TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-08-2013, 11:42 PM   #1
RusRus

Tivo Desk Top Program

OK, I'm totally confused. I don't have Tivo Desktop Plus but I do have Tivo Desk Top (the free version).

There is all this talk of "transferring" recorded programs from the Tivo DVR to the computer using DTP.

Using just Desk Top I can copy, not transfer, a recording from my DVR to my computer and I can view the show both on my computer and my TV.

If I delete the show on my DVR I can still view it on my PC. If I delete if from my PC I can still view it on my TV.

So what I'm saying is I am not transferring the program from my DVR to my PC; I'm "copying" the show.

If I come back from a trip I do not have to "transfer" unseen shows back to my DVR as they were never "transferred" to begin with but only copied.

Shouldn't we be using the term copy and not transfer when referring to recordings from our DVR to our PC? Or is this just semantics?
RusRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:55 PM   #2
waynomo
My One Time

I guess technically you're correct. Never really thought about it before. I find no real reason to care. Everyone here knows what everyone is talking about if they say they transferred a show using TTG.
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:21 AM   #3
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Maybe TiVo doesn't like to use the word "copy", which insinuates "theft" when you're dealing with the content providers.
And "transfer" is more appropriate when referring to TD Plus, as the plus feature allows you to transfer video files that are not normally compatible with the Tivo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:09 AM   #4
RusRus

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
I guess technically you're correct. Never really thought about it before. I find no real reason to care. Everyone here knows what everyone is talking about if they say they transferred a show using TTG.
Then why would you have to transfer shows back to your DVR?
RusRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:21 PM   #5
mattack

I don't use Windows, so this is more just an academic question.

Does Tivo Desktop successfully transfer programs that will NOT transfer with kmttg? That is, shows that have a slight video glitch will stop transferring at that point with kmttg. (If you transfer BETWEEN Tivos, the full program is transferred.) ...and with the breakage of the 'transfer from pause point' in recent Tivo software (the DVR end), you can't even use that as a workaround (if the glitch happened to be at a convenient point).
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:08 AM   #6
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Does Tivo Desktop successfully transfer programs that will NOT transfer with kmttg?
No. There is only one mechanism for TTG, which they both use.

Sometimes it helps to use transport stream mode (which they both support). TiVo Desktop calls it the "faster" mode, or something like that; KMTTG labels the option "Download TiVo files in Transport Stream mode", under "Program Options".

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:22 AM   #7
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusRus View Post
Then why would you have to transfer shows back to your DVR?
To watch it if you deleted it from the TiVo manually or it got deleted for space reasons.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:33 AM   #8
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusRus View Post
OK, I'm totally confused. I don't have Tivo Desktop Plus but I do have Tivo Desk Top (the free version).

There is all this talk of "transferring" recorded programs from the Tivo DVR to the computer using DTP.

Using just Desk Top I can copy, not transfer, a recording from my DVR to my computer and I can view the show both on my computer and my TV.

If I delete the show on my DVR I can still view it on my PC. If I delete if from my PC I can still view it on my TV.

So what I'm saying is I am not transferring the program from my DVR to my PC; I'm "copying" the show.

If I come back from a trip I do not have to "transfer" unseen shows back to my DVR as they were never "transferred" to begin with but only copied.

Shouldn't we be using the term copy and not transfer when referring to recordings from our DVR to our PC? Or is this just semantics?
You are correct, it's really copying, and calling it a transfer is somewhat misleading.

But that's what TiVo calls it.

But at least they're consistently wrong.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:04 AM   #9
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
You are correct, it's really copying, and calling it a transfer is somewhat misleading.

But that's what TiVo calls it.

But at least they're consistently wrong.
It's not just what "TiVo calls it", it's what everybody calls it. When you use FTP (File Transfer Protocol) to "get" or "put" a file, it isn't automatically removed from the source system.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:19 AM   #10
Ricco67

I own the desktop plus version and I thought t was a godsend. If my TiVo was getting full, is just park it on my desktop and either put it back when I had room or transfer it to my phone.

For some reason, the program doesn't work anymore, but simply had the time to troubleshoot it.
Ricco67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:54 PM   #11
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
No. There is only one mechanism for TTG, which they both use.

Sometimes it helps to use transport stream mode (which they both support). TiVo Desktop calls it the "faster" mode, or something like that; KMTTG labels the option "Download TiVo files in Transport Stream mode", under "Program Options".
Bummer, I thought *maybe* Tivo Desktop used the same 'transfer' that happens between Tivos, which is NOT screwed up by glitched recordings.

Since Tivo is 'just' running a web server underneath, I really don't quite get how this causes an error anyway.. It's not like it's getting an I/O error. It's probably a relatively simple bug that could be fixed!!!
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:45 PM   #12
moyekj

Quote:
Bummer, I thought *maybe* Tivo Desktop used the same 'transfer' that happens between Tivos, which is NOT screwed up by glitched recordings.

Since Tivo is 'just' running a web server underneath, I really don't quite get how this causes an error anyway.. It's not like it's getting an I/O error. It's probably a relatively simple bug that could be fixed!!!
I think I've explained it before - it's much, much more than byte transfers happening which is why TTG historically has been CPU limited. There's decrypt, demux, remux, encrypt happening and glitches sometimes seem to break 1 or more of those tasks. In contrast MRV is likely just byte transfers, so glitches don't matter at all.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:43 AM   #13
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricco67 View Post
I own the desktop plus version and I thought t was a godsend. If my TiVo was getting full, is just park it on my desktop and either put it back when I had room or transfer it to my phone.

For some reason, the program doesn't work anymore, but simply had the time to troubleshoot it.
Maybe it's that "expired cookie" screwup from last February.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:18 AM   #14
JeffKusnitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Maybe it's that "expired cookie" screwup from last February.
Link to the fix for the cookie issue: here
JeffKusnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:20 AM   #15
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
I can assure you glitches also affect MRV transfers. I had an MRV transfer failure just yesterday.
I will note however, that the glitch caused the playback to freeze on the originating Tivo.
Minor glitches that don't affect playback on the originating Tivo usually don't cause a problem for MRV.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:20 AM   #16
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffKusnitz View Post
Link to the fix for the cookie issue: here
All hail notting and morac!

Heroes of the St. TiVo's Day Massacre!

Old 09-13-2013, 06:34 PM   #17
christheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Maybe TiVo doesn't like to use the word "copy", which insinuates "theft" when you're dealing with the content providers.
And "transfer" is more appropriate when referring to TD Plus, as the plus feature allows you to transfer video files that are not normally compatible with the Tivo.
Bingo. Transfer can mean whatever you want it to. IE "I transferred this temporary tattoo", or "These reels of celluloid film are about to be transferred using that Film Transfer service." Different meanings. Ambiguous word. Possibly ambiguous for a reason.

Last edited by christheman : 09-13-2013 at 06:40 PM.
christheman is offline   Reply With Quote