TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-12-2013, 09:58 AM   #31
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsusser View Post
About 66 percent
That's exactly what I am getting on my premier boxes. I think I have a bad ONT or bad fiber cable coming in to my apt. I always had signal levels in the 90's...

When is the tech coming out to you?
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:14 AM   #32
gsusser

As far as fighting with Verizon. It takes a lot of energy and patience. They really are one of the world's worst companies. But I'm getting psyched for the battle. My priority now is making sure a technician comes tomorrow who knows what he's doing.
gsusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:30 AM   #33
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
As far as fighting with Verizon. It takes a lot of energy and patience. They really are one of the world's worst companies. But I'm getting psyched for the battle. My priority now is making sure a technician comes tomorrow who knows what he's doing.
Keep us posted.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:34 AM   #34
gsusser

From what I'm told, the Roamio's need more signal strength than the 2 tuner sets. And I have a Roamio Plus, which, if I understand correctly, needs even more signal strength. Verizon is coming tomorrow. Today, I start making calls to ensure this is done right.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:02 PM   #35
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
From what I'm told, the Roamio's need more signal strength than the 2 tuner sets. And I have a Roamio Plus, which, if I understand correctly, needs even more signal strength. Verizon is coming tomorrow. Today, I start making calls to ensure this is done right.
Who will you call, and what will you do to ensure it's done right? No sarcasm intended - I'm in the same boat as you with regard to signal strength.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:05 PM   #36
aaronwt
HD Addict

The signal strength from the ONT is typically very hot. They had to put an eight way splitter on mine to drop the signal and even then I could split it several more times without any issues.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:29 PM   #37
gsusser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS View Post
Who will you call, and what will you do to ensure it's done right? No sarcasm intended - I'm in the same boat as you with regard to signal strength.
I called to make sure someone familiar with cable cards came and hopefully, a senior technician. I made sure this was all marked on the repair order so I hopefully don't get someone who never dealt with these issues.

The TiVo supervisor conferenced in yesterday did that and I followed up today to make sure it was done. Unless you have a contact at Verizon, which I used to, I don't think there's anything else that can be done. The reason for doing this is I've gotten technicians here who look at a cable card and say something like, "Gee, I haven't seen one of those in a long time."

I also plan to call TiVo tech support the moment Verizon arrives in case the tech needs info or tries to give me the run around. I figure someone from TiVo can wait on the phone while Verizon is here after all I've been through and paid.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:07 PM   #38
gsusser

Problem solved. It was the signal strength and Verizon came over and fixed it.

Kudos to TiVo support for their help. Unfortunately, I had to deal with them extensively over the past 5 days. I got to know many of the techs and supervisors as well as someone in the executive office. I have nothing but praise for 97% of them. Meanwhile, Verizon sucks. -)
Old 09-15-2013, 02:59 AM   #39
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Problem solved. It was the signal strength and Verizon came over and fixed it.

Kudos to TiVo support for their help. Unfortunately, I had to deal with them extensively over the past 5 days. I got to know many of the techs and supervisors as well as someone in the executive office. I have nothing but praise for 97% of them. Meanwhile, Verizon sucks. -)
Cool

What did they do to fix signal strength?
Old 09-15-2013, 07:24 AM   #40
gsusser

I had a jack in another room that was sucking up a great deal of signal strength. It wasn't installed correctly. Since I wasn't using it and have no intention of using it, the tech directed all the power to my one TV, so I now have 100% signal strength as opposed to about 66%. I guess 66% was sufficient for the Premiere that I had, but not the Roamio Plus and its 6 tuners. It seems the problem was a rarity and something not many people will come across.

I tell ya, it took about 20 hours of my time over nearly a week, but it was worth it. The Roamio is fantastic. Btw, I said Verizon sucked because their only solution was to keep sending me cable cards. Granted, TiVo or Verizon should have probably picked up that I had insufficient signal strength earlier, but it seems most TiVo problems are related to the cable card, or so I was told. But still, to send 5 cable cards is ridiculous. I'm keeping the last one as a souvenir, haha.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:36 AM   #41
bunjicat

Quote:
Thats odd because I have experienced the exact opposite. On my premieres I had to remove splitters to get a descent signal. Roamio plus I had to add splitters back in to prevent the macro blocking issues from to strong a signal. I have also not experienced any issues with HBO/Cinemax with the older cable card. FWIW.
bunjicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:34 AM   #42
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
I had a jack in another room that was sucking up a great deal of signal strength. It wasn't installed correctly. Since I wasn't using it and have no intention of using it, the tech directed all the power to my one TV, so I now have 100% signal strength as opposed to about 66%. I guess 66% was sufficient for the Premiere that I had, but not the Roamio Plus and its 6 tuners. It seems the problem was a rarity and something not many people will come across.

I tell ya, it took about 20 hours of my time over nearly a week, but it was worth it. The Roamio is fantastic. Btw, I said Verizon sucked because their only solution was to keep sending me cable cards. Granted, TiVo or Verizon should have probably picked up that I had insufficient signal strength earlier, but it seems most TiVo problems are related to the cable card, or so I was told. But still, to send 5 cable cards is ridiculous. I'm keeping the last one as a souvenir, haha.
My situation may be different from yours as I am seeing about 65% on both TiVo boxes. They are in separate rooms, but off the same splitter. I ran a direct run from the ONT to the TiVo, and the signal strength didn't change - still about 65. I used to have strength in the 90's, so I think my ONT either needs adjustment, or is dying.

My situation is here.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:44 AM   #43
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS View Post
My situation may be different from yours as I am seeing about 65% on both TiVo boxes. They are in separate rooms, but off the same splitter. I ran a direct run from the ONT to the TiVo, and the signal strength didn't change - still about 65. I used to have strength in the 90's, so I think my ONT either needs adjustment, or is dying.

My situation is here.
I finally looked at my signal strength on my Roamio Pro. From my GPON ONT it goes to an eight way splitter. Then one of those feeds goes around 50 feet to my Romaio Pro. I was seeing signal strengths between 88 and 95 on the thirty or forty channels I looked at.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote