

Meanwhile, Aaron Paul posted this to Instagram earlier with a spoiler alert tag. I guess I better tag it.

Spoiler:

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
Old 09-16-2013, 12:39 PM   #149
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
...Aaron Paul posted this to Instagram earlier with a spoiler alert tag. I guess I better tag it.

Spoiler:
Wow....just.....wow...
Old 09-16-2013, 12:44 PM   #150
uncdrew
Annie 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Second in my opinion to Vic Mackey...
...and behind Hawkeye Pierce.

Just my personal opinion. I too put Mackey higher than Walt by a smidge. But that's a different thread...
uncdrew is offline   Reply With Quote