TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-28-2013, 04:21 PM   #1
Dan203
Super Moderator

Collections - An easy way to record new fall shows

Not many people realize this feature exists, and since we're likely to see a lot of people moving up from S3 units, where the feature wasn't available, to the Roamio I thought I'd start a thread about it.

In the Browse section there are these things called Collections. These are lists of programs based on various criteria, some of which are actually maintained by real humans. These collections can be setup to auto-record just like a Season pass.

This time of year there is a collection for New Fall Shows. By setting it to auto-record you'll get all the new shows without having to manually keep track of when they start, what night they're on, what channel they're on, etc... If you decide you like a show it's easy to add a real SP for it from the My Shows list. (you can even do this from a remote TiVo or Mini)

Typically what I do is I set up the collection to record. By November I decide which shows I like and set SPs for them, then I cancel the collection. It works great for discovering new shows without having to wade through the guide or keep track on a website like Futoncritic.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:50 PM   #2
JohnnyO
Crimper

As someone moving up from a Series 3, I thank you!
JohnnyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:47 PM   #3
mattack

also, others have mentioned using an autorecording wishlist for the keyword 'pilot'. (and/or maybe premiere?)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:13 PM   #4
tom22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Not many people realize this feature exists, and since we're likely to see a lot of people moving up from S3 units, where the feature wasn't available, to the Roamio I thought I'd start a thread about it.

In the Browse section there are these things called Collections. These are lists of programs based on various criteria, some of which are actually maintained by real humans. These collections can be setup to auto-record just like a Season pass.

This time of year there is a collection for New Fall Shows. By setting it to auto-record you'll get all the new shows without having to manually keep track of when they start, what night they're on, what channel they're on, etc... If you decide you like a show it's easy to add a real SP for it from the My Shows list. (you can even do this from a remote TiVo or Mini)

Typically what I do is I set up the collection to record. By November I decide which shows I like and set SPs for them, then I cancel the collection. It works great for discovering new shows without having to wade through the guide or keep track on a website like Futoncritic.

Hey .. now that is something pretty cool !

One of the things I've loved and come to rely on since 2000 and my 1 set, (upgraded again in 2006) is TIVO Suggestions. I would say half of the Shows I watch come from TIVO suggestions (and thats been so for 13 years)

If I upgrade.. will I be able to fine tune TIVO suggestions myself. Like for example.. can I tell it I like Pac Ten and SEC football games and have it prioritize its choices to reflect my input preference?

Also... is there anything tied to the Romaio box that makes the TIVO selection a bit smarter.... I mean.. you certainly have access to gross data on what football games have been selected by the most TIVO users.. I've had the TIVO record something like a Army vs Nevada St game when a huge rivalry game between 2 unbeaten teams that's earned a prime time slot national broadcast. I mean.. TIVO selections is doing me a "favor" by recording anything at all.. sort of.... I sort of rely on it to pick me good programs and when it fails like that it.. well its like a servant that doesn't deserver a raise (TIVO has made us Kings of our TVS.. thats where the servant technology comes from)
tom22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:47 AM   #5
brianric

Quote:
Thank you.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:00 AM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom22 View Post
Hey .. now that is something pretty cool !

One of the things I've loved and come to rely on since 2000 and my 1 set, (upgraded again in 2006) is TIVO Suggestions. I would say half of the Shows I watch come from TIVO suggestions (and thats been so for 13 years)

If I upgrade.. will I be able to fine tune TIVO suggestions myself. Like for example.. can I tell it I like Pac Ten and SEC football games and have it prioritize its choices to reflect my input preference?

Also... is there anything tied to the Romaio box that makes the TIVO selection a bit smarter.... I mean.. you certainly have access to gross data on what football games have been selected by the most TIVO users.. I've had the TIVO record something like a Army vs Nevada St game when a huge rivalry game between 2 unbeaten teams that's earned a prime time slot national broadcast. I mean.. TIVO selections is doing me a "favor" by recording anything at all.. sort of.... I sort of rely on it to pick me good programs and when it fails like that it.. well its like a servant that doesn't deserver a raise (TIVO has made us Kings of our TVS.. thats where the servant technology comes from)
Collections are different then Suggestions. Collections are basically lists of programs based on specific criteria they have in common, such as 4 start movies, new fall shows, etc... that you can either manually browse or setup to auto record like a Season Pass.

Suggestions are controlled by thumbs. When you give thumbs up or thumbs down to a show that's what effects the suggestions engine and determines what it records. Every time you setup a new recording or SP that show is automatically given 1 thumb. If you want to weight your suggestions to a specific type of program you should find those programs and give them 2 or 3 thumbs, and if there is something you don't like then give those programs thumbs down.

There was some information a while back that TiVo might start using aggregated data to compare you to other users and then use that data to effect suggestions. However I'm not sure if that ever actually made it into the product or not.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:14 AM   #7
tom22

Quote:
Collections are different then Suggestions. Collections are basically lists of programs based on specific criteria they have in common, such as 4 start movies, new fall shows, etc... that you can either manually browse or setup to auto record like a Season Pass.

Suggestions are controlled by thumbs. When you give thumbs up or thumbs down to a show that's what effects the suggestions engine and determines what it records. Every time you setup a new recording or SP that show is automatically given 1 thumb. If you want to weight your suggestions to a specific type of program you should find those programs and give them 2 or 3 thumbs, and if there is something you don't like then give those programs thumbs down.

There was some information a while back that TiVo might start using aggregated data to compare you to other users and then use that data to effect suggestions. However I'm not sure if that ever actually made it into the product or not.
That could be useful.

My Tivo's have had Keyword searches to find shows that contained a key word. I never really figured out how to use that effectively though...mostly I think because I didn't really get any sort of notification of when something was recorded because it fit my criteria. I wasn't any huge deal.. I don't expect everything.. but I sort of expect continual iteration on features....maybe that one was cumbersome and better served with the groups... or is it still there on the Roamio ?
Old 08-29-2013, 01:18 AM   #8
Dan203
Super Moderator

Wish Lists are still there. Collections are similar to Wish Lists except the shows that end up in the list are controlled by TiVo.

This is the next iteration of what they use to call Guru Guides. Basically the list is maintained by someone at TiVo, or some algorithm on their server, and your TiVo just records anything on the list it can find in your local guide. Collections are a lot more accurate then Wish Lists because they can be based on criteria that are not exposed to us via Wish Lists.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:27 AM   #9
jaredmwright

TiVo Elite here, trying to add the collections presents an error. It looks like it did add the season pass, but since it takes so long to add, I presume it times out. Anyone else have this issue? Thinking more about a Roamio in the future to get improved performance, but waiting until they work out all of the small issues and follow through with an app eco system.
DirecTV HR22 HDMI/ETHERNET & Slingbox Solo
jaredmwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:01 AM   #10
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredmwright View Post
TiVo Elite here, trying to add the collections presents an error. It looks like it did add the season pass, but since it takes so long to add, I presume it times out. Anyone else have this issue? Thinking more about a Roamio in the future to get improved performance, but waiting until they work out all of the small issues and follow through with an app eco system.
I had the same problem on my Elite, but it did add and has since scheduled a few recordings, so it appears to be functioning.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:28 AM   #11
dwatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
also, others have mentioned using an autorecording wishlist for the keyword 'pilot'. (and/or maybe premiere?)
Is there a way to get the year added to the keyword "pilot" wishlist? That way it only finds only this years new shows. Otherwise you get a long list of shows about airplanes or their operators as well as new shows/reruns going back many years.
dwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:42 AM   #12
tom22

Quote:

The aggregated data factor would help filter TIVO suggestion picks better... as long as it didn't overide content preference. i.e. Tom would like a college football game.. lets pick the one 3 out of 4 other people who watch college football are watching.. but not "we usually give Tom science shows when there is available time but nearly 1/2 the nation is watching this basketball game.. maybe we'll ignore Tom's thumbs downs to basketball and give it to him anyway .

As to the suggestions.. yes it's been getting my thumbs up over the years but it has been having a hell of a time learning two very simple things :

- I like documentry crime shows like "coldcase files" but I never never want fictional dramas about the same topic... .. i

- I never never never want it to record feature movies for me (when I come back to my TV after not watching for 4 or 5 days I like a nice list of 30 or 40 shows in suggestions with hopefully a couple gems.. damn movies aren't only not what I want to watch but they also take up more space reducing my choices)

Being able to thumbs up Documentary three times and thumbs down Drama three times would be great (or a place to go online)

Three thumbs down to Feature Film category would also be great(they show the little Star rating for movies.. they must have a variable that disntiguishes a movie from anther show)

Again.. I have a series 3 .. I guess there is a chance there was a feature on the premier and now the Roamio that might have helped give suggestions a bit more to go on ?
Old 08-29-2013, 01:17 PM   #13
mdscott

Thanks Dan - much appreciated.

mds
Old 08-29-2013, 01:20 PM   #14
Doh

How are they different from Guru guides? Are guru guides still available for older units?
Old 08-29-2013, 02:30 PM   #15
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doh View Post
How are they different from Guru guides? Are guru guides still available for older units?
I think they replaced Guru Guides. I haven't owned an older unit in a long time so I'm not sure if they're still available on older units or not.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:38 PM   #16
mdscott

Guru Guides still available on S2 boxes (so I assume without checking on S3) -- TiVo Central/Find Programs/Kids Zone & Guru Guides.

There is limited choice with some overlap with Collections. Not surprisingly the UI leaves much to be desired.

michael
Old 08-29-2013, 02:39 PM   #17
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:

Thanks for the info!! I'll need to check it out.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:41 PM   #18
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdscott View Post
Guru Guides still available on S2 boxes (so I assume without checking on S3) -- TiVo Central/Find Programs/Kids Zone & Guru Guides.

There is limited choice with some overlap with Collections. Not surprisingly the UI leaves much to be desired.

michael
Do they have a Guru Guide for new Fall shows?
Old 08-29-2013, 02:46 PM   #19
mdscott

Quote:
Do they have a Guru Guide for new Fall shows?
They do not. Some of the shows may be contained within the LA Times or Miami Herald recommendation Guides - but I am not knowledgable enough to tell for sure.

michael
Old 08-29-2013, 02:53 PM   #20
mntvjunkie

I don't think the Guru guides have been updated for a long time, but I may be wrong on that as I don't use them.

Back when the S3 was still considered current, they did used to have Guru guides for things like Christmas specials, etc. but looking at them on my current S3 I only see the same guides I saw 3 years ago when I looked.
mntvjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:06 PM   #21
HazelW

I am trying to find "collections" on my XL4 with SD menus, but it does not seem to be there. Do I need to switch to HD menus to find it? If so, will the sp still be there when I go back to SD menus?
HazelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:55 PM   #22
Devx

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazelW View Post
I am trying to find "collections" on my XL4 with SD menus, but it does not seem to be there. Do I need to switch to HD menus to find it? If so, will the sp still be there when I go back to SD menus?
Yes, and the SP should not be different between HD and SDUI.
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:55 AM   #23
takeagabu

I found this and got excited until it started recording everything and I realized you can't alter the collection. If I could customize the collection by removing new shows that I don't want to see, then I would actually think it's useful.
takeagabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:58 AM   #24
Crrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeagabu View Post
I found this and got excited until it started recording everything and I realized you can't alter the collection. If I could customize the collection by removing new shows that I don't want to see, then I would actually think it's useful.
Agreed - my solution has been to create SP's for the shows I want to keep, and delete shows I don't from the ToDo list. In a few weeks, once all the SP's are set up, I can cancel the collection.
Not perfect, but good enough, I suppose.
Crrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:34 PM   #25
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crrink View Post

Agreed - my solution has been to create SP's for the shows I want to keep, and delete shows I don't from the ToDo list. In a few weeks, once all the SP's are set up, I can cancel the collection.
Not perfect, but good enough, I suppose.
This is what I'm doing. It's still much easir than finding all the new shows and. Creating season passes. I figure by the end of October I will know which shows I want to keep watching.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:35 PM   #26
Dan203
Super Moderator

I'm finding that this collection isn't picking up all the new shows, so I'm still forced to go through the guide and set stuff up manually. Oh well it's a good backup in case I miss something, but would be nice if it actually included everything.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:41 PM   #27
moyekj

In kmttg I implemented a "Season Premieres" tab that actually does a good job looking for new or returning show Premieres. It actually combs all the guide data (12 days forward by default) looking for episode and other information to figure it out. Since it can be time consuming you have to limit the channels for it to use for the search, but I use it all the time to find new shows. When search completes it shows you all new Premieres along with indication of which ones you have SPs for already on any of your TiVos. You can then schedule SPs right from the table on 1 or more TiVos for the ones you are interested in.
I run it once every few days to show me all new Season & Series Premieres so I don't have to research elsewhere on what the new shows are.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:56 PM   #28
Dan203
Super Moderator

That's interesting. You just cram all sorts of functionality into that program don't you?
Old 09-16-2013, 04:58 PM   #29
NJguy

As a new TiVo user I want to thank you for this post. Very useful. I was going through trying to see when all shows were on and set up a recording for them. THis makes it simple!
NJguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:16 PM   #30
moyekj

Quote:
That's interesting. You just cram all sorts of functionality into that program don't you?
Yes the "Remote" tab has all kinds of things RPC related - well beyond what the iOS/Android apps can do. Basically almost everything useful I found that can be done via RPC is there in some form or another.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote