TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-13-2013, 01:02 PM   #1
macevedo

MoCA to Ethernet

I have the Roamio and two minis connected over MoCA. In one of the rooms I have a PS3, WD TV Live and an Apple TV. I used to have them connected via Powerline adapter but since now I have MoCA connecting the mini I though maybe I could use the ActionTec to go from MoCA to ethernet by plugging the cable that from the wall to the MoCA Adapter and then the Ethernet cable to an ethernet switch.

Will this kind of setup work?

Thanks.
macevedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:10 PM   #2
socrplyr

Yes, that is the exact purpose of a MoCA-Ethernet bridge.
socrplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:21 PM   #3
donnoh

I used to have a similar setup with my two Premieres, but I had a MoCA adapter tied into my wireless router. Now that I've replaced them with a Mini and a Roamio, the Roamio has a MoCA connection to the wireless router and I have a switch plugged into back of the ethernet port on the Roamio and several devices get their internet connection through the switch. If you have a switch laying around you could try this with the Mini to see if it operates the same way. The worst case would be you use a MoCA adapter where the Mini is and plug everything everything into a switch.
donnoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #4
Smirks
.:. Hello .:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnoh View Post
I used to have a similar setup with my two Premieres, but I had a MoCA adapter tied into my wireless router. Now that I've replaced them with a Mini and a Roamio, the Roamio has a MoCA connection to the wireless router and I have a switch plugged into back of the ethernet port on the Roamio and several devices get their internet connection through the switch. If you have a switch laying around you could try this with the Mini to see if it operates the same way. The worst case would be you use a MoCA adapter where the Mini is and plug everything everything into a switch.
The mini cannot act as a MoCA bridge, only the Plus or Pro can.
Smirks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:06 PM   #5
macevedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrplyr View Post
Yes, that is the exact purpose of a MoCA-Ethernet bridge.
Thanks, but will I be able to use the Roamio on one end and the Actiontec in the other or do I need to have an actiontec on each side?
macevedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:27 PM   #6
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by macevedo View Post
Thanks, but will I be able to use the Roamio on one end and the Actiontec in the other or do I need to have an actiontec on each side?
What's establishing your moca network? If it's the Roamio, you can put the actiontec anywhere.

If it's the actiontec, you'd need another actiontec at the location of the ethernet switch (unless the switch is at the location of a Roamio plus/pro, in which case you can connect the ethernet switch to the Plus/Pro.)
BigJimOutlaw is online now   Reply With Quote