Forum Jump

Old 09-15-2013, 11:24 PM   #61
nyny523
Oy

Holy.

Fracking.

Cow!!!

That was INTENSE.

It was just one thing after the other. You barely had time to catch your breath, let alone absorb it ll.

WOW!!!

And whomever was saying that Anna Gunn can't act needs to have their head examined!!!
Old 09-15-2013, 11:26 PM   #62
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

I'm watching Talking Bad....and now I know why I never watched it. Thought I'd give it a chance after such a good episode, but what a waste of time....mostly fluff and silliness.
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:38 PM   #63
ElJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
Loved Todd saying "let's cook" as he was putting the suit on.
Last cook... Then again I also heard "gaunt."
ElJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:39 PM   #64
Peter000

I feel like an idiot that I didn't get Walt's intention with that last phone call (until reading this thread), that he was trying to cover for Skylar. I just thought he had gone off the deep end. Pretty brilliant.

Anyway, the episodes just keep getting more and more intense! I can't imagine what we'll see next. Well, I can, but it will never be as good as what they've in store, that's for sure.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:41 PM   #65
phox_mulder
I get paid 2watch TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
I'm watching Talking Bad....and now I know why I never watched it. Thought I'd give it a chance after such a good episode, but what a waste of time....mostly fluff and silliness.
I've seen the last 3 episodes, and all I got from it was they say "we'll come back to that later", "we'll have more of that later", but they never do, just a lot of commercial breaks and selling of stuff on the website.

I did enjoy Samuel L. Jackson a couple weeks ago though.

phox

TiVo S3-65 HD Hours-Lifetime
TiVo HD 20 HD Hours
DirecTV HR21-700 80+ HD Hours
DirecTV HR20-100 80+ HD Hours
Harmony 880 Remote Control
phox_mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:43 PM   #66
JohnB1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny523 View Post

And whomever was saying that Anna Gunn can't act needs to have their head examined!!!
Who said that?
Old 09-15-2013, 11:47 PM   #67
The Flush
Anonymous User

It seemed like the shootout was over a lot quicker in this episode than in the last episode.
The Flush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:47 PM   #68
jkeegan

Quote:
I thought Skylar or Flynn was going to die from falling on the knife.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
I totally thought Skylar was gonna get stabbed.
Quote:
The shots earlier in the episode of the phone and the knife block and Skylar answering it. Then back to it again same shot - knives and phone, but this time with Skylar getting the chef's knife out.
As she was walking towards the camera I said out loud "which is she reaching for.. the gun or the phone? Which is more dangerous??"..

During the rolling around with the knife, I was so afraid.. but not directly of someone being stabbed, but more by the show using such an over-used predictable cliche.. I <I>knew</I> they wouldn't but I was afraid they just might (have someone stabbed). Glad that didn't happen.

seven syllables
(
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
they explain it all
jkeegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:49 PM   #69
jkeegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Dancing View Post
Why did Skylar believe Marie's story at the car wash at face value and confess everything? Marie could have easily been playing her. She should have said I want to speak to Walt or Hank before I tell you or Flynn anything.
I kept saying "Noooooooooo....." (in a harsh commanding way) at Skyler during the whole scene.. I totally agree, she shouldn't believe anything Marie says (although maybe it's such an inevitability in her mind that all the needed was for Marie to say it to believe it).

seven syllables
(
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
they explain it all
Old 09-15-2013, 11:51 PM   #70
john4200

I was hoping they would somehow fit in "Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!", but alas, it was only implied.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:57 PM   #71
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeegan View Post
I kept saying "Noooooooooo....." (in a harsh commanding way) at Skyler during the whole scene.. I totally agree, she shouldn't believe anything Marie says (although maybe it's such an inevitability in her mind that all the needed was for Marie to say it to believe it).
I also think Marie's haughty, arrogant, smug superiority really helped sell it.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:00 AM   #72
jkeegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I also think Marie's haughty, arrogant, smug superiority really helped sell it.
Agreed!

seven syllables
(
)
they explain it all
Old 09-16-2013, 12:03 AM   #73
dwells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
I agree about tonight's- it was way too silly after maybe the most dark, intense episode of TV ever
dwells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:17 AM   #74
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000 View Post
I feel like an idiot that I didn't get Walt's intention with that last phone call (until reading this thread), that he was trying to cover for Skylar. I just thought he had gone off the deep end. Pretty brilliant.
I didn't either. I mean, we had just seen Walt tell Jesse about Jane (harsh!!) moments after he asked Todd's uncle to finish the actual job he wanted him to do. (harsh!)

Walt gets home and when Skylar and the kids arrive, tells them to pack up and go. They refuse him. Then, Skylar turns on Walt. Goes after him with a knife. Actually slashes his hand. Walt goes after her. Instead of just getting the knife away from her, it really seems like he is about to kill her (harsh!!) until Junior gets involved.

So, yeah, I don't think it was too weird for me or others to think Walt was just going all total Heisenberg on everyone now. I mean, they REFUSED him. And Skylar tried to kill him. I think it was clear Skylar was no longer content with the situation.

jsmeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:19 AM   #75
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

Quote:
I totally thought Skylar was gonna get stabbed.
Me too. Holy bleep that was an intense hour of TV. RIP Gomey and Hank. Walk is a real POS!
Old 09-16-2013, 12:24 AM   #76
Hank
AC•FTW

I think under normal circumstances, in normal TV shows, we all would have picked up on Walt's final phone call.... but there were so many super intense things all happening at once (Hank dead, Jesse knows about Jane, Jesee being tortured, Walt kidnapping Holly, Walt Jr finding out, etc, etc) that that is a lot to process in the background while the show continues on pounding us with more stuff. Admittedly, I didn't fully catch on to the full meaning of the call, but I did feel a twinge of "um, Skyler would never say 'I'm sorry' to Walt like that" but I just didn't have enough mindspace to fully process that thought and the phone call. It was brilliant TV, but Vince sure didn't give us 10 seconds to think about a scene before dumping another huge scene on us.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:28 AM   #77
jkeegan

Plus, it did have to be convincing enough to fool police, prosecuting attorneys, and potentially juries. Having Holly helped sell it too (and it put Skyler in the right frame of mind for when the cops got there). She <I>felt</I> like the victim there - Walt just took her baby.

seven syllables
(
)
they explain it all
Old 09-16-2013, 12:29 AM   #78
Hank
AC•FTW

Also, up until this episode I really was rooting for Walt. Not anymore. He's just so total and completely evil with telling Jesse about Jane and letting the AB take him to beat the crap out of him and then kill him just like that. So cold and purely evil. Just moments after he's pleading for Hank's life.

But then there's a tiny part of me that thinks the flash-fowards are now Walt going back to face the AB and free Jesse from his enslavement and eventual murder. They ride off into the New Mexico sunset in a new RV.

But upthread is probably right, he's going back for his money.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:34 AM   #79
skumclown

Quote:
It seemed like the shootout was over a lot quicker in this episode than in the last episode.
I believe that last episode it was shown from multiple angles, making it appear to last a lot longer than it actually did. Common Hollywood trickery.
This episode had the real time shootout so that we knew there weren't just "bullets flying everywhere".

Also,

Holy Sh**!!
skumclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:42 AM   #80
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
Also, up until this episode I really was rooting for Walt. Not anymore. He's just so total and completely evil with telling Jesse about Jane and letting the AB take him to beat the crap out of him and then kill him just like that. So cold and purely evil. Just moments after he's pleading for Hank's life.

But then there's a tiny part of me that thinks the flash-fowards are now Walt going back to face the AB and free Jesse from his enslavement and eventual murder. They ride off into the New Mexico sunset in a new RV.

But upthread is probably right, he's going back for his money.

I was actually gonna get onto Team Walt once we knew Todd's Uncle and crew were gonna get Walt's money. But it was fleeting because of what happened after that.

Old 09-16-2013, 12:51 AM   #81
JohnB1000

I'm still a bit worried that the final 2eps are going to be about Walt v Jack, but Jesse is still around to be involved. I really did think he was a goner for a moment there.

I understand not immediately realizing what Walt was doing but after it went on and Skylar realized, it was just so obvious.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:56 AM   #82
BitbyBlit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeegan View Post
He did that for her. Of course he knew the police were there (he heard Walt Jr call them - that's why he fled alone). He called and yelled at her, giving her an out. He let her appear at least somewhat innocent (even if complicit to an extent). He yelled at her, and told her that she didn't obey him. He painted himself as the sole bad guy, to save his family.
And not only did he take the full blame for his operation, he took the blame for Hank and Gomez's deaths in order to keep the Aryan Brotherhood as far away from his family as possible.

Unfortunately, there's this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB1000 View Post
Jesse said no one else knows but Marie knows plenty and it can't be that easy to raid a cops house and steal stuff right after he is suspected to be murdered.
Jesse left Marie out of what he confessed to the Brotherhood in order to protect her, but somehow I suspect there is going to be a conflict.

Marie will probably be under protection from Walt when they try to break in, resulting in a shootout that could end up leading to her death. Either way, some from the Brotherhood might also end up dead, causing them to blame Walt, and go after his family. Perhaps that is what brings him back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJay View Post
Last cook... Then again I also heard "gaunt."
I heard "let's cook".

That scene was really well done. Not a single word from Jesse, and only one short phrase uttered by Todd. But so much was communicated.

Walt Jr. broke bad in this episode. He told the police that his father had pulled a knife on his mom, but she was the one who had pulled it on Walt.

I guess the only innocent character left is Holly.

...for now.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:02 AM   #83
jkeegan

By the way (yes there will be a tie-in),

Just about a year ago I went down to Makerfaire NY 2012 to show off my RepRap (a 3D printer that can print copies of itself, because it's mostly made from 3D printed parts). I was an exhibitor and had a booth. I blogged about it here:

Makerfaire NY 2012: Booth 8736 (My RepRap!)

I'm going down again next weekend.. if anyone is near Queens and stops by, come see me in the 3D printing villiage (I'm booth #10895 this year).

Why am I mentioning this, and why in this thread?

Well, my RepRap blog is a year behind. So recently I've been blogging about things that led up to me going to Makerfaire last year, while preparing for Makerfaire this year. To do that, I've been looking through all of the photos that I took just about a year ago.

The project I work on at work is called K0ALA. While driving down to New York from Boston, I stopped in a McDonalds to use their bathroom. While in that bathroom, I saw something that I just had to take a picture of.

This is my pic, not from the show, but from my trip to NY last year:

Needless to say, when I saw that mid-episode, I almost flipped out.

And here's a picture of it on the TV and it in this very post:

seven syllables
(
)
they explain it all
Old 09-16-2013, 01:04 AM   #84
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
I'm still a bit worried that the final 2eps are going to be about Walt v Jack, but Jesse is still around to be involved. I really did think he was a goner for a moment there.
this is my main worry about the finale. It will be Walt vs. a character that had been fairly minor until very recently. A final showdown with Hank and the DEA/cops would have been great. Obviously, we can't see it with Hank. Maybe we can with DEA/cops. Maybe we will. But it seems like there will have to be a showdown with these dudes.

Really, what I think would have been BEST is if the mafia guys from Mexico popped back up. Obviously, too late for that now. But it would have been cool to set that up very late in the first part of season 5, then have them show up in the early part of the second part of season 5. Some Salemanca family member that is still alive.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:06 AM   #85
Beryl

Just how many times in all seasons has Walt made and lost his fortune? It wasn't surprising when the Nazis took almost all of it.

As much as I disdain "all things Todd", I'm finding him one of the most intriguing characters in the show. I mean, they have a fortune and could start a new life, as Walt tells them, yet he'd rather hone his newly acquired cooking skill. Also, I love the way he "plays" his uncle.
Beryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:12 AM   #86
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
Just how many times in all seasons has Walt made and lost his fortune? It wasn't surprising when the Nazis took almost all of it.

As much as I disdain "all things Todd", I'm finding him one of the most intriguing characters in the show. I mean, they have a fortune and could start a new life, as Walt tells them, yet he'd rather hone his newly acquired cooking skill. Also, I love the way he "plays" his uncle.

I think they are obligated to cook for the guys over in Europe and don't want to get on the wrong side of them

With two episodes left, I suspect we won't get a glimpse of them. But that would be cool. That could have been another ending. The Europeans come over to see what is up with the quality of the product.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:15 AM   #87
jkeegan

Rewatching the phone call..

Wow, Walt looks for confirmation that she gets it, right after "after I told you and told you to keep your damned mouth shut.. you stupid, stupid bitch! how dare you"..

(you can see it in his eyes)

Then when she says "I'm sorry", there's a look in his eyes that good, she gets it, but I'm never going to see her again and I want to cry my eyes out but I'm handling this.. Then he lays it on even more thick.

It kills Walt to say "You're never going to see Hank again".

That phone call is one of the all time great scenes in this series.

seven syllables
(
)
they explain it all
Old 09-16-2013, 01:17 AM   #88
jkeegan

By the way, I loved how they were able to set up the ending of this show not needing words.. By having such a memorable scene with Jesse a few episodes back (finding that his drugs have been pick pocketed and not getting in the van), in front of such a memorable location, made this ending work completely without words.

I agree with Vince Gilligan.. What an amazing episode.

seven syllables
(
)
they explain it all
Old 09-16-2013, 01:25 AM   #89
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

I think a big part of the reason I got zoomed was because I was really focused on listening to the call and not really WATCHING the conversation.

That, and trying to think of where Walt might be. Was he close? Was he watching the house, knowing that the cops were there? Some other location that we would recognize as being a threat to someone we know? that was what was going through my mind.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:32 AM   #90
BitbyBlit

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumclown View Post
I believe that last episode it was shown from multiple angles, making it appear to last a lot longer than it actually did. Common Hollywood trickery.
This episode had the real time shootout so that we knew there weren't just "bullets flying everywhere".
Yeah. I cut them some slack for artistic license. The ultimate outcome (Hank and Gomez dead, not a scratch on the Brotherhood) was right even if more appeared to happen than should have.

Quote:
I was actually gonna get onto Team Walt once we knew Todd's Uncle and crew were gonna get Walt's money. But it was fleeting because of what happened after that.
When they showed Walt seeing Jesse, I had some hope that Walt and Jesse might be able to reach some mutual understanding. Then when Walt told Jack that he still owned him Jesse's life, I thought he was up to some plan. But then he gave up Jesse's location, and I realized, "Nope. He really wants Jesse dead."

I think this is the first time that Walt has ever ordered an execution. And whatever other justifications Walt has had for his previous actions, this was done out of nothing more than pure anger. When he couldn't have that, he had to settle for spite.

Quote:
I actually thought that Todd was going to trade Jesse's freedom for cooking. The incentive would be that Jesse would have the opportunity to get revenge against Walt. But threatening Andrea and Brock was better incentive, and perhaps Todd was being honest about his respect for Walt, and not just wanting him to live to make sure there was someone who could still help him cook.

"Sorry for your loss."

Indeed, Todd. Indeed.