TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-15-2013, 09:15 PM   #1
PoobBubes

Shipping TiVo sold on eBay

I need to ship a Premiere via UPS ground. Is it ok to ship in the original box or should I double box it?
PoobBubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:44 PM   #2
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Original box should be fine, double boxing would be overkill IMO.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:14 PM   #3
DaveDFW

The Tivo itself should survive being shipping its original box, but I've always double-boxed Tivos I've sold. First, it preserves the original box and second, it becomes an anonymous beige box that might be less likely to be stolen from an unattended doorstep.
DaveDFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:15 AM   #4
steinbch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoobBubes View Post
I need to ship a Premiere via UPS ground. Is it ok to ship in the original box or should I double box it?
I shipped mine this past month in the original box. I sent it via Fed-Ex and the person I spoke with there said that it was a waste to double-box..though I'm sure there are others that would disagree.

If you require a signature, then it doesn't matter if the TiVo outside is showing since they won't be able to leave it at the door.
steinbch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:18 PM   #5
windracer
joined the 10k club

Another vote for original box only. I recently sold my THDXL on eBay and only used the original box.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #6
PoobBubes

Original box it is!
Thanks for all the feedback.
PoobBubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:11 PM   #7
lessd

Quote:
Original box it is!
AND original packing !!

Old 09-17-2013, 01:35 AM   #8
unitron

It's in the manufacturer's financial interest to have the TiVo arrive undamaged regardless of how it's handled or on what kind of vehicle it gets shipped.

You aren't likely to do any better than what they designed and used, provided you use all of what they used (don't replace the styrofoam end pieces with with wadded up newspaper).

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:43 AM   #9
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

When I got my first Premieres used, they came in the original box, and then they were inside another box exactly larger to the other box would fit inside it.
I have received Tivos in boxes with NO packing and they were unharmed. I was shocked they could take that much abuse. The only time I had a problem was with a Series 2 that had a adapter for a different type of hard drive. That came lose as it wasn't held on by a tie wrap or something else. It worked find after I plugged it back in.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:43 AM   #10
buscuitboy

I recently got a 4-tuner Premiere from Woot and when it arrived, it was basically in JUST the original TiVO box so I would think this is OK for your needs as well.

Last edited by buscuitboy : 09-17-2013 at 12:26 PM.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:48 AM   #11
jalaram

This is why I try to keep all my original packing. I still have the original box for my ReplayTV.
jalaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:09 PM   #12
dolcevita

Arrow

It is fine to ship in the original box (one of my Premieres was shipped to me that way by a merchant and it was fine). But due to the issues others have mentioned (possible target for theft, depending on buyer's neighborhood) and the difference in costs, you may want to offer two options.

I recently sold 2 new premieres - and after I had accepted the buyer's best offer, he insisted that I double box..cost me $7 to buy a box that would fit them both. Granted, the buyer should have made this request before purchasing, but it doesn't hurt to offer 2 shipping options so they can choose.
dolcevita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:18 PM   #13
mattack

Unfortunately it costs way too much to ship a Tivo via UPS/post office...
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:00 PM   #14
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Shipping weight for a TiVo HD is 14 pounds. Kind of heavy.

A basic Roamio has a shipping weight of 6 pounds.

This should make future mailing of used TiVo boxes much cheaper.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:02 PM   #15
Soapm

Quote:
Original box it is!
It's how Tivo sent mine, I'm sure they did some testing when they came up with the solution.
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:44 PM   #16
ADent

I thought UPS wouldn't cover a reused box with their insurance.

From http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/res.../original.html

Quote:
The original manufacturer's packaging is usually designed for shipments on pallets instead of single-piece shipments. Additionally, this packaging is designed to ship the product once, not a multiple amount of times. Therefore, reusing the original equipment manufacturer's packaging to ship through the single package environment increases the risk of product damage. The manufacturer's box should only be used if it is new or almost new and has been specially designed to withstand impact.

ADent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:17 PM   #17
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
I always double box any TiVo I ship. One, so no one can see what it is, and two it also helps protect it. I get boxes from Office Depot for under $3 that the TiVo box will fit in. And they are nice and thick too.

I also require an adult signature. Since that is supposed to require them to look at their ID. With just a regular signature, anyone can sign for it without ID. Ground shipping is typically between $20 and $30 for TiVos I've shipped, depending on whether it's the East coast or West coast or somewhere in between. I also get the insurance coverage for the amount the TiVo was sold for.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:27 PM   #18
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I have received several hundred UPS packages with "adult signature required" in at least 5 different states, and not one UPS driver has ever asked for ID. Sometimes they ask for a name, and I tell them whatever it says on the package.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:20 AM   #19
cannonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
I have received several hundred UPS packages with "adult signature required" in at least 5 different states, and not one UPS driver has ever asked for ID. Sometimes they ask for a name, and I tell them whatever it says on the package.
If anything they look at package then you and ask if you are so and so.
cannonz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:57 AM   #20
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
I'm just saying that is what they are supposed to do. I do know anytime I pickup a package at the facility they look at my id, but at home they have not always looked at the I'd when they got a signature. Although if they deliver to the wrong person without checking their id then I guess they would he liable.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:52 AM   #21
lessd

Quote:
It is a pain if somebody ships with adult signature required as you have to be home, I never have shipped that way on E-Bay for over 10 years (over 1000 items many over $500) and never had any shipping problem, I don't even take out insurance.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:08 PM   #22
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post

It is a pain if somebody ships with adult signature required as you have to be home, I never have shipped that way on E-Bay for over 10 years (over 1000 items many over $500) and never had any shipping problem, I don't even take out insurance.
I always get insurance if the item is worth more than the standard amount they cover. With my luck the truck will get in an accident and catch fire.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:18 PM   #23
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I always get insurance if the item is worth more than the standard amount they cover. With my luck the truck will get in an accident and catch fire.
Some people use a belt and suspenders, no harm in being careful, just cost more.