Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-04-2013, 12:14 PM   #301
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmgal View Post
Kenichi rules!!! The only act I'd go to Vegas for.
Unfortunately, you'll have to sit through some B-Double-O-T-Y first. That is, unless they're bringing back the Vaudeville tradition of the "closing act" (usually the worst act went on last, right after the headliner, as this is when everybody was leaving anyway).

That could be good news for other acts, as it means they're not sticking to any "only the finalists will be on the tour" policy like they advertised the first time the show went on tour.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:52 PM   #302
super dave
Upgrade Willy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odds Bodkins View Post
I think it was a plant for Collins' act because the polka dot reveal was too quick. She immediately dug into her purse for her phone. If that was a regular schmuck, she'd be way too overwhelmed at being on stage to think anywhere near that clearly.
I thought he started by involving only single girls, but the next night he says that they didn't do the date because she had a boyfriend. No one questioned him about this?
Old 09-04-2013, 06:42 PM   #303
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuCow View Post
I wasnt happy to see Dave Finley not make it either. I thought he was one of the best singers on the show this season. Everyone who made it through deserved it tho, I guess. At least we've seen the last of B-O-O-T-Y.
I like Dave too, but I think all singing should be eliminated from AGT-it should be renamed "AGT-except for singing, because there are enough shows for that already..."
Old 09-05-2013, 06:30 AM   #304
Cainebj

Bummer Timber Brown got cut.

I just scratched my head at a couple of the acts that went through last night over him.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:40 AM   #305
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
I think Timber Brown was a victim of his own act. While doing what he did with wet equipment is more difficult, it seemed like half of his act was just falling into a tank of water. I've enjoyed his performances before, but that one just bored me.

I could easily have done without Branden James getting through. I can't think of who did NOT get through that I think should have, though I would have been all right with Anna Christine making the next show.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:26 AM   #306
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

I don't remember anybody mentioning this last night, but according to an NBC press release, the top six from next week advance to the final shows on September 17-18. Even though there are only six acts, the Tuesday show is scheduled for two hours, as is the finale the following night.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:42 AM   #307
TriBruin

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLucPicard View Post
I think Timber Brown was a victim of his own act. While doing what he did with wet equipment is more difficult, it seemed like half of his act was just falling into a tank of water. I've enjoyed his performances before, but that one just bored me.

I could easily have done without Branden James getting through. I can't think of who did NOT get through that I think should have, though I would have been all right with Anna Christine making the next show.
I agree with you on Timber Brown. His act on Tuesday didn't wow me.

Overall, I think the acts last night were right. I would have probably swapped Anna Christine with Branden James, but I am not a big fan of these "heartfelt" singers.

It really sucked that the judges had to pick between the two kid acts. However, I think the judges are punting too much and forcing a tie to avoid being the bad guys.
TriBruin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:07 AM   #308
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriBruin View Post
It really sucked that the judges had to pick between the two kid acts. However, I think the judges are punting too much and forcing a tie to avoid being the bad guys.
I don't think it's as much "avoiding being the bad guys" as "they honestly can't decide between the two, so they'll go with what the voters said, which means forcing a tie." Notice that few of them actually say why they choose one over the other.

One of the judges - I think it was Howard, but it might have been Howie - mentioned something that was spot on; the Military Spouses Choir would be a perfect fit for the USO. The only problem is, how many of them are going to have to leave because they're going to have kids real soon?

And is it just me, or does it feel like it's going to come down to Chicago Boyz and Kenichi Ebina?
Old 09-05-2013, 10:32 AM   #309
getreal
postcrastinator

I've never understood the appeal of little kids dancing as a headline act, except for a school auditorium. ?? John Wing should have gone through before the dancing children.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:57 AM   #310
nickels
opinionated dope

I watch with my kids so I haven't seen this week's live acts yet. Last week I am glad they got rid of the old guy country singer, unfortunately they didn't eliminate both. I am still hoping it comes down to Catapult and Kenichi, but knowing that middle America is involved it will be the dancing kids vs the country singer.

As for the light group that performed at the results show, they were OK. If you watched last year Lightwire Theater was way better IMO.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:59 AM   #311
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
Is it just me, or does it feel like it's going to come down to Chicago Boyz and Kenichi Ebina?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels View Post
I am still hoping it comes down to Catapult and Kenichi, but knowing that middle America is involved it will be the dancing kids vs the country singer.
Maybe it is just me...

The dancing kids were sixth in their semi-final, weren't they? I don't see them getting into the final six. For that matter, I don't think Taylor Williamson (the country singer) does, either - too much competition from other singers. My guesses:
Kenichi Ebina
Chicago Boyz
Collins Key
Forte
Kristef Brothers
Cami Bradley (if Michael Grimm can win over Jackie Evancho, I have to think America will put a "contemporary" singer into the six - besides, she beat Catapult in the first semi-final, although that's when Catapult was off their game)
Old 09-11-2013, 11:38 AM   #312
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Maybe it is just me...

The dancing kids were sixth in their semi-final, weren't they? I don't see them getting into the final six. For that matter, I don't think Taylor Williamson (the country singer) does, either - too much competition from other singers. My guesses:
Kenichi Ebina
Chicago Boyz
Collins Key
Forte
Kristef Brothers
Cami Bradley (if Michael Grimm can win over Jackie Evancho, I have to think America will put a "contemporary" singer into the six - besides, she beat Catapult in the first semi-final, although that's when Catapult was off their game)
Taylor is the comedian.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:45 AM   #313
TriBruin

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Maybe it is just me...

Kenichi Ebina
Chicago Boyz
Collins Key
Forte
Kristef Brothers
I am not sure Collins Key will make it through. Quite frankly his last two performances have been poor. I still think Catapult comes through. There performance last night was essentially flawless.
TriBruin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #314
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
I am not sure Collins Key will make it through. Quite frankly his last two performances have been poor. I still think Catapult comes through. There performance last night was essentially flawless.
Collins' performances have been inversely proportional to his ego. As his ego has risen, his performances have suffered. But he has the rabid youth vote, and they vote like the plague for their favourite.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:18 PM   #315
Jayjoans

Collins Key is terrible. What a snoozer, that made no sense. We did learn, however, that the Spice Girl can't read an analog watch. Not surprising.

Key's switching of the bags on the table made no sense either. Someone picks bag #2, so he moves it into the #1 position with no explanation as to why. When he smashed bags, there was never any broken bits of watch shown. Overall it was terrible, and with the silly cutaways to the judges all the time you couldn't get a feel for what he was doing.
Jayjoans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:49 PM   #316
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal View Post
Taylor is the comedian.
He won't get through either.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:53 PM   #317
nickels
opinionated dope

Quote:
Was it was "spot on" or "off the chain!"
I make fun of Mel B every time she talks, my kids hate it. (Hence, why it continues)
Old 09-12-2013, 12:15 AM   #318
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
He won't get through either.
So, naturally, both of them get through...and Chicago Boyz and KrisTef Brothers get sent home.

If Kenichi pulls out all the stops next week, and doesn't make any mistakes, I don't see how he loses. Then again, I said the same thing with Jackie Evancho. Then again again, I said the same thing with Terry Fator, too...
Old 09-12-2013, 03:16 AM   #319
smbaker

Terrible results show. I was really looking forward to seeing the Kristef's final performance next week.

Finale is going to be full of uninteresting singers and the season's lamest magician (does the kid know any other trick than having the judges guess something that later turns up in a box/envelope/bag? anything else?). I like the comedian, but I don't see him winning as his quirkiness is starting to have diminishing returns.

I really hope Kenichi can pull off as good a performance as the blockbuster he did two (or was it three?) episodes ago.

I blame Howard Stern with his constant "You're going through!" guarantees. I wonder if that didn't encourage some people not to vote.

ETA: I'm glad catapult didn't make it. They annoyed me by pre-explaining the performance ("boy vs monster!") and then the judges post-explaining it another several times, and finally Nick prompting them for yet another explanation after the judges' comments. Performance either stands on its own and makes sense or it doesn't.

I would have like to see either the cheerleader-dancers or the boy/girl dancers make it. Anything but more singers.

Last edited by smbaker : 09-12-2013 at 03:28 AM.
smbaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:48 AM   #320
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

The judges 100% sway people to vote the way they do. 98% of the time, if the judges call you out on something, you go home. And Chicago Boyz blew a couple of spots this week and the judges let them slide on it. America didnt.

Cant believe the Kristef's didnt make it through. Thats a travesty.
KungFuCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:51 AM   #321
morac
Cat God

You have to remember, this isn't a talent show, it's a popularity contest. How else could Olate Dogs have won last year?
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:35 PM   #322
smbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
You have to remember, this isn't a talent show, it's a popularity contest. How else could Olate Dogs have won last year?
I was impressed with their act this week. It was very high energy, there was a lot happening, and the dogs did some pretty cool things.
smbaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:34 PM   #323
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbaker View Post
I was impressed with their act this week. It was very high energy, there was a lot happening, and the dogs did some pretty cool things.
I don't dispute that it's a good act, but there were better acts last year.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:08 AM   #324
super dave
Upgrade Willy

A tell all book is about to be released, and what a shocker the show is staged. Reality TV isn't real?

http://radaronline.com/exclusives/20...as-got-talent/
Old 09-13-2013, 11:19 AM   #325
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by super dave View Post
A tell all book is about to be released, and what a shocker the show is staged. Reality TV isn't real?

http://radaronline.com/exclusives/20...as-got-talent/
I had not known about the one guy (Joe Finley) auditioning just after the cops showed him a photo of his murdered wife back at the hotel in LA.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:12 PM   #326
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayjoans View Post
We did learn, however, that the Spice Girl can't read an analog watch. Not surprising.
I believe it was her eyesight and not her ability to read an analog watch. As someone who has reading glasses, I wouldn't have been able to read it either.

But then again I love Mel B and think she has been a great addition to the judging panel - as has Heidi Klum - although I was thinking today how much I love Project Runway Heidi Klum and don't care so much for AGT Heidi Klum. They seriously seem like two different people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayjoans View Post
Key's switching of the bags on the table made no sense either.
There has been a ton of discussion of how he does his tricks. This was the first one that was so ridiculously obvious to me. I am guessing a bait and switch and for some reason he had to move the expensive watch to the first position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbaker View Post
Finale is going to be full of uninteresting singers
AGT always has some middle of the road appeals to middle America singer in the top. Bet that country dude sings some god bless america song next week.

I always thought they should have some kind of ban or restriction on solo singers.

Last edited by Cainebj : 09-14-2013 at 02:14 PM. Reason: more
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:08 PM   #327
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
I always thought they should have some kind of ban or restriction on solo singers.
Well, the "obvious" reason they didn't in the past was, where could the singers younger than 16 (later 15) or older than 28 go? Of course, now with The X Factor, the only ones who can't go anywhere else are the ones younger than 12, and how many of those are there?

Also, do you honestly believe a classical/opera singer has any chance whatsoever on American Idol or The X Factor?
Old 09-14-2013, 11:41 PM   #328
SueAnn
Minion

I wish they had a kids only version of the show and an adults version.
SueAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:52 PM   #329
nickels
opinionated dope

Jimmy F-ing Rose. What a load of crap. I can fart a better tune. Catapult got screwed. The rest were OK choices. Let's face it, America is full of rubes who think a mediocre country singer is a top six talent. Please.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:56 PM   #330
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

Wow...no comments on the finale? (Or is there a thread just for that?)

Kinichi's second performance was a-ma-zing-I want him to win, and if he doesn't win I want Taylor Williamson to win. Anyone but one of the solo singers!

Collins Key-MEH!