TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-15-2013, 07:40 AM   #1
pmalve

Watching mkv files with tvdesktop plu

Am a little confused as to how this works. I normally use wdtv for watching my mkv files but as I'm the only one that can figure out how to change inputs on my system i Like that i can watch them from the Tivo central menu. Do I actually have to transfer file from hard drive on my network to the tivo box or can i just stream it from there? I've just started experimenting with this and like the promise of it.
pmalve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:48 PM   #2
windracer
joined the 10k club

If you're using TiVo Desktop (or pyTivo), you have to transfer the file. If you want to stream, check out streambaby.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:55 PM   #3
buscuitboy

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
If you're using TiVo Desktop (or pyTivo), you have to transfer the file. If you want to stream, check out streambaby.
I use pyTivo with all my Series 3 & Premieres, but I personally have never had any luck getting them to play and/or properly encode .MKV files to my TiVos. I ALWAYS get audio skipping issues when I try to transfer a .MKV file. Only .AVI and .MP4 files will work properly. Any reason why?
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:17 PM   #4
windracer
joined the 10k club

I don't think I've ever had issues with .MKV files and pyTivo (I don't use streambaby any longer). It could be due to the version of ffmpeg being used. I'm running pyTivo on Linux and I'm always building a current ffmpeg from source.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:28 AM   #5
ggieseke

If you use Desktop Plus you will also have to install the Haali splitter yourself. Tivo added it in 2.7 but took it back out 2.8.x.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:43 AM   #6
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Which TiVo models can play .MKV files?

(I have a TiVoHD so I use a WD Live to play mine.)
Old 09-16-2013, 02:16 PM   #7
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
Which TiVo models can play .MKV files?
None do. You need a program to convert them to a TiVo-compatible format... in which case, all do.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:50 PM   #8
pmalve

amazed how easy this is

I was looking for a way to stream my mkv files on tivo instead of using my WDLive media server. After not being able to get stream baby to work I decided to try and transfer to tivo and see how that worked. It works great. I just go to Tivo central, pick a file off my pc and transfer. I can start watching it within 15 seconds of the transfer starting. As good as streaming for me. I just delete it from tivo when im done. File is still on computer in case i wanted to watch it again. Tivo is much better at pausing and ff than the media server is.
pmalve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:45 PM   #9
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
None do. You need a program to convert them to a TiVo-compatible format... in which case, all do.
Thanks.

(I thought that might have changed with one of the newer models.)