TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-16-2013, 08:22 AM   #1
kbmb

Roamio Plus - All tuners on same channel

Any idea why this morning, all 6 tuners on my Roamio Plus were tuned to the same channel?

It didn't reboot overnight as far as I know....the DVR Diagnostics Cable Card Time since OOB tune start was 146000 seconds.

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:23 AM   #2
aaronwt
HD Addict

Do you record suggestions? That will also cause all tuners to be on the same channel.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:25 AM   #3
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Do you record suggestions? That will also cause all tuners to be on the same channel.
Yes I do record suggestions. Ah, so this will reset all tuners?

-Kevin
Old 09-16-2013, 08:34 AM   #4
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
Yes I do record suggestions. Ah, so this will reset all tuners?

-Kevin
Someone else posted in another thread that when the suggestion is finished recording, it puts the tuner on the last channel you had it on. So if suggestions are recording on all six tuners, they will end up on the same channel.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:42 AM   #5
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Someone else posted in another thread that when the suggestion is finished recording, it puts the tuner on the last channel you had it on. So if suggestions are recording on all six tuners, they will end up on the same channel.
Interesting. Thanks for the info. I'll have to watch and see what it continues to do. Weird thing was the channel it had all the tuners on, I wasn't watching....it's a low def sundance channel.

I more just wanted to make sure it didn't reboot.....and the diagnostics info seems to confirm that.

-Kevin
Old 09-16-2013, 08:51 AM   #6
markp99
TakoKichi

I've seen as many as 3 tuners tuned to the same channel but not recording.
markp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:59 AM   #7
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp99 View Post
I've seen as many as 3 tuners tuned to the same channel but not recording.
Yeah, none were recording this morning....all just tuned to 201.

-Kevin
Old 09-16-2013, 09:12 AM   #8
anthonymoody

Funny this is what was happening with me yesterday though I'm pretty sure I told it not to record suggestions. I created another thread about switching bt 2 channels but not getting any buffer. Turns out TiVo was using a single tuner bt the 2 channels. Every other tuner was on the same channel, one that I watch but not one that was recording. And like I said I'm pretty sure I set it not to record suggestions. Hmm. I will double check that.

Okay: Confirmed I am not recording suggestions.

I find this default behavior - where it uses one tuner to change channels unless the other channel you're going to is already on another tuner - bassackwards.

IMO, it should use all tuners that are not otherwise recording something you've specified to change channels. It should do so FIFO style sequentially.

So for example, if you're not recording anything, you should be able to change to six different channels before losing a buffer on any of them. On the 7th channel change, if to a 7th channel, the very first channel you tuned would drop off the list, replaced by the 7th.

I guess (hope?) some thought was given to this by TiVo and that there is some logic to the default they set, but I can't figure it.

Last edited by anthonymoody : 09-16-2013 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Confirmed I have it set to not record suggestions.
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 01:49 AM   #9
LionelHutz590

I just upgraded to the Roamio Plus and have noticed the same issue. I'm not recording suggestions either. Anyone heard any info on this?
LionelHutz590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:38 AM   #10
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Are you sure your TiVo didn't reboot? With or without suggestions, the only time I see all tuners on the same channel is after a reboot. Perhaps you received the summer update 20.4.2.

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:22 AM   #11
mwacosta

I found the tuners on my Roamio all tuned to the same channel at least three times since the upgrade to 20.4.2. I don't record suggestions so I don't really see this happen unless the Roamio reboots. I've never seen this many reboots in such a short period of time for any previous versions of the software. It's probably a bug in 20.4.2.
mwacosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:26 AM   #12
kbmb

For anyone wondering if the Roamio rebooted, just go into the DVR diagnostics and check the Time Since OOB Tune Start, it'll be in seconds and can give you a good idea on if it rebooted itself.

I still get this behavior on both Tivos, but I do have suggestions turned on. I was diagnosing another issue recently where I turned suggestions off, and the channel didn't auto change then.

-Kevin
Old 07-25-2014, 09:19 PM   #13
mattack

I do have suggestions turned on, even though I effectively never watch them.. Even _with_ a free space meter nowadays, I just can't quite give up the extra bit of info that "it's recording suggestions, so it really thinks there is free space".. (If we could power DOWN a tivo that wasn't recording _my_ shows, then I would gladly give up suggestions... but it's on already..)

Anyway, yeah, I notice this.. The only times I regularly use live TV buffering is for CNN and sometimes CSPAN (as a backup when CNN has lame shows on), to listen to as background noise.. and in the morning I VERY often find MANY if not all tuners on CNN or CSPAN.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 12:12 AM   #14
LionelHutz590

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
For anyone wondering if the Roamio rebooted, just go into the DVR diagnostics and check the Time Since OOB Tune Start, it'll be in seconds and can give you a good idea on if it rebooted itself.

I still get this behavior on both Tivos, but I do have suggestions turned on. I was diagnosing another issue recently where I turned suggestions off, and the channel didn't auto change then.

-Kevin
Checked that and it says it was about 3 hours ago (10,885 seconds). Also checked software version and it's only saying 20.4.1.
LionelHutz590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:04 PM   #15
Ben_Jamin75

I always thought this was tivo's way of reducing hard drive wear and tear etc.
Normally all 4 (or 6) tuners are actively tuned, sending four (or six) streams to the hard drive to buffer. If all of the tuners are set the the same channel, I would assume it is only maintaining one buffer.
Ben_Jamin75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:06 PM   #16
mattack

Nope, it's definitely a separate buffer.. or at least it *CAN* be a separate buffer.. I have had CNN starting at 8:00 on one tuner, and go back to (made up #) 7:42 on another tuner.. It changed channels after a different recording finished.

(I give the "or at least it *CAN*" case, since I could IMAGINE them doing enough work to make this work.. but it seems very hard to get all of the edge cases, like I mentioned, to work properly... If they really wanted to reduce hard drive wear and tear, they'd let me turn off recording when I wasn't actively recording -- my ~10+ year old hard drive/dvd recorder does that.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote