TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:43 PM   #121
StevesWeb
Grumpy Old Geek

Points to Margret and the gang at TiVo for engaging in troubleshooting instead of fingerpointing.

It's also encouraging that Verizon has alerted their techs to this issue.

Now we can all relax and point fingers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
StevesWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:03 AM   #122
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasbur View Post
They didn't say anything about a shipping charge, but I did ask if I could pick one up at the store. I was told the stores don't carry them.
The FiOS stores carry them, but not the Verizon Wireless stores. I'm fortunate to have a FiOS store a couple of miles away. So I picked up the proper card on Friday morning on the way to work.

So I was able to pair the cable card which couldn't be done with my previous card which had a 514517-002-00 part number. Although I didn't have any macroblcoking problems with the old card. Just a pairing issue.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:45 PM   #123
Mgnyc11

+1 on the fix mentioned in the post. Recieved a MCPOD3 cable card, as well as some new wire to be safe today and all my issues went away with pixelation.
Mgnyc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:59 PM   #124
andrews777

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
We have a theory on this problem with macroblocking/pixelation on Verizon FiOS premium channels.

If you are experiencing this problem please pull out your CableCARD, and look at the part number above the barcode on the back.

If that number is either one of these:
514517-002-00 (MCPOD1)
514517-006-00 (MCPOD2)
we think you'll experience the problem.

We believe CableCARDs with this number:
514517-017-00 (MCPOD3)
will work correctly.

Please let me know ASAP if your experience differs from our expectations. (margret@tivo.com)

Thanks!
--Margret
You may want to add that this value is just above the 4th (lowest) barcode. It is in fairly small print and does not include the MCP0D3 text, just the code you note. I just picked one up at the Verizon store and it took us a while to validate it was the right one. I will be hooking it up tonight or tomorrow, so I will then know for sure.
andrews777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:59 PM   #125
Voodoo22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cram501 View Post
You can also add a splitter or two to degrade the signal. One thing to remember, you may find that after adding some attenuators/splitters some other channels were lowered so that they may now break up. It's a balance I've had to play with in the past.
Thanks Cram.
I ordered an attenuator pack from Smarthome and hopefully that will be the end of my problem with the 017 card and HBO blockiness.
Voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:04 PM   #126
mathowie

Just wanted to add that I finally got a correct updated card for my FiOS-connected Roamio, but after the first pairing over the phone with a tech, it would only show major network and PBS channels, everything on cable HD was not authorized.

Tech on the phone insisted there was nothing else he could do, called back and got another tech, told him to not just reauth the card but do a full reload. He didn't know what that meant and instead cleared all the info about my card from the system and we started pairing again from scratch, and then all channels finally worked.

All told, this took four days, loads of research, and about a dozen calls to FiOS tech support to get my new $800 TiVo running, and I only stuck with it because I've had 7 different TiVos over the past 13 years and knew it had to work eventually. I can't imagine what a normal non-dork customer would think of this kind of installation nightmare.
mathowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:06 AM   #127
Bramble

A Frontier Tech came out and switched my card yesterday, from a 002 to a 017 card, and now everything works.

One thing I did notice before then, with the bad card the pixelation was worse the more tuners that were active. I've a got a 4-tuner basic, and if I tuned 2 or 3 tuners to unavailable channels then there was no pixelation at all. But once I had 3 tuners tuned to available channels I started seeing some pixelation, and it got worse if all 4 tuners were tuned to available channels. I would have played around with the commands to cut down the number of available tuners, but I didn't have time before the tech switched out bad card.
Bramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:39 AM   #128
iadbound

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathowie View Post
I can't imagine what a normal non-dork customer would think of this kind of installation nightmare.
So true! What irks me is that Verizon could solve this problem if it would simply activate and pair when using the automated call-in system rather than just activating.

If nothing else, Verizon needs to have a clear set of steps that every tech can follow in order to pair the cards. The CSR lottery approach is just wasting Verizon's resources, let alone ours.
iadbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:58 AM   #129
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
The cable cards are paired. The copy protected channels do not come through without major pixillization.

An 'S' means the card has been activated. You need to ensure that you have something besides '??' In the Val field. Without the Val field showing the correct value, you get a blank screen.
In the Val: field, I am showing V 0x00

Can anyone tell me what the 0x00 means? I was and friend's house this evening, and the value was 0x01. What are the possible values for this field, and what do they mean?
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:12 AM   #130
KnordRW

That's the CCI Byte of the channel that is currently tuned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copy_Control_Information
KnordRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:11 AM   #131
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnordRW View Post
That's the CCI Byte of the channel that is currently tuned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copy_Control_Information
The CCI filed is in the lower left corner of the CableCARD screen, and I believe, is what you are referring to.

The VAL field I am referring to is on the 4th line of the Conditional access screen for the Motorola CC. The entire 4th line looks like this:
CON: Yes EBCP: Yes Val: V 0x00
Old 09-10-2013, 04:58 PM   #132
sheisler28

I just emailed Margret and am sorry to report that I have a 017 cable card and it does NOT work with my new Roamio Plus. Cox Communications is my cable provider and after several days of troubleshooting different cards, tuning adapters and having the lines tested in our home (which was fine) Cox has concluded that there is an issue with the cable card's software and it is not working my Roamio Plus. Again, I have a 017 card, it does NOT work.

I hope that Margret can help me and suggest that the first post in this thread be updated so it does not say resolved.
sheisler28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:09 PM   #133
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheisler28 View Post
I just emailed Margret and am sorry to report that I have a 017 cable card and it does NOT work with my new Roamio Plus. Cox Communications is my cable provider and after several days of troubleshooting different cards, tuning adapters and having the lines tested in our home (which was fine) Cox has concluded that there is an issue with the cable card's software and it is not working my Roamio Plus. Again, I have a 017 card, it does NOT work.

I hope that Margret can help me and suggest that the first post in this thread be updated so it does not say resolved.
This thread is about FiOS issues. You best bet is to check the other threads to see what solutions people have found for Cox.

For FiOS this is resolved.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:05 PM   #134
takeagabu

TLDR - you can just go to a verizon retail store and switch cablecards - no questions asked.

I was having this issue with a MCPOD2, and found this thread.

Verizon CS was being a pain. They didn't believe it was a cablecard issue and kept wanting me to try fix it in other ways. I finally just called a local fios retail store, and told them I wanted to swap cablecards. They said no problem. It took me 5 minutes to get the new card.

Unfortunately, when I put it in I got a cablecard error 161-1 and no channels were showing up at all. though it was luckily resolved by rebotting the tivo. I then called verizon and paired the cablecard, and I am good to go.
takeagabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:31 AM   #135
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by zordude View Post
Hi all,

Has anyone seen an issue where just some of the premiums are pixelating? I repaired both my cablecards with my new roamios tonight any everything is working except hbo/ Cinemax are very pixelated.

I have FiosTV

*** RESOLVED ***
Would you please update your first post to reflect "resolved with caveat" as Margret has provided additional information here. If TiVo does release code that allows earlier CC cards to work properly, it will save people the trouble of swapping cards.

Quote:
More feedback from our engineer:

Re: Post #221/Verizon FIOS is a different issue. Tuning works fine on all
six tuners, but macroblocking has been reported on some channels. During our
investigation, we determined that the problem does not exist on version 017
cards:
514517-002-00 - Older
514517-006-00 - Old
514517-017-00 - Newer
We are not finished investigating, but there is a chance we can workaround
problems with the older cards through a software release. In the mean time,
version 017 cards do work.

Old 09-14-2013, 04:38 PM   #136
KurtONeill

No HBO

I have had my card replaced by FIOS with the correct version. My old card HBO was pixelized but worked. Two of the new ones and they can't get my HBO to authorize. They have reloaded over the phone 3 times now. They are sending a field tech tomorrow which I am not sure why. I have spent over 6 hours on this on the phone and I a real frustrated at this point.
KurtONeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:54 PM   #137
innocentfreak

Try one last time on the chat. The chat support on their web site I find is a lot better. Tell them you need a reinit on the CableCARD. It activated fine, assuming everything but HBO or Cinemax works, but the pairing didn't go through so you are unable to watch copy once content.

It is still possible you have a bad card or something potentially wrong with the Roamio, but they might just be sending the activation code again which no longer pairs the card.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:27 AM   #138
cram501

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtONeill View Post
I have had my card replaced by FIOS with the correct version. My old card HBO was pixelized but worked. Two of the new ones and they can't get my HBO to authorize. They have reloaded over the phone 3 times now. They are sending a field tech tomorrow which I am not sure why. I have spent over 6 hours on this on the phone and I a real frustrated at this point.
When you are talking to them keep an eye on the data id. When I was going through the process, sometimes that would change (I think when they deactivate/activate to start again). If the data id changes after you've given them the numbers, it can be activated but will not pair. The data id must match what is on your screen and what is entered into their system. This would allow you to see the normal channels and not the copy protected channels (hbo, cinemax, 131).

I wrote it down and let them know when it changed so they could enter it again. This solved the "unpaired" problems for me.

Some of the Verizon techs I got were inexperienced at cable cards but were willing to make the effort to get it done. It may have been slower than someone that had experience but their attitudes were good.
cram501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:12 AM   #139
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
When you are talking to them keep an eye on the data id. When I was going through the process, sometimes that would change (I think when they deactivate/activate to start again). If the data id changes after you've given them the numbers, it can be activated but will not pair. The data id must match what is on your screen and what is entered into their system. This would allow you to see the normal channels and not the copy protected channels (hbo, cinemax, 131).

I wrote it down and let them know when it changed so they could enter it again. This solved the "unpaired" problems for me.

Some of the Verizon techs I got were inexperienced at cable cards but were willing to make the effort to get it done. It may have been slower than someone that had experience but their attitudes were good.
I went through what you did, but I don't remember if it was the original Data ID, or the changed one that they needed to successfully complete the pairing. Do you know which on they need? "Before" or "After"?
Old 09-16-2013, 10:51 AM   #140
cram501

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS View Post
I went through what you did, but I don't remember if it was the original Data ID, or the changed one that they needed to successfully complete the pairing. Do you know which on they need? "Before" or "After"?
The data id has to be the one displayed on your Tivo. If it changes, it needs to be updated to the new one displayed on your Tivo. Old ones will be meaningless since it won't have any impact on pairing the cards.
cram501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:22 PM   #141
TiVoMargret
VP of Design, TiVo

Verizon customers

Here's the latest on Roamio + Verizon:

1. You want to make sure the CableCARD you are putting in your Roamio has this part number: 514517-017-00. (On the back, above the barcode.) If your Roamio has a CableCARD with a different part number, you'll need to call Verizon and have them swap the card.

2. If you have the correct part number, but your HBO or other premium channels are still "pixelating" then it is likely that your CableCARD is "authorized" but not "paired". Call Verizon's activation line 1-888-897-7499 and keep asking for "tech support". Once you have reached someone in tech support, tell them your CableCARD is authorized but not paired, and ask them to "Manually Validate Set Top Box". (I have been told this instruction is what has worked for other customers.)

I will let you know if we are able to release an update that allows the older cards to work. For now, please make sure you have the newest card.

Thanks for your patience.

--Margret
TiVo Inc. *

TiVoMargret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:05 AM   #142
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
The data id has to be the one displayed on your Tivo. If it changes, it needs to be updated to the new one displayed on your Tivo. Old ones will be meaningless since it won't have any impact on pairing the cards.
Thanks for the info
Old 09-19-2013, 08:08 AM   #143
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
Here's the latest on Roamio + Verizon:

1. You want to make sure the CableCARD you are putting in your Roamio has this part number: 514517-017-00. (On the back, above the barcode.) If your Roamio has a CableCARD with a different part number, you'll need to call Verizon and have them swap the card.

2. If you have the correct part number, but your HBO or other premium channels are still "pixelating" then it is likely that your CableCARD is "authorized" but not "paired". Call Verizon's activation line 1-888-897-7499 and keep asking for "tech support". Once you have reached someone in tech support, tell them your CableCARD is authorized but not paired, and ask them to "Manually Validate Set Top Box". (I have been told this instruction is what has worked for other customers.)

I will let you know if we are able to release an update that allows the older cards to work. For now, please make sure you have the newest card.

Thanks for your patience.

--Margret
Thanks for the update. I am looking forward to additional information as you can provide it - either good news or bad regarding an update.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:13 PM   #144
Voodoo22

+1
fixed with new 017 cable card.
Voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:38 AM   #145
rsnaider

Thanks to this thread I have my '006' card with me today and going to try to swap it out for an '017' card on my way home tonight.

I have my Roamio Pro set to arrive on Monday and hopefully I will have no issues as I do have HBO and other premium channels that I would prefer to keep.

edit - Picked up the new card and had it setup on my Elite to make sure it works. The tech was able to activate it, but I had to use the term above "Manually Validate Set Top Box" to get the card paired. The tech saw the option, entered the info and in about 30 seconds HBO, Cinimax and all the others are working now.

Come Monday hopefully a simple process to get the '017' card working in my Roamio.

TiVo Roamio Pro
TiVo Premier - WD 1TB Expander
TiVo Premier XL
TiVo Premier Elite
TiVo Mini

Last edited by rsnaider : 09-20-2013 at 05:16 PM.
rsnaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:56 PM   #146
rshilliam

I am also having the pixelating problem described using Frontier FIOS cable card 514517-002-00. I tried more than one card and also confirmed that everything works fine with a Tivo Premier on the same cable jack. I've just ordered a "new" card which will be mailed to me and I hope that it's the 514517-017-00 card but I won't know 'til it gets here. I did a little experimenting and discovered that I don't have the problem if all of the 6 tuners are tuned to the channels that work without the cable card inserted (free channels). I can tune up to two of the tuners to subscribed channels and still everything works fine. If i have three or more tuners tuned to the subscribed channels, the pixelation occurs on all of the tuners that are tuned to subscribed channels. I also noticed that when the problem is occurring, you can see remnants of adjacent channels which looks to me like the tuners is picking up the signal from two channels simultaneously rather than locking in on one channel. I'm looking forward to getting my new card next week.
rshilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:32 AM   #147
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshilliam View Post
I am also having the pixelating problem described using Frontier FIOS cable card 514517-002-00. I tried more than one card and also confirmed that everything works fine with a Tivo Premier on the same cable jack. I've just ordered a "new" card which will be mailed to me and I hope that it's the 514517-017-00 card but I won't know 'til it gets here. I did a little experimenting and discovered that I don't have the problem if all of the 6 tuners are tuned to the channels that work without the cable card inserted (free channels). I can tune up to two of the tuners to subscribed channels and still everything works fine. If i have three or more tuners tuned to the subscribed channels, the pixelation occurs on all of the tuners that are tuned to subscribed channels. I also noticed that when the problem is occurring, you can see remnants of adjacent channels which looks to me like the tuners is picking up the signal from two channels simultaneously rather than locking in on one channel. I'm looking forward to getting my new card next week.
Long-time member, first-time post

Let us know how it works out with the new CC.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:15 AM   #148
dslunceford

I'm looking to swap my card pre-order of Roamio to ensure there will be no problems; the older card 002-00 was in my TiVo HD (which just died). When I called my local VZ experience store, they knew of the issue and have a new card for swapping out. However, they also said there will be a $9.99 fee to swap, which will appear on my bill. Did anyone else have this swap fee?

dslunceford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:26 AM   #149
rsnaider

No fee when I swapped my card on Friday. Is this a fee to ship you the card or will you be picking it up?

I picked mine up.

TiVo Roamio Pro
TiVo Premier - WD 1TB Expander
TiVo Premier XL
TiVo Premier Elite
TiVo Mini
rsnaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:35 PM   #150
rshilliam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshilliam View Post
dang, the card arrived in the mail today and it's a 514517-006-00 version...back on the phone with Frontier tomorrow to see if I can get a 514517-017-00...
rshilliam is offline   Reply With Quote