TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:30 PM   #481
JimPa
S3 owner/user

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
it's all digital, so there should be no difference.
I should have a bit more specific.

For OTA, are you guys seeing any difference between the S3 and the Roamio basic?

Although it's all digital, you have the sensitivity and selectivity of the incoming signal as well as how the signal is massaged into RGB or component.

I'm pretty sure that I'm going to at least try the Roamio. The 4 OTA tuners is something I've wanted for a long time.

Sure wish they'd offer it on the step up models.
JimPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:06 PM   #482
celtic pride

Can someone let me know how rhapsody works on roamio? on both of my tivo premiere thx 2 tuner XLs i keep getting a v301 error can someone search blackfield or pendragon on rhaposdy and see if you get the music or if if you get the v301 error code like the premiere. I cant believe i have had this problem over 3 years now and tivo never fixed the problem. It makes me think tivo doesnt care and makes me wary of getting the roamio if they wont fix the problems. BTW has anyone tried spotify on roamio? I might decide to just cancel rhaposdy and add spotify if i get the roamio thanks for any input or suggestions you guys can give me!

Last edited by celtic pride : 09-13-2013 at 01:13 PM.
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:16 PM   #483
ncbill

In my case the Roamio Basic tunes in more out-of-market (transmitters around 60 miles away) OTA stations than my TivoHD.

Both do equally well picking up the locals (transmitters 15-35 miles away).

And I love, love, love having FOUR OTA tuners - already thinking about picking up *another* Roamio Basic.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:38 PM   #484
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPa View Post

For OTA, are you guys seeing any difference between the S3 and the Roamio basic?

Although it's all digital, you have the sensitivity and selectivity of the incoming signal as well as how the signal is massaged into RGB or component.

I'm pretty sure that I'm going to at least try the Roamio. The 4 OTA tuners is something I've wanted for a long time.

Sure wish they'd offer it on the step up models.
See my opinion here:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=508432

R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:49 PM   #485
swerver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
In my case the Roamio Basic tunes in more out-of-market (transmitters around 60 miles away) OTA stations than my TivoHD.

Both do equally well picking up the locals (transmitters 15-35 miles away).

And I love, love, love having FOUR OTA tuners - already thinking about picking up *another* Roamio Basic.
Rhapsody works on my roamio plus. I have had that error in the past on my premiere, but only once in a great while. It seemed like only certain searches would cause it, but then if I searched in a different way (by album instead of artist for instance) I could get around it. But 99% of the time I didn't have a problem. Have yet to see the error on the roamio but haven't used it enough to say for sure. I'll try those searches later and let you know. It'll be too bad if this forces you to switch to spotify - it bugs me that they get all the press for doing the exact same thing rhapsody does, and not any better, but because they got the word out on facebook, that's all anyone knows about. I love rhapsody!
swerver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:57 PM   #486
markp99
TakoKichi

Rhapsody works for me too, but just looks SOOOO crappy in SD/HME.

The app is in serious need of a facelift.

Spotify, on the other hand, looks simply amazing!
markp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:24 PM   #487
JimPa
S3 owner/user

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
Nice write up.

Thanks for posting it.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:30 PM   #488
cmaquilino16

Question

Can you transfer your lifetime sub from my Tivo HD to the new Roamio or do you have to get a new sub? Also can I take out the cable card from my TiVo had use it in the new TiVo .
cmaquilino16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:31 PM   #489
tivogurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaquilino16 View Post
Can you transfer your lifetime sub from my Tivo HD to the new Roamio or do you have to get a new sub?
No, you need a new sub.
Quote:
Also can I take out the cable card from my TiVo had use it in the new TiVo .
Yes.
tivogurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #490
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:

Although it's all digital, you have the sensitivity and selectivity of the incoming signal
That is not picture or sound quality, that is signal quality or reception quality. If you have a good signal, it will look and sound the same. If you are using digital, it will always look/sound the same, that is the whole point of digital (with the exception of up/downscaling). HDMI, DVI, and optical TOSLINK are all digital.

Quote:
as well as how the signal is massaged into RGB or component.
Very few people use analog connections, but that is a valid concern if you use those, still. Thank goodness the TiVo still has analog. In any case, I doubt there would be much difference there, either.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:35 PM   #491
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Can you transfer your lifetime sub from my Tivo HD to the new Roamio
Nope. Never.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:44 PM   #492
Beryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS View Post

Interesting. I wonder if TiVo know about this?
I'll let them know as soon as I have time.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:05 PM   #493
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post

That is not picture or sound quality, that is signal quality or reception quality. If you have a good signal, it will look and sound the same. If you are using digital, it will always look/sound the same, that is the whole point of digital (with the exception of up/downscaling). HDMI, DVI, and optical TOSLINK are all digital.

Very few people use analog connections, but that is a valid concern if you use those, still. Thank goodness the TiVo still has analog. In any case, I doubt there would be much difference there, either.
That's not true at all. Digital picture quality can indeed be different between devices. It all depends on the quality of the processing hardware they use. Why do you think there are different levels of quality on DVD/Bluray players? If there wasn't a difference, everyone would buy the $59 store brand units instead of the regular and flagship brands like Sony and Oppo, etc.

Also, digital component outputs, aka HDMI, DVI, etc can send either RGBHV or variations of YCbCr digital component signals out their connectors. It is NOT limited to analog only.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:53 PM   #494
PHeadland

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Digital picture quality can indeed be different between devices. It all depends on the quality of the processing hardware they use.
That is only true if the device is doing some processing beyond simply decoding (for example, if it is deinterlacing or scaling). Any correctly implemented* Blu Ray player whose output is set to 1080p/24 will produce an identical picture when playing a 1080p/24 Blu Ray disc. Likewise for 1080i/60 discs output as 1080i/60. The same goes for sound quality via HDMI.

I bought my OPPO BDP-83 for its ability to scale and transcode DVDs and 1080i/50 Blu Rays, for its build quality, and because I like the company and value its support policies.

When it comes to blatant differences - such as pixelation or macroblocking - between two TiVos both processing the same digital signal, it must be a bug, a hardware defect, or a signal quality issue. OTOH, stuttering due to dropped frames could be a performance issue (I think my Roamio is better in that respect than my old HD).

* - I seriously doubt you can find a Blu Ray player that does not correctly implement core functionality these days.

Last edited by PHeadland : 09-13-2013 at 07:58 PM.
PHeadland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:55 PM   #495
HarperVision

Not true in my real world experience.....just sayin'.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:00 AM   #496
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
That's not true at all. Digital picture quality can indeed be different between devices. It all depends on the quality of the processing hardware they use. Why do you think there are different levels of quality on DVD/Bluray players? If there wasn't a difference, everyone would buy the $59 store brand units instead of the regular and flagship brands like Sony and Oppo, etc.
The digital picture is the digital picture. Unless scaling/smoothing/etc is involved it shouldn't matter what device is being used to spit the digital signal to the TV. The codecs for HDTV are well known and pretty much the same everywhere.

And there is essentially no difference in picture quality on DVD/Bluray players, except for upscaling on DVD (Bluray has no need for upscaling or smoothing). The difference you are paying for is quality of the hardware (longevity, reliability), and features.

Quote:
Also, digital component outputs, aka HDMI, DVI, etc can send either RGBHV or variations of YCbCr digital component signals out their connectors. It is NOT limited to analog only.
The HDMI on the TiVO is digital only. And that is what we are talking about.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:49 AM   #497
swerver

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtic pride View Post
Can someone let me know how rhapsody works on roamio? on both of my tivo premiere thx 2 tuner XLs i keep getting a v301 error can someone search blackfield or pendragon on rhaposdy and see if you get the music or if if you get the v301 error code like the premiere.
Unfortunately, yeah those searches give me the error. But for instance I searched for blackfield in album search since they have albums by the same name, and a couple came up there, and I could play them. Same with pendragon. I searched a bunch of other artist names and didn't get the error.

It's also worth noting how fast it will jump back to the app by pressing left - if you get dumped by the error you can be right back in less than 2 seconds.

Agreed tho, that's pretty lame esp. given how long it's been that way.
swerver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:53 AM   #498
JimPa
S3 owner/user

Quote:

Very well put.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:43 AM   #499
bodosom
Just another tivotee

Quote:
Very well put.
I suppose -- for nonsense. I'd like to think it was just a typo but I don't think so.

By the way, Oppo (I have two) picks from the same pool of decoders/HDMI parts everyone else does.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:16 AM   #500
Rose4uKY

We returned our premiere for the Roamio and we have two minis. Our minis aren't working gives us some network error message. I'm out of town but haven't used the mini yet cause my Series 3 is also hooked up to the TV in my other bedroom and I've been still catching up on shows on it. But the minis worked when we had the premiere.

Just got our Roamio Plus today and am able to return our 3 1/2 week old 2TB Premiere. Still have my Series 3 with LT and not using my other 2 x series 3 trying to sell them. 10 Year Customer.
Rose4uKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:34 PM   #501
celtic pride

I appreciate you checking rhaposdy for me swerver ,I need to make a decision soon!
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:55 AM   #502
JimPa
S3 owner/user

Order the Roameo this past Friday and would thank those who responded to my earlier questions.

Is any way to programmatically transfer Season Passes from my S3 to the Roameo? I won't be using the S3 after I do so. I'm not referring to any recordings, just the Season Passes.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:19 AM   #503
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Order the Roameo this past Friday and would thank those who responded to my earlier questions.

Is any way to programmatically transfer Season Passes from my S3 to the Roameo? I won't be using the S3 after I do so. I'm not referring to any recordings, just the Season Passes.
You can transfer season passes online. It was very quick when I did it online. A short time later my Romaio Pro was already showing most of the shows scheduled to record.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:36 AM   #504
uw69

Quote:

I just did this very thing using KMTTG. It was fast and painless. Another side benefit to KMTTG was the ability to backup your season passes and it keeps the season pass priorities the same (although with 6 tuners this really isn't an issue for me anymore!).

I don't know who wrote the KMTTG program, but he or she deserve a lot of credit and my thanks for providing such a useful program to the TiVo community.
1 Roamio plus 470 hours
3 TiVo Mini's
uw69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:23 AM   #505
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by uw69 View Post
I just did this very thing using KMTTG. It was fast and painless. Another side benefit to KMTTG was the ability to backup your season passes and it keeps the season pass priorities the same (although with 6 tuners this really isn't an issue for me anymore!).

I don't know who wrote the KMTTG program, but he or she deserve a lot of credit and my thanks for providing such a useful program to the TiVo community.
I used KMTTG also and it is a great program. That and PyTiVo and DVR Commander make the TiVo oh so much more useful.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:44 AM   #506
Goober96

I don't have an S3 online anymore but, if I recall correctly, KMTTG won't copy SPs from an S3.
Goober96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:55 AM   #507
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober96 View Post
I don't have an S3 online anymore but, if I recall correctly, KMTTG won't copy SPs from an S3.
Yes it can, if you supply your tivo.com login and password in kmttg config.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:14 AM   #508
jmpage2

Quote:

I just logged into tivo.com and transferred the season passes there, it took about 30 seconds to 'select all' and transfer them to the new Roamio.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:16 AM   #509
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by uw69 View Post
I don't know who wrote the KMTTG program
Kevin J. Moye, AKA moyekj.

KMTTG = Kevin Moye's TiVo-To-Go

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:28 AM   #510
uw69

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Kevin J. Moye, AKA moyekj.

KMTTG = Kevin Moye's TiVo-To-Go
Thanks for letting me know, great program. Not sure how I got along without it.
1 Roamio plus 470 hours
3 TiVo Mini's
uw69 is online now   Reply With Quote