TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-13-2013, 01:43 AM   #1
gpx123

tivo detected a serious problem.... time for fios dvr?

After enjoying my tivo premiere for 2 years i have now received the dreaded screen of death, its been more than 6 hours and it continues to go from almost there to blank screen to back to almost there. I've already unplugged it etc... I spent $700 for the tivo with life subscription + $100 for an external hard drive... what do you guys think should i switch to fios or is it worth paying $150 to .weaknees to fix it?

My biggest concern is I don't want to deal with a breakdown every year or two, has anyone had any experience after fixing their tivo, is it likely to break again? Thanks!
gpx123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:08 AM   #2
Arcady
Stargate Fan

The external drives always seem to fail in 12-24 months. Anyone who has one that still works after two years should enter the lottery.

Unplug the external and see if the TiVo will divorce it and repair. Then never ever plug in an external again.

If it doesn't repair itself, you can just replace the internal drive.
Slingbox M1

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:12 AM   #3
BigJimOutlaw

If removing the external drive doesn't solve the problem, it could be an internal hard drive death. You can replace it yourself rather easily.

There are folks like DVR Dude on ebay that sell ready-to-install replacement drives. All you need are T10 and T15 torx screwdrivers. Easy as pie.
BigJimOutlaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:00 PM   #4
gpx123

Hey guys thanks for the advice I decided to buy the hard drive myself, I have a TiVo Premiere (R74632)

Will this XL4 2TB work for my premiere I bought the most basic one so will it matter or does it only work for XL4?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TiVo-Premier...item485619b845

Also since I'll be replacing the hard drive and it will be open anyways i might as well replace the fan too i bought a replacement fan a while ago and never installed it, is it just as easy as the hard drive to replace? Any good place with picture or video instructions?
Old 09-13-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
poofy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
Anyone who has one that still works after two years should enter the lottery.
My WD external HD has been working fine since 2009. I might take your recommendation and start buying lottery tickets, although I think it is a waste of money!
poofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:30 PM   #6
gpx123

Think I'll be buying this one:

http://www.amazon.com/WD-AV-GP-Video...dp/B0042AG9V8/

I read somewhere about people having trouble with "green" and startups not sure if this one is green but will i have to do anything adjusting or will it just be plug and play?
Old 09-13-2013, 01:49 PM   #7
jrtroo
User

On the external drive: They are always the first thing to investigate with a tivo failure. The older 500 GB drives had a fairly high failure rate, its rare that we hear of one of them still in operation. If yours still works it seems a mixture of luck and luck, go get a scratch off ticket.

On installing a new drive: Go to the upgrade forum and follow the instructions. Its not hard, but its not "plug and play".
Old 09-13-2013, 02:10 PM   #8
gpx123

Thanks jrtroo so am i required to do all this:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=455968

and use the jmfs software? i was under the impression that if i didnt care to lose all my recordings that i could just not use the software and just connect it and start fresh would that not work?

update:

can i just follow these instructions and not do anything else? this seems pretty plug and playish

http://www.weaknees.com/instructions...s4-replace.pdf
Old 09-13-2013, 02:20 PM   #9
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpx123 View Post
Think I'll be buying this one:

http://www.amazon.com/WD-AV-GP-Video...dp/B0042AG9V8/

I read somewhere about people having trouble with "green" and startups not sure if this one is green but will i have to do anything adjusting or will it just be plug and play?
The WD Caviar Greens have or had a feature called Intellipark which caused trouble when they were used in TiVos.

One needed to use a utility from WD called wdidle3.exe to disable it.

The WD20EURS is a WD, and it's "green", but it's not, strictly speaking, one of the Caviar Green line, and the ones I've gotten so far have not had Intellipark enabled in the first place (and I'm not sure if it's even possible to do so on that model).

Many people have used that model successfully to put as much storage as possible into a Premiere (or Series 3), however it will not be plug and play in the sense that first one needs to put the Premiere software on the drive, and then expand into the rest of the drive.

You can't just put in a blank drive and have the TiVo handle the rest.

(although apparently that's now possible with the newest Series 5 TiVos)

Also, putting in a drive with the software from a different TiVo may not work out properly.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:37 PM   #10
gpx123

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
The WD Caviar Greens have or had a feature called Intellipark which caused trouble when they were used in TiVos.

One needed to use a utility from WD called wdidle3.exe to disable it.

The WD20EURS is a WD, and it's "green", but it's not, strictly speaking, one of the Caviar Green line, and the ones I've gotten so far have not had Intellipark enabled in the first place (and I'm not sure if it's even possible to do so on that model).

Many people have used that model successfully to put as much storage as possible into a Premiere (or Series 3), however it will not be plug and play in the sense that first one needs to put the Premiere software on the drive, and then expand into the rest of the drive.

You can't just put in a blank drive and have the TiVo handle the rest.

(although apparently that's now possible with the newest Series 5 TiVos)

Also, putting in a drive with the software from a different TiVo may not work out properly.
Ah very useful post, thanks so much! So after I get the hard drive it will be blank, and I would need to install the premiere software makes sense, but if my current drive is dead then wouldnt that transfer fail anyways?

So maybe as being a "noob" would I be better off buying it from this guy on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:X:RTQ:US:1123

I assume he already has the premiere software installed because he told me all i would have to do is install and click clear & delete everything. So what do you think unitron does that hd the ebay guy selling seem good?
Old 09-13-2013, 03:11 PM   #11
unitron

Quote:
Ah very useful post, thanks so much! So after I get the hard drive it will be blank, and I would need to install the premiere software makes sense, but if my current drive is dead then wouldnt that transfer fail anyways?

So maybe as being a "noob" would I be better off buying it from this guy on ebay:

I assume he already has the premiere software installed because he told me all i would have to do is install and click clear & delete everything. So what do you think unitron does that hd the ebay guy selling seem good?

Unfamiliar with him, and have not seen him mentioned around here before.

However, from that listing:

" NEW Western Digital " green " hard drive , quiet and cool running for many years of use in AV systems running 24/7 ( TIVOs etc. ) . Just swap out your current TIVO hard disc for this one ( instructions provided ) . Gives you 318 HD hours of recording and over 2000 hrs. Standard Definition . NOT for TCD652160 ."

But also from that listing:

"New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item in its original packaging "

That cannot be true if he's put the software on the drive, and where he says "instructions provided", that may mean instructions on doing the physical swap or it may include "hook up both drives to a PC and run this software that you need to download".

He's not specific at all.

And he doesn't specify exactly which model WD drive it is, either.

And there's the question of whether the WD warranty on that drive would still be valid.

But his customers all seem to be happy.

There's another eBay pre-prepared drive seller called dvrdude or something like that who I have seen mentioned favorably around here in the past, 'though I haven't seen mention of any kind of him in a while.

And of course TCF sponsors weaKnees and dvrupgrade offer "ready to go" drives as well, so you might as well at least click through and see what they have to offer.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:24 PM   #12
jrtroo
User

Quote:

Buying a pre-formatting drive makes it very clean and simple.

You may be able to make the upgrade from the existing drive, it depends upon what is wrong with it. If you have not tried the kickstart codes you can try them, they have been successful in the past. You can also try the drive mfr tool to find/fix the error, at least enough to attempt the upgrade yourself. No guarantees, but that has worked for me.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:48 PM   #13
gpx123

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Buying a pre-formatting drive makes it very clean and simple.

You may be able to make the upgrade from the existing drive, it depends upon what is wrong with it. If you have not tried the kickstart codes you can try them, they have been successful in the past. You can also try the drive mfr tool to find/fix the error, at least enough to attempt the upgrade yourself. No guarantees, but that has worked for me.
Ah I didnt know about that, I just ran a kickstart for hd check but didn't seem to do the check. Just went back to the green detect a serious problem thing. Will look into preformatted drives thanks
Old 09-13-2013, 08:22 PM   #14
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Will this XL4 2TB work for my premiere I bought the most basic one so will it matter or does it only work for XL4?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TiVo-Premier...item485619b845
If you go with a Tivo pre-formatted drive, just make sure it is for your Tivo model. An XL4 drive could give you problems in a regular Premiere. If you want a space upgrade, there are 2TB drives that work with basic Premieres.
BigJimOutlaw is online now   Reply With Quote